Jerry can - inside cabin

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Jerry can - inside cabin

Post by AusTac » 07 Apr 2017, 1:00 pm

Temporary storage of jerry cans on the interior of a 4x4 for the bigger trips, good/bad idea?
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Re: Jerry can - inside cabin

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 07 Apr 2017, 1:10 pm

As long as theyre well sealed and dont leak fumes..... and you know an empty/near empty vessel is a lot more 'dangerous' than a full one...fumes mixed with enough air/oxygen 'and that'...
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gwion » 07 Apr 2017, 3:15 pm

Just don't light up that durry! ;)
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Apr 2017, 3:31 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:As long as theyre well sealed and dont leak fumes..... and you know an empty/near empty vessel is a lot more 'dangerous' than a full one...fumes mixed with enough air/oxygen 'and that'...

Correct, if the air to vapour mix is too rich or lean will not explode. Might burn good though if its rich.

The main problem is when you leave it in the car and come back and open the 12v electric door. If it's been leaking and your nearby look out!

If your in the car with it you will smell it long before it is at a dangerous level.

I do my best to avoid it, LPG included.

PS. Diesel is much less hazardous as it is not very volatile. (doesn't usually give off vapours)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bent Arrow » 07 Apr 2017, 3:39 pm

You probably could, but I wouldnt. If it's diesel, buy a rack and stick them on the back. Much cheaper than a long range tank and much easier to manage than on the roof. I'm not sure, but I don't think you're allowed to carry petrol on the back of the vehicle, probably varies from state to state.
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 07 Apr 2017, 8:58 pm

Generally not a great idea apart from short trips, are you off-roading? even the newest and bestest jerries can leak when bouncing around for a while, best worst case the smell is annoying, extreme worst case is hospital.

The odour thresholds for petrol/diesel are pretty low so you will probably smell a leak well before your spontaneously explode.
Bigjobss

Post by Chickenhawk » 10 Apr 2017, 1:35 pm

I do it now and then with good bottles which don't give fumes.

If there's spill on the container or it's a s**ty one sending of waves of that smell I don't do it.
Chickenhawk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Title_II » 10 Apr 2017, 1:56 pm

It produces vapor, not fumes ;)

I would call it Class I, Div II. Should be good, but if something goes wrong it will be really bad. Not the best idea. Just keep it outside in a locked box.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Off topic - General conversation