I thought I would start a thread on near misses

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: I thought I would start a thread on near misses

Post by Mick280 » 05 Oct 2016, 8:49 pm

Supaduke wrote:Ha, yes, my missus nearly saw the inside of my gun safe. That could've been fatal ;)

A fate worse than death I'm thinking!!!!
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 05 Oct 2016, 9:12 pm

:oops: I sort of meant with firearms but its all good.I think I may have too many but heres one.I lived in yarloop for about 10 years and did a lot of duck shooting,The young guy at the farm was real keen so I showed him how to use my CBC shotgun and ran him through loading and unloading military style anyhow we had a good time and got quite a few going from dam to dam.He wanted a ride to harvey and there was one more dam on the way off the farm on a gravel road.We passed by in my ute and it was bare so I said unload before we hit the bitumen road that goes to Harvey.I should of stopped but we are cruising down the road and I looked over to see what he was doing just in time to see him pull the trigger.The release on a CBC is on the trigger guard and if the hammer is cocked it wont open.Boooom.I looked back at the road and some one I knew was parked up with the tractor on the other side.Bit embarrassing :oops: :oops:
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 05 Oct 2016, 9:58 pm

I don't think a public forum should be used as a gun accident confession box... Not now and not in Australia.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 05 Oct 2016, 10:08 pm

Sorry JS, that's a good point mate.. I was only really trying to express my concerns and experiences with evidence that was in the custody of the crown after the police had passed it on... It is a real concern that the legal system and associated agency's allow such things to be in unqualified / Unlicensed hands, after-all they go into the jury room unsupervised like that.. Against my many objections....!! Its a recipie for disaster IMO and LFO's would likley be the ones that pay the price when it all goes wrong.. :thumbsdown:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by duncan61 » 05 Oct 2016, 10:14 pm

fair call
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by happyhunter » 05 Oct 2016, 10:20 pm

juststarting wrote:I don't think a public forum should be used as a gun accident confession box... Not now and not in Australia.

I see your point although having to self sensor shows just how screwed things have become. Spewing as I got one about an accidental shooting that happened 34 years ago that's a ripper.. lol
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by juststarting » 05 Oct 2016, 10:23 pm

darwindingo, that was aimed at duncan61... Re: your post, I actually think that was quite reserved, compared to how I would have reacted.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 05 Oct 2016, 10:25 pm

happyhunter wrote:
juststarting wrote:I don't think a public forum should be used as a gun accident confession box... Not now and not in Australia.

I see your point although having to self sensor shows just how screwed things have become. Spewing as I got one about an accidental shooting that happened 34 years ago that's a ripper.. lol

Just a suggestion. Up to you guys what you do... But yes, I feel filthy after that statement.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 05 Oct 2016, 10:33 pm

I was wondering how politically correct it is but a good yarn about something that happened years ago should not cause to much concern.I did specify non fatal as that aint funny
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 05 Oct 2016, 10:35 pm

I am on a fishing site and started a thread on what my brother has done in the past and it started a lot of stories about things that go wrong
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by darwindingo » 05 Oct 2016, 10:37 pm

juststarting wrote:darwindingo, that was aimed at duncan61... Re: your post, I actually think that was quite reserved, compared to how I would have reacted.

Alcohol induced misunderstanding on my part mate :oops: .. But what you raised was a very valid point IMO :thumbsup: I do find it really concerning that the rules of possession that us LFO's are subjected to go out the window under the circumstances I mentioned !! :crazy: :wtf: I actually quit that job over the issue....

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by juststarting » 05 Oct 2016, 10:55 pm

Near miss... Sort off funny one. Going home late from work on a train. Sitting on the last sit, back against the rear wall of the carriage. Handful of people around... A guy gets up and starts walking towards me. I am thinking it's a little odd, since this is almost an empty carriage and there are no stations coming up. He starts walking faster as he approaches. Now, it so happens that I do combat sport and I do sparring where people go all out, so I tend to react more so than panic. Any way, he is staring right at me, gets faster and closer - to the point where I am about to jump out of the sit and take him down, this was one of very few times in decades that I was genuinely concerned for my safety. As he gets really close I sort of push of the wall to jump at him, at this stage I have this entire game plan rolling through my head, my arms are up, sort of in defensive boxing stance to visualise it... The mother ****** stops sharply within striking distance, pauses, sticks his thick head out like a f***ing turtle and starts squinting. I am bobbed down back on the chair thinking, WTF are you doing dude... Some dude across from me gave me this - this could have ended badly look and sort of nods as if to say look behind you. I turn around... That blind idiot is trying to read the transit map right behind my head... I sort of shuffled across one sit to let him get closer... Awwwwwwwwkward for everyone. Accept the blind dude, he just turned around and walked back just as fast.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Oct 2016, 11:43 am

I haven't got any pics to prove but ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Doh Doh,,,,,,,,,, I'm thinking you didn't mean that kind of "near miss"

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Norton » 07 Oct 2016, 3:02 pm

Noisydad wrote:Lady Noisy survived a BLEVE in her near new but 2nd hand camper van 4 weeks ago. No one EVER survives those according to the fire investigator.

Read about it in the other topic, bloody lucky :crazy:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 07 Oct 2016, 9:45 pm

Heckler303 wrote:Was chainsawing a bunch of ancient bluegums for firewood. I forgot to put on suitable footwear, but I ignored it as usually the blades don't come anywhere near my person anyway. Well, I had my foot placed upon the log I was cutting, and had gotten about 4, 5 decent blocks.

Chainsaw suddenly slipped, and with it, I heard the cutting of fabric and that itchy, inflamed feel.

(Yes, ugg ugg.))

I stopped the chainsaw, and pulled back for a moment, just reaching down to pull off the now ruined 20$ KKKmart pair. There was: A. Torn sock. B. Blood. C. Itchy toe. :shock:

After cleaning it up, I found my toe was still there, and the teeth only just grazed me.

(Taken a day later, healed a bit since it happened, but still a bit squishy)

That was almost Charles Darwin's natural selection at work :lol:

Lesson learned: Uggboots and chainsaws don't mix.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by kodiak74 » 10 Oct 2016, 2:10 pm

Many moons ago, in the height of summer was doing a range day with the M60 (yep that far back), which inevitably lead to a grass fire on the mound behind the target butt. Cease fire was called, and immediately the guys behind the targets ran up the hill to try and put the fire out. Unfortunately we had a run-away gun at the time - the only way to stop it firing was to rip the belt off, which one of the NCO's did - but not before the lines of tracer and the guys behind the targets got awfully close .....
kodiak74
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 10 Oct 2016, 7:14 pm

Have been shot in the head.

( maybe explain a lot ? )
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Oct 2016, 10:08 pm

MR. WINCHESTER wrote:Have been shot in the head.

( maybe explain a lot ? )

Souldnt laugh but........ ::lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 11 Oct 2016, 8:33 am

That is a near miss i had my hand in a blower that moves plastic around fixing it when some decide oh it not plugged in just as i was taking my hand out could have lost a hand only shorted the pointer they sort of fixed that a but middle to short.I had a bloke simmilar to Oldbloke chasing me round the western suburbs of Sydney with hand grenades wanting to blow me up because he thought I was messing with his Mrs ( i was ) I must say the police had to find them all and returned them all apart from the 2 he threw at me that was a fun week.
Attachments
20161011_011515 (Mobile).jpg
20161011_011515 (Mobile).jpg (47.12 KiB) Viewed 5847 times
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Jd256 » 11 Oct 2016, 1:50 pm

I was nearly decapitated by a piece of microwave zooming by my head at the local machine gun shoot. Some fool put a 1lb charge of tannerite in the oven that was waaaay to close to the firing line. it should have been 100 yrds away and it was more like 100 ft. Even the people at the mobile snack truck at the road were ducking for cover,
Jd256
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Elek » 11 Oct 2016, 2:17 pm

What a dick head.
Remington 700 SPS Tactical in .308 Win
Remington 700 XCR Tactical Long Range in .223 Rem
Bushnell Elite Tactical ERS 4.5-30x 50mm
Elek
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by deadkitty » 11 Oct 2016, 2:49 pm

My brother found some old. slightly green, 22lr ammo and decided to try it out one day. He loaded up his lovely old Brno and pulled the trigger....nothing happened... waited ...then he pulled the rifle back through the car window he was using as a rest and it went off!..... luckily it missed him. but only just, it grazed the side of his neck leaving a nice red line....I never went shooting with him again.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
it's the same when you are stupid.
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by gazza » 11 Oct 2016, 4:43 pm

Wow, you or your brother should have known better than that.
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by MR. WINCHESTER » 11 Oct 2016, 5:02 pm

gazza wrote:Wow, you or your brother should have known better than that.

Obviously, you have zero idea who you are talking to !
MR. WINCHESTER
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deadkitty » 11 Oct 2016, 5:14 pm

gazza wrote:Wow, you or your brother should have known better than that.

I tried to warn him...but... :unknown: .... stingy bugger...... who went on to be a bank manager.
When you are dead, you don't know you are dead, it's only difficult for the others,
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by gazza » 11 Oct 2016, 5:17 pm

Did it do any damage to the car?
gazza
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by deadkitty » 11 Oct 2016, 5:36 pm

gazza wrote:Did it do any damage to the car?

He's still alive...... so no :lol:
deadkitty
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Jul 2018, 10:11 am

[quote="Heckler303"]Some of the other replies to this thread. Geeez. Almost chainsawing my toe seems like a pretty minimal loss.

What , not serious! bulls**t, you've ruined a great looking pair of KKKmart Uggs! :P

Can you claim that loss on Insurance? :lol:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 11 Jul 2018, 12:06 pm

So a "near miss"...thats a saying ive never understood why the term has stuck to the meaning...i mean it must be "a hit" mustn't it...?
If you "nearly hit" something, you've inadvertantly missed it..sure you may have got close, but still you missed....so therefor a "nearly miss" must equate to meaning a hit..??!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 11 Jul 2018, 1:34 pm

I've wondered that too. I think it is an odd shorthand way of saying it was a miss but it was close (or near)
Member-Deleted

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation