Elite Dimant Bayonet, Info Please ?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Elite Dimant Bayonet, Info Please ?

Post by darwindingo » 27 Oct 2017, 11:11 pm

Can anyone tell me anything about this weather beaten old thing ? I know its not in great condition, but I cant help but want to learn more about it....

IMG_20171027_205055.jpg
IMG_20171027_205055.jpg (421.24 KiB) Viewed 4383 times

It has some numbers on it,,, On the Ricasso it has Elite Dimant on one side and 5572 on the other side of the blade (assuming I read it correctly with the magnifying glass) Same No.. on the Metal sheath btw..

On the spine it has the No. 37 stamped into it... if that helps ?

Would really appreciate any info...? Tried drunken searching and looking at pics etc....., but it looks like several manufacturers made what appears to be the same thing :wtf: ? :? Its bloody gone and got me all curious !! 8-)

:drinks:

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Re: Elite Dimant Bayonet, Info Please ?

Post by Supaduke » 28 Oct 2017, 7:56 am

We need something like a bat signal for no.1 and his freakish knowledge base.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 28 Oct 2017, 3:30 pm

Freakish? OK, sorta fits. I have been collecting bayonets for as long as rifles, so this one I can help with. What you have, darwindingo, is a WW2 German bayonet, designation S84/98 III, for the Mauser K98k rifle. It was made by Elite Diamantwerke AG, of Siegmar-Schonau bei Chemnitz. The "37" on the spine is the year of manufacture, 1937. The serial number, 5572, should have a letter under it, but may not. The reason is bayonets were made in 10000 unit lots, with a letter for each block, if yours does not have a block letter under the serial then it was in the first 10000 made in that year. Having a matching scabbard is not that common, and increases the value considerably, in good condition around $250, After 1940, all German arms makers moved to a letter code ID, mostly 3 letter, such as asw for E&F Horster. Elite Diamant were very unusual in that they had a single letter code, i. Before the war the company made bicycles, including world championship winning models, and are still in business today making bicycles, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 28 Oct 2017, 4:07 pm

Wow thanks heaps, very interesting... I don't see any sign of a letter code on it, she isn't in the best condition but all I plan to do is keep it oiled to preserve it as it is. You have a mind boggling knowledge of this stuff, never cease to amaze ! :clap: :thumbsup:

You must have seen the signal :D

No1Mk3.JPG
No1Mk3.JPG (22.09 KiB) Viewed 4302 times

Thanks Again

Jeff

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Oct 2017, 6:20 pm

I have an old bayonet too. Might post that later in the week.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 28 Oct 2017, 6:24 pm

Oldbloke wrote:I have an old bayonet too. Might post that later in the week.

Back in the pants ob.!!! :drinks: :drinks: :lol:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 28 Oct 2017, 6:27 pm

Please do OB, would be rather interested to see it and find out about it...(EDIT Not the one in ya pants) :lol: . Wouldn't mind seeing No1Mk3's collection either...!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by darwindingo » 28 Oct 2017, 10:10 pm

sungazer wrote:amazing depth of historical knowledge there No1Mk3. I think you could start working on commission purchasing complete and historically significant rifle for people, rather than the pot luck a lot of us take with rifles of this era.

Hey sungazer :silent: Lets try and keep the education free ok :lol: :P ...

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Lorgar » 10 Nov 2017, 12:40 pm

I have one at home that looks damn near identical to that.

I'll dig it up tonight and see what markings I can find to maybe assist.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 10 Nov 2017, 9:41 pm

:drinks: Would be Interested to see what you have Lorgar :thumbsup:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Lorgar » 12 Nov 2017, 10:32 am

Here she be

bayonet.jpg
bayonet
bayonet.jpg (75.86 KiB) Viewed 4202 times

Mine has no numbers/stamps/marks on it as far as I can find.

Unfortunately I know virtually nothing about it's origins.

All I can say is it was inherited from my grandfather, and it would have been issued to him while serving in England during WWII.

You can't really tell from the pictures but sitting mine in the same position you photographed yours, it looks like the blade and scabbard of mine are about 3/4 of an inch longer.

The hook on the scabbard is different too. The sides of mine are straighter, it looks narrower and it doesn't have the little base of steel on the scabbard. Mine is a screw in, yours looks welded/cast?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Nov 2017, 4:46 pm

G'day Lorgar,
Spanish M1943, a close copy of the German bayonet, in fact many early M1943 are German bayonets with the markings scrubbed. The Spanish is generally of a slightly inferior quality. Your scabbard is the correct Spanish model for this bayonet. The scabbard darwindingo posted does have the spring retaining screw, but on the right side of the scabbard, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 12 Nov 2017, 6:18 pm

Interesting thx for posting it :D ... Its in considerably better condition than mine.

Blade length on mine is 255mm. No screw holding the hook to the scabbard on it, but I can see a pin on the inside of the scabbard that looks pressed so I'm assuming that's involved in holding it in place.

The other thing that looks different is yours doesn't appear to have this screw...

untitled.JPG
untitled.JPG (34 KiB) Viewed 4181 times

Sorry for the low quality pic :problem:

Hopefully we will be able to gain some more info on yours ;)

No1Mk3.JPG
No1Mk3.JPG (22.09 KiB) Viewed 4181 times

:D :drinks:

EDIT... I really need to learn not to get sidetracked part way through formulating a post and then come back and click post :lol: :lol: :oops:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Nov 2017, 8:55 pm

It is interesting to note that the spring retaining screw is only on the side of the WW2 scabbard, the German WW1 scabbard has the screw on the front, same as the Spanish does. In this way many of us collectors were tricked into paying high prices for Spanish scabbards, thinking they were WW1 German, when we were new and hadn't learnt the other differences. I got caught a couple of times with that one. Part of collecting is getting caught now and then. Recently jumped at what I was fairly sure was a German WW1 S98/05 Private Purchase Sawback, when I got it and unwrapped, YIKES! Paid a Grand for a $200 Turkish modified German Sawback.Oh well, we live and learn.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Tripod » 12 Nov 2017, 9:05 pm

I only have one bayonet and it is pretty easy to identify as it fits my Siamese Enfield and it has the Tiger head on it.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Nov 2017, 9:12 pm

Tripod wrote:I only have one bayonet and it is pretty easy to identify as it fits my Siamese Enfield and it has the Tiger head on it.

A bit of a give-away, that one. :D
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by sarki » 13 Nov 2017, 11:39 am

No1Mk3 wrote:The Spanish is generally of a slightly inferior quality.

I dunno about that.

Looks like it would do the job if you were on the receiving end :lol:
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation