American moving to Northern Territory

Questions about Northern Territory gun and ammunition laws. N.T. Weapons Control Act.

American moving to Northern Territory

Post by JesseUSarmy » 23 Nov 2016, 1:41 am

hello everyone.

I'm moving to the Northern Territory in August-ish for 3 years or so. I'm in the US Army, I love shooting and hunting, so I figured that I would take this opportunity to learn about Australian gun laws, as well as hunting laws.

First off, I know I can't bring my semi-automatic rifles there, which sucks because I love my AR15 and my AR10.
So a few questions:

1)What is the law on bolt action rifles?
2)Is a detachable magazine in a bolt action legal?
3)Is there a capacity limit for magazines on bolt actions?
4)Can I ship to a dealer in Australia from the USA and have them hold my rifle until proper licenses are received.
5) Can I buy a semi automatic in Australia
6) can I buy a pistol
7) where can I hunt?
8) do I need to buy tags for hunting? (In America it varies state by state. However you generally buy a game "tag" for a specific animal and specific sex)
9) is there a safe storage law in Australia?
JesseUSarmy
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Re: American moving to Australia

Post by Supaduke » 23 Nov 2016, 9:54 am

1) all good
2) yes
3)for centre fire 10 rounds , some states 15 round rimfire
4)yes , but storage can get expensive. Depending how many guns, it may end up cheaper or more practical to buy a rifle here.
5)technically yes. But in your circumstances, no
6)yes, but it's a long process
7) I'm in a different state so
I don't know the rules there
8)some states require a game license for deer. Most feral/pest species do not require tags. Some states require tags for Kangaroo.
9) you will require a safe or approved container. (A sturdy safe like box)
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 23 Nov 2016, 10:56 am

Here is a link to the firearms registry in the NT, state laws vary so I haven't read all the details with the NT.

Send them an email if you have any questions, in my state NSW we allow Americans to bring their own rifle for approved hunting safaris but all the permits etc have to be approved before coming here.

www.pfes.nt.gov.au/Police/Firearms-Weapons.aspx
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 23 Nov 2016, 11:54 am

Supaduke wrote:3)for centre fire 10 rounds , some states 15 round rimfire
[10rds for pump/lever centrefire, 15 for bolt, No limit for primary producers, This is Vic, Possibly consistent with NT...??]
[unless of course he's allowed to work a sideline for a commercial operator...]

7) I understand there is limited public land hunting, pigs, geese near Darwin. The rest would be on pastoral land with permission/guiding, all the big stuff, Buff, Camels Donkeys etc...

The difference with Vic for example, most public land is effectively free range hunting, where state forest, National parks have limited seasonal access for game species...
Sambar deer is game all through the year, no tags, no bags, There are also Reds, Fallow, and Hog which are the exception with tags....Gun licence and Game Licence and you're good. Other states have limited/no public land hunting, private land only.

Hope you enjoy your stay :drinks:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gun-nut » 23 Nov 2016, 3:37 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
Supaduke wrote:3)for centre fire 10 rounds , some states 15 round rimfire
[10rds for pump/lever centrefire, 15 for bolt, No limit for primary producers, This is Vic, Possibly consistent with NT...??]
[unless of course he's allowed to work a sideline for a commercial operator...]

7) I understand there is limited public land hunting, pigs, geese near Darwin. The rest would be on pastoral land with permission/guiding, all the big stuff, Buff, Camels Donkeys etc...

The difference with Vic for example, most public land is effectively free range hunting, where state forest, National parks have limited seasonal access for game species...
Sambar deer is game all through the year, no tags, no bags, There are also Reds, Fallow, and Hog which are the exception with tags....Gun licence and Game Licence and you're good. Other states have limited/no public land hunting, private land only.

Hope you enjoy your stay :drinks:

I love living in Vic for that reason, hunting down here is pretty damn sweet. :D
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JesseUSarmy » 23 Nov 2016, 5:13 pm

Everyone, thank you for the replies.

The rifle I want to ship over, or bring with me, is a Ruger Precision rifle. I think I might just end up buying a rifle while I'm over there for hunting. maybe a 300 Win Mag and a 308 for hunting. Would love to bring my AR15's, but I knew before I took the assignment that wasn't happening.

Would like to do some big game hunting like buffalo or something, but I have a feeling that I'm going to be priced out of a guided tour (saw they were upwards of 10K with a low of 5K). Good to know feral animals are fair game all year. Have to get a boar and BBQ the whole bastard. Will probably talk to the local gun store owner to find out exactly where I can go in the NT/Alice Springs area to play it safe.

7-10 weeks is kind of long, but I'll be there for 3 years. only took 4 weeks (which is kind of long compared to majority of states, usually its 1 week tops, if not 20 minutes) for me to get a concealed carry license here in the states (Colorado) while rifles and pistols require no license to buy (with the exception of New York, New Jersey and maybe one other state for pistols) - just a back ground check required.

I'm really looking forward to moving there, should be a good time

I'd assume I can hunt in any territory provided you follow the laws of the territory. Being in Alice Spings i'm not far from SA territory. So I need 5 day camping trip will suffice.

Don't know anyone personally on here - obviously - but I'm always willing to meet new people and if anyone fancies a hunting trip for a few days I'd be definitely be up for one... with a bottle of whiskey for nights of course. Nothing finishes a long day on the hunt better than a bottle of bourbon.
Last edited by JesseUSarmy on 23 Nov 2016, 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JesseUSarmy
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Nov 2016, 5:16 pm

In case you didn't pick it up, the firearm laws each state or territory vary a bit. So you need to ensure anything you read is relevant to Northern Territory. Looks like superduke summed it up OK though.

Hope you enjoy the stay and keep away from the women. Were onto you yanks. :)

PS. We have real beer over here not that watered down piss you blokes drink, so go easy on the first session. :drinks: :lol:
Last edited by Oldbloke on 23 Nov 2016, 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JesseUSarmy » 23 Nov 2016, 5:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:In case you didn't pick it up, the firearm laws each state or territory vary a bit. So you need to ensure anything you read is relevant to Northern Territory. Looks like superduke summed it up OK though.

Hope you enjoy the stay and keep away from the women. We are onto you yanks. :)

hahaha, no worries about me picking up your women! I'm coming with a wife and 3 kids. If that happens, you might find my balls chopped off somewhere in the NT if you end up hunting out that way.

Yeah I saw they're different in each territory. Assume I can hunt anywhere provided I follow the laws of the territory.

Would I have to apply for a permit in each territory or is a permit from one territory valid in all?
JesseUSarmy
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Nov 2016, 5:36 pm

We have 2 territories the rest are states. But that's not important, just a name. Each licence is only good for the territory or state it is issued in. So you will need a Gun Lic for NT. You can then use it in another state or territory for a short period if you visit. (provided you abide by their laws obviously) I don't remember the time limit, perhaps 3 months.

If your wife relieves you of your balls, tell her to feed em to the crocks. They love them. :lol:
PS. The crocks are permitted to eat you but shooting them is off limits. I joke not, & they take a few in the NT every year, mainly fat tourists. LOL
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JesseUSarmy » 23 Nov 2016, 6:13 pm

Oldbloke wrote:We have 2 territories the rest are states. But that's not important, just a name. Each licence is only good for the territory or state it is issued in. So you will need a Gun Lic for NT. You can then use it in another state or territory for a short period if you visit. (provided you abide by their laws obviously) I don't remember the time limit, perhaps 3 months.

If your wife relieves you of your balls, tell her to feed em to the crocks. They love them. :lol:
PS. The crocks are permitted to eat you but shooting them is off limits. I joke not, & they take a few in the NT every year, mainly fat tourists. LOL

Lol, I'll let her know ahead of time.
Mainly fat tourists.. by that I assume you mean American tourists? Lol.

Kind of odd that it's only valid in one state/terrriroty and a national system isn't set up. Here you can a rifle in any state with a background check. Pistols only in your state of residency (some dumb law that dates back to Gun Control Act of 1932 - but that may be changing soon with a court case that's going through the system). Small things like that I guess I'll have to find out when I get there.

Odd law for the crocs. Finders keepers on a dead croc?
JesseUSarmy
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Nov 2016, 7:29 pm

Crock are great tucker. Lol. Just gotta go to the butcher.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 23 Nov 2016, 7:43 pm

Although we can certainly own handguns here, they are very restricted. You can only use them at an _approved_ range, and nowhere else. You can't do any informal practising on private property like in the US, and you certainly can't possess it anywhere without very good reason, like being en-route to a gunshop or range. And you must shoot competitions regularly to maintain your handgun licence.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 23 Nov 2016, 8:47 pm

Welcome to Australia and be prepared for a massive culture shock. I'm guessing you're currently operating out of Fort Carson and will be working at the Gap as part of the joint venture between our nations. If you haven't served in the middle east then be prepared for the desert heat during the day and near zero of a night time of our desert centre. The 300 Win Mag is a good caliber for Camel in the centre and if you get up Darwin way there's buff to be had but you might be a bit under gunned for the Drop Bears of the eastern states :) I have family in the U.S and a nephew by marriage currently serving in Iraq, I have nothing but respect for service men and women form here or our American allies. If you get near Sydney at all, get in touch and I'd be happy to show you and the family the sights.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JesseUSarmy » 23 Nov 2016, 10:09 pm

brett1868 wrote:Welcome to Australia and be prepared for a massive culture shock. I'm guessing you're currently operating out of Fort Carson and will be working at the Gap as part of the joint venture between our nations. If you haven't served in the middle east then be prepared for the desert heat during the day and near zero of a night time of our desert centre. The 300 Win Mag is a good caliber for Camel in the centre and if you get up Darwin way there's buff to be had but you might be a bit under gunned for the Drop Bears of the eastern states :) I have family in the U.S and a nephew by marriage currently serving in Iraq, I have nothing but respect for service men and women form here or our American allies. If you get near Sydney at all, get in touch and I'd be happy to show you and the family the sights.

Thanks!
Shouldn't be that bad of a shock. When I was younger and in college I lived in Spain and Peru and traveled to a few other countries along the way.

Although I'm looking forward to Australia, I'd much rather be in Iraq with your nephew. I was trying for a deployment to Iraq but efforts stopped when I was told I was going there instead.

Pretty much spot on with the military thing, although I'm actually at a smaller base a little north of Carson. Pissed I didn't get to do much hunting here. I missed the first round of tags for elk here last season (this time of the year), but got tags for this year, however it's been oddly warm for November and the unit I was hunting was too far down the mountains and nothing was out due to the heat. Super pissed. Figured I'd give it another go next year but now I'll just have to wait 3 years.

I'll definitely let you know when I make my way to Sydney. It won't be just me though, I'll have the whole family as well.
JesseUSarmy
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 23 Nov 2016, 10:23 pm

I'll definitely let you know when I make my way to Sydney. It won't be just me though, I'll have the whole family as well.

Not a problem, more the merrier :) My brother in law would disown me if I didn't offer hospitality to a US servicemen. I was in Santa Barbara in October last year and the warmth of the American people is truly impressive so it's an opportunity for me to repay the kindness. When you get settled in I'm sure there'll be plenty of opportunities on offer to hunt or shoot.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Nov 2016, 11:04 pm

Mate, ignore Bretts bull s**t about drop bears. Its just a local joke. But you MUST watch out for the Hoop Snakes. They will bite their own tail to make a hoop and roll down a hill to chase you. They can be very cagey and spend a lot of time just sunning them selves near the top of the local hills waiting for victims to walk past. Bit cane be deadly.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JesseUSarmy » 24 Nov 2016, 2:27 am

Oldbloke wrote:Mate, ignore Bretts bull s**t about drop bears. Its just a local joke. But you MUST watch out for the Hoop Snakes. They will bite their own tail to make a hoop and roll down a hill to chase you. They can be very cagey and spend a lot of time just sunning them selves near the top of the local hills waiting for victims to walk past. Bit cane be deadly.

Got chased by a Rocky Mountain hoop snake once. Similar to an Aussie hoop snake but these ones don't eat vegemite
JesseUSarmy
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Nov 2016, 7:26 am

JesseUSarmy wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:Mate, ignore Bretts bull s**t about drop bears. Its just a local joke. But you MUST watch out for the Hoop Snakes. They will bite their own tail to make a hoop and roll down a hill to chase you. They can be very cagey and spend a lot of time just sunning them selves near the top of the local hills waiting for victims to walk past. Bit cane be deadly.

Got chased by a Rocky Mountain hoop snake once. Similar to an Aussie hoop snake but these ones don't eat vegemite

:drinks: :welcome: I didnt know we exported them. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Nov 2016, 7:29 am

JesseUSarmy wrote:

Hoop snakes...pffffffft, we've got Brownies (Brown snakes) that will chase you from Darwin to Melbourne... and back again..and theyre dangged venomous
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Wylie27 » 24 Nov 2016, 9:55 am

True story. No this really is.

Family farm, we come across a brown snake near house, whip out the shotgun and it gets both barrels.

At which I time I speak up as I am jumping up on the back of the ute a god damned taipan is heading straight for us..

Never seen a shotgun reloaded so quickly!

Only in Australia can you be dealing with one of he most deadly snakes in the world and have a deadlier one intervene!
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by JesseUSarmy » 24 Nov 2016, 12:41 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
JesseUSarmy wrote:

Ya'll only export fosters.... :allegedly:

lol
JesseUSarmy
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by JesseUSarmy » 24 Nov 2016, 12:43 pm

Wylie27 wrote:True story. No this really is.

Family farm, we come across a brown snake near house, whip out the shotgun and it gets both barrels.

At which I time I speak up as I am jumping up on the back of the ute a god damned taipan is heading straight for us..

Never seen a shotgun reloaded so quickly!

Only in Australia can you be dealing with one of he most deadly snakes in the world and have a deadlier one intervene!

oh f**k that s**t. I hate snakes

I'm going to need a flame thrower while I'm there....does that require a license?
JesseUSarmy
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Nov 2016, 12:54 pm

Licence, Nah, but the safety bloke will need to train and assess you. :thumbsup:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 24 Nov 2016, 1:00 pm

JesseUSarmy wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
JesseUSarmy wrote:

Ya'll only export fosters.... :allegedly:

lol

YEP... we exports Fosters.... and keep the good stuff :D

actually, its more like import the good stuff, balance of trade n that....
Last edited by <<Genesis93>> on 24 Nov 2016, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Nov 2016, 5:17 pm

No, No, I make the good beer.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 24 Nov 2016, 6:36 pm

A little research material to prepare you.... :D

http://www.convictcreations.com/culture/jokes.html
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 25 Nov 2016, 1:12 pm

Oldbloke wrote:No, No, I make the good beer.

You must be one of the few.... all the commercial crap is .....pisswarmchungo. :lol:

the big names are all swill, high gravity brewed donkey do....the few small boutique brands occasionally create a masterfully fragrant and drink worthy beer, then when they get the work out they need to out source or otherwise commercialise and destroy it...

I'm tilting a Hoegaarden as I type.... one of my faves. German, Belgian, Austrian etc producers are required to label the ingredients; thats a big plus, apart from the taste, over Aussie beer.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by combo12 » 26 Nov 2016, 8:10 am

Jesse there is a shooting range near Alice with great facilities. I small sure if you go along there you will be made most welcome and get some good advice on how to best enjoy the local shooting/hunting opportunities. Quite a big expat US community live there too.
combo12
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Northern Territory gun laws