Roo Stew

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Roo Stew

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 09 Feb 2018, 11:09 pm

Looking for a recipe or idea for kangaroo other than just steaks with garlic mash. Kinda wanting to do a stew type thing with:

- Roo steaks cut into chunks, slivers, or left whole
- Bush tomatoes or small cherry tomatoes
- Swiss (small brown) mushrooms
- Onion
- Spuds (8ths)
- Few chillies

Basically put all the above in the electric frying pan at an appropriate time, I guess sort of like a stir fry without the noodles. I am looking for really rich, earthy flavours.

Any other ingredient or recipe suggestions? Recipes can be completely unrelated as long as they have roo.

Cheers
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Re: Roo Stew

Post by Bigjobss » 09 Feb 2018, 11:30 pm

First thing that pops into my mind and totally works for roo is a nice slow cooked Beef Bourguignon style stew, you almost listed all the ingredients anyway.

Give it a quick google there are heaps of good recipes out there but my tip is go for the simple/classic ones (usually French).
Fewer good quality ingredients will always beat using many crappy ingredients.
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 10 Feb 2018, 12:07 am

Mate, firstly im a fan of the good old pressure cooker...thats how i do my stews..

When ever i do a stew, i often do 2 cooks...
The first with the meat, & preferably the bone as well...so if doing roo, maybe some backbone/tail...my guess is if using roo some bone will be a must--try to get some of the fat out from the bone marrow for flavour, so maybe even break the bones to open them up to aid in this...?...just a thought...
Also throw in a few vegies...i use sweet spud, spud, plenty carrots, an onion (try a red onion with roo-its a little sweeter) and mushies and celery...definately celery--always celery...all along with your tomatos, or i throw in a can of crushed tomatos...not too many vegies at this point, the idea here is for a stock/flavour base.

cook that until the meat is basically cooked--that gives me the cooked meat with a meat & vege stock basically.

Then i re-cook it again for the vegies--so throw in the amount of vegies i want for how ever much meat there is...(if all the vegies are cooked for the same length of time as the meat they turn to liquid--well in a pressure cooker they do anyway, so i re-cook with vegies for a short time so they have some firmness to them & its not like eating baby food--when im old(er) and have no teeth ill just have to cook it once... :lol: ).

I usually throw in some capsicum, zuchini etc at this point...what ever takes your fancy...go rustic & write it down...!!!
Throw in a table spoon (depending on size of cook maybe smaller spoon) of curry powder, & one of gravox if you like, & season and herb up with what ever herbs you like...a decent amount of black pepper is always mandatory for me, and you usually cant go too wrong with basic herbs like rosemary etc.
At the very end, i throw in a can of peas...stir through and devour...

I like sweet flavours as i have a sweet tooth...hence the carrots, sweet spud & can of peas at the end...if you want strong & earthy but not so sweet, try vegies such as parsnip, turnip and sweed & cut back on the sweeter vegies... try the larger darker mushies, & more of them--they are stronger in flavour...

If you dont want to use gravox, do a long slow sautee/cook first using lots of mushies, some vegie water & big knob of butter...if you sautee mushies long & slow enough with butter you get a nice creamy sauce...so you could try this as a nice sauce base for the roo stew...

Send pics mate...and remember go rustic & write it down so you know what to do/not to do next time...im hungry now...!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 10 Feb 2018, 6:29 am

Add a tablespoon or two(depends on the size of the stew) of vegemite a third or so can of beer and replace the onion with spring onion!! :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Roo farmer » 11 Feb 2018, 6:04 pm

Mitch@Ripley wrote:Looking for a recipe or idea for kangaroo other than just steaks with garlic mash. Kinda wanting to do a stew type thing with:

- Roo steaks cut into chunks, slivers, or left whole
- Bush tomatoes or small cherry tomatoes
- Swiss (small brown) mushrooms
- Onion
- Spuds (8ths)
- Few chillies

Basically put all the above in the electric frying pan at an appropriate time, I guess sort of like a stir fry without the noodles. I am looking for really rich, earthy flavours.

Any other ingredient or recipe suggestions? Recipes can be completely unrelated as long as they have roo.

Cheers

Fry the onions first. Put all those ingredients you mentioned into a slow cooker. Let it cook all day. Add curry powder or curry paste until you can't taste the meat. I have found that 'Pataks Rogan Josh Medium Curry Paste' works the best. Enjoy.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Blackened » 13 Feb 2018, 1:03 pm

Roo meat
Mushrooms ( earthy :thumbsup: )
Onion
Garlic
Tomatos
Red wine
Beef stock
Salt + Pepper + Parsley

Fry off the usual bits in the pot, add the rest and stew for 2 hours. Done.

Hearty as, guaranteed to put you into a food coma.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 13 Feb 2018, 4:52 pm

geez, roo was never really a target species for me, but ya got me thinking fellas. anyone got good recipes for rabbit ? got some nice plump rabbits from tenterfield a couple weeks ago.
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 13 Feb 2018, 10:27 pm

Onion. Garlic. Red capsicum. Roughly chopped. Into the camp oven while it's hot. Salt. Pepper. Maybe a chili or two to taste. Let it caramelise a bit. Add a bit of sugar as it gets going.

Add your chunks of meat and let it brown off while you toss it around a bit.

Close the camp oven for 5 or 10 mins to let it sweat a bit. Open and stir it up well.

Add tin or two of canned toms (or a whole bunch of fresh ones). Some oregano and basil. (Quantities depending on size of stew)
More seasoning. Wine, beer or stock until contents covered.
Close camp oven. Cover lid with coles. Add fresh coles around base. Check once an hour and don't add cole or ash to the stew.

Add mushies and olives after the first hour (if cbf, add these with stock, beer or wine).
If still simmering after first hour only add enough heat to keep it going and come back after you've had a bit of fun.
Takes between 3 hours and all day but you'll come back to a Cacciatore (hunter's stew).

Trick to it is to brown off the meat well enough so it doesn't fall to bits after a long cook. Don't worry. It won't be dry and eve n if the meat falls to bits it will still taste good.

Keep enough liquid and heat to it. You'll be sweet as, bro. :D

Mind you. Ya kind'a need to know how to set up your fire/s for a camp oven.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigrich » 14 Feb 2018, 4:48 pm

nice recipe gwion. i do a similar base for ox tail. on the gas stove but
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 14 Feb 2018, 8:54 pm

Yep... works with heaps of stuff. I have used it with wallaby but not roo. Should work alright.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Norton » 16 Feb 2018, 7:59 am

bigrich wrote:anyone got good recipes for rabbit ? got some nice plump rabbits from tenterfield a couple weeks ago.

The trick with rabbit is you've got to remember it's super lean, you need to add a bit of fat to pump up that flavour.

Works like any meat recipe, but add a couple of chopped up long bacon rashers. Not so many to turn it into a bacon dish, just like 1 good size rasher per rabbit, 2 if they're big bunnies.

Bit of pork fat or duck fat would works too.

:thumbsup:
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 18 Feb 2018, 6:09 pm

Here’s one for you. I make this for my family once a week/fortnight, my kids love it so much they actually ask for it and they are fussy little sh!ts.
Now I don’t actually measure quantities when I make it so what I write down is a guesstimate. I call it a Roo Ragout.

Around 500-750 grams of roo pieces, I like small finely sliced steaks/medallions but your preferred cut will be fine. Alternatively you could use pretty much any other kind of meat or combination of meats either sliced, chunked or minced.
Olive oil
1 cup finely chopped carrot
1 cup finely chopped celery
1 large brown onion, finely chopped
A few fresh garlic cloves or a couple of teaspoons of minced garlic from a jar.
Mixed herbs either dried kind or fresh, whatever is on hand, I like fresh basil, parsley and oregano from the garden.
2-3 cans of chopped tomatoes or similar quantity of fresh toms if you grow them in your garden like I do.
1 cup or so of mushrooms
Half a cup or so of black olives from a jar
Half a cup to a cup of red wine, white wine or beer.
Salt and pepper to taste
A tablespoon or so of sugar
A packet of your preferred pasta variety or rice as an alternative.
Cheese of your choice, I like fresh Parmesan.
If you like a bit of warmth/spice (I do), add your favourite fresh chilli or chilli powder/flakes for some variety.

Method: in a large pot, pan or camp oven, in olive oil lightly seer roo slices on med high heat, pull it out and put to the side.
Throw in the vegetables, salt, pepper, sugar and sauté till tender, chuck the garlic and meat back in for a couple of minutes then you can pretty much add everything else except the pasta. Bring ingredients to slow boil stirring regularly so not to burn in bottom of pan, once up to boil reduce the heat to low and slowly simmer for an hour or two or until meat is tender and flavour has developed.
Once done serve it up on a bed of your favourite cooked pasta or rice, top it with your favourite cheese and dig in.....
If you’re watching the waistline, it’s nice to sometimes substitute the pasta or rice with a big handful of fresh baby spinach leaves or some steamed broccoli etc..
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mitch@Ripley » 24 Feb 2018, 11:13 pm

Thanks for the ideas guys, definitely taking note of the above
Mitch@Ripley
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 31 Aug 2020, 2:45 pm

:) Try this and let me know what you you think. I tried it the other night, very nice. I cooked the steaks on the BBQ just drizzled a little olive oil over and used a small heavy pan for the Jus.
Cheers.

KANGAROO STEAK WITH BALSAMIC JUS...

2 KANGAROO STEAKS SALT & GROUND BLACK PEPPER TO TASTE
2 TBSP BUTTER - BBQ, 1 TBSP butter ( Balsamic Jus only).
1 SHALLOT VERY FINELY DICED.
1 HEAPED TSP . REDCURRENT OR PLUM JAM OR JELLY.
1 TSP. VERY FINELY CHOPPED FRESH ROSEMARY LEAVES, + SPRIG TO GARNISH.
¾ CUP RED WINE – MERLOT ETC. ( 2 steaks, ½ cup.)
1 TSP BALSAMIC VINEGAR.

METHOD.

1. Remove steaks from fridge 10-15 minutes to allow to come up to room temperature.
2. Heat heavy base pan to Med./High Heat. BBQ same
3. Season steaks with salt and pepper and place 1 tsp butter on each steak, place butter side down in hot pan. BBQ – S & P & drizzle lightly with olive oil.
4. Cook over high heat for 3-5 minutes each side. Depends on thickness – should be medium – rare.
5. Remove from pan, cover with foil and a tea towel and keep warm.

6. MAKE JUS. - Add remaining butter to pan, sizzle the shallots until soft (5 minutes), Add jelly or jam to pan for a few seconds until melted and starting to caramelise
7. Add wine, vinegar and rosemary to pan, stirring to lift pan drownings.
8. Boil hard until slightly reduces, about 5 minutes, adjust seasonings to taste and remove from heat.

9. TO SERVE – Slice steaks across grain and arrange on a bed of mash (potatoes or pumpkin).
10. Serve with broasdbeans and Balsamic Jus and garnish with a sprig of rosemary.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 31 Aug 2020, 5:36 pm

only things i make with roo is burgers, rissoles and VindaRoo
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 01 Sep 2020, 3:55 pm

Hi Ziege, am working on a Roo curry for the slow cooker. Yummo...
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 01 Sep 2020, 11:39 pm

yeah it goes good, roo does come into its own in strong flavored curries, not so good with tikka masala and that kinda stuff but with the bolder ones and with actual curry leaves its great
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Grandadbushy » 02 Sep 2020, 12:48 am

Try this one mate, cut roo meat into 2''x1'' chunks or take back straps, roll in flour, teaspoon white pepper, 2table spoons curry, 1teaspoon garlic powder, ( chilli if required ) once it's rolled in this put it on a plate and put it on ice or in fridge overnight . Next day take it out and lightly seal in frypan take vegies ie all chopped to 1 1/2'' square , pumpkin, potatoes, carrot, small onions or largely diced, 4-6 capers, table spoon finely diced ginger, 1/4 cup wine (optional) put roo meat into slow cooker and surround with the vegies pour in wine and almost cover with chicken stock or vegie stock. cook till meat starts to fall apart if squashed with a fork then thicken with flour mixed in water to make a gravy or it can be eaten as is after cooking with out thickening. NOTE you can put as many vegies as you like except tomatoes because i reckon they make roo slightly acidic in taste but that's me.
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 02 Sep 2020, 3:34 pm

Thanks GDB, will give ot a go..

PD. Can you tell that I'm bored shirtless with this COV-19 stuff. Can't get out, can't do it.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Sep 2020, 3:48 pm

You guys might know this already - be mindful of what oil you use when cooking roo / beef.
Olive oil doesn’t get hot enough and seems to leave the game flavour where as a proper fat at high temp, changes the flavour dramatically - to the point, I can eat the bloody stuff lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bugman » 02 Sep 2020, 6:39 pm

mmmmm Roo or bunny dishes. I'd better hop to it.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Hoppa 101 » 05 Jun 2022, 11:32 am

I do the roo tails in the camp oven satay style. Mix up coconut cream, peanut butter,chilli,soy, coriander and all the other usual stuff to make a rich sauce then cook until the meat falls off the bones. It's sticky, sweet and yummy :)
Animal Control Contractor
Hoppa 101
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by MtnMan » 05 Jun 2022, 7:08 pm

I have done a batch of diced roo in my all american pressure canner. I use vacola bottles.
Makes for an easy meal. Tender and butter.

Been meaning to try rabbit confit too.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 06 Jun 2022, 12:26 pm

Give the roo meat to the dog, use venison instead for the stew or go and buy some beef... :sarcasm:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Hoppa 101 » 06 Jun 2022, 7:18 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Give the roo meat to the dog, use venison instead for the stew or go and buy some beef... :sarcasm:

I got all excited when I shot a deer for the first time and I couldn't wait to try this supposedly delicious meat. What a disappointment. No taste at all. Give me a fat WA roo anytime. Deer are pet meat.
Hoppa 101
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 07 Jun 2022, 10:18 am

Yeah, well, we all have different tastes.
I've eaten plenty of roo meat, (you do what you do when you're hungry), but I'll put any other game meat in the pan in before I have to endure it.
I also believe that coriander is the spawn of the devil and should be exterminated from existence, but a bunch of folks think it's fantastic. :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Hoppa 101 » 07 Jun 2022, 8:52 pm

:shock: :)
Gamerancher wrote:Yeah, well, we all have different tastes.
I've eaten plenty of roo meat, (you do what you do when you're hungry), but I'll put any other game meat in the pan in before I have to endure it.
I also believe that coriander is the spawn of the devil and should be exterminated from existence, but a bunch of folks think it's fantastic.
:unknown:
Don't like coriander!? Shun the Unbeliever!! :lol:
Hoppa 101
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 08 Jun 2022, 9:40 am

Actually being allergic to the crap is a good reason not to like it. My missus isn't allergic but can't stand the taste of it, so it doesn't exist in my household.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation