Buying your own shooting block?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Buying your own shooting block?

Post by Littlegem » 30 Apr 2018, 7:06 pm

Hey guys and girls I'm interested in looking at buying my own shooting block in either nsw or vic and curious what you guys have done, costs you didn't expect, what size roughly did you go for (I'm thinking 1000acres but also bigger is better but thinking upkeep will get expensive real quick, do you run any stock or otherways to negotiate costs etc?
Any thoughts or help will be greatly appreciated
Cheers GEM
Littlegem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Buying your own shooting block?

Post by duncan61 » 30 Apr 2018, 7:10 pm

I was looking at buying the farm I shoot on and planting blue gums.It is 830 Ha,Unfortunately the clay is not suitable for trees or it could of worked out.I have culled roos in blue gums and it is cool stalking up the rows
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by southeast varmiter » 30 Apr 2018, 7:47 pm

Check the type of neighbors first. If your shooting causes a nuisance you will need a PPP every time you shoot in Vic.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Corn » 30 Apr 2018, 9:54 pm

My parents used to allow farmers in their area to graze their cattle and sheep on their land from time to time. This helps keep the grass/hay down. Fresh water is a concern/thought that needs to be taken into account though.
Get good at doing your own fencing!
They didn’t have anything near 1000 acres though.

Good luck, hope it all works out for you.
Something something something
Corn
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Daddybang » 01 May 2018, 5:43 am

southeast varmiter wrote:Check the type of neighbors first. If your shooting causes a nuisance you will need a PPP every time you shoot in Vic.

This is very good advice!! :thumbsup:
Unfortunately not everyone who lives in the bush these dayd is shooting friendly!! :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Lifesaride » 01 May 2018, 8:53 am

Ive got a small block, 150acres running cattle. If you were going to go down the route of running stock, I’d be doing a lot of research. Infrastructure requirements, fencing, yards, water requirements, security, flood/fire risks, weeds, predation and welfare requirements. Then there’s stock prices.

If it was a weekender, fattening steers takes a lot less input than breeding cattle or sheep. Agistment could definitely be a good option if you were not there full time to generate a bit of income and also have someone coming and going regularly.
Cheers Leo
Lifesaride
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 01 May 2018, 5:43 pm

What area you thinking to purchase 1000acres? I've got 396acres in NW NSW I purchased as a shooting block / tax minimisation.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Littlegem » 03 May 2018, 8:32 pm

Sorry about the delay fellas been caught up with work, my ideal location would be around Capertee other wise anywhere along the great dividing range or vic nsw border, and won't be a weekender plan is to rent it out to the oldies cheap, gives them something to retire on and something for me to enjoy as well.

I do like the simplicity behind adjisting and helping out the neighbours/locals is never a bad thing, other option I have looked into is deer, judas goats and alpacas but all have there pro's and cons
Littlegem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 04 May 2018, 7:34 am

Deer and goats?
I hope you like fencing!!!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Littlegem » 04 May 2018, 7:04 pm

One or the other and the old boy used to manage a deer property for way to many years so fencing is 2nd nature to him, wether I could get him to agree to it again while paying rent is a whole nother issue hahaha
Littlegem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 04 May 2018, 7:08 pm

Sounds like a good arrangement if you can wrangle it. :thumbsup:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Littlegem » 04 May 2018, 7:32 pm

Tbh the Deer where he's idea, but I know the biggest pain of he's exsitance was poachers and the appeal of Deer to poachers and them feeling the need to possibly enter my property turns me off alot If I go that way I'd want to sit down with the local coppers and have a good chat of what they can and can't do as well as what they will and won't do to protect my family and assests in the middle of nowhere, because the days of the old boy shooting out spotlights etc as we all know are well amd truly over
Littlegem
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by NTSOG » 31 May 2018, 7:09 pm

southeast varmeter wrote: "Check the type of neighbors first. If your shooting causes a nuisance you will need a PPP every time you shoot in Vic."

What is a PPP?

We had the joy of an arrogant and very aggressive Pommy B****** come to live next to our farm on a three acre "estate'' years ago and try to 'lord it' over us. He complained about every farming activity to the shire ranger/by-laws officer and the local copper, hence I am somewhat wary nowadays. [He even complained - twice - to different authorities that our cows were mooing and deliberately scared horses being ridden, etc. Never mind the district is rated farming.] In the end a very serious copper spoke to the PB's face and told him to go back to live in a city, preferably London, if he didn't like the Australian country side.

So what is a PPP?

Jim
NTSOG
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 May 2018, 8:45 pm

I have wondered about the possibility of a group of shooters buying a block together, say one hundred shooters put in $5000 each to buy a $500,000 block. As owners of the property they're all allowed to shoot there, and if a neighbour complains you immediately have a hundred-name petition against them ;-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 01 Jun 2018, 7:45 am

bladeracer wrote:I have wondered about the possibility of a group of shooters buying a block together, say one hundred shooters put in $5000 each to buy a $500,000 block. As owners of the property they're all allowed to shoot there, and if a neighbour complains you immediately have a hundred-name petition against them ;-)

Me too. It wouldn't work as a block for hunting but owning a share of what is effectively a target shooting range with like-minded people where the group has set its own rules has appeal. The legalities around setting that up and managing it are straight forward enough. Not easy, but do-able..
Member-Deleted

Post by bladeracer » 01 Jun 2018, 11:23 am

Yes, that's what I was thinking. You don't need an "approved range" if you're shooting on your own property. If enough of us got together maybe we could lease a million acres of state forest to protect it from the bloody greens!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 02 Jun 2018, 5:50 pm

I like that idea to protect from the greenies.

Actually I considered buying 130acres recently to put a small (range) shooting area. But then I came to realization lol will do what ppl do best... complain. And only need 1 person to complain to cause issues. NBN canceled building a wireless tower cuz 6 ppl objected out of 260 properties and I know 4 lol objecting didn't even live in the area.

I think the block is still available and wasn't in whoop whoop as well
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by duckhead » 03 Jun 2018, 5:29 pm

I put a thread up recently asking the same question (property at Omeo/Swift Creek). I didnt spend any time looking through this forum for similar questions.

A syndicate to purchase a hunting property is a very intresting concept.

There are some really good examples of this been done before. There is a island off Port Whelspool (Vic) which was purchased by a group of hunters. Its really successful but is managed really well to. Very strick rules.

A farmer in SA who has brought property after property setting up conservation, wetlands, deer hunting. He sells the hunting. Wetland and Wildlife i think.

What we need is 50 shooters with $100,000. Buy a large scale farming property to lease out and convert to hunting. Say a big property in Moulemin or Wakool. Along both sides of the rivers. Set up rice farming to hunt ducks and introduce deer to breed and hunt. Lease the farming to local neighbour.

50 shooters $5,000,000 to purchase property. Would need lawyer to set-up contract. It could be run like the Island syndicate property at Port Welshpool.

Thoughts??????
duckhead
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Jun 2018, 6:05 pm

duckhead wrote:I put a thread up recently asking the same question (property at Omeo/Swift Creek). I didnt spend any time looking through this forum for similar questions.

A syndicate to purchase a hunting property is a very intresting concept.

There are some really good examples of this been done before. There is a island off Port Whelspool (Vic) which was purchased by a group of hunters. Its really successful but is managed really well to. Very strick rules.

A farmer in SA who has brought property after property setting up conservation, wetlands, deer hunting. He sells the hunting. Wetland and Wildlife i think.

What we need is 50 shooters with $100,000. Buy a large scale farming property to lease out and convert to hunting. Say a big property in Moulemin or Wakool. Along both sides of the rivers. Set up rice farming to hunt ducks and introduce deer to breed and hunt. Lease the farming to local neighbour.

50 shooters $5,000,000 to purchase property. Would need lawyer to set-up contract. It could be run like the Island syndicate property at Port Welshpool.

Thoughts??????

I think 50 is too small a number. If you're all joint partners I'd rather see at least a hundred people involved, preferably more.
But the idea is good.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 03 Jun 2018, 6:40 pm

I am not to sure about it myself. However I am always a skeptic and pretty conservative when it comes to those sort of things. Timeshares have certainly had their issues since the concept started.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Bills Shed » 03 Jun 2018, 6:40 pm

My thoughts are revolving around all those zeros. Love the idea, it would need to pay for itself as there is the government taxes and there will be insurance etc. I live on some land and there is always maintenance. Terms and conditions would all have to be upfront. If you can make it happen, more power to you.
Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Off topic - General conversation