The introduce yourself thread (combined)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: The introduce yourself thread (combined)

Post by darwindingo » 01 Apr 2017, 9:00 pm

Tom Foolery wrote:
darwindingo wrote:
Gotta love the good old cross member donk :lol: I had an LJ coupe for a bit, a mate is doing up a LJ GTR coupe its getting a worked 327 so that will be fun.. :D

I agree with OB, good choice on the guns :thumbsup:

:drinks:

That LJ with the 327 does sound pretty awesome. Just the thing for a state with no speed limit. Be a shame if some do gooder changed it to 130 hey? I'm guessing you're in the NT Dingo?

Calibres weren't really my choice. I was looking at small centre fires and my shooting buddy said "no, just get a 223, cheaper ammo and we can't have .17 and 223 rattling around in the console together while we're spotlighting" so 223 it was. Then I was looking for something a bit bigger and he was like "270, 308, 7-08, all kill about the same, so just wait till you find a good one on Ozgunsales that's local". That's how I ended up with the 270. It kills stuff dead so I suppose he was right.

The open speed zones have shrunk enough already :thumbsdown: My mate with the LJ is near Newcastle so no open speed limits for him. I was in the NT for many years, but recently relocated to Vic so the Sambar are back on the menu without thousands of kilometer trips :D A mate has a .270 he has taken a hell of a lot of Sambar with, he is very happy with it.

“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Tom Foolery » 06 Apr 2017, 7:54 pm

darwindingo wrote: I was in the NT for many years, but recently relocated to Vic so the Sambar are back on the menu without thousands of kilometer trips

True that, but a long drive to shoot a buffalo. :cry:

Yet to have a go at the Sambar myself. One day.
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Growler » 07 Apr 2017, 5:44 pm

G'day, short time member 1st time poster. Getting back into it after an absence playing with bows. Interests are 4wding and the only 4wd that should ever be considered is a Patrol. Partial to camping and traveling. My newest firearm was manufactured between 1962 and 1980 and the oldest I think is late 1920's, and one in the 40's
Just the necessity
Growler
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by burek » 07 Apr 2017, 7:27 pm

Hi

I decided to stop lurking since it's getting tempting to participate :) Brand new shooter on the Sunshine Coast. Well, still waiting on the damn licence. Week 9 currently... sigh. They did call me in for ID check only days after the application. Trolling me I guess...

Already have deposit down on a Tikka Stainless Lite in 223rem so that thing will be getting picked up on the same day that the licence and the PTA arrive. It's been 6 weeks on the PTA too but I imagine they will send both at same time.

Was mainly going to be me at it by myself until my brother in law, with whom I had not much in common, found out and couldn't contain his excitement. Apparently he was going to let his Vic licence expire since he moved up to QLD. Now he's transferring his licence and all of a sudden we are mates. Guns bringing people together :)
burek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 07 Apr 2017, 9:36 pm

Grats, burek. Welcome and may your wait be short and uneventful.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Apr 2017, 11:09 pm

juststarting wrote:Grats, burek. Welcome and may your wait be short and uneventful.

:welcome:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 15 Apr 2017, 9:50 pm

Hi All,

Just a short one to introduce myself.

I've been shooting a few times overseas and always loved it. I've finally decided to go through the process at home of getting a firearms license and my own firearm.

I joined SSAA, live in Sydney and will be shooting at the Anzac range in Malabar.

I don't know anyone there yet so if you go there call out :)
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by colinbentley » 16 Apr 2017, 11:12 am

I've just come back to target shooting after a 10 year layoff. Sold all my guns, safe, cleaning and reloading equipment and thought I would never shoot again but after moving house a couple of years ago found I was only a 4 minute drive to the range. The temptation was too great so here I am again with all the frustrations and challenges. Bit pricey when you have start from scratch.Problem I have is that I have no sales resistance.......I see a nice gun.....I want to buy it.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Apr 2017, 2:55 pm

colinbentley wrote:Problem I have is that I have no sales resistance.......I see a nice gun.....I want to buy it.

I want to is resistance. I see - I buy, that's a different story. :drinks:
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by mongo » 17 Apr 2017, 10:09 pm

I'm new to shooting, just got my Cat A/B and popped a deposit down on a safe. I shot at a mate's farm about twenty years ago and always really enjoyed it, plinking and a few bunnies mainly.

I've been doing a fair bit of reading to decide on a rifle and now the decision is which of the 12-15 I need should bee purchased first.

Also looking at maybe giving F class a crack once I can shoot straight..
mongo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Dogger » 21 Apr 2017, 10:22 pm

Hi ive been shooting now for 40+ years, i steer away from alot of forums as there's a lot of bs about. This website seems to be composed of people whom are genuinely interested in shooting, and promote being helpfull. Ive owned more firearms than most gun shops. Ive worked in the industry and i love military weapon history. Im looking forward to our chats.
Dogger
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 22 Apr 2017, 8:43 am

:welcome: mongo and dogger :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by d3driver » 29 Apr 2017, 3:39 pm

Afternoon all. I'm getting back into shooting after about 15 years out. Fortunately able to buy my old Sako Finnfire Hunter .22 with 3-9x40 Vari X II back off a mate, he's kept it in perfect condition. Also buying a .223 Weatherby Vanguard S2 with a Boyds thumbhole stock and 3.5-10x50 V3 off another mate. Good prices on both. Looking forward to giving the bunnies and foxes a hard time.
Currently:
Weatherby VG S2 in .223 in Boyds Thumbhole, Leupold VX3 3.5-10x50
Sako Finnfire Hunter .22, Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 (my old .22 bought back)
d3driver
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by MrFishimus » 03 May 2017, 1:57 pm

Hi all, started shooting when I was 14. Had the usual few years off chasing girls etc, got my license again in my twenties and haven't looked back. Currently trying to figure out a bunch of tools/firearms/ammo my Dad left me when he died. He was a part time gunsmith/stock maker some 20-30 years ago. Anyway, looking forward to expanding my knowledge base and getting to know you all.
MrFishimus
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Roundhogg » 04 May 2017, 11:15 am

Hey guys,

Just getting back into hunting/shooting after about a 15 year break. Looking forward to picking people's brains to get me back in the game.
Roundhogg
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Smokingbrass » 05 May 2017, 11:14 pm

G'day All, been lurking around for a few weeks looking at the forum, lots of great info and friendly banter which is good to see. Me I've been 12 years off the trigger, (Pistol). I used to shoot Sig P226, Berretta M96 Brigadier, H&K USP plus a few revolvers. Packed it all in and sold it all off as I didn't have the time etc.
A mate whose been a rifle shooter for years finally got me back into it when I visited his property. So now I've applied for my A/B license for target and hunting, just waiting for all the red tape and hoops to jump through, in the mean time, a new safe to be ordered and get the bench set back up for reloading etc. looking forward to getting back behind the trigger.
Smokingbrass
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Thom318 » 10 May 2017, 8:55 pm

Hi everyone,

Just looking to intoducr myself,been watching the forum for a while just joined.

Not currently a firearm owner, but in the process of getting it all sorted, so hopefully I can be within the year. I've always appreciated firearms, and been shooting on more than the odd occasion with mates, but finally decided to sort myself out as my parents have a slight problem with foxes, feral cats and bunnies on the farm.

I'm born, raised and live in rural WA, with many interests, shooting, cars in general, music, camping, farming. I'm a parts interpreter at a local John Deere dealership.

Thanks for your time, hopefully I can add something useful to this community, thanks for having me
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Holstered » 20 May 2017, 10:59 am

Hi

I'm relatively new to the target shooting and got involved in early 2014 but have been a recreational hunter for nearly 30yrs.

Fortunately the club I'm involved with does rifle and pistol shooting. I have a go at most things including rifle bench rest 22 & air and pistol shooting where IPSC has been my interest for around a year.
Holstered
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Osty » 24 May 2017, 3:45 pm

Hi all,

I've been lurking this forum for a while and thought I'd put something up here. I grew up in East Africa where I hunted small game with family, which continued when we moved to rural Tasmania. After a few years in WA I'm now back in tassie and shoot casually at the local Hobart rimfire club as well as hunt wallaby on friend's properties ~20 minutes out of town. Have recently got into reloading and am super keen to hunt deer, which is proving to be exceedingly difficult in Tasmania.

Look forward to learning a lot and being part of the conversation.

Cheers,
Osty.
Osty
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 24 May 2017, 4:29 pm

Gday to all the recent members :drinks: :welcome:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Tux » 25 May 2017, 6:30 pm

Gidday All,

Just getting back into shooting after a long break.

Cheers, Tux
Ride Fast, Brake Late, Don't Indicate!
Tux
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Grizzle » 27 May 2017, 9:03 am

Hi all,
Have been watching this forum for over a year and find it extremely helpful, so thought I'd do the right thing and join up.
Ruger Precision Rimfire .22
Henry .22WMR Lever
Ruger American .17HMR
Fabarm Gamma Lux 32" 12g O/U
1945 Lithgow SMLE .303
Tikka T3 204
Browning A-Bolt 30.06
Anschutz Match 54 .22 S/S Target
Grizzle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 27 May 2017, 6:19 pm

Grizzle wrote:Hi all,
Have been watching this forum for over a year and find it extremely helpful, so thought I'd do the right thing and join up.

Good idea. They give you an on the spot fine if you don't join. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 31 May 2017, 12:37 am

Been at. It now for 50 odd years....rifles, shotguns and reloading, with a huge insane insatiable appetite for Brno rifles, as the name implies.

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 28 Jun 2017, 3:38 pm

Gday all, always been interested in firearms but only just gotten of my rear and applied for my licence at nearly 40YO. Ive sorted out my storage and even dropped a tentative deposit on what will hopefully be my first firearm, a 1956 model 1 Brno.Now just playing the waiting game for licence then PTA.
Very keen fisherman and love my camping and 4 wheeling as well.
Looks like a cool forum and i look forward to joining the sport and getting to know you all, there's every chance i probably know a few on here already.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 9line » 16 Jul 2017, 6:45 pm

Gday from Brisbane north side, gents.

Former carefree country boy now living the big city life and wondering where I went so wrong.

Long time shooter, but first time license holder so I'm really enjoying the best of State bureaucracy and legislative lunacy. Regardless, I'm nearly the proud owner of a lovely Remi .308 so that there is light at the end.
9line
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jul 2017, 8:54 pm

:welcome:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Jul 2017, 10:51 am

Hi from the Sunshine Coast. But I shoot at Belmont when money permits :)
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by 9line » 17 Jul 2017, 2:56 pm

Isn't there a range going up near Burpengarry? Be a bit less of a hike for you
9line
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 17 Jul 2017, 6:35 pm

9line wrote:Isn't there a range going up near Burpengarry? Be a bit less of a hike for you

Thanks for reminding me mate :) www.ssaacaboolture.com Hmmm...something about invited guests. Still can't shoot centrefire riflr. :(
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation