Home Security - Camera vs Alarm System

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Home Security - Camera vs Alarm System

Post by doc » 25 Nov 2017, 2:33 pm

I know that 'both' is the optimum answer, but if someone can only afford to put one in, which do you think would be the better, and why?
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Re: Home Security - Camera vs Alarm System

Post by Daddybang » 25 Nov 2017, 2:37 pm

Tricky one!! Alarms are good for stopping the action of scum whereas cameras help to catch tuem after the fact. Personally I believe prevention to be better than cure. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by andreweden » 25 Nov 2017, 10:32 pm

what did you do last time you heard an alarm going off in your neighbourhood? That's right, nothing, you mutter something about "wish they would turn that off", but its not like you called the cops or went to investigate. Alarms are useless. At least cameras are a deterrent when your neighbours don't have them.
andreweden
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 25 Nov 2017, 11:07 pm

At my placee there's no one to hear you scream... i mean, hear the alarm! :lol:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by darwindingo » 25 Nov 2017, 11:18 pm

Gwion wrote:At my placee there's no one to hear you scream... i mean, hear the alarm! :lol:

Sure you do mate ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

This camera vs alarms thing is a slippery slope.... Cameras don't always see everything either, I mean they don't do much when the pos is wearing a hoodie or balaclava etc..

:drinks:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by juststarting » 25 Nov 2017, 11:49 pm

andreweden wrote:what did you do last time you heard an alarm going off in your neighbourhood? That's right, nothing, you mutter something about "wish they would turn that off", but its not like you called the cops or went to investigate. Alarms are useless. At least cameras are a deterrent when your neighbours don't have them.

This is a really bad advice.

There are two types of 'bad guy'. Opportunistic and determined. The opportunistic will not enter the property if there is a deterrent outside. This could be a sticker, a siren or a camera. Hence the opportunistic, the opportunity is not presenting it self. Although, a baseball cap or a t-shirt over ones face will present an opportunity if there's a camera.

Then there is the determined types. They are split into a few categories. Either way, they will investigate and suss out the property before hand. A camera is easily bypassed with a mask, it is not a security control, it's not even a deterrent. It's sort of a feel good thing, to say you have a photo and maybe cops will know who it is, but by then your stuff is gone for ever.

An alarm or rather a network of well positioned PIR sensors are much harder to bypass. They run off batteries and have backup power, so there is no single point of failure outside of the property. Even if someone doesn't hear the siren or act on it, you should have a back to base monitoring. either SMS to you or to monitoring company. Then, 'hello, 000, I have guns and intruders in my home' will be taken pretty freaking serious. Camera, is more 'I used to have intruders and guns at home', lol.

Of course, then you have the 'determined and persistent'. This is either a home invasion; or someone who knows their way around alarm systems; or safes (to be quick). Cut phone lines, jam mobile signal, etc. All doable, reasonably easy.

An alarm is there to protect you against 90% of stuff, that's the middle layer. The other 10% - last paragraph, there's not much you can do there. Unless! You want to build a prison. You'd have to ask yourself what your s**t is worth vs advanced security system cost vs insurance cost and make a decision, at the end of the day it's material stuff and money, so it's easy to calculate. You'd generally find that you alarm and insurance does pretty well.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Zarrs » 26 Nov 2017, 12:07 am

A mate of mine spent around 1k on cameras for his house, he would always talk about how they had nigh vision and how good they were. Any way one night he got robbed they just walked up the drive way with face masks and tilted the cameras towards the sky.

In saying that I have both I have some cheap cameras i got off ebay for around $200 they use them in servos and stuff like that. You can sync it to your phone so you can always see whats going on.
And with the house alarm its not monitored but it sends me a sms if they go off, durring which i can check the cameras and call the cops if I need to.
Zarrs
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 26 Nov 2017, 12:33 am

Personally I would go with SMS to you over back to base monitoring JS, If the monitoring company has security patrols and they have to attend to an alarm response they will usually charge you a response fee and may take some time to attend, the fee will be their priority and probably only involve the police if and when they attend they find forced entry has occurred...

But, if you get the SMS and call the police and explain the situation ( multiple sector alarm guns on premises), not only will you not have to pay a response fee, but they will quite likely respond in a far more timely and effective manner..

Just my thoughts and experiences... Btw.. I put in a few years as the operations manager of a security company, some years ago... ;)

:drinks:
Last edited by darwindingo on 26 Nov 2017, 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by juststarting » 26 Nov 2017, 12:44 am

Heh, am with you on this. Which sectors are triggering, status updates like backup battery life, which turrets are running low on 30mm cart..., no ignore that. Yes, I am a fan of SMS. I just included back to base, because that's an option. Say guns and robbery and you are going to have a response. Like that joke...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 26 Nov 2017, 12:52 am

Hehehe...Best bet is to get the SMS and get ya but home as quick as ya can though..... Because nobody cares as much about the welfare of your guns as you do... Well apart form ya fellow Enough Guninions :thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Gwion » 26 Nov 2017, 6:30 am

In all seriousness, though. What do you do it your nearest neighbour is nearly 1km away, obscured by hills and trees and you are in a notorioysly unreliable mobile service area?
:unknown:

I've been trying to figure this oit for some time as i need to step up security for non-gun related business insurance purposes and govt compliance....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by doc » 26 Nov 2017, 8:18 am

Thanks for all the replies guys. I didn't have to read them all - got to this and that was enough:

bentaz wrote:Alarm, coz then you can have more than 15 guns!
:lol:

Juststarting - you're right - you can't protect 100%. If some organised crime person is going to be interested in my property - there's little I could do. It's the other 99% that I'm considering.

Camera's could be a deterrent for opportunists but as mentioned - they're easy to get past by covering one's face.

Additionally - I was wondering - if someone is brain-damaged by drugs, are they even going to notice a camera? I'm guessing a siren might be enough to get them to hightale out of there in that instance.

I really like the idea of SMSing me and then me calling the cops with 'Guns on the premises'. That's quite clever and bound to get more of a reaction. However that requires me to have my phone with me and turned on at all times (and be in mobile range). Maybe I can get some friends on board with me that can receive the SMS messages as well to help out if I'm not around - I dunno...

Gwion wrote:In all seriousness, though. What do you do it your nearest neighbour is nearly 1km away, obscured by hills and trees and you are in a notorioysly unreliable mobile service area?

Do you have NBN in the area? (Satellite even?) Could that be an option as opposed to mobile phone networks? Are their alarm systems that use local / internet network connections as opposed to mobile networks that could be used for this purpose?

Or could an external antenna, or 'repeater' for mobile networks (I think Telstra have some) be of any help?
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Gwion » 26 Nov 2017, 10:09 am

Yep. A repeater might be the go.
Relying on internet is not a bad idea until tbey just cut your hard wire in.....

Satellite internet sucks arse in cloudy weather and this is Tas, so....
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by juststarting » 26 Nov 2017, 11:16 am

Gwion, you could have a PIR sensor hooked up to a relay, that would toggle a momentary swith and unlock the cage... Or cut current to electromagnet or something... Send out the ravens. Bwahahahahha. Have one per sensor, so you know what's triggering. Though, they may arrive out of order. Still...
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Nov 2017, 11:33 am

Gwion wrote:In all seriousness, though. What do you do it your nearest neighbour is nearly 1km away, obscured by hills and trees and you are in a notorioysly unreliable mobile service area?

I've been trying to figure this oit for some time as i need to step up security for non-gun related business insurance purposes and govt compliance....

We're in a similar situation, all our neighbours work in town and do their farm work after hours, and at night. Even if they were home I'd be surprised if they noticed the alarm. Due to our lovely weather many homes are double-glazed, so once the doors and windows are closed there's no way for noise to get in. It's like being trapped in a modern car.

I went with both, the alarm system is wireless and can send us messages to our phones when triggered via our wireless NBN. The cameras are a separate system, also wireless and if we get an alarm message we can view them via our phones to see what is going on.

I think the most effective way to protect my firearms is to make the room untenable for a thief to tolerate hanging around. The best would be a smoke system that floods the room with dense smoke, combined with strobe and siren. But smoke is a couple grand alone - maybe one day though.

I looked long and hard at how I would go about getting around whatever alarms might be in place. Avoiding door and window sensors is not too difficult (it is very easy to gain entry through a tiled or steel roof), but two motion sensors covering each other inside a room make it very difficult to paint one without triggering the second. And wireless movement sensors (or tremblers) are cheap and can be stuck anywhere, on the TV (if you have one), inside the fridge door, anything an intruder might take a look at.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 26 Nov 2017, 12:06 pm

I trip my alarm all the time, I have never had anyone ask is everything ok, I'm in the middle of suburbia :unknown:
make sure you have good insurance :thumbsup:
and it is good to be able to own more than 15 firearms :lol:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 26 Nov 2017, 12:27 pm

juststarting wrote:Gwion, you could have a PIR sensor hooked up to a relay, that would toggle a momentary swith and unlock the cage... Or cut current to electromagnet or something... Send out the ravens. Bwahahahahha. Have one per sensor, so you know what's triggering. Though, they may arrive out of order. Still...

Hahaha... the birds... the birds!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by cracker » 07 Dec 2017, 12:31 pm

marksman wrote:I trip my alarm all the time, I have never had anyone ask is everything ok, I'm in the middle of suburbia :unknown:
make sure you have good insurance :thumbsup:
and it is good to be able to own more than 15 firearms :lol:

basically all you have to do is have an alarm installed where the firm arms are stored and it just needs to comply to the code.
at 14 firearms atm and am going for my pistol and collectors licneses.
doesnt need to be monintered ?

- If more than 15 firearms are stored on the
premises where the firearm is stored, the premises
must be fitted with an intruder alarm system—
(a) the installation, maintenance and operation
of which complies with Australian Standard
2201.1:2007 (as amended from time to time);
and
(b) which, in the event of an intrusion, activates
an audible alarm warning device and an
external visible alarm warning light.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 07 Dec 2017, 12:36 pm

Yes, operational alarm system. Most of us go above and beyond though. I already have sharks and lasers. Just waiting for council approval to dig a moat.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 07 Dec 2017, 1:56 pm

cracker wrote:basically all you have to do is have an alarm installed where the firm arms are stored and it just needs to comply to the code.
at 14 firearms atm and am going for my pistol and collectors licneses.
doesnt need to be monintered ?

- If more than 15 firearms are stored on the
premises where the firearm is stored, the premises
must be fitted with an intruder alarm system—
(a) the installation, maintenance and operation
of which complies with Australian Standard
2201.1:2007 (as amended from time to time);
and
(b) which, in the event of an intrusion, activates
an audible alarm warning device and an
external visible alarm warning light.

Doesn't need to be monitored for A/B.
Check the storage requirements for a Collector's Licence, I have a vague idea they were a little more stringent than A/B?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 07 Dec 2017, 11:45 pm

I went with a monitored alarm 4G told the company if it goes look at video make a decision re: intruder if no threat ( I have left the garage door open and turned alarm on in the past ) ring me/ then Mrs if no answer ring cops firearms stored on site . In NSW you don,t need an alarm I just feel better with it
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation