Where did you learn to shoot?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Where did you learn to shoot?

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Jan 2017, 2:46 pm

deye243 wrote:my air rifles were a telly 177 and I used to go through around 700 - 1000 a week and when we got the wanders up

I bought a pump up jobbie in 22 cal this was when we moved in to town , when I was 7 I used to use a Lithgow B1

single shot 22lr on the farm .

Ah the good ol Pneumatic - had a Crossman 788 bb early on and eventually got a Sharp Innova .177 which was way better than the Crossman power wise and was extremely accurate with open sights (amazingly accurate really when I think back about some of the stuff I was shooting and the sizes of it and the distances I was shooting at it) tiny little accorn nut looking things in some sort of pine tree (not sure what it was called) but certainly was great to practice with and really honed ones skills when I think about it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by deye243 » 31 Jan 2017, 3:00 pm

yep the one I had had sights like a rem 700BDL a silver receiver and brown plastic stock and forend I think I was 11 or 12

when I walked in and payed the cash and walked out with 8-) s**t it took a lot of eels and rabbit to pay for that air rifle :lol:
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Title_II » 01 Feb 2017, 3:25 am

My dad when I was 4 years old. .22 rifle. He helped me hold it to make sure I didn't swing the thing around or do anything dumb.

Then my dad and my uncle trained me on various firearms. And my dad bought me airguns.

Then my step dad trained me. And bought me guns and loaned me some of his.

Then I got instruction from magazines and books.

Then I got training from the US Army. I knew what they were selling but it was a disciplined refresher.

Then the Airborne trained me. I had to score Expert every 30 days or I would be kicked out.

Then Insights trained me for civilian defensive handgun use.

I've picked up tips a tricks ever since. Including here! :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Sydor » 01 Feb 2017, 10:05 am

Learn to shoot at my middle school Basic Military Training back in USSR. I learned how to assemble and disassemble AKM as well.
National service after that.
Sydor
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Draco » 03 Feb 2017, 8:41 pm

When i was about 8 i was allowed to go down to local mud flats with a group of the older boys. About 10 of us with maybe 4 air rifles. The local sergeant pulled us up and asked what we were doing. We explained and he said he would be down soon. When he came down it turned into a shooting lesson. Great memories
Draco
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by albat » 05 Feb 2017, 7:12 pm

I grew up in the uk in the country on a farm , in the 60's 70's my old man had heaps of guns ,including a couple of air rifles bsa meteor , bsa airsporter, me and my brothers got into these buggers early in the peace , shooting anything that moved around the farm rats in the barns , crows, rabbits galore before the myxo got into em, then as we got older we progressed to the .22 brno for foxes and the 12 bore crow shooting over the crops and then deer hunting with the parker hale .243 on properties in around the farm so ye was very lucky as a kid regarding shooting and lifestyle
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 06 Feb 2017, 3:26 pm

Missed this thread BFS so I better chip in now

I grew up in Murwillumbah in northern NSW until the age of 6 when we moved to Sydney so even though y father grew up on a farm I never learned to shoot as a kid. I fired a .22 at a friend's farm near Armidale and shot the cousins air rifles when we visited but it wasn't until 2008 that I joined a rifle club here in Sydney and started shooting.

I shot service rifle, shotguns, pistols, rimfire silhouette every weekend for a few years moving into F class, centerfire silhouette rifle and benchrest after a while and was luck enough to learn from some very experienced people and have some great experiences. I started hunting a few years later and although living in Sydney means hunting requires a weekend away at the least I've been lucky to hunt with some experienced hunters, take part in culls, shoot fallow in the snowy mountains, goats and pigs in the hunter and new england region, hunt a few state forests with mates and recently shoot Cape Barron geese in tassie, my first wing shooting experience.Very lucky to have a wife who not only supports my shooting activities, she also takes part owning a .223, a .22 and a 12g now herself, she nearly beat me on Sunday shooting 18/25 on only her second try with her new shotty

Still learning but also enjoy helping others down the path of becoming safe shooters and responsible hunters

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation