Clubs, memberships, requirements, confused, HELP

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Clubs, memberships, requirements, confused, HELP

Post by Patty93 » 04 Jan 2017, 10:12 am

Hi all,

I am getting slightly confused over all the requirements for all these different memberships to all these different clubs and as such have subscribed to what I believe could be too many clubs and would like to trim the fat, but I am not sure by what and where.

So for background, I currently hold a A and B firearms license with genuine reasons: Hunting and Pest/Varmint Control.
I also hold a probationary category H license for Target/Sport Shooting.
I also hold an R licence in NSW and a Game licence in Victoria.

Currently I am apart of Shire Hunters, an approved Hunting Organisation, which I joined in order to get my R licence. I only am required to pay my fees with these guys and am not required to attend meetings at this point.
I am apart of Holsworthy Pistol Club, which is required for my H licence, along with currently gaining IPSC membership.

The question I mainly have is, where does SSAA come into this? I am being told I should join, but what does it give me? Does it allow me to drop any of my current clubs in order to minimise who I belong to and bring down my total membership fees of the year? Is it just a political group?

Is there something I am missing? Should I be apart of other clubs?

With holding multiple different licences, and memberships I feel as though I could be spending on better things like ammunition, so I just wanna check I have got it all correct.
Patty93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Clubs, memberships, requirements, confused, HELP

Post by Supaduke » 04 Jan 2017, 12:07 pm

SSAA is an approved hunting club, it also gives cheaper entry to SSAA ranges. You also get a pretty good magazine once a month. You will still need to remain a member of your pistol club for H license.

I go to the range probably six times a year so the membership pays for itself in reduced entry fees.

For me , it's simply convenient to be a member.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 04 Jan 2017, 12:31 pm

SSAA membership also provides you with liability and accident insurance whilst hunting. An extra $25 on top of the membership fee will insure your firearms........
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jan 2017, 12:54 pm

Patty93 wrote:The question I mainly have is, where does SSAA come into this? ... Is it just a political group?

SSAA a political group - hilarious :-)

I'm not certain about NSW but, other than for handguns, I don't think you are required to be in any clubs or groups to have a firearms licence.
But to support those who try to maintain our rights to own and use firearms I join all the groups I can.

The only useful purpose for the magazines is to leave them in doctor's offices in the hope of educating members of the public.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by dpskipper » 04 Jan 2017, 4:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:
The only useful purpose for the magazines is to leave them in doctor's offices in the hope of educating members of the public.

I did the same thing with an auto magazine about EVs. Didn't work... :(
Wedgetail WT15
Riverman OAF
Desert Tech SRS
Adler 7 shot
dpskipper
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Patty93 » 04 Jan 2017, 5:19 pm

So if I join up to SSAA to use as an approved hunting organization. Do I need to turn up for range shoots annually or am I just able to be apart of them like my current club and use their forums.

I only ask as I work shifts and can never make meetings generally.
Patty93
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 04 Jan 2017, 5:44 pm

happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Return to Off topic - General conversation