The introduce yourself thread (combined)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: The introduce yourself thread (combined)

Post by LJC » 21 Jun 2021, 1:15 pm

Greetings,

Been lurking around the forum for a while picking up what I can. New to the sport and keen to get around it! Though I won't get to do that until next year now, away for work and travel being what it is not many opportunities to get home.

Not much to say about me, I like getting out and am hoping to build some skills over the next couple of years to enjoy the outdoors in a different way and become a bit more self sufficient.

See you all on the boards here or the range somewhere else.

Cheers
LJC
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by cleger » 03 Jul 2021, 2:23 pm

I've been here for a year, and I've ignored the link to this page for too long. I set my username as "cleger" out of habit, but my real name is Chris Leger.

I was born and live in New England, which is in the upper-right-hand corner on a map of the US. I've lived for years at a time in fairly remote rural parts, suburban areas, and in the very center of downtown Boston, so I think I can appreciate perspectives both rural and urban, both left and right.

My dad and both my grandfathers were avid hunters. I have photos of my mother as a little girl, holding the rabbits her father had shot, and my paternal grandfather worked most of his career for a gun manufacturer. I still own his guns, and I've added a few of my own to the collection.

My work has at various times taken me all over the world. People often carry on about "cultural differences," but with the exception of the American south, I never found any significant differences anywhere in the English-speaking world that went very far past the way food is packaged.

I've been to Australia 5 times. The longest visit was the 6 months I spent living on Leichhardt Street in Brisbane in 2016. I'd love to return some day.
cleger
Private
Private

United States of America

Post by Wandys Critters » 04 Jul 2021, 3:50 pm

hey there
my first post but have been memberised for fair while now
luv the outdoors and my animals and reading all the stuff on here
been shooting of and on for near eight years but my friend does lots more than me
dislike crowds and citys and busses but love muscle cars
Tikka-CZ-Browning-Leopold-Leopold-Hi-Lux
Wandys Critters
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by pilotsignal » 10 Jul 2021, 4:17 pm

Hi Guys,

I have just joined your community here. Applied for NSW licence couple of months ago and still waiting for it.
I am very excited with this new opportunity to find new friends among fellow shooters.
My last shooting experience was long ago and limited to AK-47 and AK74 :D
Now, it is time to refresh my skills at the range, selecting and buy my new rifle and move on to small games!
;)
pilotsignal
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Don_Stevenson » 29 Jul 2021, 9:22 am

Hi Everyone,

Obligatory intro post. New to the forum but not entirely new shooting.

Learnt to shoot as a kid on my uncles farm with air rifles and 22s, joined the Army out of school but after a few uneventful years got out with a knee injury.

Post Army did some pistol about 10 years ago but gave it up when kids came along. Took up archery to scratch the itch and still have a traditional longbow (American flatbow).

Always wanted to get back into shooting properly and a couple of months ago I was able to take my wife (never shot before) to a "try shooting" session at St Mary's. Turns out for a complete novice she was pretty bloody good and I hadn't lost all my skill either so we are now looking at taking up shooting together as a couples activity since the kids are a bit older and we've got our jobs sorted out etc.

I'm keen on PRS style shooting but we will probably kick off with F Class in 223 to keep costs down and figure out where we want to go with it.

Looking forward to reading up on the forums.
Don_Stevenson
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Joseph81 » 06 Aug 2021, 3:25 am

Hi Guys,

This is my first post.
I'm located in WA and I'm am new to hunting, I am lucky enough to have a friend that is an experienced hunter/ shooter that is taking the time to introduce the sport to me. I was ex military in another life and now I work offshore.
I have joined this group to hopefully meet someone minded people and learn as much as I can.

I'm also interested in joining a club to meet some fellow shooters and improve/ work on my skills so any guidance would be appreciated.

Regards Joseph
Joseph81
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by disco stu » 07 Aug 2021, 6:56 pm

Welcome to the forum. Good luck getting into the hunting
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by munitalP » 10 Aug 2021, 2:32 pm

Hi Ya'll
Mainly a target blaster but ocassional venison shooter.
.22 & 9mm Colt 1911
.22 Ruger, 22/250 Howa, .44Mag Rossi Lever Action - Howdy Partner...
munitalP
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Pinko » 12 Aug 2021, 5:45 pm

Hello Everyone,

I'm based in South Western NSW. Long time forum stalker, it's a great helpful community here. Finally got around to joining, hope I can give back a little, or continue to pick everyone's brain.
Mainly enjoy spotlighting these days and usually hit out a few times a week.
Pinko
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by gunchad » 20 Nov 2021, 12:20 pm

Hi All,

I'm Sydney based (fairly central), been cat H licensed for just over 10 years now and cat G for about 7. Unfortunately I haven't been very active in shooting for the last several years and currently own zero firearms, but I'm going to remedy that and get back into things and more involved in the sport/community.
I'm also interested in getting into long guns and reloading.
I was a member of a now defunct Australian shooting forum some years ago but I haven't been on the forums since then. Just found this place and thought I'd join up.
gunchad
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Matt050 » 14 Dec 2021, 2:51 pm

Hi everyone,

NSW based and currently 2 months into my cat H probation period . Apologies in advance for any stupid questions
Matt050
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by Hardcast » 13 Jan 2022, 3:52 pm

Hi all, not new here, just haven't been to confession for a few years. :thumbsup:
Getting old sucks, not much Hunting these days, of the 13 firearms in the Safe, only three smokeless Centre fire, the rest are Black powder which I have enjoyed for 20 years.
Looking forward to reading about what's happening. Cheers HC.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by GJP69 » 01 Feb 2022, 9:12 pm

Hi Guys & Girls.
Been reading and hiding in the background for the last couple years while deciding to licence up. Anyway decision finally made, safe installed, rifles ordered and my first two pta's should be here by early next week.
GJP69
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Feb 2022, 6:46 pm

Hardcast wrote:Hi all, not new here, just haven't been to confession for a few years. :thumbsup:
Getting old sucks, not much Hunting these days, of the 13 firearms in the Safe, only three smokeless Centre fire, the rest are Black powder which I have enjoyed for 20 years.
Looking forward to reading about what's happening. Cheers HC.

Welcome back.
When did you go to the "dark side"?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Mini Hulk » 09 Feb 2022, 3:40 pm

Hi all,

New here, but I've been on a couple of other Aussie shooting forums. I've been shooting for a few years but by no means an expert, so I tend to be more of a lurker as I'd rather keep my trap shut and learn than just make stuff up.

Currently I'm looking down the rabbit hole of reloading. I dunno if I can justify the expense, but it does look like heaps of fun.

Cheers.
Pro Tip: Taking the gun off safe increases the velocity by 100%...
Mini Hulk
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by noneyabussiness » 10 Feb 2022, 11:17 am

hi all,

brother in law took me pig hunting up north and was hooked... had my license now for over a year and starting to put it all together... really want to teach my boys ( and girls if they want ) to hunt as its a dying art, as the abundance of ferals implies... thank you
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Feb 2022, 12:08 pm

noneyabussiness wrote:hi all,

brother in law took me pig hunting up north and was hooked... had my license now for over a year and starting to put it all together... really want to teach my boys ( and girls if they want ) to hunt as its a dying art, as the abundance of ferals implies... thank you

Welcome Mate, glad to see you joining in.
Can't help but wonder if you purposely misspelt part of your user name though, ( bussiness ) :unknown:
There may be an abundance of ferals in various areas, but I believe not due to a "dying art" of hunting.
Hunting itself is a hugely popular sport/past time, and growing every day (yourself included obviously), but the ever increasing clamp downs from various beaurocratic departments are definitely having a choking effect on certain issues.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by 6mm Remington » 10 Feb 2022, 5:14 pm

Hello from Brisbane QLD .. I have owned firearms since I was 15, my first rifle was a 30-06 Mauser.
My main hunting rifle for the past 30 years is a Remington model Seven in 6mm REM
Love my Miroku U/O and have recently started pistol shooting with a brand new S&W model 41.
Still in love with my 1964 BRNO model 2 and my Martini .310 Greener and my 1973 Marlin 336 and others.
Thanks to all the members for the intelligent input on this forum.
6mm Remington
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by noneyabussiness » 10 Feb 2022, 6:57 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
noneyabussiness wrote:hi all,

Welcome Mate, glad to see you joining in.
Can't help but wonder if you purposely misspelt part of your user name though, ( bussiness ) :unknown:
There may be an abundance of ferals in various areas, but I believe not due to a "dying art" of hunting.
Hunting itself is a hugely popular sport/past time, and growing every day (yourself included obviously), but the ever increasing clamp downs from various beaurocratic departments are definitely having a choking effect on certain issues.

its a personal joke, of a email address thats 20 odd years old...
noneyabussiness
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by b066y » 01 Apr 2022, 2:09 pm

Hi all from WA

About to get my first handgun. Would appreciate some advice on storage and dealers I should buy from and those I should avoid.

Are there any large safes for handguns specifically with separate compartment for ammo? The spika models I've seen are either for rifles and have tiny ammo boxes or do not have any separate locks for ammo.

Thank you
b066y
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Smokeyr67 » 02 Apr 2022, 3:48 am

Hi guys,

I’m an old fart getting back into target shooting, currently negotiating the QLD laws, regulations and WLB interpretations, hopefully I’ll be licensed again in the not too distant future (at least for cat a and b, cat H… that might take some time :) )
Smokeyr67
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 03 Apr 2022, 2:23 pm

:welcome: G’day mate.

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the licensing.
:drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Firepit » 07 Apr 2022, 10:53 am

Hi everyone,
I seem to find myself coming across content in the forum a fair bit when searching for info so signed up. I've been lurking for a while but thought I'd say G'day.
I'm pretty new to the community, I initially had the intension of shooting at the local range every now and then with bench rest rifle and pistol which quickly turned into IPSC coolness when I found the local club. My mate got his license shortly after me and we have now gone on a few hunting trips which have been a hell of a lot of fun.
Thanks for all of the info in the forum it is very helpful for those starting off.

Hey @b066y I saw your post above. Have you looked into the Spika Safe Organisers? Would that be suitable for storing your handgun? I'll probably have to go down that route when I purchase my first pistol. That or a completely separate safe.

b066y wrote:Are there any large safes for handguns specifically with separate compartment for ammo? The spika models I've seen are either for rifles and have tiny ammo boxes or do not have any separate locks for ammo.

SMALL SINGLE GUN SAFE ORGANISER (Small, medium and large options)

Cheers
Firepit
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Ragnorrk » 08 May 2022, 12:41 am

Hi Friends David from USA here. I recently bought Browning BSS and want to share my experience with guns. Hope we will spent a good time here. Thanks
Ragnorrk
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by TheKid204 » 28 May 2022, 8:45 am

Hi All,

I’m new to the forum but not new to shooting.

More into recreational hunting and pest/vermin control side of things coming from a rural background.

I stumbled onto the forum looking for some information on a new shotgun.

I posted a reply to the topic but as yet appears it must need to go through a moderation process as it hasn’t appeared on the thread. Not sure if there’s anything else I have to do to be able to post?

Happy I found the forum, have only looked at a few parts but seems to be a great source of info, keep up the great work.
TheKid204
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 24 Jun 2022, 7:12 pm

Hi all,

I've been a shooter for 50yrs, all ferals, I don't shoot natives and there are enough other shooters on surrounding properties that I haven't seen a live roo for a couple of years.

The reloading shortage, mainly my favourite primers as I have a couple of kilos of assorted pills, meant I had to buy a new rimfire :D

I went for the La101 and have been busy trying every brand I can get and after collecting 2.5kg of empties come up with 3 best performers.

For rabbits, Sellier and Bellot Subsonic 40gn HP out to 75m, Power Point for beyond 75m and Lapua Center X for targets.

I was told by someone who knows far more than me that the Lapua was the round the 101 is actually chambered for and that it's what they used in their accuracy claims.

True or not they're outstanding.
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Grillin » 01 Aug 2022, 5:53 pm

Hi all,

New member from QLD. I mostly shoot pest control on rural property and looking to get into some bigger hunting adventures down the track. Lots of great threads on here and I look forward to sticking around!
Grillin
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Ricky » 08 Sep 2022, 10:57 pm

G’day,

new member from the other end of the world, from the Austrian Alps.

A few words about myself. I work in the hunting industry as an agent, guide and writer, so I am lucky enough to travel the world and hunt quite a lot. Also, I am one of the admins of a European hunting forum.

Irrespective of my job, I have a deep passion for adventurous hunts, preferably unguided wilderness hunts. For instance, I have spent one month solo backpack hunting New Zealand’s South Island in early 2020. And I have just returned from an extended solo caribou hunt in Norway.

For 2023, I am intending to hunt the Vic high country for Sambar. Don’t worry, I am not going to ask for spots. I prefer doing my own research and I have done a lot of it, so I am confident that it is not too bad. And for me, such hunts are rather about the adventure than about the harvest anyway.

Currently, I am going through the rifle import paperwork, but everything should be alright.

I have joined the forum to keep up on some local news and to ask a few details.
Ricky
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by T3X@N » 09 Sep 2022, 7:49 pm

Hi all,
I'm fairly new to shooting, bought my first gun a few months ago, and I love it! I already have another one on order. I have always been fascinated by how firearms work, and the the technology that goes into them. I'm more interested in the sporting side of things, and hopefully can learn a lot on here. Here is a photo of my first gun, enjoy.
T3X@N
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 10 Sep 2022, 4:19 pm

Ricky wrote:G’day,

new member from the other end of the world, from the Austrian Alps.

A few words about myself. I work in the hunting industry as an agent, guide and writer, so I am lucky enough to travel the world and hunt quite a lot. Also, I am one of the admins of a European hunting forum.

Irrespective of my job, I have a deep passion for adventurous hunts, preferably unguided wilderness hunts. For instance, I have spent one month solo backpack hunting New Zealand’s South Island in early 2020. And I have just returned from an extended solo caribou hunt in Norway.

For 2023, I am intending to hunt the Vic high country for Sambar. Don’t worry, I am not going to ask for spots. I prefer doing my own research and I have done a lot of it, so I am confident that it is not too bad. And for me, such hunts are rather about the adventure than about the harvest anyway.

Currently, I am going through the rifle import paperwork, but everything should be alright.

I have joined the forum to keep up on some local news and to ask a few details.

If you need to hook up with some of the best sambar hunters in Australia let me know I've got some good contacts less than 2 hours out of Melbourne and they can set you up on private property or state forest at very very reasonable prices.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation