so over muzzle brakes

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: so over muzzle brakes

Post by Geech » 10 Oct 2017, 2:35 pm

monbeg wrote:
Geech wrote:
monbeg wrote:Read something recently where someone did a few tests around muzzle brakes on and off a 308, only an average of 4 decibels louder with the brake but the blast when close is what makes it feel worse.

4dB louder means it's going to sound more than twice as loud as it did without the brake.....

Huh ?

According to the NRA:"Gunshot decibel levels, measured by John S. Odess, M.D., ranged between 143.5 from a .22 short to 174.4 from a .458 Win. Mag (American Rifleman, "Hear No Evil," March, 1996)."Subsonic "gallery" rounds can be as low as 90 decibels, but the average is 133 for all calibers as measured at certifiedreloader dotcom.

Sorry, I misinterpreted the old 3dB rule. A 3dB increase is double the sound intensity, but not quite double the perceived sound.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/0 ... ound-test/

A bit of light reading:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm
Geech
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 10 Oct 2017, 3:01 pm

Ok so it seems simple.. as many have said muzzle brakes over there non muzzle brakes over here! :unknown: :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Oct 2017, 7:26 pm

Daddybang wrote:Ok so it seems simple.. as many have said muzzle brakes over there non muzzle brakes over here! :unknown: :lol: :drinks:

Yep. Best option
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 11 Oct 2017, 7:27 am

Geech wrote:
monbeg wrote:
Geech wrote:
monbeg wrote:Read something recently where someone did a few tests around muzzle brakes on and off a 308, only an average of 4 decibels louder with the brake but the blast when close is what makes it feel worse.

4dB louder means it's going to sound more than twice as loud as it did without the brake.....

Huh ?

According to the NRA:"Gunshot decibel levels, measured by John S. Odess, M.D., ranged between 143.5 from a .22 short to 174.4 from a .458 Win. Mag (American Rifleman, "Hear No Evil," March, 1996)."Subsonic "gallery" rounds can be as low as 90 decibels, but the average is 133 for all calibers as measured at certifiedreloader dotcom.

Sorry, I misinterpreted the old 3dB rule. A 3dB increase is double the sound intensity, but not quite double the perceived sound.

http://precisionrifleblog.com/2015/08/0 ... ound-test/

A bit of light reading:

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-levelchange.htm

A Bell is a logarithmic scale of power in this case acoustic power.
A decibel or db is one tenth of a bell.
So 3 db is double the acoustic power. For everyday acoustic measurements a 3db level change is only just perceptible to somebody with normal hearing. A 10db level change is taken to be about double the 'loudness'.
The trouble is that accurate acoustic measurements of impulses, in this case the peak impulse of muzzle blast, is notoriously difficult.
I now know something and that is that I wish I wasn't so full of bravado (or is that full of s**t) when I was young and wore hearing protection. I would now have a lot more of my hearing left.
Even though I now wear plugs and whenever possible muffs as well, it's too late.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by BRNO_Bigot » 11 Oct 2017, 11:05 am

The big thing for me with brakes is the "smack" I get when the shot goes off. This makes it really difficult to concentrate when shooting, if you're going to get an overpressure wave (if that's the right description).

If I get to the range first, and someone turns up with a braked rifle, I would really rather he go sit near his friends who also have brakes.

If I get there after him and it's the only place available, then I have to decide whether to go home, or just shut up and take it - so basically what Brett said, but from the other side.
--
It's only when you look at an ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny
day that you realise how often they burst into flames.
BRNO_Bigot
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by marksman » 11 Oct 2017, 11:39 am

or as I did find a friendly farmer who has a decent and long lane way you can do all your testing and sighting in ect at
no problems with anything except your own ****** to worry about, after sighting in I can pick up some rabbits and foxes as well
I also save a heap of cash from no membership or entry fee's
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation