Meat mincers, sausage makers & the like...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Meat mincers, sausage makers & the like...

Post by Stix » 28 Feb 2018, 7:50 pm

Im thinking ill buy myself a mincer to widen the horizons of eating the game meat i shoot...

So from those of you who have mincers/sausage makers/(any other meat prep epuipment) , be it cheap, expensive, or middle of the road...
#which brands/models do you have...
#would you get a different model/spend more/spend less/get a bigger/smaller one if you had your time again...
#any other comments...

Keen to open conversation & see what others use &/or can recommend...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Meat mincers, sausage makers & the like...

Post by Gwion » 28 Feb 2018, 9:46 pm

Go bigger. Anything hand cranked is a waste of time and extremely frustrating. For about $300 you can get a good mincer/ sausage extruder that will work quickly and efficiently for home use. Another couple hundred and your getting into small commercial quanties.

Honestly, it's one of those things that's worth spending once on. I've spent too many hours for substandard results with cheap shyte.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Wombat » 01 Mar 2018, 5:32 am

I've had decent results with a Kenwood chef with the mincer and sausage filler attachments. Bought a family member the same sort of setup for her Kitchen Aid mixer that also works well.
Only doing around 5 kg at a time though.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 01 Mar 2018, 7:12 am

I have a cheap hand cranked one however I made a platform for it and connect it to the lathe so its motor driven. Works ok I didnt have the $800-$1000 for the commercial grade mincer and when killing a cow or even a deer more with the cow i can get 60-100 kg of mince so it really does need something largish.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by marksman » 01 Mar 2018, 7:49 am

I've used the aldi mincer for a few years now and have a sausage stuffer
http://www.productreview.com.au/p/lumin ... inder.html
http://www.ebay.com/p/Hakka-11-Small-Ap ... 1532019150

I don't like the electronic stuffers on the mincers as they will turn your meat to mush if you don't keep the meat moving through quickly

I use collagen skins
you should to hang and drain the sausages after making them as you use a bit of liquid so the mix will pass through the stuffer easier
if you don't drain them they will explode, that's is how they got there name "bangers" from the diggers in world war 1
recipes are easy just mix some meat with what ever you like, fry it and try, if it works for you put it into skins
make sure you use 12-15% fat, I usually use pork fat if I can and about the same amount of bread crumbs to hold in the fat while cooking
honestly you will never buy sausages again :drinks: :thumbsup:

I forgot to add that I have a meat band saw for making chops ect
www.ebay.com.au/itm/MEAT-CUTTING-BAND-S ... SweW5VHedI
these are cheapo saws but if you can play with them a bit they are good,
I spent a few days resetting everything squaring it all up and making it work like an ozzie made one :lol:
I also changed the blade for a better quality one, it works well for me now but as it was new no it didn't

if you have a look in the photo I posted behind the sausages there is my smoker under the skins, it has the name mark on it :lol:
its a hark sold from anaconda but I chopped the top off and made an extra box to go on top with rods and hooks to smoke eels, now its a mark :lol:

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Bigjobss » 01 Mar 2018, 3:08 pm

Worth spending on a decent mincer if you intend on using it a bit, especially with venison, the sinew etc is pretty tuff stuff that breaks cheap mincers or needs heaps of trimming. My mate has an FLB and whilst around $500 it is the one I will eventually buy.

Stuffers - pic attached is the style that I have had most success with, used to battle through using the aldi mincer/stuffer and never again
sear-sausage-filler-and-maker-3_1.jpg
sear-sausage-filler-and-maker-3_1.jpg (21.6 KiB) Viewed 1915 times
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 02 Mar 2018, 9:59 pm

Great info guys...really helpful...thanks to all...!!

Marksman...sounds like you could go into production selling the "Marks" brand of home butchering & meat cooking equipment...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Off topic - General conversation