The introduce yourself thread (combined)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: The introduce yourself thread (combined)

Post by Daddybang » 06 Jan 2019, 7:36 am

:welcome: aboard all the newcomers..don't be shy !! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major
Major

Queensland

Post by Zeju » 16 Jan 2019, 7:56 am

How’s it going?

Just been in the process of getting set up and now waiting for my license (since 13-12-2018) so hopefully I’ll be up and running in a month or two more.

This community is awesome and far more active than any others I’ve seen so I’m probably going to spend a lot of time here. Cheers!
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Austwave » 03 Feb 2019, 11:01 am

Hi Guys,
New to the sport, well its been a long time anyways.
In Sydney so never really had the opportunity or time. Came for 2 years nearly 30 years ago.
Spent most of my time fishing.
From down the far south coast NSW originally Eden way and still have family down that way.
Cousins get out for a deer hunt regularly(mainly fallow) and I am keen to get into it with them.
Got my licence application in awaiting approval and will get my R once its sorted.
Have been looking at what rifle to start with and am keen on the Tikka Super Lite in a 223 with a Leupold 3.5-10 X 40
And liked the look of the Lithgow LA102 in 308.
Look forward to learning from the wisdom of the group
Thanks for having me
Regards
Craig
Austwave
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Steve-0 » 03 Feb 2019, 1:19 pm

Hello all.
Just a quick g'day n how ya goin.
I reside in south west-ish Victoria. Always loved guns, and finally pulled my finder out late last year and got my license. Went out and bought one of these super accurate and affordable Howa .223 I hear everyone raving about. So far have only shot at paper, but it's been unreal fun so far.
Definitely have a lot to learn, and hopefully I'll pick up some knowledge on the forum here.
Look forward to having a yarn or three in the future.
Cheers
Stephen
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Aussieloader » 04 Feb 2019, 11:56 am

Hi guys,
Just a few lines to introduce myself to others on the forum. I am over 50 and have had longarms as well as used/owned handguns in the past. I work in the Security industry in Darwin. I have hunted the usual pigs, donkeys, the occassional feral camel in central Australia, roos, rabbits and foxes in Vic where I originally came from 24 years ago. Now I have an urge to try reloading and have bought a Lee 50th Anniversary Loader and all the extras. I intend to reload for my Weatherby Vanguard .308. Even though I do not have experience in reloading I am familiar with operation of firearms, understand the dangers of cartridge pressures etc. But I am sure I will have questions regarding many aspects of setting up the press etc so I am hoping some of the knowledgeable people on this site can help me. Keep your powder dry, well chat soon.
Paul
Aussieloader
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Arctic » 18 Feb 2019, 9:05 pm

Hi All,
My name is Mark,and live South of Adelaide.
My aim (no pun intended) is to eventually join the farmer assist program run by the S.S.A.A.
I currently have zero firearms but have just put a deposit on a .223 rifle to start the ball rolling.
I am keen to visit a range to get the 'eye in' but have to wait for the approved (or not) PTA.
Seems like a good crew here,and I've learnt quite a bit just by 'lurking' for a while.
Man of few words and all that,
Cheers,Mark.
Arctic
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bottlebolt » 21 Feb 2019, 9:57 am

Hi All

Really enjoying reading the information available in this forum, it's a great resource.
I've been around the sport since I was a young tacker but only just getting back into it again recently after drifting away for a while.

Trav from Kyneton.
bottlebolt
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by CrackThump » 22 Feb 2019, 2:09 pm

Humble beginings to what looks like being a VERY expensive hobby..

Just waiting on my PTA's to come back and its ON .. hehehe i wont have to keep borrowing rifles
Attachments
20190222_150233.jpg
20190222_150233.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 893 times
CrackThump
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by JimTom » 22 Feb 2019, 6:16 pm

Nice safe mate. Have fun filling it.
Huntin’, Fishin’, and Lovin’ Everyday.
JimTom
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Feb 2019, 7:01 pm

As dear or cheap as you want.
Hunt safe, look after the bush & plug more pests. :thumbsup: Better to load on the mild side. :o The greatest invention in the history of man is beer. :drinks: "Often the written message doesn't convey all of the information"
Oldbloke
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Feb 2019, 7:50 pm

Howdy to all new guys... :drinks:

Arctic wrote:Hi All,
My name is Mark,and live South of Adelaide.
My aim (no pun intended) is to eventually join the farmer assist program run by the S.S.A.A.
I currently have zero firearms but have just put a deposit on a .223 rifle to start the ball rolling.
I am keen to visit a range to get the 'eye in' but have to wait for the approved (or not) PTA.
Seems like a good crew here,and I've learnt quite a bit just by 'lurking' for a while.
Man of few words and all that,
Cheers,Mark.

Arctic...if you want to go to a range to shoot before you get your rifle(s), send me a PM...
Im pretty busy at the moment with trying to organise my life around a (hopefully) very busy & cracker of a fox season...but if timetables allow, im happy to meet you & take a few rifles out to the range & let you have a crack... :thumbsup:
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Captain
Captain

South Australia

Post by Arctic » 26 Feb 2019, 8:49 am

G'day Stix,first up thank you for your generous offer.
I am currently trying to send a PM but am a bit rusty around forums so it may take a while...
Cheers,Mark.
Arctic
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Kel » 02 Mar 2019, 9:46 am

Hi All,

Now that I've semi retired and living on acerage, I've gone through the hoops to get back into shooting. (A/B/H) Original I obtained my license as a teenager in WA and gave it up when my RAAF flying/deployments got in the way of regular pistol club attendances in SA (Service Pistol). Now I'm in NSW (Southern Tablelands) and disappointed to see the extent of gun restrictions in place in NSW. Joined the Shooters Farmers and Fishers party today too.

My A & B and Probationary pistol licenses have been issued and now I'm waiting on the A & B PTAs to come though.

I look forwards to reading the forum and getting back up to speed on recreational shooting.

Kelly Anne
Kel
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 02 Mar 2019, 12:39 pm

Gda kel +all the recent members :drinks:
Good to have ya's on board!!! :welcome: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Major
Major

Queensland

Post by grandadbushy » 02 Mar 2019, 12:52 pm

G'day new people and all others
Welcome to the forum
grandadbushy
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 04 Mar 2019, 3:41 pm

Howdy. A while back I was googling info on wild dogs and up comes a link to this forum. "Look at that" I thought, an Aussie forum. Since then I have read a number of topics on here, and found a lot of useful information. And on occasion I considered that I could have contributed to a topic being discussed, or asked a question myself. But to do that you have to be a member eh?? So here I am.

I got my first rifle, a .177 cal spring air rifle when I was about 8 years old, in the late 1970's. I still have it. It came with a spare spring, which I still have, and has never been fitted. Maybe one day. Then I graduated to the good old .22lr, a model 94 Winchester in 30/30 when I was 14, and then a Tikka LSA55 Deluxe in .243 just before my 16th birthday. I still own it too. Currently they share the gun safe with an Anschutz 1415 .22LR, and an FN Browning BLR in .243.

I am not much into range shooting at all, even when sighting in a rifle I prefer to do it on private property somewhere if I can. My use for my rifles is hunting, with my favourite quarry being the old feral pig. When occasion permits a fox or a dog too maybe.

Cheers,
Shayne
GQshayne
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Micksta » 09 Mar 2019, 3:34 pm

G'Day everyone
my names Mick
The wife and I went to Cairns for our wedding anniversary, we love it up there, we're from vic.
While exploring we went to the Artillery Museum in cairns, awesome place.
Shot a couple rifles at there indoor range and fell in love with shooting on the spot.
done a bit of plinking and shot a few clays at other places.

The paperwork for my licence has been sent and now awaiting some good news hopefully.

looking at a 22lr as my first bolt action rifle, and build up from there.
later on I'd love to give long range targets a go.

Since we're renting I'll have to ask the landlords if I can bolt a safe in the house (the missus hasn't come around to the idea yet)
If not I'll have to look at offsite storage.

I've learnt a fair bit about laws and meanings here while undergoing my safety course (was lurking for a while)
Can't wait to get out to the range and field.

Mick
Micksta
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 09 Mar 2019, 5:09 pm

Welcome To the mad house Mick,

Try and twist your landlords arm - it’s a bit of a pain having off site storage... sometimes you just want to check or look at something on a rifle or prep for a coming day out and about...
Tikka .260 (custom)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 28’
Sauer 30-06
Howa 300 win mag.
TassieTiger
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Tasmania

PreviousNext