Hunting knife

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Hunting knife

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Oct 2017, 6:41 pm

I looked at buying a new hunting knife and looked at one with a skin splitter hook on the back of it 8-)
apparently you nick the skin put the hook in and swipe it down and it cuts the skin without busting the gut in any way :D
I have seen them on adds but has anyone had any experience with one and are they as good as they say :unknown:

CHEERS
Member-Deleted

Re: Hunting knife

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Oct 2017, 7:53 pm

100_4523.JPG
100_4523.JPG (337.02 KiB) Viewed 2742 times
This is mine, (dirty after using it tonite)

I find it absolutely great.
Makes the job so much easier.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Oct 2017, 9:44 pm

Thanks boys I might dwell on it for awhile they wanted $126 for the one I looked at not cheap
Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 08 Oct 2017, 10:53 pm

grandadbushy wrote:Thanks boys I might dwell on it for awhile they wanted $126 for the one I looked at not cheap
Cheers

If your talking the same brand,,,,,,,,,,,, might I add that mine holds a bloody good edge for a long time.
So money well spent.

The hardest part about getting mine was the poor service at the point of sale.
It took over an hour to be able to hand over the cash, and walk out with the knife.
Firstly the woman behind the counter wasn't in the least bit interested in serving, and secondly when she did, couldn't find the sheath.
She went out to the store room to find it, and forgot to come back.

Finally one of the other staff came to the rescue and found the sheath directly under the shelf that the knife had been displayed on.

Moral of the story,,,,, Bigger stores aren't always better.

This little black duck has never been back to that store.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Oct 2017, 11:13 pm

Yeah DJ know the feeling I think her sister works in the shop up here ''lol''
Bad thing is we only got one shop here so I try and buy else where had too many stuff ups and long waits
Some were ordered and forgotten about , I ended up having to buy else where anyway to get them quicker
The nearest ones from this one are Rockhampton or Townsville 4-5hrs as the crow flies
Mate I 've got an OLD TIMER like that one except it hasn't got the hook
Are BUCK a common brand in Australia do you know looks good you had any problems with dulling of the cutting edge in the hook ?

Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Oct 2017, 5:41 am

Perhaps Gwion can help you out?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 09 Oct 2017, 10:32 am

When it comes to knives, I tend to the "buy once, cry once" school of thought, except I'm a bit of a nut and buy many ....

But I have the following that I highly recommend. I admit it's more than the standard $3.95 most want to spend here, but ...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BUCK-USA-ZIP ... SwZkNZv6Ss
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Oct 2017, 10:46 am

grandadbushy wrote:Mate I 've got an OLD TIMER like that one except it hasn't got the hook
Are BUCK a common brand in Australia do you know looks good you had any problems with dulling of the cutting edge in the hook ?

Cheers

That's more than I can tell ya Mate.
Mine is the only one I've seen, and only found that cos I was specifically after one with a gut hook.
Other than that, I don't bother looking at knives these days.

The hook hasn't lost its edge yet, and more often than not there is sand in the fur of what I dress.
The beauty of the hook is that a large percentage of the cutting action is actually from underneath the skin, and not cutting downward thru the sand/grit/and hair.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 09 Oct 2017, 11:52 am

I've got a Gerber with a gut hook that works exceptionally well
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 09 Oct 2017, 12:59 pm

I've looked at a couple on line they all look the same it would only be steel type where they would differ
I'll keep looking into it
Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Gwion » 17 Oct 2017, 3:38 pm

I have a Kershaw that has very little or no use (I've never used it and i don't think the mate who gave it to was likely to have, either). Maybe you could have that at a reasonable price.

Ive made some knives with gut hooks and they seem popular but after using them a bit i think either the 'two fingers in the cut' or a dedicated gut blade is the way to go. I meant to make a gut blade this einter but got caught up with other projects.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 17 Oct 2017, 4:18 pm

Thanks Gwion but I've ordered a Buck on line similar to Die Judicii's but do appreciate the offer
Cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by Gwion » 17 Oct 2017, 8:33 pm

No worries.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Return to Off topic - General conversation