Long term rifle storage places

Questions about Northern Territory gun and ammunition laws. N.T. Weapons Control Act.

Long term rifle storage places

Post by fordj » 03 Mar 2014, 3:03 pm

Hi guys,

I'm thinking about doing a bit of work/travel for a couple of months and don't really want to leave my stuff at home unattended for that long.

I see places like Kennard's Storage have some rifle storage options. Don't know about Kennards specifically, but that kind of place anyway...

Anyone used such a place?

Obviously if there offering it they must meet all storage requirements etc. Just wanna make sure I don't get myself into hot water by leaving it somewhere I'm not supposed to?

Cheers.
Tikka T3 Hunter in 308
Savage Model 10 in 22-250
fordj
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Re: Long term rifle storage places

Post by Guliver » 03 Mar 2014, 6:35 pm

Google brings up this link http://www.kennards.com/dev/frame_gun.html

Guns
Don't break the law and protect your family. Store your firearm in our legally complying, off-site and discrete gun storage lockers. In these times of ever-tightening firearm legislation it can be expensive and difficult for you to comply. Save your money and store with Kennards. We have designed some special firearm cabinets for short or long term storage of guns.

Heavy Gauge Steel Firearm Cabinets
To comply with Government Regulations. For the secure storage of your firearms.

Separate Ammunition Compartment
To comply with Government Regulations. The legislation requires that your ammunition be kept in a separate lock up compartment, our gun storage provides this.

Individual, Discrete and Private Spaces
You are the only person with access to your space. Your privacy is maintained and personal records are kept confidential. You keep the only keys to your space to ensure your own privacy and peace of mind.

Individually Alarmed Spaces
Our gun storage spaces are alarmed for better security of your valuable firearms.

CCTV
Activity in our storage centre is monitored by our CCTV system which discourages unwanted intruders.

Various Sizes
We have two different sizes for your collection. A 3 gun cabinet or a 5 gun cabinet are available.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wheelbarrow » 03 Mar 2014, 7:59 pm

You could always store with a firearms dealer.

Gotta be more secure than a regular storage place.

I imagine the requirements for a dealer are way above a rental place storing cat A/B. Can't imagine they're allowed to store anything more than that?
Nikon Monarch 4-16x42
Ruger Hawkeye Standard chambered in .270 Win
Wheelbarrow
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Harper » 03 Mar 2014, 8:07 pm

Pretty sure the cops will also store your shooters for you if you're going away for extended periods.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by DaleH » 04 Mar 2014, 10:14 am

Most LGS offer the facility for long term storage. One near me will charge $25 / firearm for how ever long you want to leave it there.
DaleH
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Bark » 04 Mar 2014, 12:37 pm

Harper wrote:Pretty sure the cops will also store your shooters for you if you're going away for extended periods.

A potential problem with that...

Pretty sure you can only give and retrieve your firearms from the district firearms officer, not just any of his fellow coppers over the counter.

A mate of mine gave over one of his to his local guy during some license issues, all cleared up now but he's been trying for weeks to get hold of the guy so he can pick his rifle up again.

Can't get hold of the bloke...
Bark
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by John » 15 Apr 2020, 10:28 am

If you’ve got a half decent safe at your residence I don’t see much of a problem leaving locked up at home and have a trusted friend stop by to check your house from time to time.
Or for a smallish fee get a security company to do random patrols through the night they generally charge a few dollars a call on private residences to do a walk around check doors windows ect if you go that way get them to put up a prob point at the rear of the property that they have to hit with a electric reader to verify there call and only pay for calls that show on prob report or you will get the 2by80 call 2 eyes at 80km no smoke no fire call as it’s known as by dodgy operators
I feel my safe is more than secure enough to keep them out long enough for alarm monitoring to ring me and a close by friend who will respond if I’m not around if by some reason we don’t answer guards are dispatched
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private