I thought I would start a thread on near misses

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: I thought I would start a thread on near misses

Post by pomemax » 11 Oct 2016, 8:33 am

That is a near miss i had my hand in a blower that moves plastic around fixing it when some decide oh it not plugged in just as i was taking my hand out could have lost a hand only shorted the pointer they sort of fixed that a but middle to short.I had a bloke simmilar to Oldbloke chasing me round the western suburbs of Sydney with hand grenades wanting to blow me up because he thought I was messing with his Mrs ( i was ) I must say the police had to find them all and returned them all apart from the 2 he threw at me that was a fun week.
Attachments
20161011_011515 (Mobile).jpg
20161011_011515 (Mobile).jpg (47.12 KiB) Viewed 5848 times
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Jd256 » 11 Oct 2016, 1:50 pm

I was nearly decapitated by a piece of microwave zooming by my head at the local machine gun shoot. Some fool put a 1lb charge of tannerite in the oven that was waaaay to close to the firing line. it should have been 100 yrds away and it was more like 100 ft. Even the people at the mobile snack truck at the road were ducking for cover,
Jd256
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Elek » 11 Oct 2016, 2:17 pm

What a dick head.
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by deadkitty » 11 Oct 2016, 2:49 pm

My brother found some old. slightly green, 22lr ammo and decided to try it out one day. He loaded up his lovely old Brno and pulled the trigger....nothing happened... waited ...then he pulled the rifle back through the car window he was using as a rest and it went off!..... luckily it missed him. but only just, it grazed the side of his neck leaving a nice red line....I never went shooting with him again.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by gazza » 11 Oct 2016, 4:43 pm

Wow, you or your brother should have known better than that.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 11 Oct 2016, 5:02 pm

gazza wrote:Wow, you or your brother should have known better than that.

Obviously, you have zero idea who you are talking to !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deadkitty » 11 Oct 2016, 5:14 pm

gazza wrote:Wow, you or your brother should have known better than that.

I tried to warn him...but... :unknown: .... stingy bugger...... who went on to be a bank manager.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by gazza » 11 Oct 2016, 5:17 pm

Did it do any damage to the car?
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by deadkitty » 11 Oct 2016, 5:36 pm

gazza wrote:Did it do any damage to the car?

He's still alive...... so no :lol:
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Jul 2018, 10:11 am

[quote="Heckler303"]Some of the other replies to this thread. Geeez. Almost chainsawing my toe seems like a pretty minimal loss.

What , not serious! bulls**t, you've ruined a great looking pair of KKKmart Uggs! :P

Can you claim that loss on Insurance? :lol:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 11 Jul 2018, 12:06 pm

So a "near miss"...thats a saying ive never understood why the term has stuck to the meaning...i mean it must be "a hit" mustn't it...?
If you "nearly hit" something, you've inadvertantly missed it..sure you may have got close, but still you missed....so therefor a "nearly miss" must equate to meaning a hit..??!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Jul 2018, 1:34 pm

I've wondered that too. I think it is an odd shorthand way of saying it was a miss but it was close (or near)
Member-Deleted

Post by doc » 11 Jul 2018, 2:25 pm

This thread was a near miss... thought it was gone, and then someone went and revived it from the past. ;)

The phrase near miss is confusing, but I can understand the concept.

It was a near pass. - The action was a 'pass' and it was close (near).

So near miss would indicate the action was a 'miss' but within close proximity.

Near is a completely different word to nearly even though they are similarly spelt. Nearly implies something almost occurred but didn't. Near implies proximity.

Even so -I still think the phrase sucks. Actually - I just think the whole English language sucks. It's design is shocking and confusing.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Daddybang » 11 Jul 2018, 2:27 pm

Had a couple of close calls!
I had a maniac place a loaded firearm against my head when I was twelve. He then shot someone else and then killed himself. That was a fun day. :wtf:
Also ran a quad into a tree chasing a pig.
No helmet on went over the bars and ended up just grazing my ear in the trunk. Smashed four ribs and had to crawl four kms home.
:thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 11 Jul 2018, 5:23 pm

Gees Daddybang...
Id call the first one "good timing"...
But the second one...well doesnt sound like miss to me...& bet it didnt sound or feel like a miss to you either...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Wombat » 11 Jul 2018, 6:21 pm

doc wrote:This thread was a near miss... thought it was gone, and then someone went and revived it from the past. ;)

The phrase near miss is confusing, but I can understand the concept.

It was a near pass. - The action was a 'pass' and it was close (near).

So near miss would indicate the action was a 'miss' but within close proximity.

Near is a completely different word to nearly even though they are similarly spelt. Nearly implies something almost occurred but didn't. Near implies proximity.

Even so -I still think the phrase sucks. Actually - I just think the whole English language sucks. It's design is shocking and confusing.

I always assumed it was an old artillery saying- what the spotter would say if the ranging was ok but it was a miss.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wombat » 11 Jul 2018, 6:28 pm

Found this in Wikipedia (for what that is worth).

The term "near miss" originated in artillery or later in aerial bombing, for a shell or bomb that did not strike the target, i.e. the projectile missed, not hit, but was close enough to do damage through blast or splinters. "Near hit" is sloppy English using "near" to mean "nearly a".24.108.28.165 (talk) 00:43, 24 August 2014 (UTC)
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 11 Jul 2018, 8:03 pm

bentaz wrote:
gazza wrote:My missus nearly saw how much I spent at the gun shop.

Get her a horse, you'll never have to worry about it again

I'm currently supporting my daughters horse habit. To say its eaten into my discretionary spending on guns and ammo is a gross understatement.........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Ats3 » 11 Jul 2018, 10:43 pm

doc wrote:Even so -I still think the phrase sucks. Actually - I just think the whole English language sucks. It's design is shocking and confusing.

I agree English can be difficult. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though
Ats3
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Jul 2018, 9:41 am

Can a solid hit be a near miss?

Hume Highway, 11.30pm, 1100m from the road that leads to the road I live on, me @120kph, oncoming semi driver sound asleep crosses through the median scrub and jackknifes 30m in front of my car blocking both lanes.
I stand on the brakes, but because of a grabbing rear left brake I had not got around to adjusting, instead of going straight under the trailer with the obvious results that would produce, the car spun to the left and hit the prime mover in a side to side collision.
Instead of getting mashed off at the waist, I simply went out through the closed drivers window and headbutted the mover. At about 90kph.
I subsequently met a 23yo while I was in the brain injury unit, he had fallen 2m from a tree in his yard and was a ventilated quadriplegic from a small brain bleed.
I broke my neck at C3 and C4 and my back at T7, T8 and T9 and knocked hell out of my right frontal lobe and I'm still here.
Sounds like a near miss sort of thing to me.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 12 Jul 2018, 9:54 am

Bent Arrow wrote:
bentaz wrote:
gazza wrote:My missus nearly saw how much I spent at the gun shop.

Get her a horse, you'll never have to worry about it again

I'm currently supporting my daughters horse habit. To say its eaten into my discretionary spending on guns and ammo is a gross understatement.........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

Stix wrote:Gees Daddybang...
Id call the first one "good timing"...
But the second one...well doesnt sound like miss to me...& bet it didnt sound or feel like a miss to you either...!!

Yeah mate the first was lucky that he found who he really wanted.
The second was a close call because if I'd hit the tree a little more square on I'd have probably died or at least be very f@#ked up! :lol: :drinks:
Add to this a life around horses cattle and bull catchers and there's been a few interesting moments :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by p3seven » 12 Jul 2018, 11:14 pm

In new guinea back in my youth. Faced a riot of about 50 workers. Took out the guy making the most noise, slowed them, took out the next guy making noise. They then dispersed.
Wet road at night 4WD slipped off the road came to a stop in the Lantana. All well until l couldnt open the doors. Vehicle was neatly wedged between two trees. Hitting either would have killed me.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation