What’s the cost to post ammunition

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

What’s the cost to post ammunition

Post by Lifesaride » 08 Apr 2018, 8:51 pm

Gday
I’m getting a 22-250 sent up from a mate in nsw to me up in qld, but he’s got a few hundred handloads that he won’t have a use for. Just wondering if anyone has gone down this route, and what sort of cost I’d be looking at for getting the ammo sent up as dangerous goods with the rifle?
I don’t have any trips planned down that way for the next few months, and at 12+ hours each way it’s a bit out of the way for a quick trip.
Cheers
Lifesaride
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: What’s the cost to post ammunition

Post by bladeracer » 08 Apr 2018, 9:06 pm

Lifesaride wrote:Gday
I’m getting a 22-250 sent up from a mate in nsw to me up in qld, but he’s got a few hundred handloads that he won’t have a use for. Just wondering if anyone has gone down this route, and what sort of cost I’d be looking at for getting the ammo sent up as dangerous goods with the rifle?
I don’t have any trips planned down that way for the next few months, and at 12+ hours each way it’s a bit out of the way for a quick trip.
Cheers

To do it yourself you'd have to ask TNT as you can't post ammo, it has to go by courier.
Probably around $200 I would think.
Ideally, look for an interstate truckie with a firearms licence and have him bring them for you.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 08 Apr 2018, 9:10 pm

"look for an interstate truckie with a firearms licence and have him bring them for you." That's a smart idea, or a mate going that way.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 08 Apr 2018, 9:29 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"look for an interstate truckie with a firearms licence and have him bring them for you." That's a smart idea, or a mate going that way.

We live with ludicrous regulations that make it virtually impossible to transport even a single live round from one place to another - even to next door. But over a million firearm owners all across the country can transport as much ammo, powder and primers themselves as they want.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lifesaride » 08 Apr 2018, 9:34 pm

Cheers guys, a truckie is a great idea. I’ll look into it. Thought it would be the case that it wouldn’t be worth it cost wise. I’ll just have to get him to keep it in the back of the safe till I sort something out.
Lifesaride
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 09 Apr 2018, 12:08 am

DG Permit for ammo is $95, add that to the freight charge, the package may have to wait for a suitable load going in your direction. By suitable, I mean some Classes of DG cannot travel with certain other Classes, generally courier vans will only suffer a day or two delay, quite often none at all. Ring and ask. If you try to find a licenced truck driver, make sure you know him well or you'll never see your ammo, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lifesaride » 09 Apr 2018, 7:55 am

Yeah I wouldn’t be getting just anyone, got a mate diving b doubles, but he’s not heading this way at present. They can sit in the safe a bit longer until I can tee up a trip.
Cheers for the replies guys.
Lifesaride
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Off topic - General conversation