Whats for lunch...?

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Whats for lunch...?

Post by Stix » 07 Jun 2018, 6:46 pm

Jerky & spirits.. :thumbsup:

Bourban over Scotch Whisky... :unknown:

But the gaming controller in the pic...?...mate...some empty shells with a small scattering of powder...or a knife...gees even a hunting/shooting mag, sure...but a gaming controller... :roll:

:sarcasm:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 07 Jun 2018, 6:56 pm

Hahaha just can't please some folk :D

Dont get me wrong I am avid scotch drinker but this jerky is made with a little smoked paprika so the sweetness of a good bourbon was a better match.

And if you squint you can see just the latest field and game to the left :lol:
Bigjobss

Post by JimTom » 07 Jun 2018, 6:59 pm

Stix wrote:Jerky & spirits.. :thumbsup:

Bourban over Scotch Whisky... :unknown:

But the gaming controller in the pic...?...mate...some empty shells with a small scattering of powder...or a knife...gees even a hunting/shooting mag, sure...but a gaming controller... :roll:

:lol:
Would you believe I didn’t even see that controller. To busy looking at the jerky. Now you mention it though, it definitely doesn’t belong in that photo.
:lol: :lol:
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 07 Jun 2018, 7:02 pm

Just had a lovely meal of rabbit,sweet corn, and potato soup,except for having to pick out the odd bone
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 07 Jun 2018, 7:03 pm

How about a curried gummy shark pie...ive left the glass of riesing out of the shot out of fear of backlash! :lol: :lol: :drinks:
20180607_182224.jpg
20180607_182224.jpg (971.8 KiB) Viewed 5918 times
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 07 Jun 2018, 7:08 pm

I cant stand bourbon...dont know why...just the smell gets me all eeeyoowwww...

Love my Scotch though...! :clap:

Looks a relaxing wind down mate...good on you...!!! :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 07 Jun 2018, 7:08 pm

Bigjobss wrote:How about a curried gummy shark pie...ive left the glass of riesing out of the shot out of fear of backlash! :lol: :lol: :drinks:
20180607_182224.jpg

Riesling?????
What is your husband drinking? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kidding mate. Don’t mind a glass of veno myself on occasion.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 Jun 2018, 7:09 pm

bigpete wrote:Just had a lovely meal of rabbit,sweet corn, and potato soup,except for having to pick out the odd bone

Sounds good to mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 07 Jun 2018, 7:10 pm

Not so long ago there was someone suggesting a paddock to plate or similar. I guess it didn’t get up in the end eh?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Bigjobss » 07 Jun 2018, 7:17 pm

I remember that thread, maybe not enough response?

I was an exclusive scotch drinker for years but about 7-8 years ago I went down the bourbon and rye rabbit hole and never looked back

Oh yeh ive updated the jerky photo for you blokes :D
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 07 Jun 2018, 7:18 pm

Aoougghhh... :mrgreen:

Righto Bigjobss...

Got a room...?
Just big enough for a bed, a small loading bench, a gun safe, & a few shelves of Scotch...

Im comin over n movin in...!!!...& you're welcome to share my Scotch, with no fear of me touching your reeesling or bourban...(see i cant even spell them correctly...!)

Looks mighty fine food...!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 07 Jun 2018, 7:21 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Nice update...

You know i cant help but comment on the Pink "MAN STUFF" Text...

Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 07 Jun 2018, 7:25 pm

By the way Bigjobss...
I rekon ive got some gummy still in the freezer, wouldnt mind that recipe if youd be so inclined to pm it...or pm me & ill send you an email if its easier.

I was going to do a laksa with the gummy, but id love to give that pie a go...would be nice & filling...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 07 Jun 2018, 8:19 pm

Haha if the missus ever kicks me out we could get a flat together like the Odd Couple :lol:

I can put up the broad strokes of the recipe because i rarely follow them or work on exact quantities, im an ex cook so work more on feel and memory. If youre a half decent cook youll be able to adopt it, but you may need to play around with some quantities

Pastry - premade frozen puff, blind bake one sheet lined in a well greased dish for the casing and cool, reserve a sheet for the top

Filling - exact quantities depend on the amount of fish, but lets assume 600-800g of fillet cut into 50 cent piece sized cubes

Make a white sauce (butter and flour roux, slowly whisk in full fat milk until you have about half a litre of thickened sauce). As its simmering on low whisk in a couple heaped teaspoons of curry powder, i like keens, dijon or seeded mustard to taste - maybe a table spoon, salt, white pepper, grated parmesean cheese, a little chopped fresh flat leaf parsley and dill. Put aside

In a pan throw in a massive knob of butter and brown off a sliced leek, one chopped red onion and sliced garlic x 2-3 cloves, brown slowly adding a teaspoon of garam masala as you go, a little powdered ginger and a vegie stock cube goes well too.
Mixed frozen vegies and a 4 cubes of frozen spinach - around 0.5kg total - dont knock this stuff, cheap and full of nutrients and already chopped! Plus for this type of cooking it is almost good as fresh. Add defrosted to the browned aromatics untill softned then stir in the white sauce and bring to a simmer. Throw in gummy chunks, stir well untill theyre well coated and take of heat for 5 minutes, taste for seasoning.
The key here is to let the gummy cook while its baking, it can go in almost raw, nothing worse than overcooked fish, you want big juicy chunks in the pie, not a crumbling mess.

Fill the prebaked casing and top with pastry sheet, brush with egg wash and poke a few steam holes.
Bake at 180-200 untill golden brown, probably around 30 minutes.
Rest for 15-20 minutes before serving, you want it to set a little so it doesnt fall apart.
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 07 Jun 2018, 8:53 pm

That sounds a cracker...cheers BJ...!!
Im not a chef by any means...but like you i do quantities by feel too, so what you've posted is plenty for me to make it...
When it comes to quantities & cooking, the only exception for this with me is the amount of water for rice by volume--but i still give that a 'gauge' as such depending on the type of rice, as i find some rice needs more water.

And bugger this if she ever kicks you out bizo...ill come over & kick her out...she can get the flat...!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cheers :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 07 Jun 2018, 8:54 pm

Seems a pity to do anything with gummy shark other than lightly crumb it and fry it ;(
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 07 Jun 2018, 9:21 pm

:drinks:
Spot on with the rice observation.

I love a simple grilled flake or even beer battered but over the last 5 years Ive been catching so many of the buggers that I was getting sick of eating them to the point where I didnt target them at all last year, I even made gummy lasagne once :lol:
Bigjobss

Post by bigpete » 07 Jun 2018, 9:37 pm

Hell,send some to me if you're that sick of it !!!! :D
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 07 Jun 2018, 9:39 pm

bigpete wrote:Seems a pity to do anything with gummy shark other than lightly crumb it and fry it ;(

this has been sitting in the freezer for a bit too long, so as long as it holds together it'll do well in a pie.

But throw some fresh gummy chunks in a marinara whos base sauce is from fresh dug coffin cockles, right at the end to not over cook it & its dynamite...!!

The thin strips are good in a laksa too...nice & filling.

But crumbed fresh...yes...! :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 07 Jun 2018, 9:44 pm

Bigjobss wrote::drinks:
Spot on with the rice observation.

I love a simple grilled flake or even beer battered but over the last 5 years Ive been catching so many of the buggers that I was getting sick of eating them to the point where I didnt target them at all last year, I even made gummy lasagne once :lol:

Yep...i'll pay freight...!!

Hell ill come & pick em up...probably closer than the very odd occasion i go to get them from. :thumbsup:

A good filler for a nice green curry too if you have too many of them...!!...but you'll have to leave that reisling alone in place of a Sav Blonk for that dish... :lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 07 Jun 2018, 9:59 pm

You mean pippes dont ya? :sarcasm:
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 07 Jun 2018, 10:06 pm

...(bludy Mexicans n their silly names)... :sarcasm:
Last edited by Stix on 07 Jun 2018, 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 07 Jun 2018, 10:07 pm

As long as were talking french style blonk and not super fruity kiwi style I can live with that, but hey you south aussies have some pretty good dry rieslings (and some pretty overated shiraz :o )

Never made a green gummy curry but that sounds like a real good idea, i usually stick with wild duck in red curries if im in a curry mood
Bigjobss

Post by bigpete » 07 Jun 2018, 10:10 pm

Wine is yucko ! My work gave up trying to get me to drink their wine years ago
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bigjobss » 07 Jun 2018, 10:30 pm

Sounds like a wine for gummy swap is on the cards!
Bigjobss

Post by Stix » 07 Jun 2018, 10:43 pm

I had a hot as green curry once with salmon-as in fresh caught Australian salmon.
It would have been good except it was too hot & the cook couldn't be bothered whippin off the fillets, so it was a quick scale, cutlets, wash off the guts & drop in the curry.

Spent half the time pickin bones outa me mouth, & the rest of the time with head in a bucket of ice water...it was really hot...!! :oops: so hot, the next morning butt hole went down for a dunk...!

But a lighter & slightly sweeter green curry is good for a dense fish like that i rekon...well id give it a crack if i had too much of it..

Ive had fresh snapper fillets in a mussaman curry--dam nice...!!!...but that was in a restaurant & i cant replicate their mussaman which is a shame...!!!

And i agree Bigpete...as a general rule i think white wine is disgusting-im a plain beer n Scotch guy-but i will have a glass of a good dry sav blanc with a nice spread of Thai dishes...it seems to go nice. :)

Bigjobss wrote:Sounds like a wine for gummy swap is on the cards!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I like the idea of red duck curry...!! Ill have to go get meself a duck now...!! :clap:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 07 Jun 2018, 10:51 pm

Bigjobss wrote:Sounds like a wine for gummy swap is on the cards!

I'd be in for that lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 08 Jun 2018, 3:33 am

Sav blanc...

Sorry. Can't help it.

Massaman is a good option for fish curry. A laksa or tom yum would be good too.
Need to find me a good spot for gummies...

I tried the famous Taswegian scallop pie a few weeks ago... waste of good scallops, i reckon. Fish has no business with pastry but that's just me.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Bigjobss » 10 Jun 2018, 2:02 pm

About to start prepping up a sambar leg roast from a hind I shot two weekends ago. Garlic, tarragon and white wine will be the base flavours with a lotta butter, will follow up in about 4.5hours!
20180610_135228.jpg
20180610_135228.jpg (1.03 MiB) Viewed 5428 times
Bigjobss

Post by Bigjobss » 10 Jun 2018, 6:37 pm

Roasted the 4kg leg at 45min/per kg, with lots of butter basting to keep it moist, super lean animal.
Served it with a side of boiled greens, duck fat potatoes and a young cold climate shiraz. We have leftovers for a few days. :D
20180610_182945.jpg
20180610_182945.jpg (1.06 MiB) Viewed 5419 times
Bigjobss

Next

Return to Off topic - General conversation