ANZAC Day Shoot

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

ANZAC Day Shoot

Post by Gwion » 10 Apr 2017, 2:40 pm

If anyone wants to join in our club ANZAC Day shoot on the weekend following ANZAC Day (29 April) in Nth Tas, send me a PM and i'll post more details to you.

Any caliber from .223 up to 8mm. 12 shots standing 200yd, 12 shots sitting or kneeling 200yd, 12 shots prone 300yd. Hunting or Milsurp rifles only, no fancy target rigs......... etc, etc.... PM me for more detail.

Should be a friendly, fun day... was last year!

Cheers
Last edited by Gwion on 10 Apr 2017, 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Re: ANZAC Day Shoot

Post by No1Mk3 » 10 Apr 2017, 2:56 pm

MRC doing the same at Little River on Anzac Day, range closed to public. bbq & raffles with all proceeds from the day going to Legacy.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 10 Apr 2017, 3:07 pm

I'll be there at little river. Got the ol warhorses tuned up and dialed in.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 26 Apr 2017, 8:41 am

Just a reminder to Tasmanian shooters that we are holding an ANZAC Shoot this Saturday, 29th April.

Contact me for more info.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 02 May 2017, 12:38 pm

Here is a report on our ANZAC Shoot, as will appear in our next club newsletter (with minor edits for personal privacy). I also edited the club name because i haven't run past the committee if they are happy to put this online. We are based in Mid Nth Tas:

For those of you who couldn’t make it along to the ANZAC Shoot, you missed out on a great day!

The sun was shining. Wind was ever so gentle, mainly quartering away from the left to right, but, as usual at "the Oldest CLub in Tas", switching about whenever it felt like it. Course of fire was 5 round +2 sighters @ 200yd sitting or kneeling, 5 Rounds @ 200yd standing (each detail 3 min time limit + sighters for first detail), 10 rounds + 2 sighters @ 300yd prone, sighter in your own time, 10 rounds in 2 minutes with a single exposure.

A total of 9 shooters, including 3 guest shooters, where in contention for the beautiful, handmade, perpetual trophy (thanks again to Club Secretary "RedCrow" for making the trophy) and other ANZAC themed prizes. Another shooter turned up for the final detail but was not in contention. The first two details, not being our usual shooting format and with the added pressure of time constraints and competition, saw some (including yours truly) struggle to register impressive scores, although the playing field was very much even; with a couple of standout performers. One that deserves a special mention is "Heckler303 (jnr)", who managed some very good shooting and registered top score from the sitting position, using his trusty old 303brit with open battle sites. Well done, "Heckler303 (jnr)". Unfortunately, like most of us, the pressure got to him in the standing position and he forgot to flip up his graduated sites for the second detail. Really goes to show how keeping a cool head and being methodical is so important in any shooting discipline. After the standing detail, guest shooter "GunShopMan" was clearly in the lead by 5 points, with our club Capt., "BigHavana", coming second.

After the sitting/kneeling and standing details, we all moved back to the 300yd mound and sat down for a BBQ lunch and a good old yak about what ever came to mind before continuing with the prone event.

Again, having a time constraint of 2 minutes and only the first two sighters marked for reference really put the pressure on; even though the prone position is what we do week in, week out. A quick string of 10 rounds, with predominately hunting profile barrels, also saw a pattern of groups starting off in or near the bull and steadily widening throughout the string. This was largely due to barrels heating up and changing harmonics and, so, point of impact (POI). I suspect that having someone yell out that you are running out of time also contributed a little to a wandering point of aim (POA).

All in all, it was a fun and friendly day at the range and I think most of us walked away both happy with our efforts and with a few insights as to how we could improve our general firearms skills and practice for next year.

A special thanks to Mrs RedCrow for acting as chief target marker for the day. Also, thanks to RedCrow and "OldHammer" as our range officers, for providing a safe and enjoyable environment for us all to have some fun.

Prizes were donated by "RedCrow, Mrs RedCrow & Gwion".

Final results were as follows (Possible 120.20):

"the Oldest Club in Tas" ANZAC Shoot Champion:
"RedCrow": Perpetual Trophy
200yd(sit/kneel) 13, 200yd (stand) 22, 300yd 45: TOTAL: 80

"the Oldest Club in Tas" ANZAC Shoot 2nd:
"GunShopMan": Home-made Fruit Cake
200yd(sit/kneel) ?, 200yd (stand) ?, 300yd ?: TOTAL: 75

"the Oldest Club in Tas" ANZAC Shoot 3rd:
"Gwion": Home-made ANZAC Buiscuits
200yd(sit/kneel) 12, 200yd (stand) 13, 300yd 41: TOTAL: 66

Smallest Group @ 300yd: "Gwion": Hand knitted Woolen Beanie

Special mention to "Biggles" for scoring the only X of the day.

Thanks to all who came along and made it happen!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 02 May 2017, 12:46 pm

I'll just add that both 1st & 3rd place getters were well back in the field (I was 8th & "redCrow" was in 4th place) before the 300yd prone event while the 2nd place getter put in a consistent shoot across the board. I pipped "BigHavana" by a single point for 3rd.

The club is in the process of improving it's governance and expanding it's shooting program for next season to accommodate new members and greater numbers. Coming into the new season i will post more info about what is happening at the club for any shooters in Tas who wish to come along and take part.

Cheers
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by AusTac » 02 May 2017, 12:54 pm

Sounds like it was a good day Gwion, thanks for sharing
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 02 May 2017, 1:08 pm

:thumbsup: Glad it's of some interest, mate. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Title_II » 02 May 2017, 3:15 pm

Cool! :)
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Supaduke » 02 May 2017, 6:51 pm

Good stuff G, The Anzac Day shoot is now entrenched in my annual schedule. Combines a respectful remembrance service and a fun day of shooting.

Glad our tassy comrades had a good day as well.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 May 2017, 7:20 pm

Must have been a great day. Sounds like a small club?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Heckler303 » 03 May 2017, 5:34 am

Thanks for the huge write-up Gwion, I'm still kicking myself over not using the ladder sights on the Pattern 14 in second round. Don't know how I could have buggered that up. :unknown:

Guess I'll learn to be extra careful next time. I'd like to also mention I found all I could manage with the front blade of the rifle was to rest it right under the black, it absorbs the target if you try holding dead on for centre, so that's why the sight ladder was so crucial in that unexpected sucess first round. If my group slid down a few inches it would have been an even better score (My scores only wavered from 0-2 second round and were all high, so that must have been no bigger than a 6-7 inch group.)

Next year I'll see about bringing the No.4 Mk 1 T. Maybe I should see why you lot enjoy scopes so much ;)
If something doesn't work, apply rule .303!
Title_II wrote:If you carry a fun in Australia you will go to jail.
Heckler303
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Tasmania

Post by Title_II » 03 May 2017, 6:48 am

Heckler303 wrote:Thanks for the huge write-up Gwion, I'm still kicking myself over not using the ladder sights on the Pattern 14 in second round. Don't know how I could have buggered that up. :unknown:

Guess I'll learn to be extra careful next time. I'd like to also mention I found all I could manage with the front blade of the rifle was to rest it right under the black, it absorbs the target if you try holding dead on for centre, so that's why the sight ladder was so crucial in that unexpected sucess first round. If my group slid down a few inches it would have been an even better score (My scores only wavered from 0-2 second round and were all high, so that must have been no bigger than a 6-7 inch group.)

Next year I'll see about bringing the No.4 Mk 1 T. Maybe I should see why you lot enjoy scopes so much ;)

OK, I don't know how this works, and you probably can't do this since it's a competition. But the best target for iron sights is an upside-down "T."
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 03 May 2017, 7:54 am

Oldbloke wrote:Must have been a great day. Sounds like a small club?

Yeah. It is a very small club but we have had a few new members this season and we're gearing up for a bit of a recruiting drive. A number of our members didn't turn up for the shoot for one reason or another but still, it was a good, fun day.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Off topic - General conversation