Anyone into Wood Turning And / or Carving etc.. ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Anyone into Wood Turning And / or Carving etc.. ?

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Nov 2016, 8:13 pm

Love it, well done mate and I love big pics, way better than tiny little pissy ones any day. I've been cutting a few bits of wood from my wood heap for some scales for knives when I get around to making some.

I couldn't tell you what it is other than a lump of wood I cut off a tree a few weeks back, hopefully I can make some handles out of it.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by darwindingo » 16 Nov 2016, 8:25 pm

Gee mate that looks real nice, will look great on the knives.. Or on your lathe for that matter ! :thumbsup:

So where is this wood heap you speak of :D and do you shoot at Dingo's roaming around it ? :lol:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Nov 2016, 9:12 pm

darwindingo wrote:Gee mate that looks real nice, will look great on the knives.. Or on your lathe for that matter ! :thumbsup:

So where is this wood heap you speak of :D and do you shoot at Dingo's roaming around it ? :lol:

Yeah I figured it might be work a closer look when I saw it cut up so kept it aside and ran it through the table saw and a quick sand with the mouse sander and bit of oil afterwards and there you have it. Worth hanging onto until I get around to knocking a few knives up one day.

The wood heaps just my good ol pile of firewood I cut up and no dingo's hanging around that I hope (something seriously wrong if they are!) :D :drinks:

P.S. I still haven't gotten around to setting that lathe up yet, one day when I pull the finger out I guess. :silent:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by darwindingo » 16 Nov 2016, 9:55 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
darwindingo wrote:Gee mate that looks real nice, will look great on the knives.. Or on your lathe for that matter ! :thumbsup:

Yeah I figured it might be work a closer look when I saw it cut up so kept it aside and ran it through the table saw and a quick sand with the mouse sander and bit of oil afterwards and there you have it. Worth hanging onto until I get around to knocking a few knives up one day.

The wood heaps just my good ol pile of firewood I cut up and no dingo's hanging around that I hope (something seriously wrong if they are!) :D :drinks:

P.S. I still haven't gotten around to setting that lathe up yet, one day when I pull the finger out I guess. :silent:

Well this Dingo is lurking around VIC and will be for some time, so if I stumble upon ya wood heap :D :lol:

Btw. If your in NE Vic and would like any help with or setting up the lathe or need any help sniffing out treasures from the wood heap, I'm only a PM away mate ;)

Jeff

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Nov 2016, 10:42 pm

darwindingo wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Well this Dingo is lurking around VIC and will be for some time, so if I stumble upon ya wood heap :D :lol:

Btw. If your in NE Vic and would like any help with or setting up the lathe or need any help sniffing out treasures from the wood heap, I'm only a PM away mate ;)

Jeff

Thanks for the kind offer Jeff, I'm in Central Tablelands of NSW :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by darwindingo » 18 Nov 2016, 12:21 am

No thanks required for my offer mate ! I'm always willing to help anyone if I can.. If I'm coming up your way, I will drop you a PM, I really want to get you turning mate (you will love it).. :thumbsup:

BTW.. I've sold a set of 4 wooden stemmed wine glasses like the red gum set I posted for 200 gold coins :crazy: ( that may inspire you at all to get ya but in gear and or ya finger out ) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Nov 2016, 5:52 am

darwindingo wrote:No thanks required for my offer mate ! I'm always willing to help anyone if I can.. If I'm coming up your way, I will drop you a PM, I really want to get you turning mate (you will love it).. :thumbsup:

BTW.. I've sold a set of 4 wooden stemmed wine glasses like the red gum set I posted for 200 gold coins :crazy: ( that may inspire you at all to get ya but in gear and or ya finger out ) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jeff

200 gold coins - bloody well done indeed. just send me a PM when you are coming up this way. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by darwindingo » 30 Jul 2017, 8:55 pm

Well for anyone that is interested in this stuff, here is a few pics of what I have been making of late..

This is a spoon I carved and turned for the Missus, Its 43 cm long.. Now she can make my dinner :lol:

Spoon 1.jpg
Spoon 1.jpg (77.4 KiB) Viewed 2927 times

Spoon 002.jpg
Spoon 002.jpg (38.94 KiB) Viewed 2927 times

Spoon 2.jpg
Spoon 2.jpg (60.35 KiB) Viewed 2927 times

Spoon.jpg
Spoon.jpg (64.26 KiB) Viewed 2927 times

Here is another one.. It's about 55 cm long for the really big pots that the end user has... :shock:

H Spoon 4.jpg
H Spoon 4.jpg (71.71 KiB) Viewed 2927 times

H Spoon 3.jpg
H Spoon 3.jpg (71.02 KiB) Viewed 2927 times

The black bands are formed in the grooves by way of friction while spinning at 2150 rpm..
H Spoon 2.jpg
H Spoon 2.jpg (70.37 KiB) Viewed 2927 times

Sorry for the crappy low MP pics.. :oops:

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2017, 9:09 pm

Fantastic
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 30 Jul 2017, 9:26 pm

Looking good. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 02 Aug 2017, 11:27 pm

Thanks OB and G,

Here is a pic of the latest one, its been carved and is in the process of turning on the lathe..

IMG_20170802_135220.jpg
IMG_20170802_135220.jpg (473.36 KiB) Viewed 2902 times

I post this stuff, in the I hope that it may inspire someone else to give it a go .. :)

Jeff

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation