NFR Review - Some different ideas...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

NFR Review - Some different ideas...

Post by doc » 24 Oct 2016, 10:00 am

All this hype about the adler shotgun. After reading another thread here, I was thinking whether the following alternatives should be put forward for review, and was wondering what people think of this idea? Use the NFR to work for us, instead of potentially against us:

1) The requirement to record names and addresses of people who are purchasing ammunition, primers and powder needs to be reviewed (or revoked).

The greens are so thoughtful they're more worried about firearms being stolen from us, than crims buying on the black market. It fills me with warm fuzzies knowing that they care about us so much.

As such, it seems as though there is a security risk (and from another thread on this forum, seems as though it's already occurred) where having the names and addresses of anyone purchasing firearm products can be acquired by criminals who are searching for firearms.

This should be reviewed. My personal preference would be for it to be scrapped completely, or at the very minimum changed so only the license number is recorded, so that anyone who obtains such a record can not see names or addresses for potential burgs.

2) Firearm Registry to be reviewed.

Again, with the focus from the greens being on theft from licensed firearm owners, could we use this momentum to look at scrapping the registry. As far as I know, Canada introduced it and then scrapped it, and NZ doesn't have one either. Again this poses a security risk, but additionally it takes resources away from more effective policing to be focused on mountains of paperwork.

Reviewing this, and scrapping this would improve security and also free up police resources to more effective use.

3) Police Inspections

It's my understanding that information on firearms storage addresses has also being obtained by police doing onsite inspections at premises - especially with broadcast of such locations over the air. I think that this may have been reviewed at an internal level, and less 'firearm inspection' broadcasts are now occurring. Is it taking more resources away that could be more effectively used elsewhere.

I don't see that reviewing any of the 3 above items would be 'relaxing' gun laws, but rather improve security (as has been observed in other countries). 3 ideas that would save money, and reduce the security risk of firearms being stolen at the same time.

If they're going to have a review, might as well give them as much sensible options to consider and counter the greens proposals.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Re: NFR Review - Some different ideas...

Post by MalleeFarmer » 24 Oct 2016, 12:04 pm

Very Sensible suggestions Doc
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by greenonion » 24 Oct 2016, 3:53 pm

doc wrote:3) Police Inspections

It's my understanding that information on firearms storage addresses has also being obtained by police doing onsite inspections at premises - especially with broadcast of such locations over the air. I think that this may have been reviewed at an internal level, and less 'firearm inspection' broadcasts are now occurring.

Is that still a thing?

I thought that while true in the past, their radios are encrypted digital now or whatever and can't be listened in on any more by folks with CB's?
greenonion
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Wylie27 » 24 Oct 2016, 3:58 pm

Yup they can still be listened into in NSW.

My parents live in a country town and the oldman sits there most nights listening to a police scanner.

They find out all sorts of things about their neighbours lol
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by doc » 24 Oct 2016, 4:28 pm

Victoria rural areas also have non-encrypted comms with the police too.

Even if it's been addressed internally - it can't hurt to be used as an indication of how all these records have been used in the past by criminals and that it's not a good idea if you're wanting to keep locations of firearms confidential to have so many places and means of obtaining this information. Whether it be by someone dirty in the firearms registry, someone stealing or copying shops books, etc.

The more evidence that the registries are bad ideas, the more politicians might use this as an area for 'review' instead of something stupid.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by happyhunter » 24 Oct 2016, 5:21 pm

.. what he said, plus police radios do get stolen so even the urban comms are compromised.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Return to Off topic - General conversation