Arms & Militaria Fair

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Arms & Militaria Fair

Post by juststarting » 29 Oct 2017, 11:11 pm

I was going to ask when the next Melbourne Arms & Militaria Fair is - when is it?

Also, I thought I'd be a good thread to list all of them, seems like there are a few around reasonably frequently. Begin :D
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: Arms & Militaria Fair

Post by Supaduke » 30 Oct 2017, 6:48 am

They are pretty much done in Victoria for 2017. Shows for.next year don't seem to be announced as yet.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 30 Oct 2017, 10:38 am

May be trip to Penrith is in order
Penrith Gun Show Dates For 2017
Dates for 2017 are

11th & 12th Feb

20th & 21st May

12th & 13th Aug

11th & 12th Nov
I like it when they post hey whole year
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by rsj223 » 30 Oct 2017, 6:47 pm

If your on FB follow Jeff
https://www.facebook.com/melbarmsfair/
I go to at least 2 per year.
rsj223
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 30 Oct 2017, 7:00 pm

Thanks all.

Be good to list all of them here...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 15 Nov 2017, 3:03 pm

Supaduke wrote:They are pretty much done in Victoria for 2017. Shows for.next year don't seem to be announced as yet.

I was looking the other week without luck too.

Waiting for the Shot Show to come around again.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Squiddy » 14 Apr 2018, 10:47 pm

Did anyone go to the one in Altona today? Its on tomorrow too....
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 14 Apr 2018, 11:07 pm

Yes. Very expensive, cost me a lot of money. Might go tomorrow, see if I can stuff up completely.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Apr 2018, 12:10 am

Yep, I went. Just picked up a few bits and pieces for hunting. No, I didn't add one to safe. But there was lots to see. Plenty of old rifles and stuff if your in to that.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 15 Apr 2018, 12:40 am

This was the first Military and Arms fair I've ever been to today. I must say I honestly thought it was terrible! $15 entry for what? If this is a representation of the local shooting community... Jesus Christ! I have a lot more to say about that but will refrain!
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 15 Apr 2018, 1:04 am

$15 to see first hand the Militaria collectors and other rifle and handgun shooters stock of saleable items. To inspect in person interesting arms prior to purchase, including some of the rarest military firearms in Australia and sometimes the world. Possibly the last shipment of new M48 & M48A Yugo Mausers that will ever come to this country and talk to people with more knowledge on Australian Militaria than you will ever see in your life. Glad you will refrain, it might cause Military buffs to respond, wouldn't want that!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Apr 2018, 2:49 am

Lady looking after stuff: can I help you?
Me: no, thank you.
Lady: are you sure, I have something...
Me: no thank you, I don't even shoot.
(little bit of hysterical laughter from spastics near me)
(then from nowhere)
Bentaz: he's actually from GCA, keeping an eye on things.
Lady: terrified look in poor dear's eyes.
Oldbloke: pretty sure he peed himself a little from laughing

About $15 - it's a privately organised function mate, it's not charity, sort of like how capitalism works. Don't like it, vote with your wallet. However, I'm not sure why you are complaining, since it's no different to admission fee (cheaper actually) to any other expo.

I also bought myself a new car alarm system:

(it's actually for my dad, but I thought this would be a cool alarm system)
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 15 Apr 2018, 11:07 pm

I went. Was one of the more expensive shows I've been too In a while. In some ways it's nice seeing rifles i own go up in "market value". It also annoys me when trying to buy new rifles. Majority of reasonable to good Milsurp rifles, now seem to be hitting a median of around $750, many nearer $1000. Any real collector pieces are thinning out and holding pretty good prices. Was one of the busier shows I have seen in a while. I tried to haggle down a nice condition Lithgow bayonet. Didn't buy it, for the sake of $20 I wish I had now. Still, for $15 it's a nice way to spend a few hours walking around, cheaper than a movie , unless of course you buy a gun ;).
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 15 Apr 2018, 11:11 pm

Supaduke wrote:I went. Was one of the more expensive shows I've been too In a while. In some ways it's nice seeing rifles i own go up in "market value". It also annoys me when trying to buy new rifles. Majority of reasonable to good Milsurp rifles, now seem to be hitting a median of around $750, many nearer $1000.

This! I just had a look at the military and auction catalogue too, holy crap, everything is really expensive. Not happy about any of it! I still need more guns!
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 16 Apr 2018, 12:50 am

I think expensive is relative. Yes, No1 and No4 rifles are dearer than a year ago, and Swedes certainly are increasing. K98k seem to be staying at a reasonable rate around inflation or a bit more. The 5 rifles I bought were all at very good prices, in fact I think the Vetterli was cheap at $1500, when I paid 3K for the Carbine 2 years ago. Gew 88 Commission Carbine at $300 was good value too, as for 12 Pattern 1907 bayonets at $85 each that was silly cheap. The auction is not dear until the hammer falls, last one I was buying some Nagants and Mausers less than $200 each, but another I missed at $2500, thats auctions. It seems from what many dealers I know are saying, demand for Enfields among younger, newer shooters, especially Lithgows, is pushing prices. Get in now, they aren't going to get cheaper. Also, as I posted above, there are virtually no more factory new Yugo Mausers in the former Yugoslavia, and those who have been there report that Finns have virtually dried up, so expect prices to reflect that over the next 12 to 24 months, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 16 Apr 2018, 11:49 am

juststarting wrote:Lady looking after stuff: can I help you?
Me: no, thank you.
Lady: are you sure, I have something...
Me: no thank you, I don't even shoot.
(little bit of hysterical laughter from spastics near me)
(then from nowhere)
Bentaz: he's actually from GCA, keeping an eye on things.
Lady: terrified look in poor dear's eyes.
Oldbloke: pretty sure he peed himself a little from laughing

About $15 - it's a privately organised function mate, it's not charity, sort of like how capitalism works. Don't like it, vote with your wallet. However, I'm not sure why you are complaining, since it's no different to admission fee (cheaper actually) to any other expo.

I also bought myself a new car alarm system:

(it's actually for my dad, but I thought this would be a cool alarm system)

I don't mind paying an entry fee, it was the amount.. I think $10 would be enough.. Shot show is only like $20 as an SSAA Member which is worlds above. I've been to hundreds of better privately organised events over the years that are cheaper and better. I'm sorry to say but that entry fee is overpriced. It's not the money, it's the principal, that was definitely a cash grab! They're not holding it at the Crown.. This is a pretty run down leisure centre. A lot of things were way overpriced, a lot of crap no one wants etc. You're right, cheaper than any other Expo.. But to call this an Expo is an insult to other Expos. This was a crappy trash and treasure with Firearms.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 16 Apr 2018, 12:24 pm

Justin9mm, agree with you... As a shooter and a hunter, but not as a collector. I've noticed that this is the norm for collectors. Just seems like people who collect firearms are willing to pay a lot more, including admission. And this is one of the very few events where you would find rare gems, not the Shot Show, so you need to look at it from that point of view.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 16 Apr 2018, 2:14 pm

juststarting wrote:Justin9mm, agree with you... As a shooter and a hunter, but not as a collector. I've noticed that this is the norm for collectors. Just seems like people who collect firearms are willing to pay a lot more, including admission. And this is one of the very few events where you would find rare gems, not the Shot Show, so you need to look at it from that point of view.

Yeah I get that.. There was some cool Military stuff and understand it is really for the collectors.

I just feel it could probably be run better. Could I do better? Maybe.. But I don't care to so I do respect the people that do for everyone else. That $15 entry figure just irked me. $10 would be the right price point. I was expecting a little more at that price.

Anyway, I'm sure most probably did enjoy it which is the main thing.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 16 Apr 2018, 2:18 pm

It's pretty cool, you find your trigger point. Is it at $10 or within $10? Like $10.99? Or $10 exclusive, like $9.99? Hehehe
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Squiddy » 16 Apr 2018, 3:11 pm

Eh - Saw a lot of Lithgows, some Yugo's, not much in the way of K98's. Someone had a bunch of Mosin's. Didn't really see anything that blew up my skirt.
Squiddy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by southwest shooter » 16 Apr 2018, 4:54 pm

Doesn't get me excited .
southwest shooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 16 Apr 2018, 9:04 pm

yeah, $10 would be better, free would be better still wouldn't it? how about the organizer actually pays you to attend? Or maybe you ask the venue owners not to increase the insurance cover to over $25 000 for the show, or ask security to reduce the $16 000 fee? Could you do better? Not in a million years
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 16 Apr 2018, 9:33 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:yeah, $10 would be better, free would be better still wouldn't it? how about the organizer actually pays you to attend? Or maybe you ask the venue owners not to increase the insurance cover to over $25 000 for the show, or ask security to reduce the $16 000 fee? Could you do better? Not in a million years

Well with your mentality and calculation.. Something like the Shot Show should increase to about $100 a ticket then no? Sounds like a fair deal for you!

I never mentioned free and wouldn't expect free. Also, don't throw incorrect numbers around, you have no idea what you're talking about. Trust me.
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Justin9mm » 16 Apr 2018, 9:34 pm

juststarting wrote:It's pretty cool, you find your trigger point. Is it at $10 or within $10? Like $10.99? Or $10 exclusive, like $9.99? Hehehe

$9.90 :sarcasm:
Justin9mm
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 17 Apr 2018, 8:38 pm

Australian Arms Auction is on in a couple weeks, catalogue has some good stuff, last years realised prices make it seem like good prices are achieveable.
Bigjobss

Return to Off topic - General conversation