NSW Sound Moderator Application Package, hunters/PP/contract

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

NSW Sound Moderator Application Package, hunters/PP/contract

Post by WatchyShooter » 28 Jul 2017, 11:07 pm

So it seems like we have someone doing what is common in the US with tax stamps for SBR and sound moderators.

http://www.shawmacindustries.com.au/Pro ... tent-inner

Currently for NSW only, Application packages are available in the following formats:

- Recreational Hunter

- Primary Producer

- Professional/Contract Shooter

I highly suggest that if you think you fit that above, you check them out, the more people applying for and utilizing the fact that NSW FAR are approving licenses for sound moderators it will help it spill over into other states
Firearm-less LAFO!
New shooter, guns to come soon!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: NSW Sound Moderator Application Package

Post by WatchyShooter » 28 Jul 2017, 11:07 pm

Just wanted to add I’m in no way affiliated with them, just came across this and figured I’d share it
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 28 Jul 2017, 11:20 pm

good stuff
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by WatchyShooter » 28 Jul 2017, 11:29 pm

Club shooters have had issues with there not being any ranges that require or are approved for sound moderators, but that would be the next step, as currently I don’t even think there’s a system in place to approve a club for use of sound moderators as the only condition I’ve found was that they be required to comply with noise levels, which all clubs currently comply with without moderators so there’s “no need” for them in the eyes of FAR
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jul 2017, 7:32 am

Unobtainium!
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 29 Jul 2017, 7:51 am

Be very interested to see if they give them to rec hunters. :thumbsup:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jul 2017, 8:57 am

Daddybang wrote:Be very interested to see if they give them to rec hunters. :thumbsup:

Plenty have tried and just donated money to the NSW Govt Coffers - haven't heard of anyone getting one so far, not for rec hunting anyway.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Daddybang » 29 Jul 2017, 11:20 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Be very interested to see if they give them to rec hunters. :thumbsup:

Plenty have tried and just donated money to the NSW Govt Coffers - haven't heard of anyone getting one so far, not for rec hunting anyway.

Yeah I thought it might be like that. Why do they even bother dangling the carrot :unknown:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by WatchyShooter » 29 Jul 2017, 11:26 am

Daddybang wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Yeah I thought it might be like that. Why do they even bother dangling the carrot :unknown:

It wouldn’t be an option on the form if they planned on not approving any applications, as with most things it’s all dependant on “luck of the draw” in regards to how overzealous the officer reviewing your application is.
Farmers have had more luck, but I think that the key when applying for recreational hunting you need to NOT be hunting on crown land as that’s when they can say “no you can’t use sound moderators on crown land”
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 29 Jul 2017, 12:23 pm

Apply for one Watchy and you will soon see how your money disappears and you get the run around - I know of a few who have applied for one over a year or more ago now and still nothing.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by WatchyShooter » 29 Jul 2017, 1:00 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Apply for one Watchy and you will soon see how your money disappears and you get the run around - I know of a few who have applied for one over a year or more ago now and still nothing.

I Would if I was NSW based, but then again a lot would be different if I was :D
I’d reach out to your local shooter friendly member if you think your friends application is being given the run around, there’s been multiple enquires that recommended that recreational hunters be aloud access to sound moderators hence the addition to the application form
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jul 2017, 1:21 pm

Mine are clamp on and we put them on when we get to the farm and take them off when we leave.A non moderated .243 of the back off the ute blows my ears and I am usually driving as I have had my day in the sun and the other guys are keen as.There is still a crack but the blast is greatly reduced.I am confident the no silencers rule is something out of a James bond movie where they screw a big tube on the end of a pistol and shoot up the bad guys silently.In rifle shooting in the field there will always be a sound of some sort unless you are using Winchester Z.If I shot state forests like most of you I would not do something that would get me in trouble but again in the West we are on private property and if someone drove on the block we would see them coming from a long way away and it is unlikely the local copper would even know what it is.I usually call the local police if we are doing the weekend shooting at the farm.I hear the adjoining property doing a few with his 22/250 sometimes.This topic could get interesting, If it can be heard is it silenced?is it a muzzle break?.Things have to be very clear in the law
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by WatchyShooter » 29 Jul 2017, 1:27 pm

duncan61 wrote:Mine are clamp on and we put them on when we get to the farm and take them off when we leave.A non moderated .243 of the back off the ute blows my ears and I am usually driving as I have had my day in the sun and the other guys are keen as.There is still a crack but the blast is greatly reduced.I am confident the no silencers rule is something out of a James bond movie where they screw a big tube on the end of a pistol and shoot up the bad guys silently.In rifle shooting in the field there will always be a sound of some sort unless you are using Winchester Z.If I shot state forests like most of you I would not do something that would get me in trouble but again in the West we are on private property and if someone drove on the block we would see them coming from a long way away and it is unlikely the local copper would even know what it is.I usually call the local police if we are doing the weekend shooting at the farm.I hear the adjoining property doing a few with his 22/250 sometimes.This topic could get interesting, If it can be heard is it silenced?is it a muzzle break?.Things have to be very clear in the law

Very well said, the law isn’t clear, it usually says something along the lines of “dampens or reduces the sound” which a muzzle break could do.
The fear around silences is that, people think they make guns silent, that Hollywood sound. It why the only time you get anywhere is calling them sound moderators and when you upfront describe the benefits of them it’s hard to argue against them
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jul 2017, 2:10 pm

Its all relevant to where you are and what you are doing.If I was hunting and likely to take one well placed shot on a deer Who cares if there is a bang but we let off up to 40 shots a night culling roos under spotlight and I can either have my window up or wear hearing protection but I prefer whoever is on the back to fit the moderator.If the shots are being taken out the windows its not a problem but my crew get off on being on the back.My best mate even has a swivel chair to sit on.If the shot is slightly to the right of centre my head is about 600mm below the barrel.When I am on my own I put the spotlights on the car at about 15 degrees to the right and I cruise around till I see a roo then put down the hand held spotlight place the rifle out the window and close the bolt and track the roo with the spotlights on the car till the shot is on then pop.It works well for me.I have had drop out windscreens and roof mounted spotlights and the way we do it works well.
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jul 2017, 3:24 pm

duncan61 wrote:Its all relevant to where you are and what you are doing.If I was hunting and likely to take one well placed shot on a deer Who cares if there is a bang but we let off up to 40 shots a night culling roos under spotlight and I can either have my window up or wear hearing protection but I prefer whoever is on the back to fit the moderator.If the shots are being taken out the windows its not a problem but my crew get off on being on the back.My best mate even has a swivel chair to sit on.If the shot is slightly to the right of centre my head is about 600mm below the barrel.When I am on my own I put the spotlights on the car at about 15 degrees to the right and I cruise around till I see a roo then put down the hand held spotlight place the rifle out the window and close the bolt and track the roo with the spotlights on the car till the shot is on then pop.It works well for me.I have had drop out windscreens and roof mounted spotlights and the way we do it works well.

I assume you do understand that private property is not relevant. Possession of a suppressor is illegal, whether you have any firearms or whether it is encased permanently inside a ton of concrete is irrelevant.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jul 2017, 3:36 pm

Whats a suppressor.Its a flash Arrestor.I do like our debates.Are you familiar with the Brixton riots
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jul 2017, 3:57 pm

duncan61 wrote:Whats a suppressor.Its a flash Arrestor.I do like our debates.Are you familiar with the Brixton riots

Legally, a suppressor or "silencer" is _any_ device (regardless of what you call it) that reduces the sound of a gun firing.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jul 2017, 4:21 pm

If it is not logical or does not make sense.I dont play fair.You are 100% right but I am not going to take it.This forum does not support illegal activities however compare my .222 with its 22.2 grains of 2208 and 50 grain pill to the .243 that the others use with 35 grains of 2208 and 80 grain pill and the blast is about double.The fact that no one will ever find us is not the point.If there is a reason I cant adjust the muzzle blast I will listen but i will not just bend over cos someone said thats the way it is.Blade have you spent a lot of time in court.I have and treat it as a nice day out I suit up and have a nice lunch and defend what I believe in.I have no fear of authority and have a good understanding of the system.If its not affecting any one else whats the problem.Again I would not turn up at the range or hunt state forests with one
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jul 2017, 4:35 pm

Just checked my in box oopppps
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jul 2017, 4:37 pm

duncan61 wrote:If it is not logical or does not make sense.I dont play fair.You are 100% right but I am not going to take it.This forum does not support illegal activities however compare my .222 with its 22.2 grains of 2208 and 50 grain pill to the .243 that the others use with 35 grains of 2208 and 80 grain pill and the blast is about double.The fact that no one will ever find us is not the point.If there is a reason I cant adjust the muzzle blast I will listen but i will not just bend over cos someone said thats the way it is.Blade have you spent a lot of time in court.I have and treat it as a nice day out I suit up and have a nice lunch and defend what I believe in.I have no fear of authority and have a good understanding of the system.If its not affecting any one else whats the problem.Again I would not turn up at the range or hunt state forests with one

You agree that you are aware what you're doing is illegal...but you post here about it?

No, I have only had been in court twice that I can recall.
I agree, we should be free to do whatever we want if it doesn't affect others, but that's not the country we live in :-)
People lose their firearms for minor indiscretions, I'm not going to deliberately provoke them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jul 2017, 4:44 pm

good answer freo are going down in the footy.time to go out
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jul 2017, 4:57 pm

duncan61 wrote:good answer freo are going down in the footy.time to go out

I have zero interest in footy, but my brother-in-law played for the Dockers, and won the Sandover :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 29 Jul 2017, 5:25 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

Last I heard even pro shooters aren't getting applications processed, they just take their money and then never process their application :unknown:

Chances of a sporting shooter one approved are half way between not gonna happen and not on your life

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 29 Jul 2017, 5:53 pm

Yeah I've never even seen a true moderator in qld and the only person I've met who said they legally own one was a government contracted shooter. I would love to own one for the. 243 as I only have 80acres and I feel vaguely guilty whenever I use it as the neighbors are only about 700 Mtrs away. Not that they have ever complained. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 Jul 2017, 6:08 pm

Daddybang wrote:Yeah I've never even seen a true moderator in qld and the only person I've met who said they legally own one was a government contracted shooter. I would love to own one for the. 243 as I only have 80acres and I feel vaguely guilty whenever I use it as the neighbors are only about 700 Mtrs away. Not that they have ever complained. :drinks:

I owned one legally in the early eighties in SA.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 29 Jul 2017, 7:17 pm

Duncan. Discussing illegal practices is against forum rules and as you seem to be encouraging the unlawful use of sound moderators you might get a nasty surprise from forum moderators.
Just a heads up.
It's a no no: both what you are doing and also talking about it on this site.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by duncan61 » 29 Jul 2017, 7:50 pm

Agreed.I have found a paper on the subject that was compiled here at Edith Cowan Uni for NSW which is why you can now apply for this thing we speak of.I am going to ask questions here in W.A. about what is going on.We have SFFP representation here who I will write to now on this subject
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by WatchyShooter » 29 Jul 2017, 9:12 pm

duncan61 wrote:Agreed.I have found a paper on the subject that was compiled here at Edith Cowan Uni for NSW which is why you can now apply for this thing we speak of.I am going to ask questions here in W.A. about what is going on.We have SFFP representation here who I will write to now on this subject

That’s the way :drinks: I hate being in SA and seeing “local” SFFP branches more active then others, makes you want to get on them about the changes and you should
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by WatchyShooter » 30 Jul 2017, 12:13 am

QLD gearing up for a fight in QCAT after shooters being denied sound moderators.
https://www.lafo.com.au/cant-protect-he ... queensland
Firearm-less LAFO!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 30 Jul 2017, 7:04 am

WatchyShooter wrote:QLD gearing up for a fight in QCAT after shooters being denied sound moderators.
https://www.lafo.com.au/cant-protect-he ... queensland

Will be keeping an eye on this to see how it turns out thanks for sharing it watchy :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey