Gun dilemma

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Gun dilemma

Post by juststarting » 03 Jan 2017, 5:33 pm

I don't particularly like or see anything special in single shot rifles, specifically 22 - would imagine them to be annoying as hell. Buuuuuuut I have learned of 303 trainer and I kinda want one now, because I just want one now. Just thought I'd share this emotional struggle.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Gun dilemma

Post by Wylie27 » 03 Jan 2017, 5:36 pm

Don't think.. just do..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 03 Jan 2017, 5:46 pm

"To each his own" of course but for me, there is something irresistible about a single shot rifle - especially if it's bigger there than .40 cal because anything less is small bore.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 03 Jan 2017, 5:51 pm

Noisydad wrote:"To each his own" of course but for me, there is something irresistible about a single shot rifle - especially if it's bigger there than .40 cal because anything less is small bore.

Over 40 caliber is alright by me, even shotguns. Anything over 22 in fact... I am just not a fan of 22 single shot. Except that 303 trainer, I like that one :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 03 Jan 2017, 5:56 pm

The struggle is real.....

If you want one buy one, would be fun.
Or just buy a proper fwee-oh-fwee
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jan 2017, 6:18 pm

Baikal make a BO single in 4 or 5 calibre's. Cheap to I believe. Thompson Contender makem too.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 03 Jan 2017, 6:42 pm

My first Hornet was a H&R single shot Handi rifle.I bought it new to terminate sick dairy cows and shoot foxes.It was excellent for both jobs.I sighted in up a back paddock and on the way back to the farm a fox took off out of a drain.I pulled up the quad and rested on the seat and hit it in the bum.It was a bit of a fluke as it was running through the ditches and only showing every 3 seconds but I counted down and let one go where I thought it would show next and tapped it.It was stolen by locals in the bush and they carved the stock up so I sold it to a buddy who always wanted it.He got the Marlin goose gun as well as they carved that too and it upset me to see it
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 03 Jan 2017, 6:44 pm

Not all of my single shots are 22s, not all of my 22s are single shots. But I have a soft spot in my heart, and room in the safe, for both.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by duncan61 » 03 Jan 2017, 7:00 pm

The assault course in Tully had targets that popped up as you were going through at pace.They were activated by the training staff pulling on a rope behind you.We had SLR sleeved down to .22 LR how cool to have one of them babies.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 03 Jan 2017, 8:44 pm

bentaz wrote:The only problem with the lee enfield .22 is that the rifles so heavy and the round so puny that you cant even feel it fire, sort of took the fun out of it.
If you want something along those lines get a martini cadet rifle.

Eh, I don't mind, it's just something different. Although, If I was going to get a Martini, I would be going for Martini Henry, but I feel like ammo for that beast would be just a little hard to get.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 04 Jan 2017, 12:00 am

The H&R Handi rifle came in 45/70 as well as Hornet.The greener shotgun had the same action as the martini henry.suprisingly easy to cycle.I got two ducks once as I was in the swamp under a tree and got the first coming straight at me and the second as it banked away
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by straightshooter » 04 Jan 2017, 6:53 am

Noisydad wrote:"To each his own" of course but for me, there is something irresistible about a single shot rifle - especially if it's bigger there than .40 cal because anything less is small bore.

In the days when the military caliber was .577 then lesser calibers such as .45 caliber was considered smallbore.
Similarly when the military caliber was 303 or 30 then .22 was considered smallbore.
Now that the official military caliber is .224 where does that put things.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 04 Jan 2017, 7:02 am

Last edited by happyhunter on 02 Mar 2017, 6:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Mick280 » 04 Jan 2017, 7:42 am

Get a Hi-Wall mate!!
Nothing like lobbing 400 plus gn's down range,Puts a smile on your face every shot!!!
Mick.
Not enough Lever Gunsll
Mick280
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 15 Feb 2017, 12:23 pm

I'd do it in a big calibre or something special.

Single shot .22 though, nah.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 15 Feb 2017, 1:11 pm

Now me, me, I like single shots. I have 9 of them, 7 of those are rifles 2 rimfires, in 22LR and 17HMR, 1 in 22Hornet, and 4 chambered for 45/70. Two are Thompson Center Contender handguns.

Nice thing about the single shot is the light weight, of a few of them anyway, and that they make me think more about the shot than just shooting.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Feb 2017, 3:32 pm

G'day juststarting,
What model TR you looking at? There are a few different models (18 at last count).
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GLS_1956 » 15 Feb 2017, 11:49 pm

GLS_1956 wrote:Now me, me, I like single shots. I have 9 of them, 7 of those are rifles 2 rimfires, in 22LR and 17HMR, 1 in 22Hornet, and 4 chambered for 45/70. Two are Thompson Center Contender handguns.

Nice thing about the single shot is the light weight, of a few of them anyway, and that they make me think more about the shot than just shooting.

After I got to work, I got thinking about this posting. I forgot about two other single shots in the collection. One an old 22LR and the other a 22-250. So make that 11 single shots.
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Return to Off topic - General conversation