The introduce yourself thread (combined)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: The introduce yourself thread (combined)

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jan 2021, 7:50 pm

Lsfan wrote:Hi all. Just joined recently so I can engage in conversation. I’ve learned a lot reading your posts and am awaiting my PTA’s for a cz rimfire and Stoeger air rifle. I plan to go to Cecil park range initially and see how I go. I like the idea of going to hilltop and eventually getting a 223. Trying to target shoot on a budget! Can I ask, am I likely to need a bag for each rifle or can you get 2 rifles in a gun bag for transport? I thought maybe having a sock on each within the one bag would be ok?

I doubt you'd fit two rifles in a bag, although you might if you strip the stock off the CZ and only bag the barreled action with the air rifle.

You can buy double bags, they have separate compartments on each side to carry two rifles or guns.
Like this - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-2m-Hunting-Shooting-Carry-Case-Shotgun-Rifle-Gun-Slip-Double-Bag/174209975530

You can also get double-sided hard cases, but a single hard-case _might_ let you fit two rifles in it if they're not bulky.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gun-Cases-Hard-Aluminium-Double-Sided-Hunting-Safes-Bags-Rifle-Shot-Carry-Boxes/143547000678
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable-Hard-Aluminium-Double-Hunting-Gun-Cases-Safe-Bag-Rifle-Shot-Carry-Boxes/174533360660
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 02 Jan 2021, 7:59 pm

Thanks mate. Only thing is I bought a package and it comes with a hunt pro premium bag. I might just buy a cheap $30 bag on Ebay since it’s just the air rifle. I haven’t even held them so have no idea about this stuff. Today’s the 28th day for both my PTA’s so I’m hoping status may change tomorrow. I bet I won’t receive in the mail by end of the week but can only hope.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 02 Jan 2021, 8:06 pm

Lsfan wrote:Thanks mate. Only thing is I bought a package and it comes with a hunt pro premium bag. I might just buy a cheap $30 bag on Ebay since it’s just the air rifle. I haven’t even held them so have no idea about this stuff. Today’s the 28th day for both my PTA’s so I’m hoping status may change tomorrow. I bet I won’t receive in the mail by end of the week but can only hope.

I bought a bulk load of twenty bags a few years back when they were on special for $10 apiece, wish I'd bought a whole lot more than I did :-)

Might be worth talking to the clubs as well, some require you to carry your rifle from your vehicle un-covered so it can be clearly seen to be safe.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 02 Jan 2021, 8:14 pm

Wow that says something about the size of your arsenal! Thanks for the tip. I’ll check the club requirements online and maybe phone beforehand just to check.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Member-Deleted » 03 Jan 2021, 8:59 am

Lsfan wrote:Hi all. Just joined recently so I can engage in conversation. I’ve learned a lot reading your posts and am awaiting my PTA’s for a cz rimfire and Stoeger air rifle. I plan to go to Cecil park range initially and see how I go. I like the idea of going to hilltop and eventually getting a 223. Trying to target shoot on a budget! Can I ask, am I likely to need a bag for each rifle or can you get 2 rifles in a gun bag for transport? I thought maybe having a sock on each within the one bag would be ok?

There are some bags and cases that have dividers of some sort which allows room for two rifles. Cases can be big enough to remove the foam to fit two rifles. I personally wouldn't put two rifles in a bag or case designed for one even with socks on. But I'm certain it has been done before many times. If they're new rifles, it would seem wise to prevent excess banging and chafing as much as possible, but comes down to your preference at the end of the day. If you wanted to look for the cases/bags I mentioned, look online for them as I have never seen them in stores.

And :welcome: :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Lsfan » 03 Jan 2021, 12:14 pm

Thanks for that. Yeah I do like to look after my stuff so I think I’ll just get another bag. I’m in Sydney and saw bensons archery in Granville sell rifle gear. There’s a buffalo river 44” for $29 which is the cheapest known brand I’ve seen. I don’t know if it’s ever worth getting a scope for an air rifle but looks like it would fit also. Thanks for the tip.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Over it » 08 Jan 2021, 4:43 am

How ya'll doin gentleman, hello from the deep in the heart of Texas. Not an Aussie, but married to one. The in-laws have come visited us from in the past couple of years, I got one hooked on the shooting sports and Texas BBQ. Been on the site to glean information on Aussie import laws and because I would like to send him some parts, but my preliminary research says I'd be better off partnering with an Aussie local gunshop to export pallets of product at a time if I'm going to have to get some bureaucrat to sign off sending a Tactical Solution Buckmark barrel. Anyone know of any good shops in the Gold Coast?
Over it
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 08 Jan 2021, 1:54 pm

Over it wrote:How ya'll doin gentleman, hello from the deep in the heart of Texas. Not an Aussie, but married to one. The in-laws have come visited us from in the past couple of years, I got one hooked on the shooting sports and Texas BBQ. Been on the site to glean information on Aussie import laws and because I would like to send him some parts, but my preliminary research says I'd be better off partnering with an Aussie local gunshop to export pallets of product at a time if I'm going to have to get some bureaucrat to sign off sending a Tactical Solution Buckmark barrel. Anyone know of any good shops in the Gold Coast?

As long as the barrel complies without our length minimums he should be able to import it himself, if you have an export licence.
Probably cheaper to order it from an Aussie importer though.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Over it » 09 Jan 2021, 3:21 am

bladeracer wrote:
Over it wrote:How ya'll doin gentleman, hello from the deep in the heart of Texas. Not an Aussie, but married to one. The in-laws have come visited us from in the past couple of years, I got one hooked on the shooting sports and Texas BBQ. Been on the site to glean information on Aussie import laws and because I would like to send him some parts, but my preliminary research says I'd be better off partnering with an Aussie local gunshop to export pallets of product at a time if I'm going to have to get some bureaucrat to sign off sending a Tactical Solution Buckmark barrel. Anyone know of any good shops in the Gold Coast?

As long as the barrel complies without our length minimums he should be able to import it himself, if you have an export licence.
Probably cheaper to order it from an Aussie importer though.

For my work I get a fair amount of firearms parts given to me and for family, doing a little research to hook them up is no skin of my back. Thank you for the heads up for the minimum barrel length. I'm composing my post with my fine questions, but am doing my due diligence searching past posts to get the basics answered.

Reading some posts here, ya'll have a good group. The mindset here is a little different, but always feel kinship with other fellow shooters that enjoy the sport.
Over it
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Lsfan » 05 Feb 2021, 5:49 pm

I’m writing in this thread because I don’t know how to start my own! Being fairly new to this sport, I’m already bloody hooked and dream of different rifles everyday. After searching the net for other rifles, it’s clear that there are good deals to be had interstate, eg Qld, but I’m in Sydney. Even considering the freight cost i’d still be in front, but then comes the transfer at a NSW dealer. Does anyone know of a Sydney dealer that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg? $100 seems a bit rich for a bit of paperwork!
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Shootermick » 05 Feb 2021, 9:37 pm

Lsfan wrote:I’m writing in this thread because I don’t know how to start my own! Being fairly new to this sport, I’m already bloody hooked and dream of different rifles everyday. After searching the net for other rifles, it’s clear that there are good deals to be had interstate, eg Qld, but I’m in Sydney. Even considering the freight cost i’d still be in front, but then comes the transfer at a NSW dealer. Does anyone know of a Sydney dealer that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg? $100 seems a bit rich for a bit of paperwork!

My local shop down here inVictoria charge $100 too, I’ve always thought that was a bit steep. They miss out on a sale, but they make sure they don’t miss out altogether.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 05 Feb 2021, 9:43 pm

Shootermick wrote:
Lsfan wrote:I’m writing in this thread because I don’t know how to start my own! Being fairly new to this sport, I’m already bloody hooked and dream of different rifles everyday. After searching the net for other rifles, it’s clear that there are good deals to be had interstate, eg Qld, but I’m in Sydney. Even considering the freight cost i’d still be in front, but then comes the transfer at a NSW dealer. Does anyone know of a Sydney dealer that doesn’t charge an arm and a leg? $100 seems a bit rich for a bit of paperwork!

My local shop down here inVictoria charge $100 too, I’ve always thought that was a bit steep. They miss out on a sale, but they make sure they don’t miss out altogether.

They probably make more money doing the transfer than actually selling a rifle.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 06 Feb 2021, 8:59 am

To start a thread.
Select a category/section

Screenshot_20210206-095024_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20210206-095024_DuckDuckGo.jpg (394.97 KiB) Viewed 20275 times

Hit the new topic button

Screenshot_20210206-095113_DuckDuckGo.jpg
Screenshot_20210206-095113_DuckDuckGo.jpg (342.31 KiB) Viewed 20275 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 06 Feb 2021, 5:31 pm

Thanks oldbloke. (Also for your contribution to the jokes section! My favourite is the pastor flapps one!) My iPhone has been setup using my sons iCloud and it has restrictions. For some stupid reason that is the part of this website I can’t use. I may have to use another device when starting a thread.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lownslow » 20 Mar 2021, 2:42 pm

Hi everyone

Victorian based member here! Been licensed for about a year and have a Lithgow crossover (22lr) in the safe.

I bring it out occasionally for target practice, but so far I’ve established that I’m a pretty terrible shot!

When someday I improve, hoping to try bowling over some rabbits and foxes.

Also hoping to eventually pick bladeracer’s wisdom when I get around to looking for a ww2 era ex-military rifle.

Thanks to all participants here, past and present, and the mods for running this place. Trawling through the threads has been invaluable.
Lownslow
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Matty » 20 Mar 2021, 7:47 pm

Hey.

Just joined forum. Used to go shooting 20 to 30 years ago with my grandfather. His first rifle a .22 open sight single shot, a .22 bolt with scope, and air rifle. Lots of dead rabbits and hit targets with that open .22.

Anyway had a bit of a shoot at a range lately (.223). Had a ball and did surprisingly well after all these years. It's really inspired me to get my license again and delve into some range fun, and possibly hunting (pigs or roo culling on a property). My dad also has a J.W Tolley hammerless side by side 12ga to pass down to me so want to do that legit and legal.

I've been reading forum about good all round calibres, actions etc and thought I'd join so I can engage a bit more.
Matty
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Mar 2021, 12:14 pm

Welcome Lownslow and matty. Enjoy
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 29 Mar 2021, 7:07 pm

Hi all. New member here.

Grew up wanting to shoot and got the chance a fair bit, but as I got older it all just seemed too hard. Ended up getting into bowhunting in my 30s and really enjoyed the technical aspects, tuning and perfecting things, and then with reducing energy levels and motivation I just decided to get firearms licence-at the end of the day I just want animals on the ground. Getting within bow range was a real challenge, but I wasn't struggling overly to get within rifle range. Boy how things have changed now I'm hunting state forests!! Can't even find the bloody things

Joined local club that have been really helpful, and then settled on Howa 308 for my first rifle. Figured that will give me a large range of projectile weights, common caliber so no struggle to find ammunition, and the price was a little less to shoot than the 270 I was very keen on (perpetually broke tightwad I am). Still happy getting larger caliber for first rifle. A mate gave me a Browning/FN Trombone recently, which I'm yet to shoot and still trying to figure out its operation. I also decided I needed a bash around 22 that I didn't care about for dragging through the state forests for rabbits (308 with cheap steel match ammo for them was just a little overkill), so picked up a cheap second hand Norinco the other day. I'll be asking some questions about that in due time. Closest range is about 75min away, so its hard getting out to shoot to keep my eye in.

Anyway, joined the forum here as I was having lots of questions and not many places to ask them (plus the site kept popping up when googling things). Looks like a decent bunch around here with lots of information to share. Hopefully I can add to that myself, but I'm really closer to the start of my journey rather than well on the way
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by RosscoL » 03 Apr 2021, 9:02 am

Hey All,
Just joined and looking forward gathering and sharing info and experiences. From southern tablelands NSW. Hunted with 12g and 22lr through to 7mm and 30cals. Never used a forum before so here goes. RL
RosscoL
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Dandry » 04 Apr 2021, 9:06 pm

G’day, have been lurking for a few weeks but time to say hello. New Australian since 2000, ex UK (via NZ for 10 years) before that. Did quite a bit of shooting as a kid in cadets etc, then again in the Royal Navy-basic training with SLR’s at the range, and then more interestingly GPMG’s and shotguns at a splash target off the back of a carrier for s**ts & giggles (got to love the volunteer boarding parties....)

Much older and wiser now; sydney based but have 1000 acres past Coonabarabran and so keen to get back into it.

Have already got a load of useful info from here, so thanks so far; sharing my times from safety course to first acquisition as my first contribution.
Dandry
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by G-Swiss » 16 Apr 2021, 4:34 pm

G’day all,

Checked through this forum a few times - in the inevitable deep-dives into whatever firearm related thing I’m currently researching!

Thought it was overdue to join in. Sport shooter and occasional hunter from WA, born in Switzerland grew up in Australia. Currently exploring to my heritage when it comes to milsurp firearms.

Cheers, G
G-Swiss
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by CT hillbilly » 30 Apr 2021, 7:57 am

Hi all from charters towers I’m into all things recreational hunting shooting I run a 22lr 17hmr 410, 12g, 7600p in 308 and .177 for the kids
CT hillbilly
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Ben » 10 May 2021, 7:44 pm

Hey guys. New here. I’ve been hunting for a few years off and on. Mostly Ferals under spotlight along with some pigs when the stars align. Been setting up to try longer range steel shooting for years but have never gotten around to it as of yet. Hopefully soon. Anyway.... looks like a pretty good site. Cheers.
Ben
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Phil Lawlor » 19 May 2021, 8:52 am

Just joined as a new member. Ex Army Engineer (21yrs service, don't hold that against me). Always been into fishing, hunting and camping, live in Townsville, QLD. Townsville SSAA member and generally go out to the range fortnightly using my my Ruger Precision 6.5 Creedmoor or my Lithgow LA102 carbon Highlander with MDT ESS chassis. Load all my own rounds and really enjoy this part of the process. Thanks for having me on board. Regards Phil.
Phil Lawlor
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Lovey » 03 Jun 2021, 12:01 pm

G'day all, and thanks for having me aboard.
I used to do a bit of shooting at the range with a 22lr Slazenger single shot when I was a teenager, which was a loooong time ago. I've just had my interest in shooting re-kindled, so I'm taking the steps to re-obtain my licence.
I've been doing some research and this site has come up a lot in my searches, but I'm sure that I'll have a heap more questions.
Take it easy,
Steve
Lovey
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mystyler » 05 Jun 2021, 8:48 pm

G'day all,

Long time reader, first time poster. Hello from the California of Oz, WA...

Had my interest in shooting rekindled after I was asked if I would be interested in trying to bust clays. Well, it certainly did the trick! Never held a licence, but way back when I was young there used to be an air rifle under the bed and the bunnies were scared. Things have certainly, uh, changed. Well, I'm here to learn and this forum seems like a great resource.

Looking to jump through the WAPOL hoops to get an O/U and an LA101. It'd be un-Australian not to pick one of those up, right? Luckily some of my family still has a bit of land, but not nearly as much as we used to. Not really interested in pest control any more, lucky for the rabbits and parrots, but I said I'd help out if needed!

Have yourself a good one.

M.
Mystyler
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Matthew9511 » 06 Jun 2021, 2:28 pm

Hi everyone, I have been a regular reader of this forum for some time. So far I have found a lot of useful information from like minded people. I thought this is a perfect time to set up an account and get more involved with the community.

Cheers,
Matt
Matthew9511
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Downunder » 07 Jun 2021, 7:17 am

G’day, been around a few places, seen a bit, done bit and still picking up on a bit.
I tried social media but it’s nothing more than an ego competition and full of fakes.
The older I get the more I appreciate old school forums as a means to keep in touch.
Appreciate the opportunity to read and contribute.

TK
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by joshgtv » 12 Jun 2021, 5:09 pm

G'day all, first post here. I'm new to recreational shooting and have just got my r-licence for hunting. Ex-Reserve infantry though so safe and sensible. I'd be keen to meet members who would be happy to have a noob tag along on a hunt or two and to share a bit of wisdom and experience. I'm particularly interested in chasing deer to harvest venison but open to pretty much anything. Based on Sydney's northern beaches so I guess the obvious regions would be the southern highlands or central west. Please let me know if anyone would like some company.
joshgtv
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lsfan » 12 Jun 2021, 7:17 pm

Hi Josh, welcome aboard. I do more reading here than posting and I’m fairly new here too. Joined about a year ago. I’ve only used the range at Cecil park and going to hilltop for the first time tomorrow. Keen to try other forms of shooting. Ultimately I’d like to have an acreage to have fun with the kids doing what blokes do, including a bit of target shooting. I’m south western Sydney.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation