New EDC Knife

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

New EDC Knife

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 16 Dec 2017, 4:27 pm

Hey guys, looking for a new "EDC" knife, I was looking at the kershaw blur but I would like more of an assisted type knife with the small section on the back of the blade to use my forefinger to open it. The Kislyar supreme Zorg caught my eye, both this and the Kershaw knives are decently priced.

Anyway, my main need is useability and reliability, so maybe a benchmade or similar, but not to pricey (300 dollar absolute limit, preferably about 150)

Anybody got any recommendations? It needs to be of a higher quality with a durable, edge-holding blade, as well as be comfortable.
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: New EDC Knife

Post by Wombat » 16 Dec 2017, 9:33 pm

I normally have a Walther rescue knife on me when working. Opens easily and works well. Has a strap cutter built in too, a consideration if you have to work with harnesses. Cost just over $100 from memory. Heavy thing though.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by albat » 16 Dec 2017, 9:36 pm

My "edc" knife sits on my key ring and costs 12 bucks :thumbsup:
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hoot » 21 Dec 2017, 8:20 pm

I used to carry an Esee Avispa but I lost that down a bore hole under a windmill.. moral of the story, if you don't know knots tie lots.

Since then I've been carrying a Spyderco Paramilitary 2, cost about $220 and has been a brilliant knife but I tend to baby it a bit given the cost, extremely sharp but not quite as durable as the Avispa. I'd buy another of either to be honest.
Hoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 21 Dec 2017, 8:27 pm

Been carrying a gerber eab latelly, uses stanley knife blades so i can destroy it and no give a single F, apart from that, i'll always be a leatherman guy, love my opinels too probably own at least 100 knives haha..spyderco are nice too, but look scary to some peeps
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Hoot » 21 Dec 2017, 8:43 pm

AusTac wrote:Been carrying a gerber eab latelly, uses stanley knife blades so i can destroy it and no give a single F, apart from that, i'll always be a leatherman guy, love my opinels too probably own at least 100 knives haha..spyderco are nice too, but look scary to some peeps

I get that a lot with the PM2.. "can I borrow your knife? why do you carry one anyway?" :roll: the girls from my office generally use my knife more often than I do. I've got an Opinel #8 too, good little knife that lives in my fishing kit, I get too delicate about things that cost too much and get worried they'll get damaged/lost. No-one cares if you lose an Opinel, but no-one wants to lose a $200+ knife!

Also keep a Leatherman OHT in my bag too, great little piece of gear since I'm usually half committed to something before I realise I need pliers, but not convenient for carrying around in a pocket.
Hoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Dec 2017, 8:43 pm

I had to Google "EDC" every day carry... acronyms... :roll:

I've got 2 that I alternate. At work I carry a Leatherman and every other day I carry a genuine usa made old timer ot96 ... not one of those new stainless knock-offs

images.jpg
images.jpg (14.04 KiB) Viewed 4604 times

unnamed.jpg
unnamed.jpg (11.67 KiB) Viewed 4604 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Hoot » 21 Dec 2017, 8:53 pm

I've read a bit about the supposed quality difference between the old USA made Old Timers and what you can buy now, I never had one of the originals but I do have a small Old timer i bought earlier this year when I realised I didn't have an EDC option for 'nice dress'. It was overpriced, I think I paid about $65AUD and the same product is about $15 in the USA.. but it's not a bad little knife to be honest, keeps a good edge, but I don't trust slipjoint knives after just about cutting my index finger in half.

Okay in all fairness I was using the knife as a screwdriver, but that's not the point..
Hoot
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 22 Dec 2017, 6:55 am

Hoot wrote:
AusTac wrote:Been carrying a gerber eab latelly, uses stanley knife blades so i can destroy it and no give a single F, apart from that, i'll always be a leatherman guy, love my opinels too probably own at least 100 knives haha..spyderco are nice too, but look scary to some peeps

I get that a lot with the PM2.. "can I borrow your knife? why do you carry one anyway?" :roll: the girls from my office generally use my knife more often than I do. I've got an Opinel #8 too, good little knife that lives in my fishing kit, I get too delicate about things that cost too much and get worried they'll get damaged/lost. No-one cares if you lose an Opinel, but no-one wants to lose a $200+ knife!

Also keep a Leatherman OHT in my bag too, great little piece of gear since I'm usually half committed to something before I realise I need pliers, but not convenient for carrying around in a pocket.

A bit like that hey It's usually goes like " dude wtf.. you carry a knife? * weird looks * ( 5 minutes later ) hey man can i borrow your knife please? :lol:
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 22 Dec 2017, 3:26 pm

Hoot wrote:I've read a bit about the supposed quality difference between the old USA made Old Timers and what you can buy now, I never had one of the originals but I do have a small Old timer i bought earlier this year when I realised I didn't have an EDC option for 'nice dress'. It was overpriced, I think I paid about $65AUD and the same product is about $15 in the USA.. but it's not a bad little knife to be honest, keeps a good edge, but I don't trust slipjoint knives after just about cutting my index finger in half.

Okay in all fairness I was using the knife as a screwdriver, but that's not the point..

I had an old timer as a kid and still sad i lost it. I have sold Schrade knives since so have handled a few and can say i like their old stuff better than their new stuff.

I have a nice Benchmade that i have been bebying for a year and has just started to see some more abusive work. The edge has only ever needed a pass or two over the syeel or diamond hone so far. My last Benchmade lasted me 20 years and is now my wife's knife to carry around the property, albeit a bit beaten up and crudely repaired, it is still a perfectly functional knife with a very tough blade and durably sharp edge.

As for multitools. Having had a few, sold a heap and used numerous friends', i have to say that my old SOG was the best i've ever seen or used and the only brand i have not seen fail (i have a habbit of testing things to failure). If someone picked it up after i dropped it somewhere on Sheepyard Flats (Howqua), they got a good score!

When it comes to knives, quality lasts.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Daddybang » 22 Dec 2017, 3:47 pm

I don't leave home without this!! Bought in Switzerland when my mum and dad went ten years ago so I don't know what it cost!! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:

20171222_153934.jpg
20171222_153934.jpg (512.42 KiB) Viewed 4570 times
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 22 Dec 2017, 3:51 pm

Yep... had one of tbose too. Also loved it. Also lost it on a river bank; the Buckland this time, i think... or maybe it was the other way around..... :unknown:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gamerancher » 23 Dec 2017, 10:21 am

I've had a bunch of multi-tools, early Leatherman, Gerber, SOG.
As a EDC I reckon they are a handy thing. The one I've been most impressed with is a Victorinox one that was gifted to me by a mate. It is similar to the one in the link below only black stainless. They are issued to certain Aussie troops, (don't ask, don't tell), and it's a cracker. I had it constantly with me while working in an underground mine and the work and abuse I put it through was, I reckon, well beyond that which it was intended for. The cutting blades are very good and hold an edge really well. I've cut up 40mm thick conveyor belting with it with ease. Unlike some of the other brands I've had, the pliers work very well and will actually cut wire without the destroying the jaws. It is quite compact to carry and due to it being a multi-tool, gets around the "no knives" rule that a lot of places have.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/SWISS-TOOL- ... Sw9gRaBUEz
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SomeoneElse » 23 Dec 2017, 6:45 pm

Leatherman Skeletool CX. A multi-tool is a traditional farewell gift from a former employer, and I was allowed to choose whatever model I wanted. I like the minimalist approach with tool options in this model - a decent lock bar blade, pliers and some basic screwdrivers.

SomeoneElse.

YL830958.jpg
YL830958.jpg (85.04 KiB) Viewed 4529 times
SomeoneElse
Recruit
Recruit

-

Post by AusTac » 23 Dec 2017, 8:17 pm

So while its picture time, i've only been a gun guy for about 3 years, but had a knife in my hand of some sort since i was about 9, over the years i guess you could say i've collected a few :)

The stuff out of the box is what i've found works for various duties for me
Attachments
rps20171223_211456.jpg
rps20171223_211456.jpg (192.44 KiB) Viewed 4525 times
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Pythonkeeper » 24 Dec 2017, 7:56 am

I bought a Cold Steel Pro lite clip point for a mate, very nice knife fo $40, easy to sharpen (shave sharp), nice and lite to carry in the pocket. This knife would be excellent EDC, low cost and good quality for the $$$.
My personal knife is a Cold Steel Ultimate Hunter, it's a great knife but noticeably heavier than the above mentioned and takes allot longer to sharpen due to harder grade steel, also 4 times the price. I only use this knife to carry on the hunt really.
For EDC I've got a Gerber Centre Drive multi, it's comes in handy and gets used often.
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 24 Dec 2017, 11:16 am

Just noticed that my long time EDC that has done a lot of work from dehorning calves to opening paint tins. I bought it in the US so I could justify it as a memento not real expensive from memory about $100. I thought it was an Uncle Henry Buck knife it is in fact Schrade, the Uncle Henry is just the model.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Dec 2017, 12:03 pm

Hoot wrote:I've read a bit about the supposed quality difference between the old USA made Old Timers and what you can buy now, I never had one of the originals but I do have a small Old timer i bought earlier this year when I realised I didn't have an EDC option for 'nice dress'. It was overpriced, I think I paid about $65AUD and the same product is about $15 in the USA.. but it's not a bad little knife to be honest, keeps a good edge, but I don't trust slipjoint knives after just about cutting my index finger in half.

I have bought a new old timer so I could replace the tweezers in my old - old timer.
Eventually I found my original tweezers down the back of the couch.

The new old timer is actually reasonably well made, I probably shouldn't rubbish it. The main difference is that the new one is made from stainless and the old one is high carbon steel.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 25 Dec 2017, 7:09 am

The old ones were made in U.S.A, the new ones are Chinese.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 25 Dec 2017, 11:09 pm

Ended up getting a Benchmade Axis Flipper for christmas (SCORE, although I planned on lay-by ing one next week anyway) and I'm now looking at a leatherman MUT or OHT-EOD for my backpack and/or car.
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation