Victorian Firearms license help

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Victorian Firearms license help

Post by NSK » 06 Jul 2017, 1:09 am

G'day fellas, currently in the process of submitting my application for cat A/B. I'm up to part 7 the referee section. I've gone through the list of acceptable referees and none of them really work for me. I've got plenty of general people I've known for ages who would do it but don't meet the criteria. Any help would be much appreciated thanks lads!
NSK
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Victorian Firearms license help

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Jul 2017, 5:18 am

G'day NSK,
If you do not know someone on the approved list then you have got a real problem. I find it odd you haven't got a doctor or dentist or teacher you have known for the required time? You will need to find someone as your application will not proceed without that referee, Cheers
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 07 Jul 2017, 9:34 am

You don't actually need to 'know' them as a friend. If it's a chemist you have been using for a few years as an example, that's good enough. It's mainly to verify your ID. The accountant you have been doing your tax with.
It is a pain in the arse though.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Dexer » 07 Jul 2017, 10:02 am

It's quite ridiculous IMO.

For instance, my father in law inadvertently let his license lapse after having it for 20 years. So 12 months after letting it go, he had to re-do the safety course and the application. Took him 9 months to find someone on the list (turned out to be an accountant his daughter knew). He's from a working class background.

Not everyone is connected with the professional tiers of society. If you haven't had kids in school for decades and you have simple tax affairs, there's not really a high chance you'll have associated with someone on that list.
Dexer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jul 2017, 12:48 pm

Dexer wrote:It's quite ridiculous IMO.

For instance, my father in law inadvertently let his license lapse after having it for 20 years. So 12 months after letting it go, he had to re-do the safety course and the application. Took him 9 months to find someone on the list (turned out to be an accountant his daughter knew). He's from a working class background.

Not everyone is connected with the professional tiers of society. If you haven't had kids in school for decades and you have simple tax affairs, there's not really a high chance you'll have associated with someone on that list.

It's just another hurdle they put in place as a means of making it more difficult.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 07 Jul 2017, 7:07 pm

sungazer wrote:Its probably one of the more sensible requirements though. They want someone that has known you for a long time to vouch for you that your not a nutter. I know thats not what it says but in reality that is what is being achieved.

Then he should (I reckon)be able to get anyone with a clean record not just a select few that most people wouldn't know well enough to ask. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by pete1 » 07 Jul 2017, 9:24 pm

I'm pretty sure bank employee can sign it off. All they want is to prove your identity, there not signing your a good/ bad person, just proving you are who you say you are.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Jul 2017, 9:41 pm

It is a long list.
You don't know a state government or council worker? Dentist, doctor, post office worker?

The big problem with this is if they are anti gun they won't sign.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 07 Jul 2017, 11:23 pm

Daddybang wrote:
sungazer wrote:Its probably one of the more sensible requirements though. They want someone that has known you for a long time to vouch for you that your not a nutter. I know thats not what it says but in reality that is what is being achieved.

Then he should (I reckon)be able to get anyone with a clean record not just a select few that most people wouldn't know well enough to ask. :thumbsup:

I agree It should be anyone with a clean record ! , faced this same issue when transferring back to Vic from NT recently after 20 odd years away.... Unfortunately my mate that was a Vic post office agent, had sold up just prior to me coming back down...

Twenty years was away was a real hurdle !

Unfortunately the individual that meets the criteria must be from Vic, otherwise I could have provided such from several judges from the supreme court, about 30 general duties police officers, 5 tactical response group police officers, a couple of federal police officers etc......... Along with everyone else on the list...(just from other jurisdictions). :wtf:

Need to change this requirement to facilitate appropriate referees from other jurisdictions at the very least !!!!!.... FN :crazy:

Fortunately I was able to locate a Doc that remembered me without being able to access records...

Also had an issue with the darn safety course time frames ! I had to wait well beyond the time frame required under law to advise (NT police of the change of address).... I spoke to a Vic Firearms officer about it and my concern that it technically put me in the position that I was in breach of the law, he said "yes its stupid and happens all the time, just don't notify the NT until its all sorted".. :huh: .. Oh and would I mind assisting with the delivery of the firearms safety training course (given my former firearms trainer history) :roll: .. Still have to sit the test though :? .. :problem: It's not the police's fault, but the out of touch legislators really need to wake up and smell the reality of it all ! I won't hold my breath though :roll: .....

System is seriously flawed !!!!!!!!! :thumbsdown: :violin: :lol:

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Daddybang » 08 Jul 2017, 4:37 am

If it's to prove who you are why not just show ya Id at the cop shop. Could it be possible that qld has a sensible firearms law and Victoria could learn something off us. :lol: :lol: :lol:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 08 Jul 2017, 8:32 am

ID can be faked. Other than a driving licence the coppers have no easy way to check this. Not everyone has a driving licence.

When I got my licence in Tas I had only been here a year and didn't know many people at all. I just asked at the post office. They had no probs doing it because in the country every 2nd person has a shooters licence and you don't get far or have a very pleasant time in any business if you annoy a group of people by making their life more difficult than it need be.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wombat » 08 Jul 2017, 1:48 pm

If the OP is still around, and it wasn't a troll trying to get something illegal suggested. I would advise him to ask his parents or siblings if one of their acquaintances ( that also know him) would qualify and be willing. Maybe look at the list of suitable referees again and have a hard think about it.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Jul 2017, 2:10 pm

Yep, I was wondering about the op too.
Actually it is the same requirement as applying for a Pass Port. :crazy:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by NSK » 10 Jul 2017, 12:07 am

Sorry boys been away on a fishing trip, I'm gonna try a doctor i've been to before with any luck he'll sign off on it. I appreciate all the advice!
NSK
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Templar1975 » 30 Jul 2017, 1:39 pm

I used my GP, no issues at all.
Templar1975
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by gordy » 09 May 2021, 10:43 am

I'm new to Victoria and having a lot of trouble finding a referee to sign my firearms licence. I haven't known anyone in this state for more than 3 months let alone someone from the list.
Does anyone know of any ways to get around this or any help would be appreciated!! Thanks
gordy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation