A VERY close call!

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

A VERY close call!

Post by Noisydad » 14 Aug 2016, 8:32 pm

After a bit of deliberation, 2 weeks ago Lady Noisy took the plunge and bought a 12 month old AVAN camper (With everything - a gas hot water service, heater, aircon, tv, microwave, annex, shower) to use at various ranges on competition weekends. On Thursday while test starting the three way fridge on gas the van exploded into flames (I was talking to her on the phone and could hear the WOOF!). Fortunately she was not hurt (Though VERY shaken) and turned of the gas quickly but wasn't thinking very clearly and nearly panicking and smoke from the van was building. I shouted down the phone and told her to get her (permanently plumbed in at the house) fire pump running NOW which she did and was able put the fire out. A fire investigator was called in by the local CFA and will do his thing on Monday. The fully insured van is probably repairable but I think all the insides will need replacing. One of our club members is a gas fitter/plumber and tells us the supplier will be royaly reamed by the relevant authorities.
So. A message....Make damned sure your van comes with a appropriate certificates, get yours checked and BE PREPARED!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Re: A VERY close call!

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Aug 2016, 9:07 pm

Glad no one was hurt. Could have been very nasty indeed.

As it happens I'm getting may 3way gas fridge checked tuesday as not working on gas. . Only 4 months old. Guess that's better than " going like a house on fire ".
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Aug 2016, 9:25 pm

I think I would have let it burn to the ground, hopefully they will write it off mate.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 14 Aug 2016, 9:31 pm

Bloody hell! Close call..... glad everyone is safe and well.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Noisydad » 14 Aug 2016, 9:31 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I think I would have let it burn to the ground, hopefully they will write it off mate.

We thought of that later but it was quite close to the shed where $12000 worth of solar system backup generator and its bulk gas supply is located.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Aug 2016, 9:42 pm

Noisydad wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I think I would have let it burn to the ground, hopefully they will write it off mate.

We thought of that later but it was quite close to the shed where $12000 worth of solar system backup generator and its bulk gas supply is located.

Yeah that would certainly encourage you to put it out ASAP, glad no one got hurt mate, that's the important thing at the end of the day. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 15 Aug 2016, 12:40 am

Glad nobody's hurt, mate. How's the missus? not too shaken I hope
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Aug 2016, 7:51 am

Noisydad wrote:

Lucky the bulk gas wasn't leaking. Now that could have been very serious. Hope LN is OK.
Write off would be better I think.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 15 Aug 2016, 8:32 am

sandgroperbill wrote:Glad nobody's hurt, mate. How's the missus? not too shaken I hope

She's past the shaken stage and now at massive disappointment and pissed off stage. Fireys said she did everything right and praised her for having a fire pump plumbed in.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 15 Aug 2016, 4:18 pm

glad lady noisy is all right and bummer about the van :thumbsdown:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Mongrel » 15 Aug 2016, 5:47 pm

Good news LN is safe, couldve quite easily gone south..Fast
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 15 Aug 2016, 6:15 pm

Well the fire inspector came and did his thing and found straight out negligence! The gas hose to the fridge was laying hidden on the floor not even screwed on loose! He said that had LN stood there scratching her head for just 2 seconds more (wondering why it didn't light) and then hit the start button again there would have been enough fuel/air mixture in the cupboards and compartments to blow the van apart. He thinks she's only alive because she had already ignited the gas before it built up! He had no doubt that the gas fitting was done by the dealer and he will be launching prosecution. Starting to think that Lady Noisy is some kind of indestructible super hero because a plane crash into Sydney Harbour in the early 90s didn't get her, the Rwandan army in 95' didn't get her (in spite of a contract on her), her daughter on L plates hasn't got her (although that hasn't finished yet) and a BLEVE hasn't got her either!
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 15 Aug 2016, 6:31 pm

Great news that lady Noisy wasn't injured, not many can walk away unscathed from a gas blast. Prosecution will be interesting given that the van is 12 months old I assume it's second hand. I'd be having a close look at the contract of sale and looking for their liability escape clauses relating to sale being of a used item as is. If the selling dealer fitted the fridge and gas system then they have a duty of care but if not then it'll be a hard case to prove their negligence. I spent 4 years fighting a public liability claim and unless you can prove something way beyond reasonable doubt then it never happened.
She's fine and hopefully the insurance company takes care of the repairs / replacement which are the most important things.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Aug 2016, 8:00 pm

Crikey! !!!!!

Good to hear lady noisy is ok

There's another upside ... you're going to get a flash new fridge.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Noisydad » 15 Aug 2016, 8:15 pm

Yes the van was 2nd hand and had been worked on by the dealer. I guess all the legal side of the investigation is now someone else's concern.. We may not even hear the outcome. The insurance company has authorized the collection of quotes and they're all we now need to deal with. I thought it interesting that the the investigator said a typical 1kg fire extinguisher found in vans would not have put this fire out before emptying. Those of you with vans maybe should be looking at your fire plan and equipment.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 15 Aug 2016, 11:36 pm

LN would've made Jeremy Clarkson proud...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Return to Off topic - General conversation