Random thought about laser range finders

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Random thought about laser range finders

Post by YoungBuck » 06 Apr 2017, 3:10 pm

Just had a random thought, range finders use laser beams to measure round trip time of the laser to measure the distance to a target. There are devices out there that some people put in their cars to detect such laser beams to allow them just enough time to plough the brakes and avoid a speeding fine...

So my though being in a sniper team, the spotter is using a range finder right? Could it be possible for the target (person) to have a laser detector on their person to alert them when they are being ranged? :unknown:
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Random thought about laser range finders

Post by bladeracer » 06 Apr 2017, 3:24 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Just had a random thought, range finders use laser beams to measure round trip time of the laser to measure the distance to a target. There are devices out there that some people put in their cars to detect such laser beams to allow them just enough time to plough the brakes and avoid a speeding fine...

So my though being in a sniper team, the spotter is using a range finder right? Could it be possible for the target (person) to have a laser detector on their person to alert them when they are being ranged? :unknown:

Yes.
In the same way that the range finder detects the returning laser beam, other people can also have detectors.

I'd be interested in putting two range finders together to see if they can corrupt each other's signals.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 06 Apr 2017, 4:24 pm

I have heard depending on the wave length, a LRF output can be detected under NVG's similar what a night aiming device ( ir laser ) looks like under NVG's, never had everything all in one place in the dark though myself

And yeah some vehicles have LRF countermeasures of sorts, have also heard of filters over optics in vehicles incase personnel over cop a laser, being they magnify and all, good way to loose your sight
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Title_II » 07 Apr 2017, 1:11 pm

AusTac wrote:I have heard depending on the wave length, a LRF output can be detected under NVG's similar what a night aiming device ( ir laser ) looks like under NVG's, never had everything all in one place in the dark though myself

And yeah some vehicles have LRF countermeasures of sorts, have also heard of filters over optics in vehicles incase personnel over cop a laser, being they magnify and all, good way to loose your sight

They are not IR. They are Near IR, although people loosely call them IR. IR is heat radiation. Near IR is just outside the visible spectrum.

I will test to confirm the range finder, but it is pretty obvious that Gen II and especially Gen III will see near IR. But they see a lot of stuff, including visible light. What kind of training are you going to have and who are you going to have standing around waiting for the specific signature of a range finder? That's a pretty obscure threat. Also, you won't be able to see crap during the day.

Curious hypothetical exercise but we are getting deep in the weeds. If you see a laser assume there may be an issue. I will check and see what it looks like. But not tonight. It's obviously very brief.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by juststarting » 07 Apr 2017, 1:59 pm

Yes.

Not entirely sure about hand held devices though. But if you read about defensive technologies (electronics) built into modern tanks, that'll answer all questions... Laser, EM, heat signatures, etc. Or how tanks defend against antitank mines. Technology is there and been used for decades. Just comes in smaller packages over the years.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation