Whats for lunch...?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Whats for lunch...?

Post by Stix » 13 Feb 2019, 5:54 am

I used around 15%...maybe a tad under...
Think i read that ages ago on here about making sausages... (a vague recollection from one of marksmsns posts... :unknown: )

15% seemed to work pretty well, definately doesnt wsnt or need any more fat...
Next time ill try 10% & see how they cook & taste.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 30 Apr 2019, 2:59 pm

Anyone got a good recipe for the gravy in a meat pie...other than a spoon of gravox...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 30 Apr 2019, 7:21 pm

Maggi is better....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 30 Apr 2019, 8:23 pm

Not that kind of gravy Pete...
But now you mention it, is that her name...?
Has she got a sister...you know...for poor ol' Stixy... :unknown:

Ah wait up...now i get ya...

So you make your own pies...?
If so...Which flavour Maggi you use...?
Wana share a recipe...? (No i dont mean that... im being serious now...!)
:unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 01 May 2019, 5:42 am

I just buy the bulk maggi from the local butcher. Best gravy there is and I tastes like what's in pies to me....
No,maggi is not her name lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 01 May 2019, 7:53 pm

its good stuff Stix its what my better half always uses

www.maggi.com.au/products/sauces/brown-onion-gravy
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 02 May 2019, 7:58 pm

Ok thanks guys...
If Pete likes it & your missus feeds it to you marksman...im in...!!

Im keen to try any recipies anyone has for their home made meat pies too...!

Every few years i go through a mad meat pie demolision--(i should buy shares in a tomato sauce factory as im sure their profit goes up when i get the taste of pies)...& im entering another phase now...

Now all i need is to get out & gets me some meat...!!
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 02 May 2019, 8:27 pm

Stix this is a thing I have recently tried for the snags and mince, I give it a 10 out of 10
helps make great burgers and snags
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/875gms-Chori ... 1438.l2649

there are other flavours as well :thumbsup:
Last edited by marksman on 02 May 2019, 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 02 May 2019, 8:45 pm

Good one marksman we've got a shop up here called butcher supplies and you can buy all types of stuff like that anything a butcher needs saws ,mincers, containers of all sizes anything there's a sausage mix called savory sausage mix its a little bit Italian in taste i'm thinking it would go good with deer meat as the Italians use it in dry sausages meaning sausages with little or no fat just a thought for you might get you interested I make maltese sausages I use shoulder pork parsley salt (very little)garlic
20% pork shoulder fat cracked pepper for every 8kg 1 cup of claret mince pork course mix all together and let sit in fridge for 48 hrs then put into skins I use natural skins you can get sheep belly skins or pig belly skins the maltese families drive me mad when I kill pigs for eating and I usually kill 5-6 more for them anyway I better not babble on too much :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 02 May 2019, 11:03 pm

marksman wrote:Stix this is a thing I have recently tried for the snags and mince, I give it a 10 out of 10
helps make great burgers and snags
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/875gms-Chori ... 1438.l2649

there are other flavours as well :thumbsup:

And you advertise this now you've bought them out of stock...
:lol:

I got hold of some similar type glaze's/marinade's recently...they were very cheap as getting close to best by date.

I was really hoping they would work well with rabbit but they didnt unfortunately... :thumbsdown:
They did go well with chicken though.

Ive got a very similar one in the cupboard i havnt tried yet, so if its no good ill give that one a crack.

Thanks Marksman.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 03 May 2019, 1:12 pm

Good one marksman we've got a shop up here called butcher supplies and you can buy all types of stuff like that anything a butcher needs saws ,mincers, containers of all sizes anything there's a sausage mix called savory sausage mix its a little bit Italian in taste i'm thinking it would go good with deer meat as the Italians use it in dry sausages meaning sausages with little or no fat just a thought for you might get you interested I make maltese sausages I use shoulder pork parsley salt (very little)garlic
20% pork shoulder fat cracked pepper for every 8kg 1 cup of claret mince pork course mix all together and let sit in fridge for 48 hrs then put into skins I use natural skins you can get sheep belly skins or pig belly skins the maltese families drive me mad when I kill pigs for eating and I usually kill 5-6 more for them anyway I better not babble on too much :thumbsup:

I agree 100%
I used this chorizo sausage mix with 10 kg of venison and 2 kg of pork fat using pig natural skins, I sat the mixture over night
they are a tad dry but the better half makes a bit of maggi gravy with it :thumbsup:

the son and I had a couple of burgers out of the bit that was left in the bottom of the stuffer that went down really well :drinks:
I would have a crack at this gear in pies Stix but I'm off bread and pastry at the moment
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 03 May 2019, 4:24 pm

marksman wrote:I used this chorizo sausage mix with 10 kg of venison and 2 kg of pork fat using pig natural skins, I sat the mixture over night
they are a tad dry but the better half makes a bit of maggi gravy with it :thumbsup:

the son and I had a couple of burgers out of the bit that was left in the bottom of the stuffer that went down really well :drinks:
I would have a crack at this gear in pies Stix but I'm off bread and pastry at the moment

I tried to do the same last year marksman, but i failed miserably...mostly because of the ease of bread being a simple hole filler, & there is also what is i guess being 'addicted'...or maybe accustomed to bread being used to mop up everything on a plate & leaving you with that 'full' feeling in the belly...

Im seriously up for any ideas you have/use to substitute the dreaded ol' 'processed wheat' habit...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 04 May 2019, 5:56 pm

Stix I just stopped eating it, no will power just wont power :lol:
it was hard at first because it is easy and as you say nothing beats wiping up the slop that's left by cleaning the plate off with some real nice bread
I just had to have other things available eg.. boiled eggs, sliced meat, cooked meat, tinned fish and baked beans
its not for everyone but it has worked for me :drinks: and I do not feel like I'm walking around with a brick in my gut anymore :unknown:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 29 May 2019, 12:02 pm

Well ive had a sachet of that tandaco coating mix that a couple of you fellow bunny eaters have recomended, on the shelf for over a year...

Never got around to trying it until last night...

Bunny was a young & tender but full grown buck that was aged for 7 nights in the fridge, then soaked in buttermilk for 24hrs...
Then rinsed off, drained & coated in the mix & left in fridge to set.

Pulled out the fridge for couple hours then dropped in the wok in hot cheap canola oil... (from Aldi...lol)
This is half the bunny.
2019-05-29 11.04.28.jpg
2019-05-29 11.04.28.jpg (421.21 KiB) Viewed 5975 times

No kidding,, it was incredibly juicy & tender, & the peppery flavour of the mix went well with the sweet young bunny flavour... :clap:
Even the normally dry saddle was like a young tender juicy chicken breast except it had flavour...!!!
2019-05-29 11.06.51.jpg
Juicy & tender
2019-05-29 11.06.51.jpg (462.55 KiB) Viewed 5975 times

Had to have a nibble of the front leg & very nearly didnt get to take any pics...
Gonna have to see if can buy this coating mix in bulk...!!

I rekon you bunny shooters a're mad to not try this once or twice--beats flavourless chicken hands down...!!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Jun 2019, 11:14 pm

Geeez those bunnies look bloody good Stix.
Hope these two youngens turn out as well.
Attachments
deeer.jpeg
deeer.jpeg (228.55 KiB) Viewed 5949 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 04 Jun 2019, 11:36 pm

Thanks Tas...those bunnies really were fantastic-ive eaten them my entire life & cant believe how tender & juicy they are that way

& as it so happens i had that same dish again tonight but with a slight change to the coating as an experiment--its such a good way to cook em.

And whats with those deer...?
Thought you're working... (or should i speak quietly...) 8-)

My first deer still eludes me...

Shame you're over there, id love to have a crack at them skins...!

Put up some pics of what you do with them...actually, just the cooking pics... :D
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 05 Jun 2019, 11:25 am

Stix wrote:Thanks Tas...those bunnies really were fantastic-ive eaten them my entire life & cant believe how tender & juicy they are that way

& as it so happens i had that same dish again tonight but with a slight change to the coating as an experiment--its such a good way to cook em.

Put up some pics of what you do with them...actually, just the cooking pics... :D

I'm working...hard....at working...lol

Had a slow cooked leg last night - was amazingly tender - I reckon the carcass of these ended up weighing 20's with all bones in to give some idea...they were pretty small.

I tell you what Id like to try with bunnies - get a bag of salt and vinegar chips, crush the chips and use that instead of bread crumbs...bit of tang, bit of bite and a whole lot of juicy bunny. :friends:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 05 Jun 2019, 11:52 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Stix wrote:Thanks Tas...those bunnies really were fantastic-ive eaten them my entire life & cant believe how tender & juicy they are that way

I'm working...hard....at working...lol

Had a slow cooked leg last night - was amazingly tender - I reckon the carcass of these ended up weighing 20's with all bones in to give some idea...they were pretty small.

I tell you what Id like to try with bunnies - get a bag of salt and vinegar chips, crush the chips and use that instead of bread crumbs...bit of tang, bit of bite and a whole lot of juicy bunny. :friends:

Whats the recipe for the deer leg/what'd you throw in the pot with it, & then on the plate with it...?
...and...pics...or it didnt happen...lol

Hmmm...crushed chips coating...i vote for chicken chips... :thumbsup:

I think you have to do it man...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 16 Oct 2019, 7:43 pm

So...needing to off-load some freezer stock for the coming (hopefully rewarding) spring bunny season...
I decided to knock ip a few pizzas & see how the meat from a roasted spring-legged bush chicken would fare...

Well im VERY pleased to say it was fantastic...!!
Just as good as any chicken pizza.

Just wrapped a young bunny in foil & sprinkled some fresh fine chopped garlic & rosemary & olive oil & baked it...
Then let it cool enough to pull meat off the bone & partially shred it...it was beautiful on its own & nearly didnt make the pizza... :lol:
2019-10-16 19.56.24.jpg
2019-10-16 19.56.24.jpg (472.78 KiB) Viewed 5909 times

I simmered some tomato passata with a small dollop of basil pesto & a good amount of fine chopped rosemary in it (i love fresh rosemary off the bush), until it was reduced & thickened to a sauce, & used that on most of the bases.
On one base i did bbq sauce...
2019-10-16 19.56.39.jpg
2019-10-16 19.56.39.jpg (448.67 KiB) Viewed 5909 times

I did quite a few varieties with various ingredients, & from there i randomly 'halved' all the toppings, so i dont have a definitive favourite mix of toppings.

I even did dome roasted sweet spud & a few thin sliced spuds...
Also capsicum & mushies, both raw & rosted & a lot of standard stuff too...
2019-10-16 19.56.52.jpg
2019-10-16 19.56.52.jpg (444.52 KiB) Viewed 5909 times

But i csn say the 2 best were...
...a savory type one that had tomato suace base with sauté smushies & roast capsicum with bacon & anchovies with fine chopped fresh garlic & rosemary sprinkle...

And also a sweeter version, with a little less tomato base, capsicum mushies bacon & a light drizzle of bbq sauce...
2019-10-16 19.57.06.jpg
2019-10-16 19.57.06.jpg (485.7 KiB) Viewed 5909 times

As for the rabbit--well with all those flavours i couldnt really taste it...but the meat was nice all the same & well worthy of pizza... :thumbsup:

By far the biggest letdown was this crap i bought that the supermarket wrongfully sold to me as "cheese"...
It turned out to be some kind of stretchy slightly rubberised yellow substance that looked like cheese...ill never buy it again...but sadly there must be lots out there who do, because they obviously have a market for it... :unknown:

Anyway...
The beauty of being a bachelor is i can just make a little room on the coffee table & eat them when i feel like taking a break from the dreaded task of case prep... :lol: :clap:
2019-10-16 19.57.18.jpg
2019-10-16 19.57.18.jpg (428.39 KiB) Viewed 5909 times

Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Oct 2019, 7:51 pm

Hey Stix mate I think that yellowish, sticky ,rubberised stuff might be ''Cabbage cheese '' vegans make it from milking cabbages (I think) ;) :lol: :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 16 Oct 2019, 8:22 pm

farken yummo Stix :thumbsup: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 29 Dec 2019, 11:29 am

Righto...
So, i like my lightly crumbed home done schnitty's...although crumbing them is rite PITA--im guaranteed to make a mess...

So with my new found kind of meat...
AKA...
2019-12-29 11.04.28.jpg
2019-12-29 11.04.28.jpg (21.82 KiB) Viewed 5847 times

2019-12-29 10.56.45.jpg
2019-12-29 10.56.45.jpg (28.3 KiB) Viewed 5847 times

So thought id try some mini schnitty's...
Thinly sliced a small section of backstrap & hammered it out with a tenderiser--not to tenderise it, but to make them even thinner & bigger area...
2019-12-28 21.31.21.jpg
2019-12-28 21.31.21.jpg (479.74 KiB) Viewed 5847 times

Very lightly crumbed em...for that i finely chopped the leaves of 10 inches or so of rosemary fresh off the bush, & toss that through panko crumbs as i rekon theyre a bit lighter...

Im not a fan of a schnitty being coated in a thick wall of glutinous clag, so i really wisk an egg in about the same volume of some milk that basically gives me a "sticky milk"...i find this gives me a nice thin coating of the crumbs...
That way i get the sweetness of a crispy crumb & can taste the meat a little, all without a clag brick sitting in my guts... :)

The crumbs here look thicker than they really are cos i tipped the rest of the crumbs over them to wash the dish...
2019-12-29 11.16.16.jpg
2019-12-29 11.16.16.jpg (46.24 KiB) Viewed 5847 times

So here is the last 2 baby bambi schnitty's finishing...
2019-12-28 21.32.50.jpg
2019-12-28 21.32.50.jpg (477.08 KiB) Viewed 5847 times

Bit of a boring salad to go with it...but a nice spring onion from the garden perked up the spud salad i made...
It was pretty warm so washed it down with a big icy glass of soda water that i crushed a kaffir lime leaf in & added a squirt of dry ginger for a bit of sweet refreshment...
2019-12-28 21.33.54.jpg
2019-12-28 21.33.54.jpg (406.51 KiB) Viewed 5847 times

The meat cooks in seconds, so to get some colour on the crumbs, i put them in a super hot pan with oil...
The schnitty's look a lot darker than they actually are/were...

All in all it was fantastic...
I celebrated by adding a nip of Scotch to the next drink... :clap:

So i rekon baby bambi snitty's with salad are the ducks nuts for a hot summer feed... :thumbsup:

I love it when an experiment with food works out a treat... :clap:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Dec 2019, 1:55 pm

Venison with a Balsamic Jus on mashed potatoes and greens, washed done with a N.Z. cold weather Merlot. I cooked this on the stove but better on a hot BBQ grill. Steaks only cooked for 2 minutes per side....

nz.10.jpg
N.Z. Venison steaks...
nz.10.jpg (161.56 KiB) Viewed 5836 times
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 29 Dec 2019, 3:43 pm

That looks the goods...!!

Whats the recipe for the sauce/jus...?...and what part of the animal are the steaks...?...(legs im guessing...?)...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Dec 2019, 4:56 pm

Yep off the legs.

All I did was -
1 Season the steaks with salt and pepper
2 Heat a iron frying pan over med/high heat
3 place 1 tsp of butter on each steak, place in pan and cook for about 1-2 minutes each side. Steaks should be rare.
4 Remove from the pan onto tin plate, cover with foil and rest.

Make up JUS -
1.chop 1 shallot/spring onion very fine dice
2. 1 heaped tsp of redcurrant or plum jam or jelly
3. Chop 1 tsp fresh rosemary leaves very fine + sprig for garnish.
4. 3/4 cup red wine - Merlot
5. 1 tbsp Balsamic vinegar.

Method -
*Add 1 - 11/2 tbsp butter to pan (leaves juices in from steaks) and sizzle the shallots until softened, about 5 minutes.
* Add jam/jelly and stir for a few seconds - until melted and starting to caramelise.
* Add Rosemary, wine and vinegar and stir to lift pan brownings and boil until reduced a bit, about 1-2 minutes. Add salt and pepper if needed.
To Serve. - All I did was slice the Venison across grain, and pile on top of mashed potatoes (or Pumpkin) and pour over Jus and garnish.

I just used the greens that was in the fridge to serve with.
Hope you enjoy.

I've done the steaks on the BBQ grille and it puts a nice crust on them - the Boss reckons that tastes better...
:)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 23 Jan 2020, 5:22 am

Im gonna give that a crack RJ...thanks for posting that recipe up... :thumbsup: :) :drinks:

Trouble is im not much a wine drinker...so ill have to crack a bottle one night and enjoy it...

I was boning out some young Fallow doe last night, so i decided to knock a few slices off of the topside, oil & season em up, let em come up to room temp then drop them in a smoking hot pan...
2020-01-22 22.04.33.jpg
2020-01-22 22.04.33.jpg (540.33 KiB) Viewed 5792 times

These have been aging in the fridge for 10 or so days, & still juicy as--check out the juices as the meat is resting...they were only on the plate for a minute here...
2020-01-22 22.05.06.jpg
2020-01-22 22.05.06.jpg (475.45 KiB) Viewed 5792 times

I was in a hurry so made a quick sauce/jus the cheats way...
Just a bit of water to lift all the pan bits & flavour, then after thats boiled for a minute, i throw in a dollop of a supermarket 'red wine & garlic' marinade...

Anyway...served it with my boring normal smash peas n carrots...
Over cooked them a little--couldve done with a minute or so less...
But still...it really was fantastic meat...beautifully tender & juicy...!!!
2020-01-23 05.21.48.jpg
2020-01-23 05.21.48.jpg (298.45 KiB) Viewed 5792 times

I thoroughly enjoyed them--its the first time ive had as steak & it definately wont be the last...
Ill be slicing a few steaks for the freezer out of the other leg...!!!

I cant wait to do your jus RJ...ive got some plumb sauce & red current jelly, so keen to try both...

Here's to head shot organic free range drug/hormone free meat...yay... :clap:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 23 Jan 2020, 8:31 am

you guys are making me hungry :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 23 Jan 2020, 10:38 am

That looks an absolute treat mate. Well Done. Pity my freezer is a absent of venison at present. Hmmm think I will have to rectify that shortly.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bill » 23 Jan 2020, 12:21 pm

looks bloody tasty stix, I do a similar thing no herbs but some spice, usually szechuan pepper and onion n garlic flakes, a little sesame oil with peanut oil :thumbsup:
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 23 Jan 2020, 5:57 pm

Thanks guys...it really a treat to eat...!!

st this stage im going back to same place this weekend, so hopefully i see another...

Id happily give you some if closer jimtom... :)

That sounds good Bill... :)

I usually go a bit of rosemary because i like the flavour, but this meat had almost no odour so i just gave it a sprinkling of cracked salt n pepper.

I was wondering about some heat in the form of chilli, but think ill get some of that pepper of yours... :thumbsup:

I do like flavour of sesame, do you know what proportions of peanut & sesame oil you use...?... :unknown:
Sesame is yummo but can be too much very quickly...

Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation