Horses and firearms

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Horses and firearms

Post by Daddybang » 16 Nov 2017, 9:43 am

Following darwindingoes advice I'm starting this thread for horses! :lol: :drinks: any questions. ? :drinks:

20171116_093058.jpg
20171116_093058.jpg (808.36 KiB) Viewed 3527 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Horses and firearms

Post by wrenchman » 16 Nov 2017, 9:52 am

my dad had a tennessee walking on the farm in kentucky
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Daddybang » 16 Nov 2017, 9:58 am

wrenchman wrote:my dad had a tennessee walking on the farm in kentucky

A beautiful breed! Amazing to watch when they start to prance and get the high lift with their legs!!! :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 16 Nov 2017, 10:21 am

my dad had stoped rideing him and the young lady that lived down the road liked the horse so my dad gave him to her she still has him he looks better then he did when my dad had him
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Nov 2017, 1:01 pm

Daddybang wrote:Following darwindingoes advice I'm starting this thread for horses! :lol: :drinks: any questions. ?

Yeah,, why do I have to give myself a neck injury to look at em ??
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 16 Nov 2017, 1:46 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Following darwindingoes advice I'm starting this thread for horses! :lol: :drinks: any questions. ?

Yeah,, why do I have to give myself a neck injury to look at em ??

:lol: :lol: :unknown:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 16 Nov 2017, 7:20 pm

What would be the recommendation regarding the duration of each training session ?

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Nov 2017, 7:25 pm

I used to do about 1/2 hour but do 2-3 per day a horse will get frustrated pretty quick
Although they are very quick learners and sometimes stubborn
Member-Deleted

Post by Daddybang » 16 Nov 2017, 7:32 pm

darwindingo wrote:What would be the recommendation regarding the duration of each training session ?

If just starting out keep it short maybe five shots over the space of ten minutes. Follow up with say 15-20 minutes of handling and a bucket of food(molasses is always a favorite) Keep the rifle on ya back while handling. As ya advance ya can let more rounds go. Remember that ya won't really have a need to let off twenty or thirty rounds
at a time in the field. :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by darwindingo » 16 Nov 2017, 8:05 pm

Thanks GDB and DB..

The "keep the rifle on ya back while handling" is an interesting point.. I guess its not necessarily all about the sound, but also the introduction of a strange and unfamiliar object that also has the unfamiliar smell of burnt powder..

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Daddybang » 16 Nov 2017, 10:01 pm

darwindingo wrote:Thanks GDB and DB..

The "keep the rifle on ya back while handling" is an interesting point.. I guess its not necessarily all about the sound, but also the introduction of a strange and unfamiliar object that also has the unfamiliar smell of burnt powder..

Yeah that's right mate. Making the unfamiliar normal. I've seen horses that don't bat an eye when dogd go off at them yet a little plastic bag blowing across the ground will cause that same horse to spook badly. As granddad said they can be quick learners!!
:drinks: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Nov 2017, 10:50 pm

Years ago I had a horse on a station they used to call him Salvital like the drink for up set stomachs to get on him was like climbing onto a mine truck
that's how tall he was he was huge and a big clobber footed bloke
Well we used to use him for anything pigging ,shooting ,swimming I mean everything you could bring pigs home alive across his neck
but if you were riding him along loaded up and a little grass bird or quail moved in front of him he could shy side ways 3m in one stride
Leaving you sitting on your butt on the ground and him standing looking down at you boy could he cover ground when spooked and sideways
Every body on the station had at some stage been dumped by him yet he had never bucked even when he was broken in, beautiful natured horse
They used him to sort out all the new young know it all ringers dumped and the horse didn't even buck they usually kept their trap shut after that
Member-Deleted

Post by darwindingo » 16 Nov 2017, 11:42 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

They can be funny buggers... The horses too... :lol:

Some years ago, my missus and I lived on a horse stud in the hunter valley where she worked.. They had a horse there for ponying the yearlings in prep for the sales, he would tolerate biting striking, attempted mounting's etc.. (Don't tell anyone I said that though, they could get the wrong idea :problem: :lol: )..... But he had a bad habit to randomly shy at gate posts, If you didn't know he did it from time to time he could easily lure you into a false sense of security and leave you sitting in mid air... :lol: Lucky for me the missus warned me about him... ;)

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Daddybang » 17 Nov 2017, 7:10 am

grandadbushy wrote:Years ago I had a horse on a station they used to call him Salvital like the drink for up set stomachs to get on him was like climbing onto a mine truck
that's how tall he was he was huge and a big clobber footed bloke
Well we used to use him for anything pigging ,shooting ,swimming I mean everything you could bring pigs home alive across his neck
but if you were riding him along loaded up and a little grass bird or quail moved in front of him he could shy side ways 3m in one stride
Leaving you sitting on your butt on the ground and him standing looking down at you boy could he cover ground when spooked and sideways
Every body on the station had at some stage been dumped by him yet he had never bucked even when he was broken in, beautiful natured horse
They used him to sort out all the new young know it all ringers dumped and the horse didn't even buck they usually kept their trap shut after that

I had a 14 year old thorough bred that was like this. Calm and steady until it came to pigeons and then he'd put on the big sidestep. Left me on the ground on more than one occasion when I wasn't paying attention. :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bent Arrow » 17 Nov 2017, 8:24 am

Ahh the old side step....... Sat many a "good" rider on their butt. Me included
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Tripod » 17 Nov 2017, 9:28 am

Clicked on this thread thinking it would be about what calibres are suitable for horses. Moving on now.
Tripod
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Off topic - General conversation