Pipe tobacco? (like Champion Ruby)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Pipe tobacco? (like Champion Ruby)

Post by inventurkey » 05 Aug 2017, 1:45 pm

This is really random, but as if I can be stuffed joining a pipe smoking forum, haha. Sure they're out there though.

I've got a bit of time on my hands these days so I thought bugger it, I'll give pipe smoking a go :lol:

I got a tin of Dr. Pat's Irish Mix, surprised to find though it honestly tastes like nothing. You'd barely know you were smoking if you didn't see the smoke.

I occasionally have a rollie with a mate who smokes Champion Ruby hand rolled cigs, and the tobacco is so much more flavourful and rich..

Anyone smoke pipes, and know the kind of flavour I'm talking about with Ruby?

I'm looking for a pipe tobacco that is similar if anyone can tell me one.
Savage Axis Stainless in .308
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Re: Pipe tobacco? (like Champion Ruby)

Post by Daddybang » 05 Aug 2017, 2:18 pm

Mate if ya want a nice pipe tobacco try Plumcake Navy Blend it's a rum based flavor that's rich and smooth :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 05 Aug 2017, 3:57 pm

I was always a fan of Erinmore Flake, but I suspect your Dr Pats has gotten old. Pipe tobacco, like cigars, if not kept in a humidor has limited lifespan after opening. Douwe Egberts Amphora Jamaican was also very good.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 05 Aug 2017, 4:59 pm

...or pipe 2.0

Buy or mix (I mix) any flavour you like.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Aug 2017, 5:43 pm

Following this. I've always had a fascination with the old fashioned tobacco pipe.
Just seems,proper,or something
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Robbie1007 » 05 Aug 2017, 8:01 pm

juststarting wrote:...or pipe 2.0

that got nicotine in it? mate of mine has one and said it was hard to get them with nicotine in it or someting
Robbie1007
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 05 Aug 2017, 8:13 pm

Robbie1007, yes, has nicotine.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 05 Aug 2017, 8:46 pm

Mate of mine has one of these and it smells like he is smoking shortbread.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 05 Aug 2017, 9:27 pm

It's a little weird in AU (and other countries). Basically, this (e-juice or e-liquid) is for human consumption, so it needs to be tested and certified. Since we are behind the curve on pretty much anything, you can't buy it here because it hasn't been tested and certified. Also it costs a lot of money to get certified, to a manufacturing company. USA just made it so too, but since the market there is a lot bigger companies making this either coughed up the funds to get certified or folded. Rightfully so. The other bit is nicotine, the government loves taxing things like that... Smokes, alcohol, etc. So until they figure this out - you can't buy it here.

Here's the weird part. You CAN buy it, legally, you are just not allowed to sell it here. See where this is going? So you can order anything from overseas, just not here, because f*** letting people build business, f***ing commies.

In my case, I don't trust most of them, so I purchased 1/2L of diluted nicotine... The rest of the components you can buy in Australia, so I top up on various flavours and other components locally and 1/2 of nic, well, I've been going for 2 years with that one and I am not half way through lol.

Re: smoking shortbread, yep - literally thousands of flavours... Right now I am vaping something called "freedom juice" - appropriately named, lol. Which is essentially fruity wine flavour + 3mg nic.

:) Pipe smoking 2.0 lol
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 05 Aug 2017, 10:30 pm

I had a mate who had a gizmo that looked like that but apparently his mix came from Afghanistan :roll:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by juststarting » 05 Aug 2017, 10:37 pm

They don't look similar, ROFL

:twisted:
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Aug 2017, 11:05 pm

Vaping is just weird ... so many nice smells though.

If I ever get a pipe I'm going full redneck.
images (25).jpg
images (25).jpg (5.67 KiB) Viewed 6837 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Aug 2017, 11:14 pm

Vaping 1.0
images (26).jpg
images (26).jpg (19.92 KiB) Viewed 6836 times

:lol:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Dunxy » 06 Aug 2017, 12:12 pm

I smoked a pipe for years but in the end the availability of suitable tobacco forced me to switch.
My favourite tobacco by a long shot is "Erinmore Flake"Comes in a little rectangular tin.My favourite pipe is a falcon.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by inventurkey » 06 Aug 2017, 8:11 pm

Daddybang wrote:Mate if ya want a nice pipe tobacco try Plumcake Navy Blend it's a rum based flavor that's rich and smooth :drinks:

Sounds worth a look :thumbsup:

No1Mk3 wrote:I was always a fan of Erinmore Flake, but I suspect your Dr Pats has gotten old. Pipe tobacco, like cigars, if not kept in a humidor has limited lifespan after opening. Douwe Egberts Amphora Jamaican was also very good.

I'll check out Erinmore too.

Shouldn't be an age issue for the Dr Pats. Only got it 3 weeks ago or so. New tin.

I dunno, just seems like nothing to my tastes? It actually smells great, it's like Christmas cake, really strong, rich, dried fruit smells That's smelling the fresh tobacco though, once it's burning it's just nothing :unknown:

It was described by the woman at the shop as 'stronger' so was a bit surprised.
Last edited by inventurkey on 06 Aug 2017, 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by inventurkey » 06 Aug 2017, 8:18 pm

Reading elsewhere has lead to another question... I see some guys sprits their pipe tobacco with whiskey, or brandy to add flavour.

Dry it a little, sprits with your spirit to re-hydrate then let it dry down a little again.

That could be a great way of getting flavours :D
Last edited by inventurkey on 06 Aug 2017, 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tikka Lite .22-250 Rem
inventurkey
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 06 Aug 2017, 8:31 pm

There's an online cigar shop with heaps of pipe tobacco too. Cigars.com.au, I think. I noticed a sample pack of 5 different tobaccos and anothe 'cherry' flavour. Might be worth checking out.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by VICHunter » 07 Aug 2017, 11:09 pm

That's Alexanders in Toorak here in Melbourne.

I've been, it's a pretty impressive store I've got to say.

It is in a pretty ritzy part of town is the only slight downside, as it's priced accordingly to that. From memory they do a few pipes there for a neat $900 lol.

But it's definitely worth a visit though if you like a smoke.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by WatchyShooter » 08 Aug 2017, 1:44 am

https://www.tobaccoblends.com.au/products/tobacco/ Is a good place, if you’ve got a smokemart or even a small servo, I made friends with one of the guys who also smoked and dealt with the tobacco reps, if they don’t stock something your after then can usually get it in
Firearm-less LAFO!
New shooter, guns to come soon!
WatchyShooter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 09 Aug 2017, 1:28 pm

inventurkey wrote:I see some guys sprits their pipe tobacco with whiskey, or brandy to add flavour.

Dry it a little, sprits with your spirit to re-hydrate then let it dry down a little again.

That could be a great way of getting flavours :D

Indeed they do mate.

You should give it a go, it's not hard and I think you'd be pleased with the result, especially if you're finding the Dr. Pats underwhelming.

You can infuse or soak it depending on subtle or intense you like the flavour.

A good way to infuse is to cut a section of paper towel to the size of your tin/bag, soak that in your flavour of choice, and seal it in with your tobacco. After a day or two you'll find the paper is basically dry with the spirit having been absorbed by the tobacco.

Personally I like a bold flavour, I've got a little recipe experiment in progress at the moment actually and have gone the full soak option for this one.

I like that port flavour/smell. I've done a 20ml of whiskey / 40ml of port mix this time for a whole tin of tobacco which was 60gr, I think.

Put the lot into a small jar so you've got enough room for everything to mix around and let it soak for a few days. 60ml was enough liquid to soak all the tobacco through and have a little extra rolling around the jar, without being wasteful.

After a few days spread the lot out thinly on a tray and let it dry.

Clean out your jar after soaking. Once the tobacco is dried to your liking, stick it back in the jar for storage and you're good to go. I use a canning jar with a rubber gasket for everything as I find this preserves the flavour best.

I'm using a Mr Brog no. 43 Kentucky pipe at the moment. I'm going to get myself one of their no. 14 Churchwarden next I think :)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by franc » 09 Aug 2017, 10:05 pm

Like the Gandalf pipe? Ha ha.
Remington 700. .308 Winchester.
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Gregg » 12 Aug 2017, 10:27 pm

Yep, Franc.

That's a Churchwarden.

I don't know how true this is supposedly the idea behind them was so that Churchwardens (obviously) could smoke at night while guarding the church without the ember and smoke ruining their night vision. No pipe directly in your face.

Lorgar wrote:I like that port flavour/smell. I've done a 20ml of whiskey / 40ml of port mix this time for a whole tin of tobacco which was 60gr, I think.

Sound like a potent mix mate. Any hint of tobacco left? :lol:
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 12 Aug 2017, 10:58 pm

It smells like Christmas pudding :D
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gunplumber » 12 May 2018, 5:23 pm

I like Erinmore Flake too. But it tends to be a touch wet straight out of the pouch. I give it a rub then let it sit for about half an hour. Very nice baccy though.
Gunplumber
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 12 May 2018, 6:20 pm

Just a question,the prices I've seen for a tin of pipe tobacco are outrageous ( in my eyes ? ) is there any reason one couldn't buy normal tobacco and spritz it with the flavour of their choice ?
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by southwest shooter » 12 May 2018, 6:21 pm

In Afghanistan we give the baccy a miss , just some green with the Johnny Cash with my mate Jack Daniels .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 12 May 2018, 7:19 pm

I buy vaping fluid from Mt Baker Vapor in the US, costs me $30 a month to feed the addiction rather than $280 a month with rollies.
Have not had a cigarette in 10 months and chest/throat much better.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Off topic - General conversation