Cats

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Cats

Post by Gaznazdiak » 02 Jun 2018, 9:42 am

As much as this may make me look to some like a soy latte sipper, try to bear with me.

Even though I'm a keen shooter, I'm also a sook for animals and I hate to think of any critter going hungry, particularly now it's below zero here every night.

I have a little old dog who lives in the house and sleeps on my bed. As she is 15 now, like me she needs to pee during the night so I leave the front door open to save having to get up to let her out.

Over the last 10 days I have noticed that food my girl hasn't eaten has disappeared from her dish in the kitchen overnight.

To rule out her having a midnight snack, I put a bowl of food on a bench on the front veranda where she can't get to it and lo and behold it too disappeared.

I have bought a trail camera to see if I can catch the muncher in the act but it's still a week away.

Has anyone heard of feral cats actually coming into a house where a dog lives?

My nearest neighbor is nearly 3km away and is definitely not a cat persin so it's not a house cat on the wander.
Last edited by Gaznazdiak on 02 Jun 2018, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Re: Cats

Post by Bent Arrow » 02 Jun 2018, 9:44 am

Rats a possibility?
Bent Arrow
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 02 Jun 2018, 10:25 am

Bent Arrow wrote:Rats a possibility?

No, I did have a serious Antichinus problem for a while but I trapped the lot of those turdmongering little bastards.

The dish of food I left out had a bone next to it to see if it just might have been a dog. The food disappeared, the bowl was licked clean and the bone remained but had been nibbled. A dog would have souvenired the bone I think.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 02 Jun 2018, 10:37 am

Cats & rats are both very cunning & courageous, so yes they will enter where a dog lives...especially as i imagine your bed is not next to the front door.
They will have sussed out that your dog is old & not a standing threat at night.
Foxes are cunning too, but they are way more unlikely to enter.

Is it every night...?
If not, more likely a cat, especially if there is plenty of feed choice around for it (mice rabbits birds etc).

Put out a cat/possum & a rat trap and you'll know before the camera arrives. :thumbsup:
But now im interested to see the pictures...! :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 02 Jun 2018, 11:36 am

I had it happen once before so I kept feeding, then late one night I was zoned out in my lazyboy chair when a cat landed in my lap.
He had a collar on, gave me a little growl hello, did the big stretch and curled up in my lap.
He was either lost from a passing grey-nomad vehicle or was dumped.
He's now two stones lighter and adopted to a cat person whose cats never get outdoors.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 02 Jun 2018, 1:31 pm

Or are you just being coy Gaz...?!!?

Hard up to the point you're happy to leave your door open for any ol' feral pussy to wander in & squat on your lap... :lol: :sarcasm:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2018, 1:37 pm

bentaz wrote:My dad used to have a fox that came right up on to his verandah to eat the dog food once the dogs came inside, they are bloody sneaky cunning little ******, could it be one of them?

That's what I was thinking too, my mate had dogs on chains and the foxes would know where their limit was and just keep out of range of em, I told him to adjust their chains so they can get to em nex time :lol:

Should be interesting if he gets around to doing it. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 02 Jun 2018, 3:44 pm

Stix wrote:Or are you just being coy Gaz...?!!?

Hard up to the point you're happy to leave your door open for any ol' feral pussy to wander in & squat on your lap... :lol: :sarcasm:

That's one of those "What's worse, a dead dog on your piano or an infected pussy on your organ?" type questions, huh?
:lol:
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 02 Jun 2018, 3:53 pm

Could be all of the above... 8-)

:lol: :lol:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 02 Jun 2018, 3:54 pm

bentaz wrote:My dad used to have a fox that came right up on to his verandah to eat the dog food once the dogs came inside, they are bloody sneaky cunning little ******, could it be one of them?

Perhaps, but I would have expected a fox to souvenir the pork bone, just like a dog would.

I know there is a cat around because I find rabbits that I've shot with their head and neck chewed off or ribs backward missing where others further from the sheds just vanish over night.

The last cat I saw was at the sheds stalking a rabbit I shot about 90min before but I had the rifle set up on the bonnet about 150m from the sheds and had wandered from the car for a squirt.
I tried to do an inconspicuous mosey back to the rifle but he caught the movement, gave me the finger with his tail and trotted under the shearing shed.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 02 Jun 2018, 4:43 pm

this maybe ?

:unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by YoungBuck » 02 Jun 2018, 4:48 pm

Domestic cats do it, I've caught neighbours cats in the past sneaking inside so ferals would be more cunning if anything. I'm going to wager you have a sly cat coming in and getting a free feed.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 02 Jun 2018, 4:51 pm

Check if the chandelier is still there Gaz...if not marksman could be on the money...! :lol: :sarcasm:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 02 Jun 2018, 5:11 pm

marksman wrote:this maybe ?

:unknown:

Hell no!
The dropbears ate all the carnivorous deer.
:D
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Rod_outbak » 03 Jun 2018, 7:24 am

Folks,

It is all important to ensure that when the Pokk comes upon you, you are selecting the correct tool for the job.

Take a look at the image attached…

When dealing with Senore Bunneye of the 'Ginger Ninja' Gang, you might be inclined to lean towards the left side of the picture…
When dealing with Hot Pork, Hot Boing, Hot Wuffy, Hot Pollie, or Even a Hot Goaty fresh from Crazy Goat Lady(neighbour), you'd be inclined to reach for the MIDDLE of the picture…

BUT; it goes without saying, that EVERY TIME, you encounter a bit of Hot Meow, you have an overwhelming compulsion to reach for the RIGHT HAND SIDE of the picture.
Am I right, or what??
Right or what??
Right???

For those who havent seen it, the right-most cartridge is one of the rounds for our newly returned-to-operation; the venerable Winchester 1885 "High-Wall" .45-90WCF.
103 years young this year, and from the shot I took from it Tuesday morning, just as fiesty as the day she left the factory in 1915…
7 and a bit centimetres of True Puddy Lovin in every trigger-pull.

I think there's something in that for all of us; don’t you??

[In answer to the original question, there is always the option to replace sections of wall inside the house, after the gunfire has ended...]

Cheers,

Rod.
Attachments
DSC_1538 (2).JPG
DSC_1538 (2).JPG (853.37 KiB) Viewed 4217 times
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 03 Jun 2018, 10:33 am

Thats sweet rod...your love of cats is very touching.

But skud missiles are not much chop in home invasion defense if you want to steal the shirt off the theives back...!

2018-06-03 09.48.23.jpg
Designer Clothing
2018-06-03 09.48.23.jpg (370.83 KiB) Viewed 4199 times
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 08 Jun 2018, 11:27 am

fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Jun 2018, 12:15 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-07/truckie-saves-pet-feral-cat-attack/9846240

I saw someone post that on AHN, it reminded me of the time I was hunting ducks and rabbits along the turon river when I spotted a rabbit, so jumped out of the dingy and headed over to some blackberries to poke my head up to have a shot at the rabbit, next thing I know is this bloody huge strippy grey cat with no tail came launching over the top of me and too off, which I did soon after as it scared the crap out of me, it's the biggest moggy I'd ever seen, sure as wasn't a standard house moggy I can tell you that. :shock:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gaznazdiak » 08 Jun 2018, 12:29 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Gaznazdiak wrote:http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-07/truckie-saves-pet-feral-cat-attack/9846240

I saw someone post that on AHN, it reminded me of the time I was hunting ducks and rabbits along the turon river when I spotted a rabbit, so jumped out of the dingy and headed over to some blackberries to poke my head up to have a shot at the rabbit, next thing I know is this bloody huge strippy grey cat with no tail came launching over the top of me and too off, which I did soon after as it scared the crap out of me, it's the biggest moggy I'd ever seen, sure as wasn't a standard house moggy I can tell you that. :shock:

G'day Scott,
Maybe he had is eye on the rabbit and was telling you to watch out :D.
I've often wondered where environmental selection pressures will take the feral cats, particularly in remote areas like the Blue Mountains. The biggest buggers, like that one, are going to get more nooky than the smaller ones, we might end up with them tackling sheep one day.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Jun 2018, 12:53 pm

Gaznazdiak wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

G'day Scott,
Maybe he had is eye on the rabbit and was telling you to watch out :D.
I've often wondered where environmental selection pressures will take the feral cats, particularly in remote areas like the Blue Mountains. The biggest buggers, like that one, are going to get more nooky than the smaller ones, we might end up with them tackling sheep one day.

Yeah Mick I think that's exactly what he was doing there, bloody made the hairs stand on end I can tell ya, had me thinking it was some sort of escape it was that big, I wish I'd had a pic of it but it happened that quick, it went one way and I went the other :lol:

It makes you wonder what is out there that we haven't seen yet, anythings possible in the Blue Mountains, lots of hard to get to places that probably haven't seen any humans in them at all, god knows what lurking in there. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by YoungBuck » 12 Jun 2018, 1:16 pm

Any updates on this mystery? Did you end up finding out if it was a cat?
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gaznazdiak » 12 Jun 2018, 1:44 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Any updates on this mystery? Did you end up finding out if it was a cat?

Yep big fluffy cat.
Picture on page 1 of the Trail Cam thread
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Gaznazdiak » 13 Jun 2018, 9:16 am

Amid sightings and claims of a cover-up, could the Lithgow panther actually exist?
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-13/c ... st/9116232
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Off topic - General conversation