Tanning skins

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Tanning skins

Post by Daddybang » 17 Nov 2017, 7:31 am

As some may remember a couple of months ago I had a little kid goat walk out of the bush that we ended up keeping. Last weekend it made the mistake of waking the missus up at two in the morning so that night we had kid for dinner!!! Anyway we fleshed and salted the hide and one of the ladies that works for my wife gave us some
Leidreiters tanning solution. Has anyone else used this? any tips or advice is appreciated!!

20171117_072134.jpg
20171117_072134.jpg (532.23 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Tanning skins

Post by Daddybang » 17 Nov 2017, 8:10 am

Thanks heaps sungazer :thumbsup:
Yeah she gave us the lube as well.
It's only a small skin so should I go closer to three days or is it a case of "it's ready when it's ready"? Thanks again :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 17 Nov 2017, 9:08 am

hair slip comes from the bacteria on the skin, your skin should not have slipped in the solution unless it was to weak and the bacteria could live,
if you salt it before tanning you need to re-hydrate the skin in plain water first before putting it in the solution,
you can freeze the skin till you are ready as well and must put skin to skin when wrapping it up as if you put skin on fur it will slip there
the skin is really just like food until it is tanned
but still very good advise on the tanning process and I will be trying the water pressure method on the salvage, it beats fleshing
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Monty » 17 Nov 2017, 1:41 pm

Daddybang wrote:Last weekend it made the mistake of waking the missus up at two in the morning so that night we had kid for dinner!!!

That's some tough parenting :lol:
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 17 Nov 2017, 4:26 pm

Thanks fellas it's a new experience for me so really appreciate the advice!! :drinks: :drinks:

Monty wrote:
Daddybang wrote:Last weekend it made the mistake of waking the missus up at two in the morning so that night we had kid for dinner!!!

That's some tough parenting :lol:

Yeah mate the missus is only small but she's mean!! :drinks: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 18 Nov 2017, 4:19 pm

I did a lot of goat and kangaroo skins by salting heavy straight away then 24 hrs later salt again then fold so its flesh side to flesh side,After a week when you unfold the skin the fat and meat will peel off quite easy then I made a mixture of kerosine and baking soda which cost zip and pasted it on then folded again.After another week scrape the paste of and wash in a tub or machine and you have a nice skin with the blue colour just like the real deal.All leather treatments work well like dubbin or boot polish to maintain the supplness
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Daddybang » 30 Nov 2017, 8:08 am

First attempt has come out good.. no slip so just got to trim it!! :thumbsup: thanks for all the advice :drinks:

20171129_111724.jpg
20171129_111724.jpg (865.4 KiB) Viewed 5374 times
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 30 Nov 2017, 9:30 am

really nice skin, good job daddybang :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 01 Dec 2017, 9:07 pm

Good job DB...!

You've Inspired me...i leave too many good goat skins...going to carry some salt with me next time...!!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 01 Dec 2017, 9:21 pm

I'm after 4-6 cat skins and happy to pay if they're tanned and ready to use but must be near perfect and with tail. I'm looking to make a Daniel Boone style hat to wear to PETA meetings during winter :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Baitlayer » 02 Dec 2017, 1:24 pm

+1 on the baking soda/ kerosene mix. Did several cat skins whilst living in Tassie.Make great trout flies!
Ian
Baitlayer
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Stix » 02 Dec 2017, 7:43 pm

brett1868 wrote:I'm after 4-6 cat skins and happy to pay if they're tanned and ready to use but must be near perfect and with tail. I'm looking to make a Daniel Boone style hat to wear to PETA meetings during winter :)

I know of a guy in SA that may have that many cat skins ready to go...not sure about price or tail.
Im happy to ask if you want--but it wont be until this coming Friday...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 03 Dec 2017, 7:42 am

Hey fellas what's the "recipe" for the kero/baking soda mix? :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 03 Dec 2017, 2:19 pm

you just make a paste and work it in the blue in the kero blues the skin
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Dec 2017, 4:15 pm

Allum and salt is another cheap and easy recipe
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 03 Dec 2017, 7:20 pm

Stix wrote:
brett1868 wrote:I'm after 4-6 cat skins and happy to pay if they're tanned and ready to use but must be near perfect and with tail. I'm looking to make a Daniel Boone style hat to wear to PETA meetings during winter :)

I know of a guy in SA that may have that many cat skins ready to go...not sure about price or tail.
Im happy to ask if you want--but it wont be until this coming Friday...

If you can ask and let me know I'd appreciate it :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 03 Dec 2017, 7:59 pm

No worries, will do...ill let you know as soon as i get hold of him.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 04 Dec 2017, 8:19 am

Oldbloke wrote:Allum and salt is another cheap and easy recipe

Thanks ob I'll have to try it as well. :thumbsup: :drinks:

duncan61 wrote:you just make a paste and work it in the blue in the kero blues the skin

Do ya get any slip with the paste (I'm assuming ya only put the paste on the flesh side) will have to try this one as well ( I enjoy experimentation) :thumbsup:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Dec 2017, 11:10 am

The alum&salt recipe has been around a long time but I'm yet to try it myself. The alum is available when you buy swimming pool chemicals. Do you want the recipe?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 04 Dec 2017, 12:09 pm

Oldbloke wrote:The alum&salt recipe has been around a long time but I'm yet to try it myself. The alum is available when you buy swimming pool chemicals. Do you want the recipe?

Yeah ob that would be great thanks :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 04 Dec 2017, 3:53 pm

Oldbloke wrote:The alum&salt recipe has been around a long time but I'm yet to try it myself. The alum is available when you buy swimming pool chemicals. Do you want the recipe?

s**t yes :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Dec 2017, 5:34 pm

Salt-Alum Tanning
Dissolve 1 pound of alum in a wooden or plastic container that is holding 1 gallon of warm, soft water. Dissolve 2½ pounds of salt in a second similar container that is holding 4 gallons of water. Pour the salt solution slowly into the alum solution, stirring constantly. Let cool. Make this solution the same day you begin the tanning process. Soak for 4 days stirring occasionally.

I have never tried this but would appreciate any info from anyone who has, Its easy to find on the net if you search for it.
Alum is commonly used in swimming pools & is cheap and fairly safe to handle.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 04 Dec 2017, 6:45 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Salt-Alum Tanning
Dissolve 1 pound of alum in a wooden or plastic container that is holding 1 gallon of warm, soft water. Dissolve 2½ pounds of salt in a second similar container that is holding 4 gallons of water. Pour the salt solution slowly into the alum solution, stirring constantly. Let cool. Make this solution the same day you begin the tanning process. Soak for 4 days stirring occasionally.

I have never tried this but would appreciate any info from anyone who has, Its easy to find on the net if you search for it.
Alum is commonly used in swimming pools & is cheap and fairly safe to handle.

Thanks ob :thumbsup: :drinks:
Now I'll have to go shoot something to try it out!!! :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation