Any particular year to avoid ? (Cruisers)

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Any particular year to avoid ? (Cruisers)

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Mar 2018, 5:00 pm

Hi all,
I'm thinking of getting back behind the wheel of another Landcruiser.

Is there any particular year to avoid or to be wary of ? (Between 2005 and 2012) :unknown:

Other useful info would also be appreciated.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Any particular year to avoid ? (Cruisers)

Post by pete1 » 20 Mar 2018, 5:25 pm

Probably specify wagon or ute as they have a many differences
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 20 Mar 2018, 5:52 pm

I've seen two 200 series have problems with water crossings. They both got half way through the crossings and just stopped. On both occasions we had to wait several hours before they'd start. I don't know if it's a common problem or not. This was around 2010-11. :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Mar 2018, 7:09 pm

Personally I'd avoid all models between 1951 and 2018 and buy a 4.2 Patrol :lol:

All jokes aside, I'd be avoiding the late model V8 diesels, anything with the independent front suspension and all the petrol models.

My favorite cruisers are the 4.2 factory turbo diesels, they're definitely worth the extra money.

Are you looking for a ute, wagon or troopie ?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Corn » 20 Mar 2018, 7:24 pm

Hey OOW
Is there a particular reason for avoiding the V8 engine (diesel)?
Cheers
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 20 Mar 2018, 7:40 pm

Depends how you deal with low placed alternators ( prone to water and mud ingestion ) smaller rear axle track as opposed to the front so different wheel track front to rear ( crap in sand ) and super expensive maintanance costs.. as in sit down when its time to replace injectors however if your towing and carrying loads with a little more money invested into the vehicle theres not much better Australian spec vehicles to do the job
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Mar 2018, 8:39 pm

All those points as mentioned byAus Tac ...especially the extremely high maintenance costs. Do a search on what your injectors will cost when they s**t themselves :shock: over seven thousand dollars for the set :?
High engine oil consumption on the earlier v8’s
Bizarre wheel track issues with the front track being wider than the rear.

The turbo 6 is a simple tractor that any mug can work on and the power output feels awsome. Parts are affordable, eg. $600 for c/o injectors and the chassis is carrying heaps less weight.

Infact the V8 diesels are soo bad that they've actually increased the value of the turbo 6.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Mar 2018, 8:47 pm

Sorry, not enough info posted in my 1st. :oops:

I'd be looking at V8 diesel utes.

Definately not wagons or troopies,, (kids grownup and gone, and I'm not breeding more)

Towing would be a YES

Moderate off road these days.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Thom318 » 20 Mar 2018, 9:02 pm

The first couple of years of the V8 apparently had issues with dusting the engine due to the airbox design, leading to high oil consumption, and low compression, but I've only seen one of these and it was an ex-mine vehicle.
I've seen a few with injector issues, you can usually hear these straight up though.
They should be a good reliable car for what you want, just make sure you check any of them thoroughly, have a good service history with the right oil, and buy the best you can afford, same as any car really.
Thom318
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by darwindingo » 21 Mar 2018, 1:06 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Personally I'd avoid all models between 1951 and 2018 and buy a 4.2 Patrol :lol:

All jokes aside, I'd be avoiding the late model V8 diesels, anything with the independent front suspension and all the petrol models.

My favorite cruisers are the 4.2 factory turbo diesels, they're definitely worth the extra money.

Are you looking for a ute, wagon or troopie ?

Hey stop Pa---- Trolling the thread :lol: :lol: :lol: or I'll report you....... :twisted: :P :lol:

:allegedly:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Lifesaride » 21 Mar 2018, 8:36 am

I was actually chatting to my mechanic the other day regarding cruiser utes as I’m considering an upgrade myself. . Pre 2007, 1hz naturally aspirated, and 1hdfte turbo, are bulletproof as long as they have been well maintained. But you are looking at up to 35-40grand for a low km turbo diesel in good condition.

He said steer clear of the first few year models of the common rail v8, up to 09/10, there were a few small tweaks, but said a lot of the problems can be mitigated with an egr block and oil catch can. Injectors have come down in price but still are a big expense compared to the old diesels.
Cheers
Lifesaride
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 21 Mar 2018, 5:41 pm

Many thanks to one and all.
:thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by pete1 » 21 Mar 2018, 6:43 pm

Lifesaride wrote:I was actually chatting to my mechanic the other day regarding cruiser utes as I’m considering an upgrade myself. . Pre 2007, 1hz naturally aspirated, and 1hdfte turbo, are bulletproof as long as they have been well maintained. But you are looking at up to 35-40grand for a low km turbo diesel in good condition.

He said steer clear of the first few year models of the common rail v8, up to 09/10, there were a few small tweaks, but said a lot of the problems can be mitigated with an egr block and oil catch can. Injectors have come down in price but still are a big expense compared to the old diesels.
Cheers

EGR block and oil catch can, is a must on modern diesels in my opinion. EGR blocking can be done quite cheap with a blocking plate from Air On Board.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Corn » 22 Mar 2018, 9:36 am

Much appreciated guys on the tips, thoughts & info on the V8.
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 22 Mar 2018, 10:01 am

Landcruiser Choices

My 2 Cents...

We've had 4 models of trayback and one wagon over the years, and had some experience with the V8 utes as well (Neighbours / staff)
Nearly every Landcruiser model has a flaw in it.

[It doesnt mean I'd advise against them as a truck, but each model needs certain considerations..]

In years past, we had a 1973 petrol trayback ute (FJ47?), and a 1981 HJ47 diesel ute (2H motor). Neither of these are a model I'd seriously consider towing or touring with, though many people have done so (and continue to do so). I just think the later models offer a lot more capability; especially when it comes to being able to tow a trailer/van.

We currently have a 1995 75 series trayback; roughly 800,000kms on the original engine, and not burning any oil (yet).
The 75 Series utes were pretty bullet-proof, and the 1HZ 6-cylinder diesel(from about 1991 onwards) is a VERY long-life engine. Unfortunately, they are underpowered, and unless you found a turbo'd model, were struggling to even keep themselves at the speed limit; especially on a hill.
Talking to people who dragged crutching trailers around with this model, and it seems that towing heavy trailers will quickly take it's toll on the transmission/drivetrain.
[This likely applies to all models]
The 75 series does have the front and rear wheel-track roughly the same width; it makes for them to be okay in mud/soft dirt, though they are heavier than earlier models.
I have a suspicion the 75 series doesnt have the secondary fuel filter installed from factory (the non-common-rail diesels seems to cope better with crappy fuel with just the one filter, but a secondary is still a cheap insurance option).
The cabin on the 75 series is too small; the 79 series added 100mm in width and length, and it makes all the difference; especially if you fit a pair of bucket seats.

My current ute is a 2005 79 series trayback, with a 1HD-FTE 4.2L (factory) turbodiesel.
In my mind, this engine is the pick of the Landcruiser engines; lots of power, and well matched to the vehicle.
To be honest, this model would be my choice of Cruiser utes, though finding a good one these days is bloody expensive.
HOWEVER; they arent perfect. There is a problem with the fuel injection pump, which seems to appear around 150,000, and progressively gets worse.
Over time; When you let your foot off the throttle, the engine takes longer and longer to return to idle.
[I spent the first 8 months of this problem, where everyone told me it was the throttle delay built into this model. Given I'd driven this vehicle since new, I knew it was more than the freaking throttle delay]
From what I've been advised by 3 different mechanics, the problem IS real, and requires an injector pump rebuild to resolve.
I understand the last of this model Landcruiser just snuck into Toyota funding the rebuild, but anyone outside warranty(like me), are looking at roughly $4500 for the rebuild.
If I was buying one, I'd be checking if this work has been done, and if the vehicle is over 150K (most would be by now), I'd factor this into your buying decision, if it hasnt been done.
I know of 5 of this series who had this problem, out of roughly 10 of them that I know the owners.
[Mine is slowly getting worse, but can likely still do another 25K before I'll bite the bullet.]
Most people who have found this problem, drive them until you cant ignore it any more.
It doesnt seem to damage the engine by leaving it, but it gets progressively more annoying.
The 79 1HD-FTE does have a secondary fuel filter installed from factory, and so doesnt need an additional one.
The 79 series does also have a slight offset between front and rear track, but roughly 2 inches? Not enough to really notice, especially if you arent running the thin standard tyres. A good set of fats, and you barely notice it.
The 79 series runs the R151 gearbox, which is the same as the 100/105 series wagons. Probably slightly too higher gear for first for a ute, but pretty good for on the road.
They seem to have a pretty weak throwout bearing on the clutch from factory, and I've replaced mine, as well as a clutch.
I was told the clutch really didnt need replacing, but we thought we may as well, as they needed to open it up to resolve the throwout bearing (shuddering when starting out).
Another little quirk I discovered:- My ute went into limp-home mode one day, and would keep shutting the motor down when it returned to idle. You could re-start with the key, but bloody annoying.
I couldnt figure out what was happening. I then noticed that my indicators, wipers, and some of my instruments didnt work.
Mechanic found a rock had taken out the reverse switch on the gearbox, and when I had reversed next, it shorted/blew the fuse on that circuit.
The ECU depended on one of the inputs on that circuit, and so kept reverting to limp-home mode.
Until they could obtain a new reverse switch, they taped it all up, and I had no reverse lights for a fortnight, but everything else worked.
However, amazing how something relatively minor upset the crap out of the vehicle. (Joys of technology)

The V8 70 series seems (to me) an example of Toyota not really understanding their customers. I understand the V8 was introduced because they couldnt get the 1HD-FTE to meet euro-emissions (level 4 or 5??), but honestly?
SURELY, more work to tidy the 1HD-FTE up would have been a LOT better option than adding 2 more cylinders, needing to widen the front track even more(Now 4 inches difference), and making the vehicle less field-serviceable, and more emotional??
Most V8 cruiser owners out here (Cent. West QLD) would far prefer to get hold of one of the last turbo 6 diesels, rather than the V8, but they dont really have the option to chase down a low-kms turbo 6 any more, and it's not like they are much cheaper than a second-hand V8!

The early V8 cruiser utes didnt come with a secondary fuel filter(I suspect none of them do but cant be sure), and it is strongly reccomended to install one ASAP by any decent mechanics out here.
Our young station hand had an early V8 ute, and he found the fuel economy was nowhere near as good as advertised, and he experienced the oil consumption issue as well.
One neighbour has a 2014 ute, and is a bit nonplussed about it. He was bitching about the wheel track issues when driving home along a rutted dirt road the other day; he currently runs standard rims, but is now seriously considering changing over to fats.
I'd also agree with the idea of an EGR block & catch can; they seems to be a smart move.

I've read that there are 3 ways around the front/rear wheelbase issues on the V8 ute:
1). Have special rims made up to provide additional offset for the rear wheels- this seems like a very complicated and potentially problematic solution, but it seems this might be deemed acceptible by DOT?
2). Spacers on rear wheels to change the wheelbase - this is NOT sanctioned by DOT, and can lead to a world of hurt if you have a prang with them installed.
3). Apparently, you can get an incredibly expensive (but approved) axle extension done, to widen the rear wheel track.

You mightnt think you'll notice the different wheel track if you are mostly on sealed roads, but you will; especially when towing on roads that get a lot of heavy truck traffic. Bloody vehicle wanders all over the shop!

My 79 series ute has done quite a few long trips towing a tandem trailer, and you barely realise the trailer is there. More than enough grunt to keep at the speed limit, and hills dont seem to be a concern. I've never had the situation where I wished I had the V8.
If I'm REALLY lucky, I'll be able to eke another 10 years out of my ute, before I have to consider upgrading, and at that point, I'll seriously consider simply doing a complete rebuild of it instead.

As I said; my 2 cents.
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Roo farmer » 22 Mar 2018, 8:47 pm

Rod_outbak wrote:I have a suspicion the 75 series doesnt have the secondary fuel filter installed from factory (the non-common-rail diesels seems to cope better with crappy fuel with just the one filter, but a secondary is still a cheap insurance option).

The HJ75 with the 2H diesel have a single fuel filter as standard. The HZJ75 with the 1HZ diesel have two fuel filters as standard.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 23 Mar 2018, 5:51 am

Rod. That wasn't 2c; more like $8.50! :lol:

Good info... cheers.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Rod_outbak » 23 Mar 2018, 7:30 am

[quote="Roo farmer"][quote="Rod_outbak"]
I have a suspicion the 75 series doesnt have the secondary fuel filter installed from factory (the non-common-rail diesels seems to cope better with crappy fuel with just the one filter, but a secondary is still a cheap insurance option).[/quote]

The HJ75 with the 2H diesel have a single fuel filter as standard. The HZJ75 with the 1HZ diesel have two fuel filters as standard.[/quote]

I did wonder that about the 1HZ 75 series utes; didnt have the inclination to walk out to the shed to check.

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Rod_outbak » 23 Mar 2018, 7:40 am

[quote="Gwion"] Rod. That wasn't 2c; more like $8.50! :lol:

Good info... cheers.[/quote]

Yeah.....Got a bit carried away with it.....
Trying hard to procrastinate so I dont do the stinking horrid bookwork that is long overdue.
Sadly, bloody bookwork is STILL there!

I seriously need to go pokk something furry...

Cheers,

Rod.
---------------------
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Mar 2018, 10:08 am

This is why I think this forum is REAL value.
Ask a question on any subject, and your bound to get replies from people that have that very experience and or expertise.
Couple the replies up to the old saying "a million blowflies can't be wrong" and you very quickly sort out the fly s**t from the pepper.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clap:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Apr 2018, 10:34 pm

100_4787.JPG
100_4787.JPG (609.23 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
100_4786.JPG
100_4786.JPG (602.84 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
100_4785.JPG
100_4785.JPG (381.81 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
100_4783.JPG
100_4783.JPG (656.25 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
100_4778.JPG
100_4778.JPG (715.77 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
100_4777.JPG
100_4777.JPG (862.19 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
100_4780.JPG
100_4780.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 5155 times
100_4776.JPG
100_4776.JPG (834.09 KiB) Viewed 5155 times
Well fellas, I have taken on board all the suggestions and advice that came from my original question/s
I have gone with my head and not my heart, and am really pleased that I did.
I gave the idea of the Cruiser V8s the big flick.

I was very fortunate to find a factory turbo six cylinder HDJ79 series only an hours drive from home, that is probably considered to be like the proverbial rocking horse sh!t.
I bought it privately just after Easter.
I went backwards in years (it is 2005 model) but well worth it, especially as this will probably be the last vehicle I will buy.

Its done only 133,000 klms (when I took delivery) and is in extremely good condition. (one owner since new)
Featuring,
Performance Power Module chip,
Gen Toyota steel wheels,
Full synthetic oil in Diffs, gearbox and transfer case,
New alternator,
New windscreen,
Stereo system with amp and sub woofer,
New alpine stereo head unit,
New JVC 6x9 speakers
Roof console,
Door pockets
Black duck seat covers,
GME UHF and Aerial
Tow bar,
Custom steel bullbar,
Double brush rails,
Side steps,
9,000 lb winch,
LED light bar,
LED tail lights,
Upgraded H4 headlights,
Steel tray with Stainless floor,
Stainless 60L water tank,
Mud guard Tool Box,
Anderson plugs at tray,
TJM heavy duty suspension,
Rear airbag suspension assisted,
New Hi lift jack,
Fuel tank belly guard,
Radiator belly guard,
LS diff
Roof mounted spot light control,
3" exhaust

:D :D :D
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 17 Apr 2018, 11:28 pm

noice
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 17 Apr 2018, 11:33 pm

Hard to go past a classic!!!
Attachments
FB_IMG_1523971896692.jpg
FB_IMG_1523971896692.jpg (61.17 KiB) Viewed 5153 times
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 18 Apr 2018, 6:22 am

That should get ya to the shops DJ!! :lol: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 18 Apr 2018, 9:45 am

"Hard to go past a classic", I think not! I've seen old ladys on electric scooters pass those old things up hill. :lol:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by AusTac » 18 Apr 2018, 1:11 pm

Both nice cruisers pictured above! Good on you mate looks the business :thumbsup:
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Apr 2018, 6:06 pm

Daddybang wrote:That should get ya to the shops DJ!! :lol: :drinks:

Yep, sure thing,,,,,,,,, EXCEPT now I can't afford any lollies cos I spent all my coins on the cruiser.
:thumbsdown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Apr 2018, 10:20 pm

100_2683.JPG
100_2683.JPG (561.78 KiB) Viewed 5124 times
100_2270.JPG
100_2270.JPG (480.81 KiB) Viewed 5124 times
100_2247.JPG
100_2247.JPG (347.94 KiB) Viewed 5124 times
100_2439.JPG
100_2439.JPG (627.97 KiB) Viewed 5124 times
100_2241.JPG
100_2241.JPG (571.62 KiB) Viewed 5124 times
From my archives,,,,,, some of my earlier queens
:thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 19 Apr 2018, 7:52 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
100_4787.JPG
100_4786.JPG
100_4785.JPG
100_4783.JPG
100_4778.JPG
100_4777.JPG
100_4780.JPG
100_4776.JPG
Well fellas, I have taken on board all the suggestions and advice that came from my original question/s
I have gone with my head and not my heart, and am really pleased that I did.
I gave the idea of the Cruiser V8s the big flick.

I was very fortunate to find a factory turbo six cylinder HDJ79 series only an hours drive from home, that is probably considered to be like the proverbial rocking horse sh!t.
I bought it privately just after Easter.
I went backwards in years (it is 2005 model) but well worth it, especially as this will probably be the last vehicle I will buy.

Its done only 133,000 klms (when I took delivery) and is in extremely good condition. (one owner since new)
Featuring,
Performance Power Module chip,
Gen Toyota steel wheels,
Full synthetic oil in Diffs, gearbox and transfer case,
New alternator,
New windscreen,
Stereo system with amp and sub woofer,
New alpine stereo head unit,
New JVC 6x9 speakers
Roof console,
Door pockets
Black duck seat covers,
GME UHF and Aerial
Tow bar,
Custom steel bullbar,
Double brush rails,
Side steps,
9,000 lb winch,
LED light bar,
LED tail lights,
Upgraded H4 headlights,
Steel tray with Stainless floor,
Stainless 60L water tank,
Mud guard Tool Box,
Anderson plugs at tray,
TJM heavy duty suspension,
Rear airbag suspension assisted,
New Hi lift jack,
Fuel tank belly guard,
Radiator belly guard,
LS diff
Roof mounted spot light control,
3" exhaust

:D :D :D

Officially jealous as f*** lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 20 Apr 2018, 11:19 am

How a cruiser should look. I call her the Punter Hunter!! :thumbsup: :lol: :drinks:

20180420_091131.jpg
20180420_091131.jpg (1.51 MiB) Viewed 5095 times
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation