Have you added up the $$$ spent

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Have you added up the $$$ spent

Post by Gwion » 04 Mar 2017, 11:55 am

$40....

At least that's what I tell her.....

Obviously nowhere near what a lot of you guys have, that's for sure!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Chronos » 04 Mar 2017, 2:37 pm

Worked out the replacement value for rifles and scopes only once for home insurance records. The wife wanted to know how much to tell the insurance compan. Gave her a list, response was "more guns that I knew about....."

My answer was that all but two rifles and most of the scopes have been bought second hand for about half retail cost so if we loose the lot in the fire we'll double our money :lol:

Chronos

Edit to add the scary thing is working out the replacement cost of your powder, breass and projectiles :wtf:
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Adlippy » 04 Mar 2017, 4:54 pm

Who is responsible for this! Bearing in mind I only get my license in august, by early April when my new and last toy arrives it will be $15k in just guns and scopes ammo and stuff no idea reloading equipment that I have got to using yet about 1k a quad bike which was purchased to run around the orchards on for work but is only used for bunny busting not work related about 10k plus I am about to buy a motorbike to help me complete my midlife crisis thing. My April arrival will be the last one,don't laugh, as I will be broke and living off 2 minute noodles, although that tikka tac A1 or whatever it's called does look cool
Sako Finn Fire II 22lr, Nikon pro staff 3x9x40
Sako Finn fire II 17HMR, Meopta Meopro 3x12x50
Tikka Hunter 22-250 Meopta Meopro 6x18x50
Stoeger condor 12g
Adlippy
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Mar 2017, 8:30 pm

brett1868 wrote:I keep extensive records of the firearms including Caliber, Make, Model, S/N, R/N, Purchase date, Cost, Accessories details and the number comes to instant death if the wife ever finds out :)

So do I,,,, tis a good thing eh Brett ?
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Mar 2017, 8:35 pm

Noisydad wrote:I'd been having a quiet worry to myself about this very idea for a while. Then I found out much how LN's ex spends on booze, prescription drugs and cancer sticks per week. Now I don't care what I spend on my sport and neither does LN!

Good move Mate,,

My ex's sleaze ball passed away just before Xmas,,,,,,, Now I'll have to find some-one else to get a voodoo doll made of. :evil:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Mar 2017, 8:37 pm

Gamerancher wrote:So, that was an interesting exercise Die Juicii.
So the numbers aren't as bad as I thought. Total worth of arms at current market value ( not new replacement cost ) comes in at 60k, dived by 36 doesn't look so bad. All associated other paraphernalia, reloading gear, brass, dies, projies, powder in stock, cleaning gear, casting gear etc totals about 25k. Considering this has been accumulated over 30-odd years, Bugger all.

Good to see I helped ya pass away a few more hours in the day Mate, :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 04 Mar 2017, 8:41 pm

Title_II wrote:I need another drink.

Slow down Title,,,,,,,,, you shouldn't be shrinking and dooting,,,,, it's not safe. :drinks:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Title_II » 04 Mar 2017, 9:13 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Title_II wrote:I need another drink.

Slow down Title,,,,,,,,, you shouldn't be shrinking and dooting,,,,, it's not safe. :drinks:

You're right. Adding up the money I spent on them is risky, too.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by juststarting » 04 Mar 2017, 11:35 pm

No, I am afraid to. Speaking of wives though... Yesterday, I came home, unloaded the car in the garage, kids and wife came out. I have groceries, takeaway and a rifle in the back. I am thinking, s**t, busted! Maybe, I can unload it slowly and hopefully they will go inside by then, but noooo. Little man comes up to the car and does his usual inspection, what's this daddy. I am thinking to my self, you little snitch! Wife, just looked at the box, looked at me, demonstrated absolute lack of interest to what was an obvious box with a gun in it, took the takeaway and went inside. The look - priceless, like, f*** it, I am not even going to bother anymore. I see this as a win, gentleman.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Mar 2017, 12:53 am

juststarting wrote:No, I am afraid to. Speaking of wives though... Yesterday, I came home, unloaded the car in the garage, kids and wife came out. I have groceries, takeaway and a rifle in the back. I am thinking, s**t, busted! Maybe, I can unload it slowly and hopefully they will go inside by then, but noooo. Little man comes up to the car and does his usual inspection, what's this daddy. I am thinking to my self, you little snitch! Wife, just looked at the box, looked at me, demonstrated absolute lack of interest to what was an obvious box with a gun in it, took the takeaway and went inside. The look - priceless, like, f*** it, I am not even going to bother anymore. I see this as a win, gentleman.

Ohhhhh no,, Don't be so bloody gullible.

After a think about it they always come back for a snipe.
If not today,,,, it'll be when you least expect it.
:thumbsdown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GLS_1956 » 05 Mar 2017, 1:14 am

Decades ago, early 1970s, my maternal grandmother and one of my mother's sisters were visiting the house when my father and I returned from going to a gun show, and yes, dad had picked up a new "toy".

My aunt looked at my mother, her younger sister, and asked. "How much has he, he being my father, spends on those guns?" My mother paused for a moment then went over to the micro-wave oven, touching it she said. "First micro-wave oven sold in this town." Dad knew the Amana dealer and had asked to be called when they became available. The dealer only got one in and sold it to dad before anyone else got theirs. Mom, without saying a word, then went over to the built in Dishwasher, opened the cabinet showing her china dishes and crystal ware, opened the chest holding her sterling silver silverware, pointed to the Color TV with its 24 inch screen, her necklace, pearls, and then to the driveway where her car sat. She then said quite softly, "And the boys don't lack for anything either.

Nothing was ever said again by anyone about dad and him picking up a gun anytime he wanted to.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Gamerancher » 05 Mar 2017, 6:55 am

Don't know how I'd go with replacement cost. How do you get "new for old" values on collectable guns from the 1880's & 1890's?
Also, 1/2 a dozen of my rifles have multiple barrels, how do you value those? :unknown:
Then there's the import costs for a bunch of them that I forgot about.
Might need to go back and do a re-count. :o

As for the Missus, she pretty well knows what I've put into all this. She was the one who once told me that I'd better get another one when the count was an odd number. ( Okay, that might have happened a fair few times ) :D
She has also accompanied me on a number of overseas trips/holidays that wouldn't have happened if not for me competing. :thumbsup:
Then again, I've never added up what she spends on her horses. :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 06 Mar 2017, 2:20 pm

Hello, my name is on_one_wheel and I've got a shooting problem ...

This week I've bought
1 pair of binoculars
1 chronograph
1 brick of .22 lr ammo
1 brick of shotgun cartridges
1 box of clays
And consumed
50 .223 rounds
10 .243 rounds
100 .22 lr rounds
And enough cleaning solvent & patches to clean 2 rifles.

My problem is that I can only shoot one firearm at a time.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Mar 2017, 8:58 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Hello, my name is on_one_wheel and I've got a shooting problem ...

This week I've bought
1 pair of binoculars
1 chronograph
1 brick of .22 lr ammo
1 brick of shotgun cartridges
1 box of clays
And consumed
50 .223 rounds
10 .243 rounds
100 .22 lr rounds
And enough cleaning solvent & patches to clean 2 rifles.

My problem is that I can only shoot one firearm at a time.

Well since you put it that way,,, it's no wonder you are "On one wheel" :D
And your introduction sounded familiar,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 07 Mar 2017, 12:29 am

It was worth it
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Wylie27 » 07 Mar 2017, 5:59 am

I regret nothing
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by COLLECTOR 1 » 21 Mar 2017, 11:34 pm

Interesting thread...

Been adding it all up over the last couple of days...OMG...it's over 100k, and I've still got a way to go....

Collector 1
More Brno's than you can poke a stick at..!!!!
COLLECTOR 1
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 22 Mar 2017, 2:13 am

There will be more
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia