The introduce yourself thread (combined)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: The introduce yourself thread (combined)

Post by Wylie27 » 21 Mar 2017, 4:55 pm

Welcome all especially a fellow lefty.. we are a the ones who rule the world.. :lol:
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Mar 2017, 5:28 pm

:welcome: Mulder. There is never a stupid question. Mmmmmm. What was that question last week about....? Just joking.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 21 Mar 2017, 6:08 pm

Welcome, Mulder. Finally someone with the same appreciation of finer things (308).
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Mar 2017, 7:37 pm

juststarting wrote:Welcome, Mulder. Finally someone with the same appreciation of finer things (308).

JS looks like a typo there. You must mean 3006
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 21 Mar 2017, 7:41 pm

Didn't know you could use 30-06 in your musket, OB :)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Mar 2017, 8:04 pm

You can, but this is the result. Looks like a trumpet now!
images.jpg
images.jpg (6 KiB) Viewed 5177 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 21 Mar 2017, 8:32 pm

:clap:
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Mar 2017, 9:05 pm

That's real deal too. Not just some crappy pic of the www. :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tom Foolery » 24 Mar 2017, 9:03 pm

Hi. I'm Tom. I've been lurking for a while, decided to sign up. Middle aged bloke, still fairly new to shooting. I could say it's been forty odd years wasted but I did run over a couple of cats in my Torana back in day.
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 24 Mar 2017, 10:14 pm

Tom Foolery wrote:Hi. I'm Tom. I've been lurking for a while, decided to sign up. Middle aged bloke, still fairly new to shooting. I could say it's been forty odd years wasted but I did run over a couple of cats in my Torana back in day.

That's one way to do it mate, :thumbsup: I have to ask though, what Torana ? LC ? LJ ? , GTR XU1 ? , A9X ?, LH ? SLR 5000 ?, To name a few :) either way what do you intend to take them out with from now on (well when you aren't in the Ranskie :lol: ?) :thumbsup:

BTW.... Welcome to the forum :drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Tom Foolery » 24 Mar 2017, 10:47 pm

Thanks Jeff.

SLR 253. I still remember the donk when its head hit the cross member. Also had an LJ 2 Door which cleaned up a couple on the way to work.

Tikka LSA55 223 for the cats, foxes etc. these days. Howa 270 for the goats, pigs and deer.
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Mar 2017, 6:58 am

:welcome: 223 & 270 are good choices.

Enjoy
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 25 Mar 2017, 6:32 pm

Tom Foolery wrote:Thanks Jeff.

SLR 253. I still remember the donk when its head hit the cross member. Also had an LJ 2 Door which cleaned up a couple on the way to work.

Tikka LSA55 223 for the cats, foxes etc. these days. Howa 270 for the goats, pigs and deer.

Gotta love the good old cross member donk :lol: I had an LJ coupe for a bit, a mate is doing up a LJ GTR coupe its getting a worked 327 so that will be fun.. :D

I agree with OB, good choice on the guns :thumbsup:

:drinks:

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Mulder030 » 26 Mar 2017, 4:07 pm

Gwion wrote:Welcome Mulder. What form of target are you shooting, or just casual range work at this stage?

Thanks Mate, Yeah majority is just casual at the moment but would love to enter some F-class. I live close-ish to the (QLD) Northarm rifle range that stretches out to 700m. So that's my goal at this point, become a competitor there and actually score a half decent total. I'm running an old O'mark, it shoots well I am just hesitate to start, as I don't want to waste everyone at the ranges time If I'm not on the paper at all.

once I get consistent respectable groups at 200 yard. I will venture out further. lol
O'mark Model 44 - .308 - Paper
Howa M1500 ultra light Boyd's stock - .308 - Game
Savage MK II Varmint - .22LR - Practice
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 26 Mar 2017, 8:03 pm

Mulder,
If you want to get on paper, visit the zero range and sight-in, for the appropriate distance. Be sure to zero the wind while you are there. If you are a beginner, one of the members should be willing to help you with the wind allowances when you begin each of your stages.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Mulder030 » 26 Mar 2017, 8:54 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Mulder,
If you want to get on paper, visit the zero range and sight-in, for the appropriate distance. Be sure to zero the wind while you are there. If you are a beginner, one of the members should be willing to help you with the wind allowances when you begin each of your stages.

Thanks Mate, yeah they have a practice weekend prior to the competition for that distance on every second weekend. just doing a bit of self development first, lol. it gets a little intimidating being a new comer, just getting comfortable with my rifle is where I'm at and am wanting to start branching out. So hopefully head up there real soon. :mrgreen:
O'mark Model 44 - .308 - Paper
Howa M1500 ultra light Boyd's stock - .308 - Game
Savage MK II Varmint - .22LR - Practice
Mulder030
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 27 Mar 2017, 1:08 pm

Mulder030 wrote:
Wm.Traynor wrote:Mulder,

Thanks Mate, yeah they have a practice weekend prior to the competition for that distance on every second weekend. just doing a bit of self development first, lol. it gets a little intimidating being a new comer, just getting comfortable with my rifle is where I'm at and am wanting to start branching out. So hopefully head up there real soon. :mrgreen:

Probably not a bad idea. It becomes difficult to concentrate on technique once you add in "competition". AS a beginner it can be easy to get caught up in trying to keep up, so to speak, and miss out on the technical development side of things.

Mind you, as they used to say in my cycling days, "racing is the best training". Don't be shy to get in there and have a go at club shoots and find someone who can help you with basic elevation and windage adjustments. At the same time, don't forget to keep practicing. That Omark should be capable of shooting well if it is well put together. There's a lady at our fullbore club who only started shooting f-class the start of last season (18months ago). She uses an Omark and has already scored 2-3 POSIIBLES!!! (Yes, 60 out of 60!!!) :crazy: :wtf: :problem: :lol: :thumbsup: :unknown:
I'm still struggling to score consistently in the 50s. My best total to date is about 110 or so but more often high 90s to low 100s.

Get in there and have a go but don't let people push you faster than you want to go. I reckon that's what makes people frustrated and give up. People are trying to coerce me into going to all these interclub shoots but to me it is still just a waste of time, money, ammo and barrel life. I'm happy shooting club level until i sort my platform out and start scoring consistently in the 105+ range.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Tom Foolery » 31 Mar 2017, 8:23 pm

darwindingo wrote:
Gotta love the good old cross member donk :lol: I had an LJ coupe for a bit, a mate is doing up a LJ GTR coupe its getting a worked 327 so that will be fun.. :D

That LJ with the 327 does sound pretty awesome. Just the thing for a state with no speed limit. Be a shame if some do gooder changed it to 130 hey? I'm guessing you're in the NT Dingo?

Calibres weren't really my choice. I was looking at small centre fires and my shooting buddy said "no, just get a 223, cheaper ammo and we can't have .17 and 223 rattling around in the console together while we're spotlighting" so 223 it was. Then I was looking for something a bit bigger and he was like "270, 308, 7-08, all kill about the same, so just wait till you find a good one on Ozgunsales that's local". That's how I ended up with the 270. It kills stuff dead so I suppose he was right.
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 01 Apr 2017, 9:00 pm

Tom Foolery wrote:
darwindingo wrote:

That LJ with the 327 does sound pretty awesome. Just the thing for a state with no speed limit. Be a shame if some do gooder changed it to 130 hey? I'm guessing you're in the NT Dingo?

Calibres weren't really my choice. I was looking at small centre fires and my shooting buddy said "no, just get a 223, cheaper ammo and we can't have .17 and 223 rattling around in the console together while we're spotlighting" so 223 it was. Then I was looking for something a bit bigger and he was like "270, 308, 7-08, all kill about the same, so just wait till you find a good one on Ozgunsales that's local". That's how I ended up with the 270. It kills stuff dead so I suppose he was right.

The open speed zones have shrunk enough already :thumbsdown: My mate with the LJ is near Newcastle so no open speed limits for him. I was in the NT for many years, but recently relocated to Vic so the Sambar are back on the menu without thousands of kilometer trips :D A mate has a .270 he has taken a hell of a lot of Sambar with, he is very happy with it.

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Tom Foolery » 06 Apr 2017, 7:54 pm

darwindingo wrote: I was in the NT for many years, but recently relocated to Vic so the Sambar are back on the menu without thousands of kilometer trips

True that, but a long drive to shoot a buffalo. :cry:

Yet to have a go at the Sambar myself. One day.
Tom Foolery
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Growler » 07 Apr 2017, 5:44 pm

G'day, short time member 1st time poster. Getting back into it after an absence playing with bows. Interests are 4wding and the only 4wd that should ever be considered is a Patrol. Partial to camping and traveling. My newest firearm was manufactured between 1962 and 1980 and the oldest I think is late 1920's, and one in the 40's
Just the necessity
Growler
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by burek » 07 Apr 2017, 7:27 pm

Hi

I decided to stop lurking since it's getting tempting to participate :) Brand new shooter on the Sunshine Coast. Well, still waiting on the damn licence. Week 9 currently... sigh. They did call me in for ID check only days after the application. Trolling me I guess...

Already have deposit down on a Tikka Stainless Lite in 223rem so that thing will be getting picked up on the same day that the licence and the PTA arrive. It's been 6 weeks on the PTA too but I imagine they will send both at same time.

Was mainly going to be me at it by myself until my brother in law, with whom I had not much in common, found out and couldn't contain his excitement. Apparently he was going to let his Vic licence expire since he moved up to QLD. Now he's transferring his licence and all of a sudden we are mates. Guns bringing people together :)
burek
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 07 Apr 2017, 9:36 pm

Grats, burek. Welcome and may your wait be short and uneventful.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Apr 2017, 11:09 pm

juststarting wrote:Grats, burek. Welcome and may your wait be short and uneventful.

:welcome:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Yipikaye » 15 Apr 2017, 9:50 pm

Hi All,

Just a short one to introduce myself.

I've been shooting a few times overseas and always loved it. I've finally decided to go through the process at home of getting a firearms license and my own firearm.

I joined SSAA, live in Sydney and will be shooting at the Anzac range in Malabar.

I don't know anyone there yet so if you go there call out :)
- .303 British
- 12G
Yipikaye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by colinbentley » 16 Apr 2017, 11:12 am

I've just come back to target shooting after a 10 year layoff. Sold all my guns, safe, cleaning and reloading equipment and thought I would never shoot again but after moving house a couple of years ago found I was only a 4 minute drive to the range. The temptation was too great so here I am again with all the frustrations and challenges. Bit pricey when you have start from scratch.Problem I have is that I have no sales resistance.......I see a nice gun.....I want to buy it.
colinbentley
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 17 Apr 2017, 2:55 pm

colinbentley wrote:Problem I have is that I have no sales resistance.......I see a nice gun.....I want to buy it.

I want to is resistance. I see - I buy, that's a different story. :drinks:
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by mongo » 17 Apr 2017, 10:09 pm

I'm new to shooting, just got my Cat A/B and popped a deposit down on a safe. I shot at a mate's farm about twenty years ago and always really enjoyed it, plinking and a few bunnies mainly.

I've been doing a fair bit of reading to decide on a rifle and now the decision is which of the 12-15 I need should bee purchased first.

Also looking at maybe giving F class a crack once I can shoot straight..
mongo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Dogger » 21 Apr 2017, 10:22 pm

Hi ive been shooting now for 40+ years, i steer away from alot of forums as there's a lot of bs about. This website seems to be composed of people whom are genuinely interested in shooting, and promote being helpfull. Ive owned more firearms than most gun shops. Ive worked in the industry and i love military weapon history. Im looking forward to our chats.
Dogger
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by tom604 » 22 Apr 2017, 8:43 am

:welcome: mongo and dogger :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation