The introduce yourself thread (combined)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: The introduce yourself thread (combined)

Post by geoff » 12 Nov 2019, 2:23 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:
Welcome a Geoff. It is good to see another West Australian on the site. Especially a fellow .243 owner. They are a very versatile cartridge in W.A.

Thanks Bruiser, i'm a big fan of the 243 as a do all. Particularly down here on the north antarctic peninsula where there's nothing it can't put down....

I see on some other threads that we share some mutual shooting interests and geography. If you ever need some company on a shoot, feel free to sing out! I'm always out by myself. At least nobody steals my chips
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by skwerl101 » 20 Nov 2019, 12:27 pm

hy from Canada

Purchased a Lithgow 101 last season ( my favorite card cutting gun ) then when I came
across this forum I had to explore & join . Watching in the news seems as Aus. , NZ and Can.
have like challenges with firearm control advocates .

enjoying the dialogue so far ........... skwerl
skwerl101
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by Windycity2953 » 23 Nov 2019, 9:46 am

Hello friends. from Chicago Illinois usa.I am a firearm enthusiast and Hunter and thought I would introduce myself.regardless of where we are in the world,we have a common interest.if I were to meet any of you,I'm sure we would have a good talk on firearms and hunting.I look at your forum from time to time,and there are some very knowledgeable gun enthusiasts here and I enjoy reading your posts.maybe some day,I will be fortunate enough to visit your country.good health and good luck.
Windycity2953
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Richchris » 24 Nov 2019, 8:14 am

Hi all,

I have just come back to shooting after having had a break due to family commitments and life getting in the way. I am in Queensland and have taken up .22 rifle comp shooting at a local club. Shot my new Ruger Precision with a Nikon 6-18 scope yesterday. After firing my first 3 round group I could not wipe the smile off my face. Such a great piece of kit. I have also invested in a Steyr Pro-hunter in .243 and plan on my first deer hunt next year. I have not fitted a scope to the .243 yet. Just doing some research. Buy once, buy right. I look forward to using this forum as a great point of reference.
Richchris
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by DownAndGive Me20 » 25 Nov 2019, 12:43 pm

Hello,
Lots of good information here so I've joined up.
Motivated by the rising pests problem I've jumped through the hoops again to satisfy the bureaucracy and bought a couple of Lithgows. Happy with the rifle/scope set-ups and pretty quick zeroing down at Little River so now I'm onto the GMA App. Restricted with no 4X4 but I'm keen to walk the bush again anyway!
Cheers
If you consider yourself a Master, change your name to Bates.
DownAndGive Me20
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by trevort » 01 Dec 2019, 5:43 pm

hello eveyone

I just tried joining up and found my username and email were already registered. So seems like I did it a while ago and never posted,

So by way of introduction I've been shooting and loading for years and been on a few forums for years aswell so no doubt will know some of you.

I shoot long range benchrest infrequently badly but its let me meet great people who have a wealth of knowledge and its helped me in the field and at the reloading bench.
I love wildcats and customising things. I cant buy a rifle and leave it standard/

Another forum member invited m to cull deer on private property 4 years ago and we are now firm friends and through youtube and some other friends I've learned to dress butcher and cook venison and have found it a bit of a passion.

Thats about it
trevort
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by DRD » 17 Dec 2019, 12:34 am

Hello all, great looking forum and looking forward to contributing.
DRD
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by cbrhunter » 17 Dec 2019, 2:10 pm

Hi, new to the sport and forum. In Canberra, looking for some like minded people to hunt with.Into deep sea fishing also, but not from Canberra so I dont know many people here.

Cheers
Stew.
cbrhunter
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by mchughcb » 04 Jan 2020, 12:38 pm

Well an introduction is in order.
I live in Victoria. Been hunting for a while, one way or another. Visit this forum a few times a year.
If I post pictures do I need to make sure dead animals have their faces covered so they can't be recognised?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Jayman6 » 05 Jan 2020, 5:24 pm

Gday All
New to shooting after having been hassled for some time by a mate to get into it. Currently awaiting my a/b licence application to be processed. Looking forward to learning heaps here. Cheers!
Jayman6
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by moum1n » 19 Jan 2020, 5:01 am

Hey guys I'm new around here. I'm currently living in Western Victoria and Im moving on from the shooting range. I've been researching areas to go hunting around my neck of the woods. Just wanted to ask around if anyone has the "More to Explore" app on their phone. Have you guys tried it out, is it a reliable source to find decent places to go hunting?
moum1n
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bender21 » 31 Jan 2020, 8:52 pm

Hey guys,

Brand new to shooting and currently waiting to do my licensing course, Really enjoying having a read through all the info on here and researching what I would like to get for my first gun. Recently moved to North Central Vic so if anybody can recommend any good clubs within a couple of hours for a beginner that would be fantastic!

Cheers
bender21
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by duddley75 » 06 Feb 2020, 11:58 am

Hi all,

From Sydney and new to shooting. I am a member of a full bore target rifle club and looking to get into hunting this year.

Submitted my license application last week so already started the waiting process for NSW FAR.
duddley75
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 06 Feb 2020, 9:49 pm

G'day to all you guys...
duddley75, bender21, moum1n, Jayman6, cbrhunter, DRD, trevort, and of course DownAndGive Me20...no i mean the new member...not push-ups...!!... :roll:
:lol:

And of course mchughcb...where are the faceless pics of the hunted... :unknown:

Someof you have probably come & gone already judging by the dates you joined & post count...but ah well...get involved...and avoid The Donald... :lol:

Just kidding...

:)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Finnis » 12 Feb 2020, 2:15 pm

Hello All,

Homesick Aussie living in the states, been here 3 years, will be back in 8. Hunted around NSW with a little bit of Vic thrown in, at various ranges regularly, fishing as well. Joined more for looking around an having a read then getting stuck in. Drunk posting is out for one, I'd be doing that an it's like lunchtime over there, not gonna work, oh well. Gun interests haven't really changed that much since leaving, like the older sporting stuff, 60's an 70's, shooter grade, not collecter. Anyway, will be checking in to read hunt reports, etc.

Cheers
Finnis
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 15 Feb 2020, 4:55 pm

Hey lads. I did some shooting with my dad in Croatia, now I have just applied for my QLD AB licence.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 15 Feb 2020, 8:02 pm

Welcome mate. You get a chance to hunt over there at all?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Danzel19 » 16 Feb 2020, 2:03 pm

Gday all,

New member here just having a look around.
Danzel19
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 16 Feb 2020, 6:26 pm

JimTom wrote:Welcome mate. You get a chance to hunt over there at all?

Thanks mate.
Just a few ducks but I would not call that hunting. We would just go in the mountains/forrest and have a bit of fun shooting at trees/targets. Every house over there seems to have an AK of some varient. Still a lot of munitions and abandoned German gear left from WW2 which I think is really cool. Not to mention all the gear from the 90s war. Plenty of fun to be had if you are a firearm enthusiast.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by rbaron25 » 19 Feb 2020, 8:22 pm

Hi Everyone,
Up Brissy way, Qld. Had my licence for about 10 years. Shot with mates a lot and a bit of roo shooting out west. Now got my own 223 for foxes and cats and looking at an airgun for ratting and pests. Already done a lot reading.
Catch ya around.
rbaron25
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 20 Feb 2020, 9:06 pm

Welcome mate. Look forward to hearing about your exploits in the future mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by CRF » 26 Feb 2020, 7:44 am

G'day,

Keen hunter my whole life. Bit of varmint and birding but really love deer. Reds and hog deer are my main ones I chase, keeps me busy when the missus lets me go.

Hunt with rifle, bow and muzzleloader, enjoy the challenge of all of them.

Cheers
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Adelaide newbie intro

Post by SAnewby » 14 Mar 2020, 10:56 am

Hey all, complete newbie here.
Just saying hello and a thank you for the info I've already seen on the forum.

Picked up a bit of jargon along the way. :D

I'm keen to get started in non competitive long range shooting.
Haven't fired a big rifle (slug guns only)
but have 5k+ handgun rounds down range.
SAnewby
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by SAnewby » 15 Mar 2020, 10:30 am

Daniel from SA, complete newby to the rifle thing.
Have only just done my license and waiting for approval so should be able to gather info on first gun purchase and such between now and whenever.

Mainly interested in punching paper and hitting gongs, will probably do a little bit of hunting rabbits/foxes/roos.

Planning to start with a .22 or .223 probably both if I'm honest, build some skills and then work up to a 308/6.5cm.
My ego says start big but common sense is saying crawl before you walk.

Love this forum, heaps of good info and reasonably unbiased discussions

Cheers
SAnewby
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by trekin » 15 Mar 2020, 10:36 am

SAnewby wrote:Daniel from SA, complete newby to the rifle thing.
Have only just done my license and waiting for approval so should be able to gather info on first gun purchase and such between now and whenever.

Mainly interested in punching paper and hitting gongs, will probably do a little bit of hunting rabbits/foxes/roos.

Planning to start with a .22 or .223 probably both if I'm honest, build some skills and then work up to a 308/6.5cm.
My ego says start big but common sense is saying crawl before you walk.

Love this forum, heaps of good info and reasonably unbiased discussions

Cheers

Welcome, bloke, and yeah you had better work up to that six and a half centremeter canon.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 15 Mar 2020, 11:05 am

:drinks: G’day Dan from SA. Welcome to the forum mate. You will get some good info from here, particularly considering you are just at starting out. Let us know how you go and what rifle you end up with.
Cheers mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by SAnewby » 15 Mar 2020, 4:50 pm

JimTom wrote::drinks: Let us know what rifle you end up with.
Cheers mate.

Cheers mate.
Looking at something like the ruger precision/tikka t3x tac. A factory built rifle will shoot much better than me for a long time haha.
SAnewby
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by DaveZ » 24 Mar 2020, 5:45 pm

Dave here from SE Qld, Bundy area, figured I should jump in here and say hello seeing as I'm getting heaps of useful info from searching various threads. Pretty new to shooting really, have an old single shot BSA 22 that's probably well past it's used by date, but have a new CZ 455 varmint barreled 22lr topped with a 4-12x44 Vortex scope on its way, just waiting for the PTA to make its way through the pipeline. Main interest at this point is probably target shooting in the back yard, a few rabbits and maybe try to harass the local foxes.

Cheers,
Dave.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by RUGGA » 25 Mar 2020, 7:21 pm

Hey all, 5 weeks of interstate hunting supposed to start yesterday, now 5weeks of crossing fingers and social distancing. So thought I'd stop lurking and start posting.

26 years of hunting, Vic and NT mostly and a bit of WA, SA, NSW. Got into it for conservation reasons, Fumbling through the 13yr old me goal of shooting one of every feral species in the country. Got 4 to go I think. Was hoping for a Chital next month damn it......

Anyway hopefully I'll have something useful to add, cheers
RUGGA
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Quirinus » 27 Mar 2020, 9:30 am

Now that I have my Form 33, I feel I can safely join in. ;). Just starting out, want to get into IPSC.
Quirinus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation