Knife Making

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Knife Making

Post by Gwion » 16 Sep 2016, 10:58 am

Here are a couple that I should have upto polishing stage by the end of the day.

I have to re-heat treat the one on the right because it developed a warp while I was tempering the spine to a spring blue. Tempering worked great but I heated one side too fast and it took a woop...

Blade length on the right is 5". Not convinced I like the handle shape on either one so I might tweak that as well.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.27 MiB) Viewed 4213 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 16 Sep 2016, 5:58 pm

Looking good mate !

Gee, you don't mess around. I like the finger grips on the skinner, really looks like it would have a nice feel to it. :thumbsup:

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 17 Sep 2016, 11:01 am

Didn't quite get to polishing stage. They are in the oven tempering now. I couldn't get all the woop out of the 'bush knife, so i ground it out. It has turned into a full flat grind that is looking more like a cooks knife than anything else. The skinning knife is coming up nice too! That is a lost stock knife. I got some "spring steel" from a local engineering shop. The bloke said it had been on the shelf for 15-20 years! Anyhoo... he doesn't know exactly what steel it is so the heat treatment took a bit of experimenting. I think i have it down ok. I just bought a short length that has made two knives. I might get some more if it stands up to some testing.

Will post some pics later.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 17 Sep 2016, 10:52 pm

Looking forward to seeing the pics mate, as always.. :thumbsup:

Jeff

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 18 Sep 2016, 7:51 am

Bah!!!!

I only have a combustion stove and the oven is ******....

Put the knives in to temper at what said 220C for 2hrs... Should have come out light straw yellow.... Came out Spring blue, which means it was WAY hotter than 220C!!! Will be too soft for a good edge so I have to go through the whole heat treat again!!!

NOT HAPPY JAN!!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (953.72 KiB) Viewed 4188 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 18 Sep 2016, 3:12 pm

Bugger ! Looking good otherwise mate..

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Noisydad » 30 Sep 2016, 6:26 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 4597 times
Gwion wrote:
Noisydad wrote:
tom604 wrote:go on...you know you want to,,,,it will be sooo good,,,,no one will know,,,,just try it,,,once,,,one time wont hurt you,,,you could give it up anytime you want..go on just a butter knife,,it's not like it's bowie :thumbsup: you will look 8-) :P

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Well.....I do have a forge and an anvil.......nooooo. Must resist......I have heaps of charcoal........must fight it off......

:lol:
You cannot resist the power of the forge, young Skywalker!
:lol:

....in my most angst ridden, over acted Charlton Heston face.....Damn you Gwion....DAMN YOU TO HELL!
Last edited by Noisydad on 30 Sep 2016, 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 30 Sep 2016, 6:34 pm

That's going to be a beauty, can't wait to see it in action. :clap:

How are you going to do the tracking adjustment ?

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by tom604 » 30 Sep 2016, 6:49 pm

and so it begins, :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 30 Sep 2016, 6:54 pm

darwindingo wrote:That's going to be a beauty, can't wait to see it in action. :clap:

How are you going to do the tracking adjustment ?

the idler wheel will swing a little with screw adjustment.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 30 Sep 2016, 7:00 pm

:drinks: , I'm paying close attention as I want to make one up. :thumbsup:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 30 Sep 2016, 11:32 pm

Bah...hahahaha!!!

Good stuff, Noisy. Make sure you set it at a good height for yourself and give yourself a slack belt option as well as a platen.

Wish i had the welding skills, mechanical know how or the cash you build/buy a proper belt grinder. The way mine is set up it already showing limitations.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 17 Jun 2017, 9:00 am

Well, bladesmithing season is upon us!

Here are some I've been working on. Trying to get a bunch up to polish stage and then fit handles to them all. I'm also working on a simple design that is easy to knock out for the test knives I promised last season. I'll make 4 in total.

Pics below.
image.jpg
Top to bottom: weed slasher to go on a long handle like a small pole arm, the two I was working on last season now heat treated and tempered, failed kitchen knife (tang too thin), small utility knife, medium camp knife ready for initial grind, kitchen utility.
image.jpg (281.96 KiB) Viewed 4457 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 17 Jun 2017, 9:08 am

image.jpg
Small utility, medium camp and kitchen utility ground and ready for hardening in the forge/quench.
image.jpg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 4456 times

image.jpg
Small utility polished, hardened and bolster fitted waiting for handle.
image.jpg (1.07 MiB) Viewed 4456 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 17 Jun 2017, 9:16 am

image.jpg
Skandi utility rough ground
image.jpg (913.12 KiB) Viewed 4456 times

image.jpg
Rustic skinner forged and rough ground
image.jpg (963.08 KiB) Viewed 4456 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 17 Jun 2017, 9:24 am

image.jpg
Skandi & skinner ready to harden, medium camp and kitchen utility polished and waiting for handles.
image.jpg (934.37 KiB) Viewed 4456 times

image.jpg
Farrier's rasp being forged into a heavy camp zombie slayer :lol:
image.jpg (1.39 MiB) Viewed 4456 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 17 Jun 2017, 9:31 am

image.jpg
Skandi & skinner ready to fit handles.
image.jpg (328.35 KiB) Viewed 4456 times

image.jpg
Zombie slayer hardened, differentially tempered and ready to take an edge and test. I think it's a bit heavy and will grind down the bevels more and reproduce the hilt a touch before it is finished but want to test toughness and edge retention first. I think I kneed to make a longer, narrower version for extra zombie chopping reach! :lol:
image.jpg (192.63 KiB) Viewed 4456 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 17 Jun 2017, 6:25 pm

Gwion wrote:Well, bladesmithing season is upon us!

Here are some I've been working on. Trying to get a bunch up to polish stage and then fit handles to them all. I'm also working on a simple design that is easy to knock out for the test knives I promised last season. I'll make 4 in total.

Pics below.
image.jpg

Nice work mate... Dibs on the skinner :D You know I love that lil skinner... :friends:

Itching to put it to the test on some sambar :thumbsup:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Noisydad » 17 Jun 2017, 6:45 pm

Just when I thought this time burner was out of my system you have to go and stir the pot again...although my 87 year old father wants a Bowie so it's off to the shed again this week. Think I'll do a studded coffin shaped handle.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 17 Jun 2017, 6:59 pm

Sounds good Noisy, can"t wait to see it.. :thumbsup:

Damn I need to get to work on my belt grinder :) Well as soon as I finish all the other projects I have been slaving away at for the missus :wtf:

BTW.. G, I wouldn't say that the Kitchen knife is "failed" just get creative with the handle and set it up to have the tang exposed on the spine and hidden on the belly ;) would sort the issue and make for a nice interesting looking knife imo...

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 18 Jun 2017, 7:56 am

Noisydad wrote:Just when I thought this time burner was out of my system you have to go and stir the pot again...although my 87 year old father wants a Bowie so it's off to the shed again this week. Think I'll do a studded coffin shaped handle.

Sounds good, Noisy.
Last edited by Gwion on 18 Jun 2017, 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 18 Jun 2017, 8:18 am

darwindingo wrote:
Nice work mate... Dibs on the skinner :D You know I love that lil skinner... :friends:

Jeff

It will be at least a couple of weeks before I get handles on any, mate. I'm ordering some phenolic resin (heat cured resin) to vacuum impregnate some maple and Blackwood for scales and handle blocks. Got all the gear, just need the resin. It will make the handles tough as nails! I'll do extras and sell some. As you know, I have some pretty speccy timber that would make some A-grade blanks for handles and other pieces.

If you're still keen for the knife when it's done, your name is on it! :thumbsup:

That kitchen knife was just ground too thin across the spine and the tang/blade join got down to about 1mm. Not worth finishing due to questionable strength. I do like the shape though.
I have a number of knife shaped pieces of steel that ended up too thin because I forged them out too far (and unevenly) before going to the grinder and lost too much material correcting warps and wobbles.all part of the learning curve and my forging skills have improved a lot. You don't learn by getting things right; you learn by screwing them up!

Knocked out 'Zombie Slayer #2' in about 1.5 hours last night. Will post some pics later. I think I like it! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 18 Jun 2017, 10:25 pm

Gwion wrote:
darwindingo wrote:

Jeff

It will be at least a couple of weeks before I get handles on any, mate. I'm ordering some phenolic resin (heat cured resin) to vacuum impregnate some maple and Blackwood for scales and handle blocks. Got all the gear, just need the resin. It will make the handles tough as nails! I'll do extras and sell some. As you know, I have some pretty speccy timber that would make some A-grade blanks for handles and other pieces.

If you're still keen for the knife when it's done, your name is on it! :thumbsup:

That kitchen knife was just ground too thin across the spine and the tang/blade join got down to about 1mm. Not worth finishing due to questionable strength. I do like the shape though.
I have a number of knife shaped pieces of steel that ended up too thin because I forged them out too far (and unevenly) before going to the grinder and lost too much material correcting warps and wobbles.all part of the learning curve and my forging skills have improved a lot. You don't learn by getting things right; you learn by screwing them up!

Knocked out 'Zombie Slayer #2' in about 1.5 hours last night. Will post some pics later. I think I like it! :lol:

:D I'm keen mate, thanks....

So you ended up getting a vac chamber ? How big is it ? Big enough to do stock blanks ? Just thinking that some beautiful stocks and pistol grips etc...etc.. could be produced from the timber you have... I've also had good reports from blokes using vac bags for such things...

Absolutely agree that the best lessons are learned from the screw ups :thumbsup: One can read a million books, but its not until you get hands on and do the hard yards that you truly develop skills....

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 19 Jun 2017, 12:52 pm

Yeah, I got a vac chamber but it isn't huge. I think it should be wide enough for a stock blank but i would have to get a taller chamber to fit a stock. All i would need is a cylinder of the same diameter as all other hardware is easily transferable. I have looked at vac bagging but it is an expensive exercise and a bit more complicated than a simple chamber set up. I will be able to do plenty of knife scales, pistol handles, pen blanks, etc..
Should have the resin to get started by next week! :D

I bought the chamber, pump, etc and then a teacher mate picked up another pump from his school's science lab as they were replacing and discarding the old one. It's actually a better unit than the one i payed for, so i now have two! :lol:

Maybe i should test them both and sell the new one off is the old one works fine because i'm pretty skint right now! :problem:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 21 Jun 2017, 2:24 pm

All waiting to be put together and finished off. A few detailing decisions to be made. Resin is ordered and on the way.

image.jpg
image.jpg (1.28 MiB) Viewed 4837 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (858.31 KiB) Viewed 4837 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 21 Jun 2017, 6:54 pm

Gwion wrote:All waiting to be put together and finished off. A few detailing decisions to be made. Resin is ordered and on the way.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looking good mate :thumbsup:

How beautiful is that spalted maple :D That spalting will POP even more once subjected to the stabilisation process :D

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 21 Jun 2017, 7:02 pm

darwindingo wrote:
Gwion wrote:All waiting to be put together and finished off. A few detailing decisions to be made. Resin is ordered and on the way.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Looking good mate :thumbsup:

How beautiful is that spalted maple :D That spalting will POP even more once subjected to the stabilisation process :D

:thumbsup:
Sure will!
Just got to pick the right bits for the right knife. I should get a few knives out of each piece. They measure about 240x60mm. Possibly 4 knives per blank on the smaller handles.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 22 Jun 2017, 9:48 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg (793.61 KiB) Viewed 4816 times

image.jpg
image.jpg (810.28 KiB) Viewed 4816 times

Very happy with this!

Also, phenolic resin arrived today so it's all coming together now! :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 23 Jun 2017, 3:14 pm

That's a really nice looking knife. Great job.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 23 Jun 2017, 3:15 pm

Thanks HH! :D
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

PreviousNext