Anyone into Wood Turning And / or Carving etc.. ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Anyone into Wood Turning And / or Carving etc.. ?

Post by darwindingo » 15 Sep 2016, 9:25 pm

G'Day

Any of you mob do any wood turning, carving ? I’d really like to see what you have done or anything you've been working on !

I carved and turned this recently, it was a lot of fun. :)

image(2).jpeg
image(2).jpeg (586.81 KiB) Viewed 4820 times

Sorry about the large pic :oops:

:drinks:

Jeff

Note... Edit due to replacing image from Photobucket... :roll:
Last edited by darwindingo on 30 Jul 2017, 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: Anyone into Wood Turning And / or Carving etc.. ?

Post by Supaduke » 15 Sep 2016, 9:51 pm

Nice spoon.....you must be an Essendon supporter :thumbsup:

Looks good though, is that Blackwood ?
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Sep 2016, 10:13 pm

Very nice mate, I recently got given the FIL ol Lathe and associated tools, haven't set it up yet as I have SFA idea how to use it, just another thing to learn about I guess and I love wood so it will happen eventually I'm sure. (last time I did any woodturning was in High School LOL) I'm nearly 50 so it was some time ago LOL
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by darwindingo » 15 Sep 2016, 11:00 pm

Supaduke wrote:Nice spoon.....you must be an Essendon supporter :thumbsup:

Looks good though, is that Blackwood ?

Thanks mate.

Believe it or not it’s just some pine. It's my first attempt at a spoon so I cheeped out ( It came out pretty good so I kinda regret the choice…. I did hit it with some stain, to make it look a little more to my liking. :oops:

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (398.29 KiB) Viewed 4820 times

image(1).jpeg
image(1).jpeg (260.3 KiB) Viewed 4820 times

Note.. Edit due to me not being willing to pay Photobucket, (the ransom) for the previously free third party hosting.. :roll: . Best of luck to them with the new approach to the buisiness.... :lol:

Jeff
Last edited by darwindingo on 30 Jul 2017, 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by darwindingo » 15 Sep 2016, 11:20 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Very nice mate, I recently got given the FIL ol Lathe and associated tools, haven't set it up yet as I have SFA idea how to use it, just another thing to learn about I guess and I love wood so it will happen eventually I'm sure. (last time I did any woodturning was in High School LOL) I'm nearly 50 so it was some time ago LOL

Cheers mate,

That's awesome, trust me you will love it.... Wood is King......

Please share your attempts. Btw.. there is no such thing as failure, It's just lessons in disguise... ;)

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by darwindingo » 15 Sep 2016, 11:53 pm

Here is another one I made for the wife for baking, next to the (s**ty shop bought one) she was not satisfied with..

PHONE PICS ZTE 147.jpg
PHONE PICS ZTE 147.jpg (289.02 KiB) Viewed 4820 times

It doesn't look like it, but the spoon bit is convex and concave, as it should be etc...

Note.. Edit due to repairing thread after Photobucket, holding my 3rd party hosting to ransom.. :thumbsdown:

Jeff
Last edited by darwindingo on 30 Jul 2017, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Sep 2016, 6:13 am

That's a rippa too Jeff, when I get around to it mate I will happily share a few pics, I think everything is there with the lathe (I guess I will find out eventually) - What I might do is head up to the local mens shed when I'm ready and have a word to them, I'm sure there's someone up there that's into wood turning etc that could show me how to go about putting this thing together and use it correctly, I've got a heap of hand tools for it too which I have SFA idea on what they do so will definitely need some info on them too.

Anyway when I finally get around to using it I will let you know.

Just started learning how to weld which I love doing too, it's another great skill to have - I gotta say I love mig welders, much easier to use than the stick.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 16 Sep 2016, 9:57 am

Pay for freight and I'll send you some maple to play with.

Some off cuts in the foreground...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 5135 times
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 16 Sep 2016, 10:53 pm

Bigfellascott

Yeah the men's shed would be a good place to start, another would be a wood club. You may have one near you ? I would be confident that you would find some keen wood turners there that would be willing to help get you started. If you keep your tools nice and sharp (If your shavings are pigtails its a good indicator) and your tool rest nice and close to the work piece (rotate by hand to make sure it clears it) you will be on the right track to safely start playing. look up riding the bevel and watch a few tutorials. Feel free to post some pics of the lathe and tools if you get a chance :).. I'm looking forward to when you get started :D :thumbsup:

Mig welders are great, Is it a gas or gasless one ? I'm rather interested in the Multiplaz, look's like they are very versatile units.

Gwion,

That is very generous of you mate and I'm really interested and would love to play with some beautiful Maple.. I would only need to freight to either Wangaratta Vic or Wodonga Vic, as I can get it the rest of the way free of freight charges :D So thanks a Million mate :drinks: I'll be in touch mate :thumbsup:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 16 Sep 2016, 11:48 pm

Wow,you guys are awesome at this! Does anyone want to make a but stock and pistol grip for my Vektor? I can give you the template and money :D I actually asked a few locals around town but they got scared when I mentioned it was for a gun :/
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 17 Sep 2016, 6:10 pm

darwindingo wrote:Gwion,

That is very generous of you mate and I'm really interested and would love to play with some beautiful Maple.. I would only need to freight to either Wangaratta Vic or Wodonga Vic, as I can get it the rest of the way free of freight charges :D So thanks a Million mate :drinks: I'll be in touch mate :thumbsup:

Jeff

Might be heading to Wang soon.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 17 Sep 2016, 9:50 pm

Me too, as I have friends and family there and go there frequently, oh and I enjoy stalking deer in the black range... :D

I'll PM U, would be pretty cool if our visits coincided... We could have a few beers or go for a hunt ? and then have a beer.. or your preferred beveridge, MY Shout !! :thumbsup: :drinks:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by darwindingo » 17 Sep 2016, 10:46 pm

Mr.Seacucumber wrote:Wow,you guys are awesome at this! Does anyone want to make a but stock and pistol grip for my Vektor? I can give you the template and money :D I actually asked a few locals around town but they got scared when I mentioned it was for a gun :/

I would be interested to see your template/plans. I am not making any commitment, but If it presents as a task that I feel sufficiently confident that I could achieve ?

I'm not an expert and I have not done something like that before, but I'm curious ? There are probably guys around here that have that could better serve your needs ?...

I would however be interested to have a look at your templates and see if it looks like something that I may be able to achieve for you ?

I want to help as its for a gun :thumbsup: , I'm just not 100% sure if I can do it ?.. If I feel I can, In the spirit of what Gwion has offered me, my part would be free of charge...

Is there a specific wood you have in mind ? Gwion has some nice wood he was telling me about that once stabilised would be perfect in my mind for the project, no matter who ends up doing it..... :thumbsup:

Btw... any pics of the Vektor ? :D

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by darwindingo » 17 Sep 2016, 11:22 pm

Made some corn cob holders, as I didn't have any and was sick of burning my fingers or eating cold corn :lol:

Nothing special but should be useful none the less... They are supposed to be lil bullets :lol:

IMG_20160916_231313.jpg
IMG_20160916_231313.jpg (294.5 KiB) Viewed 4818 times

Hey Bigfellascott,

Here is a little project for you when you get setup and start turning mate, just for fun.. :) Captive Rings on a little baby rattle.. ( one piece of wood no joins ).. :D

IMG_20160806_193823.jpg
IMG_20160806_193823.jpg (240.46 KiB) Viewed 4818 times

I frequent the north east of Vic, not sure where U are but if it is anywhere nearby where I go I'd be more than happy to help get you started on the wood turning journey.!! I'm only a PM away mate !

Jeff

Edit.. Thread repair continued :roll: ,,, THX Photobucketofcrap...... :thumbsdown:
Last edited by darwindingo on 31 Jul 2017, 11:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by darwindingo » 22 Sep 2016, 11:30 pm

Turned this today..

IMG_20160922_185639.jpg
IMG_20160922_185639.jpg (363.24 KiB) Viewed 4807 times

Its translucent so the light can be used to help determine the thickness..

IMG_20160922_190233.jpg
IMG_20160922_190233.jpg (333.92 KiB) Viewed 4807 times

Just cut the captive ring on the stem..

IMG_20160922_203313.jpg
IMG_20160922_203313.jpg (348.73 KiB) Viewed 4807 times

And Done..

IMG_20160922_210935.jpg
IMG_20160922_210935.jpg (388.84 KiB) Viewed 4807 times

Sorry for the big pics :oops:

Edit to reinstate lost pics.. :roll:
Last edited by darwindingo on 31 Jul 2017, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 23 Sep 2016, 4:12 am

Pretty fancy!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Mongrel » 23 Sep 2016, 5:25 am

Very fancy.
Would love a lathe if I had the room
Norinco 22lr
Howa 1500 308
Just the beginning :)
Mongrel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 26 Sep 2016, 5:17 pm

Today's effort,

IMG_20160926_154157rs.JPG
IMG_20160926_154157rs.JPG (34.83 KiB) Viewed 4802 times

Made from an old red gum house stump and some polished spent brass for the stem.. :lol:

Jeff

Edit.. to reinstate pic.. :roll:
Last edited by darwindingo on 02 Aug 2017, 12:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 26 Sep 2016, 5:55 pm

:thumbsup:

Lookin good!

How long have you been turning for, Dingo?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 26 Sep 2016, 6:37 pm

Thanks G

I've been around it all my life thanks to my uncle, a true master of the art.. Clearly you pick up a few things from exposure to someone like that.

My uncle's hands are buggered and he can't do it anymore :( , so he gave me one of his lathes 3 months ago, I'm just trying to do him proud.. He has donated heaps of his carved rocking horses and various turning's, clocks etc... to children's charity's.. :thumbsup: A legacy that I aspire to continue... :thumbsup:

All in all I've probably only had about a year in total with my hands actually on the tools, prior to that.. So I'm still learning really..

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Kater » 29 Sep 2016, 3:29 pm

darwindingo wrote:My uncle's hands are buggered and he can't do it anymore :(

That's the worst when you get taken out of something you love because of a reason like that :(
Savage Model 25 Lightweight Varminter 204 Ruger
Leupold VX-2 6-18x40mm

Savage Model 11/111 BTH 30-06 Springfield
Bushnell Elite 3-9 40mm
Kater
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 29 Sep 2016, 9:07 pm

Kater wrote:
darwindingo wrote:My uncle's hands are buggered and he can't do it anymore :(

That's the worst when you get taken out of something you love because of a reason like that :(

Yep, in his usual selfless way he is more concerned about the terminally sick kids and associated charities that he and his wife anonymously helped for many years ( I'd estimate they have put in something in the 6 figure range,just in materials costs ) so they will feel it... :cry:

Hopefully I can assist them in a similar way.. Big shoes to fill though !

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by darwindingo » 02 Oct 2016, 12:31 am

Some more turning...

IMG_20160923_192554.jpg
IMG_20160923_192554.jpg (347.34 KiB) Viewed 4543 times

IMG_20161001_232037.jpg
IMG_20161001_232037.jpg (379.03 KiB) Viewed 4543 times

125.jpg
125.jpg (374.55 KiB) Viewed 4543 times

Jeff

Edit.. to restore pics :roll:
Last edited by darwindingo on 31 Jul 2017, 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Oct 2016, 4:32 am

Very nice indeed mate, would you by chance be able to take some pics of the lathe etc, would be interested to see what you are using and how it is set up, this one of mine is in a heap of pieces and I have no real idea of what goes where at the moment (haven't even tried to suss it out as yet) but seeing one set up may just help me piece together how they are supposed to look roughly when they are assembled..

Cheers
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 02 Oct 2016, 8:56 am

I like it.
The 'Eki-thump' would make a great 'priest' (deliver the last rites to fish).
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Oct 2016, 2:24 pm

Hey there DD,
Pretty good lookin timber in the cup/goblet,,,,,, what sort of timber is it ?

And in the other pic I notice you use the good stuff for lathe lubricant/coolant :lol: :lol: VB coolant, :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 02 Oct 2016, 9:44 pm

Bigfella,

Mine is nothing fancy mate, I had a choice of the pack and chose the lesser one... I didn't want to take away from his 2 sons Inheritance.... And I'm trying to get them into turning.... :thumbsup:

In saying that, its still very capable of producing quality turning's, particularly due to the reinforcement that he added to it.... ( As he would say, don't blame the tools )....!

Here is a pic.. I could probably help you more with a pic of what you have mate ! :thumbsup:

NEW PICS 001.jpg
NEW PICS 001.jpg (477.47 KiB) Viewed 4543 times

Could also help with the tools you have if you depict them too.. (either here or by pm, if you prefer)..

Gwion,

Your right on the money mate !.... Precisely what it was designed for..... :thumbsup:

What do you think of this one for delivering the last rites to fish, buddy ?

NEW PICS 006.jpg
NEW PICS 006.jpg (526.2 KiB) Viewed 4543 times

NEW PICS 003.jpg
NEW PICS 003.jpg (574.19 KiB) Viewed 4543 times

I put a bit more effort into making it and may end up fitted with a wrist / hanging strap...!

Die Judicii

I'm told that the wood is mountain ash ?

And btw... the coolant is for me :lol: , It is one of the "Very Best". or VB for short :lol: .. :D

Gentlemen !

Jeff

Edit.. to reinstate pics :roll:
Last edited by darwindingo on 31 Jul 2017, 10:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Oct 2016, 10:22 pm

Thanks for that Jeff, I will get some pics of all the bits and pieces, hopefully you can tell me what goes where and what the hell it's for :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Oct 2016, 8:48 pm

Thanks DD,
I think Mountain Ash is what the axemen use for comps, or at least used to.
From memory the timber looked different, but that is most likely because what the axemen use is green, as opposed to seasoned like you have.

Cheers, :drinks: VB
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 03 Oct 2016, 8:59 pm

Yep... Liking the priests.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation