An interesting offer to speak about shooting

Target shooting and range information. Competitive shooting, ranges, competitions, clubs and events. Free shooting targets.

Re: An Interesting Offer

Post by bladeracer » 14 Nov 2017, 11:17 am

Baronvonrort wrote:I would point out those with target shooting as a genuine reason cannot participate in bloodsports like hunting along with hunters not being able to participate in target shooting without adding target shooting as a genuine reason, I would ask if they consider it watering down our laws to allow hunters to participate in target shooting comps without having to add it as a genuine reason.

In Victoria "Target" allows hunting as well, even on public lands. It just doesn't allow hunting game - deer and duck.
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/retrievemedia.asp?media_id=77456
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 14 Nov 2017, 11:43 am

Could you bring the .50 in and plonk it on the table for show and tell? I'm sure the bank would be fine with it
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Daddybang » 14 Nov 2017, 12:16 pm

AusTac wrote:Could you bring the .50 in and plonk it on the table for show and tell? I'm sure the bank would be fine with it

Best talk ever!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 14 Nov 2017, 12:30 pm

Some excellent ideas and I appreciate the input.

Proposed Agenda (Draft)
Intro and my background in shooting
Quick run down on various types of firearms - Black powder, Shotgun, Rim fire, centre fire and hand guns (revolver / semi auto)
License types and how to obtain
Massive variety of competitions, Something for everyone, SASA, CASA, PRS, IPSC, BR, Military etc etc, Inclusive Sport, Junior training and development
Large percentage of new pistol club members are women >%20
Why I shoot - Challenging myself, technical aspects (ballistics of LR shooting), Social aspects, it's fun, Environmental benefits
Australia's international success in sport shooting - Olympic Gold, World Rimfire BR, BR, ISSF
Dispelling the myth - "Guns are dangerous",
Brief summary re-enforcing the safety, social and inclusive nature of the sport.
Questions

The target audience is 35-60yr old senior professional / technical types with little or no knowledge of firearms. I think there's only myself and 2 others in the team that shoot.

I'll fill in the points with a bit of detail, feral pigs impacting turtle numbers is great as it'll make people think. I'll mention the "Try Shooting" program at SSAA St Marys and have some info sheets to hand out to anyone interested. I did a doco some time ago about obtaining your Cat A & B license in NSW so I might refresh that and forward it onto interested persons.
I don't have the time to go into any great detail, just enough to touch on a few aspects and hopefully spark some interest that'll lead to people having a go. I'm deliberately avoiding the political aspect and will only just touch on the hunting / vermin control side.

How's this look so far?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 14 Nov 2017, 1:04 pm

Sounds good to me Brett.. :thumbsup:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 14 Nov 2017, 3:02 pm

I agree with the statement about avoiding the political/legal side of it beyond a brief overview of legal requirements. Avoid a political debate at all costs by briefly pointing out that a clean criminal history is required for licencing then simply treating the topic as any other mainstream sport.

Point out the variety of shooting sports available and its accessability to a broad segment of the community. And, as you say, keep it upbeat, fun and interesting.

Maybe finish by offering to organise a try it out session for anyone interested.

Also, maybe avoid letting on that you are possibly The biggest gun nut in Australia! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by marksman » 14 Nov 2017, 5:48 pm

maybe advise about how popular it is getting to have a firearms licence eg my area does 25 new applicants each week
it's not like little Johnie and the libs expected that there would be no firearms in civilian hands by the year 2000 the reason why they knocked gunsmith off the list of trades to be taught in Australia
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Nov 2017, 6:36 pm

bentaz wrote:Did your manager say what it is that they hope to get out of it?

That what's puzzles me too.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 14 Nov 2017, 7:09 pm

Many of these points are very good but farming and need in agriculture should be included as it is almost a necessity in farming, but agree splattering brains may get strange looks.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 14 Nov 2017, 8:27 pm

You work for a bank you discussing the most expensive hobby in the country after racing (any sort ) explain the cost and I do not just mean $$ time too.
Give them a spread sheet to read .
Roughly what an average expend would be NOT your own they may not believe that .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 14 Nov 2017, 8:37 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Reinforce the FACT that it is the safest sport going. If they want figures, get the statistics on sports injuries at hospital emergency rooms.
One of my chosen disciplines, metallic silhouette, is the perfect sport for "helicopter" parents. What other sport is there were mum or dad can stand right beside "little Johnnie" or "princess Susie" while they are "playing" their chosen sport. ( sorry for the use of outdated names there, just showing my age , nowadays it would be something more like Ellington or Justice :lol: )
We have whole families that "play" our sport, mum, dad and the kids, all in the same "game". I can't think of any other sport that is as safe and inclusive. ( there's a word they'll like )

Totally agree mate, in all the years we have been in RMS shooting I can't recall anybody being injured, have seen a lot of self inflicted hangovers but thats about it, mostly good times with good friends. These days I enjoy helping my young blokes as much as other friends kids that we have all known since they were babies, on another note some of the worst "kids " are a few adults usually led by a certain Tasmanian, think ya might know who,lol :allegedly: :sarcasm:

Anyway back on topic now Brett, shooting sports are not restricted to age, sex or disability, I don't know of too many other sports that are as inclusive and safe, reckon it would be worth mentioning if there are any anti's or non shooters who just don't know, you have a great opportunity to showcase our pastime :drinks: :drinks:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 Nov 2017, 11:30 am

sungazer wrote:In my club there is an old bloke that has made his own barrels even sold them. i saw one of them in use only a few weeks ago it shot as well as any custom high end barrel manufacture. I was very surprised

Has he got a rifling machine or does he do the rifling manually?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Nov 2017, 3:15 pm

Sungazer wrote: "It is a bit of a strange industry there doesnt seem to be any type testing or standards that have to be met by any manufactures or part manufactures" :huh:
Really? You've never heard of SAAMI? or C.I.P in Europe? (They have been proof testing firearms and ammunition since the 16th century.)
All small arms and ammunition manufacturers are held to very strict manufacturing standards and testing.

"In my club there is an old bloke that has made his own barrels even sold them. i saw one of them in use only a few weeks ago it shot as well as any custom high end barrel manufacture. I was very surprised"
Or, is he simply buying a rifled barrel blank and chambering, profiling and fitting?
Also, it is illegal in some Australian states to modify a firearm unless you are a licenced dealer or gunsmith.

I'd be staying well clear of a bunch of "old blokes" missing eyes from blowing up Omarks. :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 15 Nov 2017, 7:15 pm

Gwion wrote:
Also, maybe avoid letting on that you are possibly The biggest gun nut in Australia! :lol:

I always thought of him as a nut with the biggest gun :lol:
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 16 Nov 2017, 8:12 am

Gamerancher wrote:
I'd be staying well clear of a bunch of "old blokes" missing eyes from blowing up Omarks. :unknown:

:lol:
Me too!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wylie27 » 16 Nov 2017, 2:13 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:
Gwion wrote:

There has to be something.. met his wife.. cant be his looks or personality thats for sure :lol:
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 16 Nov 2017, 3:52 pm

Wylie27 wrote:
Baronvonrort wrote:
Gwion wrote:

There has to be something.. met his wife.. cant be his looks or personality thats for sure :lol:

Funny buggers, the lot of you :lol:
My closest colleagues in the office are aware of my passion for all things that go bang and my boss is a closet gun lover. I'm pushing him to get licensed so he can talk less and shoot more, ill pass him the forms to fill in after the presentation.

Yes, I could be considered nuts I guess as it comes from sitting on a pair of them each day. Old age is cruel that way :(

Wylie27 has met the Ukrainian Princess and she didn't marry me for my looks or personality. I think it had a lot to do with my ability to breathe through my ears :allegedly:

Presentation has been done and forwarded to management for review & approval. I took a bit from everyone that contributed to this thread and I appreciate the input even if I haven't thanked you by name. Let's hope the effort results in a better understanding of our sport and maybe some license applications :clap:
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 17 Nov 2017, 5:06 am

Good luck with it, Brett. Hope it goes well a nd you have fun with it.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Next

Return to Target shooting - Competitive shooting - Shooting ranges