The introduce yourself thread (combined)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: The introduce yourself thread (combined)

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 15 May 2019, 12:16 pm

Hi everyone,

I have had my application in for just over 8 weeks and have 2 guns waiting patiently for me at the shop. I'll be doing a mixture of hunting and target shooting
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by landyvlad » 01 Aug 2019, 12:31 pm

Hi everyone.

I just found this forum today, so I figured I'd pop in and have a look.
Undoubtedly those who also are members over at AHN will know me.

I've been shooting since I was at high school - back in the late 80s and well before the demonisation we suffered in 1996 (and still do). All of the firearms I had back then became illegal in pretty short order. Pump action shotguns, semi auto rifles and a handgun I had.

Fast forward to now and the safe contains relatively few firearms. I've sold a few of late. All my rifles are bolt guns - a Brno and Ruger both 22LR, a 243 A-Bolt and 30-06 A-Bolt.. I've got a Brno/CZ SxS 12G shotgun., a Yildiz SxS 410 and an old Liege hammer gun also 12G that I'm doing up for use with black powder cartridges.

Gone, and lamented but necessary financially at the time, two Ruger #1's in 375 H&H, a Ruger #1 in 303 British and a Beretta Silver Pigeon V O/U 12G shotgun ( a real looker than one! )..

Two other important beliefs:
1. John Howard is the devil.
2. John Wayne is God.

I have a mind-numbingly boring full time office job to pay the bill;, and as a sideline I run "Buy Used Guns"

So that's me... G'day !
landyvlad
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Nomis » 01 Aug 2019, 4:55 pm

G'Day everyone,

I'm a brand new shooter who is sort of figuring it all out as I go. I am now licensed and my first two PTAs arrived today which means I should have my first two rifles in the safe tomorrow night!

I'm a history teacher by day and I collect a lot of militaria and other historical stuff so my gun collection will mostly be an extension of that. I live in Shepparton in Victoria but will be doing most of my shooting at SSAA Eagle Park due to storing my guns in Ballarat.

My first two rifles are a 1960s Krico 22LR and a 1905 production Carl Gustaf M96 Mauser. Very much looking forward to getting into this new hobby!

Nomis.
Nomis
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Aug 2019, 12:43 am

Welcome to the nuthouse to all recent joiners - lots of great info and help here - lots of really good peeps and the occasional arsehole lol. (Just kidding, they are more than occasional - I’m joking!!!)
Welcome
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by scoot » 09 Aug 2019, 11:52 am

Hey everyone,
Been creeping around stalking this forum for a while now and thought I should join in.Great source of stories & info.
I'm more into chasing ferals as opposed to target work. like most I never get out enough though so any chance I get for shot is enjoyed no matter what form it comes.
Hopefully I can contribute positively to the forum. :drinks:
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Skippy84 » 15 Aug 2019, 8:34 am

G'day
Been on the forum reading through and getting info but have a few questions i can't seem to find answers to so thought i better introduce myself before posting any questions. I live in far north QLD shooting pigs on cane and banana farms plus travelling regularly out west culling roos. Don't own enough guns there's always one more i must have haha. I reload for all my guns looking at getting into progressive presses as i now shoot handguns as well.
Skippy84
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Kadmium » 16 Aug 2019, 5:36 am

Howdy. My name is Kadmium, and I have a problem. Hopefully it only gets worse :crazy:

Been a long time lurker, figured I would contribute!
CZ452 - .22LR
Marlin 336 - 30-30
Tika T3 - .308
Hatsan - 12G
Coming soon - ???
Kadmium
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Jack Ryan » 06 Oct 2019, 2:07 pm

Howdy Gents. Just an Indiana fella out wandering around the globe. Thought I'd stop in and have a look.
Free men own guns. Slaves don't.
Jack Ryan
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Clem » 22 Oct 2019, 12:50 pm

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster.
Good to see you all.....
:drinks:
Clem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 22 Oct 2019, 1:44 pm

G'day Clem... :drinks:

Pretty cool picture... :clap:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Callee » 09 Nov 2019, 8:20 pm

Hi All,

SA rifle and shotgun shooter (36yo female). Just getting back into itafter a couple of years break with intentions of competing next year.

Biggest piece of help I could get right now would be I would love a quiet peaceful place for practicing target.
Any SA folks no somewhere within a couple of hours of Adelaide that’s not crowded?
I’ll happily pay in cash (or beer lol) to rent a space on weekends.
I’m a really respectful and quiet.

Anyway, looking forward to exchanging with you all, and might see some of you in the comps.
Callee
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 10 Nov 2019, 9:19 am

Hi Callee.

Being a QLD’er I can’t help you with place to practice in SA, but wanted to welcome you to the forum nonetheless.
Great to see some female shooters on here. Enjoy.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Zacnoel » 10 Nov 2019, 4:33 pm

Hi guys

New to the forum , have been out of the sport for about 20 years and have jumped back in boots and all.
Currently rifles Rem 700 30-06, weatherby Vanguard .223, savage B17 17HMR
And the reloading bench from hell. All the gear no idea. Well maybe some
Zacnoel
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 11 Nov 2019, 6:46 am

I realised I never introduced myself, so hey guys and girls.

A mate has offered to take me hunting for goat meat to make sausages, so I've been waiting on a license since August and buying gear as I wait.

I've been reading and learning a lot on here and other places, so thanks to the admin and of course all the knowledgeable contributors!
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by geoff » 11 Nov 2019, 1:42 pm

I'm geoff, i shoot in WA

Currently own a 243, a couple rimfires, a shogtun and a revolver i shoot in Std Revolver match

I'm building up my 243 to get into some longer range target shooting, most of my shooting at the moment is ute based culling and harvesting with a bit of plinking on the side
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 11 Nov 2019, 10:06 pm

geoff wrote:I'm geoff, i shoot in WA

Currently own a 243, a couple rimfires, a shogtun and a revolver i shoot in Std Revolver match

I'm building up my 243 to get into some longer range target shooting, most of my shooting at the moment is ute based culling and harvesting with a bit of plinking on the side

Welcome a Geoff. It is good to see another West Australian on the site. Especially a fellow .243 owner. They are a very versatile cartridge in W.A.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 12 Nov 2019, 11:20 am

Callee wrote:Hi All,

SA rifle and shotgun shooter (36yo female). Just getting back into itafter a couple of years break with intentions of competing next year.

Biggest piece of help I could get right now would be I would love a quiet peaceful place for practicing target.
Any SA folks no somewhere within a couple of hours of Adelaide that’s not crowded?
I’ll happily pay in cash (or beer lol) to rent a space on weekends.
I’m a really respectful and quiet.

Anyway, looking forward to exchanging with you all, and might see some of you in the comps.

Hi Callee, welcome...

Id hazzard a guess its unlijely people will offer up their properties for you to shoot on...many people (including myself) have issues with regular shooting here due to lack of reasonably prices & available options.

Are you involved in a club here at the moment...?

What sort of range (distance) do you want to shoot, how often & how many of you are there...?

:)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Spanielz11 » 12 Nov 2019, 11:37 am

G'day all,

Been shooting for a good few years now, as most know, once you get bitten by the bug theres no stopping the passion.
Been back and forth to this forum plenty of times over the years, there is just a fantastic wealth of information and knowledge here from other Aussie shooters. Finally stopped lurking in the back and figured i would come forward and say G'day.

Best of luck in everyones hunting and competition ventures
If its big and fast, I wanna know all about it
Weatherby MkV - .220 Swift
Remington Sendero - .300 RUM
AIA M10B2 - .308 Win
Musgrave - .308 Win
Weatherby Vanguard - .223 Rem
Remington 788 - .222 Rem
Stirling 14 - .22 LR
Spanielz11
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by geoff » 12 Nov 2019, 2:23 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:
Welcome a Geoff. It is good to see another West Australian on the site. Especially a fellow .243 owner. They are a very versatile cartridge in W.A.

Thanks Bruiser, i'm a big fan of the 243 as a do all. Particularly down here on the north antarctic peninsula where there's nothing it can't put down....

I see on some other threads that we share some mutual shooting interests and geography. If you ever need some company on a shoot, feel free to sing out! I'm always out by myself. At least nobody steals my chips
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by skwerl101 » 20 Nov 2019, 12:27 pm

hy from Canada

Purchased a Lithgow 101 last season ( my favorite card cutting gun ) then when I came
across this forum I had to explore & join . Watching in the news seems as Aus. , NZ and Can.
have like challenges with firearm control advocates .

enjoying the dialogue so far ........... skwerl
skwerl101
Recruit
Recruit

Canada

Post by Windycity2953 » 23 Nov 2019, 9:46 am

Hello friends. from Chicago Illinois usa.I am a firearm enthusiast and Hunter and thought I would introduce myself.regardless of where we are in the world,we have a common interest.if I were to meet any of you,I'm sure we would have a good talk on firearms and hunting.I look at your forum from time to time,and there are some very knowledgeable gun enthusiasts here and I enjoy reading your posts.maybe some day,I will be fortunate enough to visit your country.good health and good luck.
Windycity2953
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Richchris » 24 Nov 2019, 8:14 am

Hi all,

I have just come back to shooting after having had a break due to family commitments and life getting in the way. I am in Queensland and have taken up .22 rifle comp shooting at a local club. Shot my new Ruger Precision with a Nikon 6-18 scope yesterday. After firing my first 3 round group I could not wipe the smile off my face. Such a great piece of kit. I have also invested in a Steyr Pro-hunter in .243 and plan on my first deer hunt next year. I have not fitted a scope to the .243 yet. Just doing some research. Buy once, buy right. I look forward to using this forum as a great point of reference.
Richchris
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by DownAndGive Me20 » 25 Nov 2019, 12:43 pm

Hello,
Lots of good information here so I've joined up.
Motivated by the rising pests problem I've jumped through the hoops again to satisfy the bureaucracy and bought a couple of Lithgows. Happy with the rifle/scope set-ups and pretty quick zeroing down at Little River so now I'm onto the GMA App. Restricted with no 4X4 but I'm keen to walk the bush again anyway!
Cheers
If you consider yourself a Master, change your name to Bates.
DownAndGive Me20
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by trevort » 01 Dec 2019, 5:43 pm

hello eveyone

I just tried joining up and found my username and email were already registered. So seems like I did it a while ago and never posted,

So by way of introduction I've been shooting and loading for years and been on a few forums for years aswell so no doubt will know some of you.

I shoot long range benchrest infrequently badly but its let me meet great people who have a wealth of knowledge and its helped me in the field and at the reloading bench.
I love wildcats and customising things. I cant buy a rifle and leave it standard/

Another forum member invited m to cull deer on private property 4 years ago and we are now firm friends and through youtube and some other friends I've learned to dress butcher and cook venison and have found it a bit of a passion.

Thats about it
trevort
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by DRD » 17 Dec 2019, 12:34 am

Hello all, great looking forum and looking forward to contributing.
DRD
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by cbrhunter » 17 Dec 2019, 2:10 pm

Hi, new to the sport and forum. In Canberra, looking for some like minded people to hunt with.Into deep sea fishing also, but not from Canberra so I dont know many people here.

Cheers
Stew.
cbrhunter
Recruit
Recruit

Australian Capital Territory

Post by mchughcb » 04 Jan 2020, 12:38 pm

Well an introduction is in order.
I live in Victoria. Been hunting for a while, one way or another. Visit this forum a few times a year.
If I post pictures do I need to make sure dead animals have their faces covered so they can't be recognised?
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Jayman6 » 05 Jan 2020, 5:24 pm

Gday All
New to shooting after having been hassled for some time by a mate to get into it. Currently awaiting my a/b licence application to be processed. Looking forward to learning heaps here. Cheers!
Jayman6
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by moum1n » 19 Jan 2020, 5:01 am

Hey guys I'm new around here. I'm currently living in Western Victoria and Im moving on from the shooting range. I've been researching areas to go hunting around my neck of the woods. Just wanted to ask around if anyone has the "More to Explore" app on their phone. Have you guys tried it out, is it a reliable source to find decent places to go hunting?
moum1n
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bender21 » 31 Jan 2020, 8:52 pm

Hey guys,

Brand new to shooting and currently waiting to do my licensing course, Really enjoying having a read through all the info on here and researching what I would like to get for my first gun. Recently moved to North Central Vic so if anybody can recommend any good clubs within a couple of hours for a beginner that would be fantastic!

Cheers
bender21
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation