Vic LRD down the gurgler

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Vic LRD down the gurgler

Post by No1Mk3 » 27 Jul 2017, 7:34 pm

:crazy: For the 3rd time in as many months, I have received a "please explain" from LRD regarding an application for a rifle. As per usual, they want a valid reason for more than 3 of each calibre, except the permit is on my COLLECTORS licence, not my SHOOTERS licence! The brain-dead muppets doing data entry are not reading the form correctly, as both licences start with the same digits, but finish with the letter qualification for each type of licence, and they are not checking, so tomorrow morning after work, I will have to ring, wait through several minutes of automated gibberish, select multiple pointless menu waffles, then talk to a human and point out their mistake, to which they will again say "sorry, we will fix it and get you permit out to you" but God help us if WE make a mistake! To add to their growing incompetence, I have just received a Certificate of Registration for a shotgun I do not, and have NEVER owned!! Mein Gott!!!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Vic LRD down the gurgler

Post by Gwion » 27 Jul 2017, 10:38 pm

Ask them to send the shotgun to match the rego papers! :lol:

Seriously, though, you better sort the shotgun problem out before they inspect and cause you of losing a fire arm or selling it down the pub for $50!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Dexer » 27 Jul 2017, 11:33 pm

Is the 3x same calibre issue common? Got multiple firearms same calibre here, no problems... Would it matter if someone owned 10x .308's?
Dexer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 27 Jul 2017, 11:44 pm

It was explained to me in W.A. that the concern the police have is you could arm a bunch of people with a same calibre rifle.I have a bunch of shooter friends that all have a .243 rifle.A lever,bolt and single shot would be acceptable however to get possession from the LGS where my mates .243 was I put I needed a second rifle for Kangaroo culling in case my primary jammed or failed in some way
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Dexer » 28 Jul 2017, 9:18 am

It's easy to justify I suppose. Depends how stringent the requirement they need...

One for targets, one long range targets, scrub, varmint, long range hunting... I guess :wtf:
Dexer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Jul 2017, 9:43 am

G'day Dexer,
Cat A firearms are not queried, there is no practical limit to 22 and shotguns, but with Cat B rifles they will issue up to 3 permits without question, after that they will ask you to submit a letter outlining why you need another rifle in that caliber (Section 104(2) of the Act). As you say, it is not too onerous to come up with a Genuine Need. But in this case I am applying on my Collectors Licence, which has no limit at all, they have just f***ed it up, as is becoming usual. Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Dexer » 28 Jul 2017, 9:59 am

Yep, that's pretty irritating. The only issue I've ever had was an error in spelling an address update (person entering data spelled it wrong).

Though, based on what you said, issue seems similar.
Dexer
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jul 2017, 12:30 am

Up to 3 in the same calibre was my understanding as well.you could have a 218 bee .222 22/250 220 swift and it is not a problem
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 29 Jul 2017, 12:44 pm

This is where the nomenclature gets used in the wrong way.

Calibre is the diameter of the bore.

Chambering is the correct term to use but no-one does.

A .308 Winchester rifle and a .300 Winchester Magnum rifle are both the same calibre, i.e 30 calibre..
One is chambered for the .308 Winchester cartridge, the other is chambered for the .300 Win Mag cartridge.

The various firearms registries all incorrectly list firearms as calibre not chambering. .308Winchester is not a calibre
Sorry if I'm preaching to the wrong audience, but is something that really irks me. :crazy:

Rant over. :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jul 2017, 12:54 pm

Thanks Gamerancher I felt myself getting more intelligent as I was reading that.You are of course correct.Bottom line as long as it is different its cool
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 29 Jul 2017, 5:33 pm

Gamerancher wrote:This is where the nomenclature gets used in the wrong way.

Calibre is the diameter of the bore.

Chambering is the correct term to use but no-one does.

A .308 Winchester rifle and a .300 Winchester Magnum rifle are both the same calibre, i.e 30 calibre..
One is chambered for the .308 Winchester cartridge, the other is chambered for the .300 Win Mag cartridge.

The various firearms registries all incorrectly list firearms as calibre not chambering. .308Winchester is not a calibre
Sorry if I'm preaching to the wrong audience, but is something that really irks me. :crazy:

Rant over. :drinks:

Pet hate of mine, too.

Also referring to bullets as projectiles.....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jul 2017, 7:02 pm

Is projectile only used as a word when you are vomiting.I have done that
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 29 Jul 2017, 7:19 pm

Haha...
No.
Technically it is only a projectile while in flight; as it is projected from the firearm. It is a bullet, plain and simple.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Mr.Seacucumber » 29 Jul 2017, 10:44 pm

How hard is it to get the Victorian collectors license?
Mr.Seacucumber
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 30 Jul 2017, 5:34 pm

G'day Mr.Seacucumber,
Not overly difficult, but like all such things there are requirements. First, join an approved collectors organization, minimum of 6 months active membership before you can apply, some ask for 12 months before approving your application. You will need to upgrade your security to include steel safe minimum, bars on widows of room where the safe is, solid core door etc etc.All these things your club will point out before approving your licence application, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation