Australian Arms Auction Oct 2017

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Australian Arms Auction Oct 2017

Post by yoshie » 03 Sep 2017, 2:14 pm

Anyone checked out the new Australian Arms Auction catalog? https://www.australianarmsauctions.com/ ... talogue-1/

I've got my eye of a few things.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Re: Australian Arms Auction Oct 2017

Post by No1Mk3 » 03 Sep 2017, 3:33 pm

Yes,they are the highlights of my year where I can find a new item for the collection or drool over items I could never afford. This auction has a couple of items that will have me stretching the bank, Again I expect to get something I really wanted, miss something I really wanted and buy something I never even thought of! Cheers,
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 03 Sep 2017, 4:19 pm

Few interesting bits... I am a bit confused though, I am guessing this is some sort of an online auction?

Price range included with every item is starting bid range or...?

How do you bid?
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 03 Sep 2017, 5:30 pm

It's a live aution held 2 times a year, but you can submit postal/online bid. Price is expected range. Their estimates are pretty close but a few are really well short. If you want to participate contact them and they'll send you all the information and forms, postal and online bids need to be in a week before the auction. I placed a bid on a nice rifle last year but was outbid buy $100.
Last edited by yoshie on 05 Sep 2017, 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by yoshie » 03 Sep 2017, 5:38 pm

I've only just got my collectors license, I'm looking to start my collection with a nice pre46 Browning pistol
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Sep 2017, 5:09 pm

Item 39. Crazy price. My mate bought one brand new in Carlton at ltharris for $115.00 in 1976. I paid $135 for my Marlin same day. Worth about $200 Max.

Don't know about the others.

30-30.jpg
30-30.jpg (67.48 KiB) Viewed 4226 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TBJ » 04 Sep 2017, 10:00 pm

a few of the Winchester's look good might have to put in a couple of bids just got to figure out which ones
Have: .17H .22LR .204R .222REM .223REM .22-250 .243WIN .270WIN .308WIN .300WM 7.62x39 30-06SPRG .303BRIT 30-30WIN 9.3x62 45-70GOVT 44RMAG 45LC 20GA 12GA .410GA
Want: .220SWIFT 6.5CREED .260REM .375H&H .416RIGBY .444MARLIN .458WIN 16GA 28GA
TBJ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 07 Oct 2017, 10:19 am

Anyone coming to the viewing? Say hi and all?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 07 Oct 2017, 10:34 am

I'm on my way,
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 07 Oct 2017, 10:39 am

No1Mk3 wrote:I'm on my way,

Say hi :) Easy to pick me, I look like a freaking baby, compared to everyone else here LOL - DM sent
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 08 Oct 2017, 8:34 am

Im eyeing a few things of.Pumps, Martini's, K98's, Swede's and the Snider.
Unfortunately a lot of what i like has been already bid up past its value, i think these people bidding forget that they must ad buyer premium and gst etc, which is about %28! Add %28 to the prices some of the items have bids at already and they are past the actual full retail price, people are silly.

The Mauser .22 is so tempting but i so dont need another .22 bolt action.

Edit:Spewing I didnt see this yesterday, i would have said hi! I was there for most of the arvo. Scruffy guy with walking stick flouro orange Buck hat.Im bidding online today as i cant make it.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 08 Oct 2017, 10:32 am

Heads up for anyone bidding online, PRE BID, ive lost 2 items that i could never bid on online that got passed in.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 08 Oct 2017, 11:37 am

Wow some people are stupid, just watched hammer fall on something for $1400($1900 after commissions..) worth maybe $1200
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 08 Oct 2017, 11:55 am

Hrmm, so I've missed out on everything. Though the prices were crazy. That said, Dunxy, people are not stupid. It's just worth more to someone else than you or me :)

Got to meet Santa though and received some guiding advice. That was nice.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 08 Oct 2017, 3:05 pm

juststarting wrote:Hrmm, so I've missed out on everything. Though the prices were crazy. That said, Dunxy, people are not stupid. It's just worth more to someone else than you or me :)

It is stupidity when you can buy same firearm from a retailer for less or private sale for less x 2! I suspect some will get a big fright when they get invoiced with the 28% on top!

Some stuff was ok, a lot was silly silly! I just got the Swede carbine i wanted, all matching 194* Husky. Opening bid, so not a total loss for me!

Awaiting contact to about a k98 nobody bid on that online system wouldn't let me bid live as well.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 08 Oct 2017, 8:14 pm

G'day Dunxy,
You are wrong about the charges, it is NOT 28%, it is 15% premium, + GST on the PREMIUM ONLY. ie; for your example, $1400 + 15% = $1610, GST on premium of $210 = $21, total price $1631. Every auction has buyers premiums, and anyone going to bid should be aware of them and factor the price in, Caveat Emptor. As for paying too much, depends on how you value things, I got a great Colombian Mauser with a good bore for $140, a Brazilian Mauser with good bore, a little shabby externally, for $200, a reasonable Siamese Mauser for $100, as well as a few other items for under $400. You have to know the auction system, know your market, and keep trying. Other auctions I have been happy paying $2000 for Colonial issue Sniders, and $300 for a Colt Python. Oh, I also bought a 91/30 for $140, turns out it was a Finn, in VGC.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 08 Oct 2017, 8:32 pm

I spoke to them on the phone this arvo and yes I was mistaken.
However its actually do charge extra surcharges online that add to it as well, next time i will just book my bids with them in a way where if certain items are won they wont bid on others on my behalf, thats what stopped me dropping proxys on everything i was willing to bid on for example because unfortunately i could afford all 30+ firearms!

There was some good deals like what you scored but a lot of stuff was bid way way over what it was worth! Was a few things I bid on that never received my bids because of the way they tried to run like a phone bidding system and it didn't work that sold for way less than i was willing to pay so I know it was not all bad! I know my prices,I don't impulse buy and dont fall into bidding fever!
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 08 Oct 2017, 9:13 pm

I think there were a lot of good deals, I was just there and after few very specific rifles... And something is as expensive or cheap, as people are willing to pay for it, so yeah, don't think people are stupid, I just think it was worth more to them than me. I missed out, but I could have kept bidding, I did my research and I knew exactly where I am going to stop based on worth, not my limits... Bit of discipline, I suppose, had to exercise that for my first auction :)

The Martini-Henries, I think were definitely over paid, but on the other hand they were not I suppose because people were paying for Australian memorabilia and to them it was worth more. I just want to make and shoot .577/450. FYI, if anyone has one to sell, let me know.

Browning Trambone, that was a bit of a spontaneous bid, but again, I don't think it was worth the bother, when the bidding alone went into $350. I am missing a pump action from my set of actions :) And I need one (yes, need!).

There's always next time with benefit of experience :) This was a trial run.

Also, No1Mk3 nice to meet you and thanks for the tips.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 09 Oct 2017, 12:08 pm

Henry do a pump......just sayin.....;)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2