Gun cleaning

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Gun cleaning

Post by pomemax » 27 Jul 2017, 11:50 am

Have a read if you have time it shows just how quick rust can form even with gun oils of different types
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=3667
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 27 Jul 2017, 2:28 pm

Ok i f***ed up, upon reading some of these replies i got a bit paranoid and had a gander at my collection and low and behold, i found some surface rust ( i think ) in my .308's chamber which i must have forgot to oil :o all fixed now but damn that was close!
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Pythonkeeper » 27 Jul 2017, 5:21 pm

Incidentally, another Lithgow LA102 (243 also) was returned to my local the same week as I returned mine with exactly the same problem, or so I was told by the bloke who handles all the instore warranty returns.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wombat » 27 Jul 2017, 6:02 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Well oiled with Lanox and Sweets and into a gunsock in a safe with a $4 aldi dehumidifier - which even comes with a refill!
My safe is in the garage but even so I was suprised at the amount of moisture that thing trapped, ive gone through 2 sets in 12 months and i think it was a wise $8 spent.

If that is the type with the white granules like the "Damp Rid" ones I wouldn't leave it in the safe. Search for the MSDS and you will find that you end up with a container of salt water sitting in your safe :shock:... If the granules are used up and it starts evaporating in a hot shed....
Coles do a kitty litter that is basically silica gel, but is has a frangrance that optics dont like (so fine if there's no scopes). Recharged silica gel is free if you can get some old sachets. The tea bags or plasterboard are cheap or free and work.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 27 Jul 2017, 8:09 pm

My .308,s a lithgow also... :huh:
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2017, 7:33 am

Old thread but thought I would ask a question.
There are many "modern" carbon cleaning compounds out there.
But I remember someone years ago saying kero was the go.

Has anyone tried kero, turps, white spirit or other common solvents? Just curious.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 04 Oct 2017, 7:49 am

This seems to be something that is hard to understand.
No solvent dissolves carbon!
When you have a very aggressive solvent mixture like for example throttle body cleaner or carby cleaner what they are doing is dissolving the gunk that is holding the carbon.
In a rifle barrel you don't have that situation.
So carby cleaner or similar liquid will only wash away loose carbon.
A wet patch pushed through the barrel will remove loosely adhering carbon.
A bronze brush with the aid of a good solvent will be needed to remove firmly adhering carbon.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2017, 10:02 am

"No solvent dissolves carbon!"

That is a very good point.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 04 Oct 2017, 6:59 pm

Wombat wrote:
Bigjobss wrote:Well oiled with Lanox and Sweets and into a gunsock in a safe with a $4 aldi dehumidifier - which even comes with a refill!
My safe is in the garage but even so I was suprised at the amount of moisture that thing trapped, ive gone through 2 sets in 12 months and i think it was a wise $8 spent.

If that is the type with the white granules like the "Damp Rid" ones I wouldn't leave it in the safe. Search for the MSDS and you will find that you end up with a container of salt water sitting in your safe :shock:... If the granules are used up and it starts evaporating in a hot shed....
Coles do a kitty litter that is basically silica gel, but is has a frangrance that optics dont like (so fine if there's no scopes). Recharged silica gel is free if you can get some old sachets. The tea bags or plasterboard are cheap or free and work.

Woah thanks for the headsup, had no idea.
Bigjobss

Return to Off topic - General conversation