The introduce yourself thread (combined)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: New bloke

Post by Stix » 04 Oct 2017, 8:31 pm

jmr22 wrote:
Stix wrote:G'day mate...

Coconuts eh...?!!
Your lucky...paddocks down here only have melons, & no matter what you shoot them with you cant see a hit...everything just goes straight through...! :lol:

I could shoot coconuts but cant afford them down here.

Welcome

Funny you say that, with my .223 it just pin holes it, with the 30-06 it disappears!

What projectile you use in .223...?
I would have thought a frangible .22 cal BT would pop a coconut open...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 04 Oct 2017, 8:37 pm

jmr22 wrote:I'll leave the redneck bit for the local flogs that drive around in there 200series Landcruisers wearings spurs haha

:lol:
I know one of them down here...thinks he's gods gift to hunting but he never goes hunting...only ever has the one hunting story to tell...he loves to brag about his landcruiser too...but the problem is he cant shoot for sh*t...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by jmr22 » 04 Oct 2017, 8:47 pm

Stix wrote:
jmr22 wrote:I'll leave the redneck bit for the local flogs that drive around in there 200series Landcruisers wearings spurs haha

:lol:
I know one of them down here...thinks he's gods gift to hunting but he never goes hunting...only ever has the one hunting story to tell...he loves to brag about his landcruiser too...but the problem is he cant shoot for sh*t...

Doesn't matter if you cant shoot a gun, as long as you can shoot your mouth off about how good you are that's all that matter! :lol: :lol:
.177 auto pellet gun
.22lr Marlin box
.22lr Marlin tube mag
.243 Sterling
.30-06 Argentinian
12ga Armed o/u
12ga straight pull STP
jmr22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jmr22 » 04 Oct 2017, 8:51 pm

Stix wrote:
jmr22 wrote:
Stix wrote:G'day mate...

Coconuts eh...?!!
Your lucky...paddocks down here only have melons, & no matter what you shoot them with you cant see a hit...everything just goes straight through...! :lol:

I could shoot coconuts but cant afford them down here.

Welcome

Funny you say that, with my .223 it just pin holes it, with the 30-06 it disappears!

What projectile you use in .223...?
I would have thought a frangible .22 cal BT would pop a coconut open...?

Just whatever cheap 55gr jacketed rounds I have at the time. Tried some 220gr jacketed slugs out of the 30-06 at a coconut at about 75 yards, that gave it a flogging, was like firing a house brick with the drop though.
.177 auto pellet gun
.22lr Marlin box
.22lr Marlin tube mag
.243 Sterling
.30-06 Argentinian
12ga Armed o/u
12ga straight pull STP
jmr22
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 05 Oct 2017, 5:16 pm

Stix wrote:
Daddybang wrote:
jmr22 wrote:G'day guys and girls

I'm Jacko from FNQ. been lurking for a while and only just joined.

mainly into shooting tin cans, coconuts and paper target.

Thanks for having me.

Jacko.

Gday mate good to get another fnqlder on here some of the southern fellas on here a bit weird but they're a good bunch. :drinks:

...Ay...!!!
And you fnq's are a good bunch for rednecks... (the name daddybang says it all).
:sarcasm: :lol: :drinks:

Hahaha. :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: The introduce yourself thread (combined)

Post by matto9018 » 06 Oct 2017, 5:42 am

G'day everyone
I'm Matto, from the Gold Coast QLD, started shooting when I was young, now 27. Learned from the old man. I just shoot at targets for now.
Looking forward to learn things on this forum.
Cheers
matto9018
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 06 Oct 2017, 7:14 am

Welcome to all great to see fellas getting into the sport :drinks: :welcome:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JonBarskio » 09 Oct 2017, 3:28 pm

Welcome to the forum, Matto! Cheers! :)
JonBarskio
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Jdt96 » 09 Oct 2017, 4:34 pm

Hey guys I’m 20 about to turn 21 from Queensland and im waiting for my licence to come through I already have two rifles paid off so as soon as I get my licence and pta I’ll be living at the range no doubt
Jdt96
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 09 Oct 2017, 6:00 pm

Jdt96 wrote:Hey guys I’m 20 about to turn 21 from Queensland and im waiting for my licence to come through I already have two rifles paid off so as soon as I get my licence and pta I’ll be living at the range no doubt

Yeah more qlders !!!!! Welcome aboard :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JonBarskio » 11 Oct 2017, 4:42 pm

Hello, Jdt96! Welcome to the forum! :)
JonBarskio
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Westaussieguy » 14 Oct 2017, 11:55 am

Hi Everyone, Just found this great site. I am from the south coast of W.A and work as a bow technician at a Firearms and archery shop. I have gotten back into shooting after 25 years as an archer, my shoulders are getting on so the bow has found it way into the cupboard. I took up rimfire benchrest shooting at my local SSAA club a couple of years ago and I do a bit of rabbit shooting when I can. I have just picked up a Tikka T3 s/s varmint in .223 and hope to start reloading as soon as I get the rest of my gear together.
I am hoping to get some good info from here and maybe I can contribute a little as well.
Cheers Matt.
Westaussieguy
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by kb1 » 15 Oct 2017, 1:26 pm

hi all just a gday to everyone as im new.
me and my partner and i are avid hunters foxes and rabbits cats , reside in perth hills looking for a hunting properties to shoot on .
look forward to hearing from anyone for a chat or exchange stories
ssaa members
cz 22
222 rem anshultz
kb1
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Keith » 15 Oct 2017, 1:41 pm

Good day everyone.
My name is Keith, I am a land owner, retired, & I live off grid in a forest in New England.
I have both modern guns & rifles & muzzle-loaders including some antiques. My interests are: 18th century living history & historical trekking, primitive survival skills, video production, bush walking, & photography.
I do little to no hunting these days, as I only hunt if I need meat. I do not agree with trophy hunting or hunting for sport. I will hunt ferals if needs be, but even so I have a reluctance to kill any animal unless there is a need.
I have been a gun owner since age 7 years.
Regards, Keith.
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I took the one less travelled by,
and that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost.
http://woodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com/
Keith
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 16 Oct 2017, 8:31 am

Gday to all :welcome:
Keith wrote:Good day everyone.
My name is Keith, I am a land owner, retired, & I live off grid in a forest in New England.
I have both modern guns & rifles & muzzle-loaders including some antiques. My interests are: 18th century living history & historical trekking, primitive survival skills, video production, bush walking, & photography.
I do little to no hunting these days, as I only hunt if I need meat. I do not agree with trophy hunting or hunting for sport. I will hunt ferals if needs be, but even so I have a reluctance to kill any animal unless there is a need.
I have been a gun owner since age 7 years.
Regards, Keith.

No problems with ya not agreeing with hunting for sport or trophies as long as ya accept that many of us do :thumbsup: :welcome:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldmate » 09 Nov 2017, 7:22 am

Gday everyone, a newbie just introducing myself. Enjoy shooting,camping and four wheel driving, so it looked like a great forum to join. So here I am. :)
Oldmate
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 09 Nov 2017, 6:58 pm

Welcome, Oldmate.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Nov 2017, 5:58 am

:welcome:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 10 Nov 2017, 6:58 am

hey folks, i'm a new forum member, was a shooter/ gun nut when i was younger.have recently decided to get back into it.lots of regs and beurocracy now. have a bit of a collection going already but. 22lr,22 mag,2 x 22 hornet ( maybe "K" soon ), 2 x 6.5x55. got a 30-30 marlin. might have jumped the gun with the marlin ( no pun intended ), for usefullness. any thoughts on 22-250 ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Nov 2017, 8:37 pm

bigrich wrote: for usefullness. any thoughts on 22-250 ?

Love em to bits,, :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 11 Nov 2017, 9:52 am

bigrich wrote:hey folks, i'm a new forum member, ... ... ...
for usefullness. any thoughts on 22-250 ?

Be VERY wary of the 22-250...it is a round that is highly dangerous to a lot of shooters...

Once you've been intimate with one, they cling to you with a scary obsession, they follow you everywhere & insist on constant attention with very regular exercise...

22-250's are like vampires...once youve been bitten, its almost like you become one...

Dont say you weren't warned...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 11 Nov 2017, 9:49 pm

good on ya stix. lol . i was in the hot rod muscle car scene for years, give it away for shooting as a hobby. used to do fussy tuning carby builds and stuff ,so fiddling/tweaking the hornet sounds like a challenge/fun. looking for a calibre to fill the gap between the hornet and 6.5. i suppose i could do the 223 thing, with a 1/8 twist it sounds flexable, cheap to run and useable, have read posts on here about accuracy, range and "red mist" with 22-250. lol
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Nov 2017, 9:53 pm

22-250 sounds like fun alright ,lots of second hand rifles about. found a ole german made krico in 22-250 that would be a good project. anyone got opinions on krico 600 series ?
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Nov 2017, 9:49 am

I dont know anything about krico mate.
Maybe start a thread & ask everyone.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 14 Nov 2017, 6:47 am

not really sure on how to start a thread yet. 'puter's are still black magic to me at times stix. i've been on my facebook page three times in six months ! lol. i got enough to play with already i suppose. i'm a history nerd and a bit of a collector , cant help myself when i see classic old rifles that need a good home. trying to get a bit more range time up with my 6.5x55 model 70 winnie so i can head to a mates property at tenterfeild to have a shoot.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Wm.Traynor » 14 Nov 2017, 11:38 am

Hi bigrich
To start a thread, you need to study the heading or topic-subjects. To do that go to the top of the page and click on "Shooting forum", top left or go down to the left to, "Jump to" and click on the arrow in the long rectangular box. that will bring up all the topics. Choose a heading that fits :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 14 Nov 2017, 5:34 pm

thanks for the tips wm.traynor. have found this forum to be very informative. some of the wisecracks from some of the characters on here give me a giggle as well. cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by roll_tide » 15 Nov 2017, 11:08 am

G'day All,

Another newbie to the forum, so thanks in advance.
I'm glad i've found a place where like minded folk can help each other out.
i've had years of rabbit and fox shooting experience on private land as well as target shooting and now i have graduated into stalking deer and goats in Vic.
Loving it so far, but there is much to learn.

Again, G'day to everyone,

Tom
roll_tide
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 15 Nov 2017, 4:30 pm

hey roll tide, i'm a newbie myself. noticed your fox and rabbit experience, any advice for a novice shooter ? cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by roll_tide » 15 Nov 2017, 5:11 pm

G’day Bigrich,

Probably err on the side of caution and know your limits. You don’t want to be shooting from too far away unless you know you can hit it.
I started off at a range to learn my weapon then went for the pests.
Hope that helps!
roll_tide
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation