The introduce yourself thread (combined)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: New member intro

Post by southeast varmiter » 28 Oct 2015, 9:27 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:ARA? RAA? cloud punching? sound like some new technology, is it dangerous?? :lol:

Is cloud punching anything to do with Howitzers or mortars?

Spot on, Artillery
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 28 Oct 2015, 11:47 pm

We call them "Thumpers." Or simply "Help!!!" :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Oct 2015, 12:52 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:
Title_II wrote:Welcome!

What does SE mean? South East?

I used to think SA meant everybody was from South Africa but I am pretty sure it means South Australia now :)

Your right SE as in South East Vic :)

Or, Sth East of Sth Aust but you should be specific to avoid confusion.
Years ago when I resided in Sth Aust, my eldest daughter lived on campus in Adelaide.
I sent her a letter, and finished the address with "SA"

The letter was eventually delivered to her but it took 5 months.
It had gone via South Africa.
Once bitten twice shy,, I always write the full address rather than abbreviations that can be mis-construed, as in Titles case.

By the way,, Welcome Justin :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 29 Oct 2015, 12:58 pm

Seriously???

The problem with common sense is it's not very common.but to send a letter addressed SA to South Africa...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Oct 2015, 1:00 pm

southeast varmiter wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:So another refugee to Sambarland....
What kind of shooting did you do back then??

:welcome:

Ex ARA 8-) so got to play with more toys then.
Mostly handgun shooting and on farms doing pest control (non-professional)
In SA you can't hunt on public land or forests - unfortunate

I believe that's probably because when it comes to hunting in South Australia,,,,, "SA" really means Slow As,, and closely linked to Western Australia (WA) otherwise commonly known as the "Wait Awhile" state. :lol: :lol: :sarcasm:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by sandgroperbill » 29 Oct 2015, 1:05 pm

Funny you should mention that. A parcel sent from Melbourne two weeks ago just arrived this morning...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Oct 2015, 9:01 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Seriously???

The problem with common sense is it's not very common.but to send a letter addressed SA to South Africa...

That's AUSSIE POST for you I guess.

The crunch probably came when the South African postal service discovered that the actual address on the envelope didn't exist in Sth. Africa. so it was returned to Australia for redelivery. :unknown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Harper » 30 Oct 2015, 8:54 am

Die Judicii wrote:That's AUSSIE POST for you I guess.

No surprise the business is in the toilet.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Oct 2015, 10:07 pm

Harper wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:That's AUSSIE POST for you I guess.

No surprise the business is in the toilet.

Apparently the CEO of Australia Post has a bigger salary by far than the Australian Prime Minister.
:allegedly:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by tony m » 31 Oct 2015, 12:27 pm

Just joined today, from Canada, eastern British Columbia Rockies.Thought I would find out what you folks do in hunting and shooting game.I am a mountain hunter prefering bighorn sheep, mountain goat and elk locally.Thanks for allowing me to join, the .270 win is always my go to rifle, 40 +years.Tell me about yourselves.
tony m
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by tom604 » 01 Nov 2015, 11:24 am

howdy tony,, just read your other posts and just want to say,,,,GRIZZLY!!!! elk ,moose, = big deer but big deer don't want to kill you :lol: :lol:

anyway better say :welcome: and i am looking forward to reading a few hunting story's from you :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by tony m » 01 Nov 2015, 2:16 pm

tom604 wrote:howdy tony,, just read your other posts and just want to say,,,,GRIZZLY!!!! elk ,moose, = big deer but big deer don't want to kill you :lol: :lol:

anyway better say :welcome: and i am looking forward to reading a few hunting story's from you :thumbsup:
thanks for the howdy, thought I might learn about your way of doing these things.Lots to learn from you folks. It is hunting season here now..so I will try to give you updates.Tell me what and how you hunt? It is past bedtime here, it is raining quite hard and might interfere with my plans to go Rocky Mtn Goat hunting in the morning..they live on our mountain tops and need good visability.Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers
tony m
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Nov 2015, 2:33 pm

You are welcome Tony, sounds like we can learn a lot from you, you modest sombeech :lol: :lol:

We have a huge variety of species we can hunt here, from rabbits (good eatin) all the way through countless feral and game species up to Camel (also good eatin) I think thats about the biggest...

We dont have any bitey scratchy game species, like you do...

As far as I go, before I leave this mortal coil, I plan to take 2 white bears.... so save me a couple would you :lol:

Start a thread with your own exploits over there...
:thumbsup: :welcome:
Last edited by <<Genesis93>> on 01 Nov 2015, 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 01 Nov 2015, 7:56 pm

tony m wrote:
tom604 wrote:howdy tony,, just read your other posts and just want to say,,,,GRIZZLY!!!! elk ,moose, = big deer but big deer don't want to kill you :lol: :lol:

thanks for the howdy, thought I might learn about your way of doing these things.Lots to learn from you folks. It is hunting season here now..so I will try to give you updates.Tell me what and how you hunt? It is past bedtime here, it is raining quite hard and might interfere with my plans to go Rocky Mtn Goat hunting in the morning..they live on our mountain tops and need good visability.Look forward to hearing from you. Cheers

They seem to hunt house cats, wallaby, and camel. I'm not kidding. A wallaby is sorta like a Muppet.

;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Nov 2015, 8:20 pm

Those house cats are one of the worst pests around here.... they destroy many native species. Only thing worse than a pet cat gone wild.... is the owner who let it go.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Title_II » 01 Nov 2015, 9:40 pm

Did you ever shoot a house cat riding a camel? :D

Just kidding ;)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by tony m » 02 Nov 2015, 1:59 am

Still pouring rain this morning here.These goats are safe until it clears.Have any of you Aussies hunted your wild /feral cattle? The sound a little nasty to me.I have .experience around longhorn/mexican bulls.The longhorn wild ones and some of the fighting types will hunt you.The can run, jump and think and will stick you if they can.
tony m
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by AlanK » 02 Nov 2015, 9:38 am

tony m wrote:Have any of you Aussies hunted your wild /feral cattle? The sound a little nasty to me.

Not personally, they do it in the Northern Territory here though I know.

No doubt they would be nasty if you didn't drop one quick, the bulls have some serious horns to put to use on you.
AlanK
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 02 Nov 2015, 10:30 am

I ran into a nasty bull in Central America. He was nasty, and he was sloppy looking. Skin all hanging off of him, unlike the grain-fed fatties, or well-grazed bulls we have in the US.

He was eyeballing me. And huffing, and puffing, and blow my house down. He was doing the hoof scrape on the ground thing with one front leg, getting ready to charge.

I carried a machinegun. We weren't allowed to chamber them (or feed tray them I guess) unless we had indications of action. I'm carrying about 80 pounds of crap. I throw open my top cover and try to get my belt ready, while screaming at my buddy to shoot the bull with his M16 which is ready to rock.

A 5' 2" squad sergeant from another squad that we scraped up as a translator starts running at the bull and screaming at him in Spanish while waving his arms. The bull runs off. Then I see the farmer. First time I saw him on this land. He was smartly hanging back, waiting to see how this nonsense would turn out, hoping we didn't kill his bull most likely. Then again, we left money everywhere we went, so who knows, maybe he was hoping we would fire it up and he could eat it and shame us for $100 :D
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Spooner » 04 Nov 2015, 8:32 am

Title_II wrote:A 5' 2" squad sergeant from another squad that we scraped up as a translator starts running at the bull and screaming at him in Spanish while waving his arms.

Well that's one way to do it :lol:
Spooner
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Northern Territory

New Arrival - Shooter, collector and ex-hunter

Post by No1Mk3 » 01 Jan 2016, 3:50 pm

G'day,

Couldn't see a "Welcome mat" anywhere else so decided to drop in here and say hello. Ageing (disgracefully) shooter, collector and ex-hunter, also keen on Scotch single malt, old motorcycles, steam engines and rotary cylinder engines.

Enjoy reloading and re-creating obsolete ammo as well. Have a Mrs who is a keen shooter (never lend them your rifle during comps!!) so range day is also family day out. Posts seem to take long time to load, is this only for new members?

Otherwise convo's here may take weeks! See you in the soup, No1Mk3.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: New Arrival

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jan 2016, 8:28 pm

Gday, welcome. Looks like us old farts are taking over. :D
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jonny » 01 Jan 2016, 9:27 pm

Happy new year to all. I'm new to this site and I have a question so if anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.In the last couple of months I've gone for a drive to cobaw state forest lancfield, to do some 4×4 driving. On both trips I spotted some game. Can anyone please tell me if you are allowed to hunt Ferrell or game in cobaw state forest,kind regards Jonny.
Jonny
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by anthillinside » 01 Jan 2016, 10:04 pm

The welcome mats allways out, you;ll fit in well around here.
From another oldie with a No1*1
Also in the soup...
We'll have a pea together :welcome:
There's always room for at least one more gun in my safe.
There's always room for one more safe in my house.
anthillinside
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 01 Jan 2016, 11:35 pm

Welcome guys!
Yeah, I think when you're new the moderators have to approve your posts before they load, though I may he wrong, so it shoukd onky be a temporary thing
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bark » 05 Jan 2016, 9:03 am

G'day new blokes :drinks:
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Varmtr » 05 Jan 2016, 3:03 pm

Welcome aboard No1 Mk3
Varmtr
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Jan 2016, 7:08 pm

Yeah,, WELCOME

Enough Gun,, but maybe not Enough Old Farts :drinks:

:welcome:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Norton » 06 Jan 2016, 9:46 am

Die Judicii wrote:Enough Gun,, but maybe not Enough Old Farts :drinks:

Seems to be growing nicely :lol:

Welcome guys.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

G'day from a soon-to-be shooter!

Post by Festus Magnus » 07 Jan 2016, 2:54 am

G'day all,

Just wanted to introduce myself and send out my appreciation to all the members on this forum: I've been spending a few days reading all the threads scattered here and there and they've been immensely helpful in allowing me to get my bearings.

Of course, I'm getting way ahead of myself as my booking for Try Shooting isn't even until this Saturday! But it's an activity I've been interested in getting into since I was a young lad (25 now), but having no friends who practise shooting and living in Sydney's suburbia have always been a major inconvenience in finding that right opportunity.

Fortunately, the stars miraculously aligned and I signed up my dad and I into both the pistol and rifle programs at SISC in Cecil Park: quite possibly, I think my dad is more excited than I am! :lol:

Again, while I'm probably getting ahead of myself (having never even fired a rifle or pistol), I like doing a bit of due diligence to ensure I'm not completely clueless: no place seems better than this for me to draw upon the pool of collective wisdom.

Doubtless you'd have guessed my first question: which rifle for a beginner? I'll be submitting paperwork for a pistol licence as well, but since the probation period is 6 months, I'll defer that question until later.

For rifles, I've settled on a few criteria and limitations for what I'll be doing. I'll be applying for a sport/target licence, and while my casual reading seems to indicate that benchrest is a declining discipline (perhaps hearsay?), I think I'd like to invest my time in this particular discipline. Unfortunately a motorcycle incident several years back did my ankle in and I don't think I'd be very useful in any of the other disciplines (particularly 3P). It seems that SISC has a resident benchrest club listed. Nonetheless, I'm keeping both my mind and options open for other disciplines.

I'd love the opportunity to attempt hunting at some stage, but with my very limited experience and skillset I'm afraid I'll do a disservice to the discipline and other hunters if I were to try and jump into the deep-end of the pool. I think it's best to leave it for a few years down the line until I have a suitable appreciation for the sport and my abilities are more appropriate.

Rimfire seems to be a universal choice for a beginner, and so I'll most definitely opt for a 0.22LR rifle (I certainly don't want to approach any higher calibres without the requisite experience). From my perusal through numerous forums, I've noticed that the competition-seekers often opt for a rifle that is specifically tailored to competition-based target shooting, such as a Anschutz 1903. Would it be seen as completely inappropriate if I were to bring along a cheap and cheerful CZ 455? Particularly, from what I've seen - although I may very well be wrong, I'd love any pointers - there's a fairly large price gap between target rifles, which tend to be quite expensive, and hunting rifles, which are much more within my student budget.

I'm not an especially competitive bloke: I'd be more than willing to be the fodder at the bottom of the ranks. :D But the last thing I'd want to do is to be seen as a fool (or worse, disrespectful to others) by bringing a rifle that is completely inappropriate to the discipline at hand.

Thanks again for all the helpful advice already on this forum!
Dave
Festus Magnus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation