Knife Making

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Knife Making

Post by Gwion » 12 Jul 2017, 8:36 pm

4 finished up over the last couple of weeks. All off to new homes.

Next job it to make these test knives for you guys! :thumbsup:

image.jpg
image.jpg (903.09 KiB) Viewed 4816 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by happyhunter » 13 Jul 2017, 9:09 am

Great work Gwion.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 13 Jul 2017, 9:32 am

:D
Thanks, mate. :)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 13 Jul 2017, 7:47 pm

Gwion wrote:Ready to go, Darwin Dingo!

Just an edge to grind and serial number to engrave. Are you a superstitious type? This is number 13 finished! :lol:

A few little scratches and such but all in all I'm pretty pleased with it.
image.jpg

image.jpg

It looks awesome mate (they all do) :D :friends: :drinks:

You need to get a website set up for stabilised blanks etc.. mate.... I was thinking that I could take the knife down to the men's shed and the local wood clubs (in Albury, Wodonga, Wangaratta and could send some pics to some blokes I know that are involved in such places in the NT also) to showcase the beautiful wood you have available (It may help generate a market for you) I visited the men's shed a few months back in Wodonga and encountered a number of wood turners there that were turning pens etc.. I suspect that they would quite likely purchase some stabilised blanks etc.. (postage would be reasonable for such items..)

I think that the wood clubs in particular could produce a reasonable customer base.... :thumbsup:

There is also a bloke that stocks various blanks in Wodonga as a business that I was told about, I've been meaning to go and see him.. He may well be Interested in adding another supplier to his list... I would be more than happy to explore the possibility and help make the connection, should he be interested.... :thumbsup:

A web site would be a good idea imo.. (Somewhere to refer people to)... Have you considered setting one up ? (we have some guys around here that may be of assistance in that regard)....

Edit.. Oh and no I'm not superstitious ;) 13 has always proved to be a lucky number for me :D

BTW.....You say "A few little scratches and such but all in all I'm pretty pleased with it" Let me assure you I'm not concerned about a few little scratches mate, it looks to be a very nice looking and well balanced knife to me mate (just looks like its going to feel real good in the hand)...
Feel free to be " All in all pretty pleased with it" but, from what I'm seeing you should be as proud as a pig in $hit (so to speak) IMO... :thumbsup:

Further Edit........Just showed these pics to my mate's friend's grand pa after the topic came up, He apparently made knives for many years when he was younger and said, "This young fella has the eye !" ........ He was impressed with your designs.... Personally I agree with his comment's (except for the young fella bit, as you are several years older than me mate) :P :P :lol: ... :thumbsup:

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 14 Jul 2017, 5:22 am

Hey mate. I'd really appreciate anything you could do to drum up some potential sales. AT any rate, I hope you like the knife and get a lot of good use out of it.
I'll PM you for your details as they were in my other phone that cracked itself a while a go. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Jul 2017, 8:37 pm

Moved. Post deleted
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 29 Jul 2017, 6:46 pm

One I made for my wife's birthday. Really happy with the stabilisation process and finishing technique I've been developing.
I have another two finally shed and another custom order almost done and 3 others to fit handles to that I will list on Etsy. Another custom request for a Japanese inspired cooks knife..... Still planning to make these testers for you guys but paid orders are taking priority at the moment.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.08 MiB) Viewed 4723 times

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1 MiB) Viewed 4723 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 30 Jul 2017, 7:25 pm

Looking really good mate ! I can see this turning into a full time job... :D

Btw.. Tracking indicates the skinner is in Seymour atm.. so may turn up here tomorrow.. :D :D :D

Last edited by darwindingo on 30 Jul 2017, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 30 Jul 2017, 7:32 pm

Nah... Just a winter hobby that turns a bit of extra cash. Once you count all the consumables etc, there's teally not much money in it unless I was selling for primo prices.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 31 Jul 2017, 7:27 pm

Hey Gwion

The skinner turned up today :D I have to say that the posted pictures really don't do it justice.. This is one seriously nice knife, the finishing is outstanding and it is very well balanced (razor sharp too) :clap: It feel's superb in the hand, I can hardly bring myself to put it down... Also, thanks for making the sheath for it 8-)

Thanks again for the knife :friends: I'm one very happy Dingo.. :D

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 01 Aug 2017, 8:51 am

:thumbsup:
All good, mate. Just make sure you report back on performance; good or bad.

Also you probably want to touch up the gut hook with an ezi-lap pen diamond steel.my sharpening tools didn't really get in there very well.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 01 Aug 2017, 8:59 pm

Will do :thumbsup: Hope to get out for a hunt soon, with luck I'll get a deer and can break this baby in... :D

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by darwindingo » 04 Aug 2017, 10:44 pm

Hey Gwion

I'm doing a little recon, in preparation for my belt grinder build...

I have a few of questions regarding your belt grinder....

1.. Does it have variable speed control ?

2.. What speed or speed range does it run ?

3.. What attachments do you have for it, particularly regarding small radius grinding ? Pic's would be great !

I'm thinking that speed control would likely be a beneficial addition, particularly when using small radius attachments as they would end up running some serious rpm otherwise (I would think that could be pretty hard on the bearings)..

Any thoughts / recommendations or suggestions, would be appreciated.. :thumbsup:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 05 Aug 2017, 7:37 pm

G'day mate. If you look at the first page or so of this thread you will see my grinder. It is a single speed 1220x100mm jobbie. It is not at all ideal for knife making as it is just a plug & play device and since i bought that there are grinders more suited to knife making available on Ebay for around the same price i paid to set that machine up. Belts for mine are in limited availability in grits and types. The most commonly used belt size in knife making is 1830x50mm, so i would go with this size for the range of belts available. As soon as i can afford it, i will upgrade to this size for the steel work and keep the old one to work timber and rough out basic outlines, etc.

Variable speed would be ideal but not essential. The biggest advantage in this would be reducing heat when using fine grits to finish grind your piece. As you suggest, various size contact wheels are ideal but, alas, i stuck using files and weird parts of my grinder to shape anything smaller than my single fixed contact wheel, you'll also want a flat platen and a tool rest.

Watch this youtube and go exploring from there to get some ideas and see some essentials: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfa9q-K4BK0

Cheers
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 05 Aug 2017, 9:38 pm

Very informative, thanks mate :thumbsup:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 14 Sep 2017, 9:08 am

So, here is a test knife going out for free to someone who is going to use and abuse it and report back on edge holding, toughness, etc.

I really like the blade shape and I'm pretty sure the heat treatment is good but there are issues with fit and finish such as scales misaligned and not positioned far enough up the riccasso as well as an ever so slight warp to the blade (to the left, looking down the spine).

I was thinking of refitting a new handle but due to the very very slight warp I don't think it is worth it so I am putting it out there as a testing blade.

Hands up anyone who wants it. Tell me what you will use it for and what sort of testing you'll put it too. It was intended as a GP hunting knife. I'll be making more of this blade shape because I think it is a winner.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.97 MiB) Viewed 4509 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Sep 2017, 11:09 am

I'll have it. Looks bloody great. Rabbits, foxes, perhaps a fallow if I get lucky. Going sambar hunting next month, again if I get lucky.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 14 Sep 2017, 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 14 Sep 2017, 12:35 pm

very nice work Gwion :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Sep 2017, 1:31 pm

marksman wrote:very nice work Gwion :thumbsup:

Yep, they sure look good.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 15 Sep 2017, 7:57 am

Thanks guys.

OB, i'll post it out to you if you PM me your postal details.

It will be marked TEST01 on the riccasso and polished up as it has some workshop sullying on it in that dodgy photo.

I was tempted to keep it myself and just use it as a junker knife and really torture it but i'm going to end up with quite a few knives as it it is without keeping ones that aren't up to sale standards.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Sep 2017, 10:25 pm

Thanks heaps. Can't wait to see it and give it a work out. Sounds like a good excuse to go hunting.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 16 Sep 2017, 7:47 pm

Gwion, think it's time you post a price list ;)
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 16 Sep 2017, 10:07 pm

Gwion wrote:So, here is a test knife going out for free to someone who is going to use and abuse it and report back on edge holding, toughness, etc.

I really like the blade shape and I'm pretty sure the heat treatment is good but there are issues with fit and finish such as scales misaligned and not positioned far enough up the riccasso as well as an ever so slight warp to the blade (to the left, looking down the spine).

I was thinking of refitting a new handle but due to the very very slight warp I don't think it is worth it so I am putting it out there as a testing blade.

Hands up anyone who wants it. Tell me what you will use it for and what sort of testing you'll put it too. It was intended as a GP hunting knife. I'll be making more of this blade shape because I think it is a winner.

image.jpeg

Nice design G :thumbsup: Thumb grip is a nice touch 8-)

BTW.. I went out the other day in search of deer (with the hope of breaking in the Skinner) Seen nothing but a crap load of sign from deer and dirt bikes..
Given the amount of fresh deer sign ( I should have been tripping over them ) It would appear that the deer had not been big fans of dirt bikes previously screaming around the area.. :thumbsdown:

Hopefully my next trip will produce a more satisfactory result... :unknown:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by juststarting » 16 Sep 2017, 10:11 pm

Uh, the old deer on a dirty bike trick, they do that sometimes.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Sep 2017, 11:23 pm

"dirty bike trick, " I know it well. It's a bummer. Waste all that time and fuel to find out they have all scattered for miles.
Since Gwion is being especially nice and sending me the other test knife, I guess I will have to make another trip pretty soon. :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 17 Sep 2017, 12:59 am

juststarting wrote:Uh, the old deer on a dirty bike trick, they do that sometimes.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Crusty Demons of Deer :lol: :lol: :lol:

:drinks: JS :drinks:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Stix » 17 Sep 2017, 9:11 pm

Hi Gwion,
I cant help but say good on you...!
(Btw im not fishing for a free knife--i cant use all the knives ive got...!)
Ive been watching this thread since joining very recently & cant help saying something.
I admire your passion for handcrafting your own knifes.

Reminds me of an old family friend (now deceased)--he was a fitter by trade, & in his retirement he made everything for kicks, even made his own engines for remote controlled model aircraft.
Other things he made were a... well lets call it a 'muzzle break' that he polised & blued to a brilliant gloss-best piece of steel ive ever seen !...& he made a few knives from old leaf springs...i still remember him showing me out in his shed...
Anyway, good stuff...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Sep 2017, 10:27 pm

Stix wrote:Hi Gwion,
I cant help but say good on you...!
(Btw im not fishing for a free knife--i cant use all the knives ive got...!)
Ive been watching this thread since joining very recently & cant help saying something.
I admire your passion for handcrafting your own knifes.

Reminds me of an old family friend (now deceased)--he was a fitter by trade, & in his retirement he made everything for kicks, even made his own engines for remote controlled model aircraft.
Other things he made were a... well lets call it a 'muzzle break' that he polised & blued to a brilliant gloss-best piece of steel ive ever seen !...& he made a few knives from old leaf springs...i still remember him showing me out in his shed...
Anyway, good stuff...!

+1
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 18 Sep 2017, 8:07 am

Cheers :D

I forged, rough ground and annealed the final two test knives on Saturday due to a rainy crappy day. They'll be half tang knives and I'm not going to put a lot of time into fit and finish as I intend them to be a test of metallurgy, edge retention, etc., not a test of how pretty I can make a blade; also, I giving them free to testers.

There is a crap load to do around here at the moment so I'm not getting to do much blade smithing. I have four blades near ready for fit and finish plus two that need an edge and sheath plus 4 orders I haven't even started yet (although one of the blades i have ready could possibly fill one of these orders).

I'll keep ticking away on wet days when I can't get other jobs done.

Juststarting, I've been selling the knive for between $160 & $250. Apprentice rates at this stage. I'm planning to make a standard bird and trout knife for around $160 once I come up with a design that I can knock out.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by TBJ » 18 Sep 2017, 6:21 pm

looks good mate they all look the goods, I've always wanted to give knife making a go, if only there was time and money for another hobby,
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation