I thought I would start a thread on near misses

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: I thought I would start a thread on near misses

Post by Ats3 » 11 Jul 2018, 10:43 pm

doc wrote:Even so -I still think the phrase sucks. Actually - I just think the whole English language sucks. It's design is shocking and confusing.

I agree English can be difficult. It can be understood through tough thorough thought though
Ats3
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Jul 2018, 9:41 am

Can a solid hit be a near miss?

Hume Highway, 11.30pm, 1100m from the road that leads to the road I live on, me @120kph, oncoming semi driver sound asleep crosses through the median scrub and jackknifes 30m in front of my car blocking both lanes.
I stand on the brakes, but because of a grabbing rear left brake I had not got around to adjusting, instead of going straight under the trailer with the obvious results that would produce, the car spun to the left and hit the prime mover in a side to side collision.
Instead of getting mashed off at the waist, I simply went out through the closed drivers window and headbutted the mover. At about 90kph.
I subsequently met a 23yo while I was in the brain injury unit, he had fallen 2m from a tree in his yard and was a ventilated quadriplegic from a small brain bleed.
I broke my neck at C3 and C4 and my back at T7, T8 and T9 and knocked hell out of my right frontal lobe and I'm still here.
Sounds like a near miss sort of thing to me.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 12 Jul 2018, 9:54 am

Bent Arrow wrote:
bentaz wrote:
gazza wrote:My missus nearly saw how much I spent at the gun shop.

Get her a horse, you'll never have to worry about it again

I'm currently supporting my daughters horse habit. To say its eaten into my discretionary spending on guns and ammo is a gross understatement.........

:lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks:

Stix wrote:Gees Daddybang...
Id call the first one "good timing"...
But the second one...well doesnt sound like miss to me...& bet it didnt sound or feel like a miss to you either...!!

Yeah mate the first was lucky that he found who he really wanted.
The second was a close call because if I'd hit the tree a little more square on I'd have probably died or at least be very f@#ked up! :lol: :drinks:
Add to this a life around horses cattle and bull catchers and there's been a few interesting moments :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by p3seven » 12 Jul 2018, 11:14 pm

In new guinea back in my youth. Faced a riot of about 50 workers. Took out the guy making the most noise, slowed them, took out the next guy making noise. They then dispersed.
Wet road at night 4WD slipped off the road came to a stop in the Lantana. All well until l couldnt open the doors. Vehicle was neatly wedged between two trees. Hitting either would have killed me.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation